HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

At The Rink "New Jersey Devils Edition" - All Things Related To Playing Hockey

Old
01-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Semak

vCash:
I'm in town another couple of weeks. Any open hockey going on?

Old
01-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

vCash: 500
Always loved hockey but never played as a kid, so last year I bought all the gear and I've played open a few times at Floyd Hall (only ever did the AM games).. I taught myself how to skate but obviously I'm still not that great, though generally there are 1 or 2 people worse than me at skating when I play.. Still, played college baseball for a couple years so I'm pretty athletic and I watch a lot of games so I know where I should be on the ice..

What are PM games like at Floyd Hall? I just assumed AM was full of old guys who were slower like me, and PM would be faster young guys.. I wouldn't mind playing with some people I meet on here, because I generally feel very uncomfortable being by myself since I'm so new to the game

Colin226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 07:15 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

How much does open hockey at Floyd cost? I may consider coming by if I'm stuck in Saturday due to snow.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
How much does open hockey at Floyd cost? I may consider coming by if I'm stuck in Saturday due to snow.
I'm pretty sure it's $10

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
I'm pretty sure it's $10
Yup $10 and it might be free for goalies but I'm not sure about that..

I got to school at TCNJ down in Ewing and it sucks here.. Ice Land charges $10 to become an open hockey member so that you can pay $10 every time you want to play.. Nearest place to play at a good price is in PA

Old
01-18-2011, 07:44 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post

I got to school at TCNJ down in Ewing and it sucks here.. Ice Land charges $10 to become an open hockey member so that you can pay $10 every time you want to play.. Nearest place to play at a good price is in PA
Yea I do believe goalies are free

That's ridiculus down there with that member/price crap

I assume you live/grewup/etc in North Jersey based on the fact that you've played at Floyd before/also know the price.......we have so many opportunities for open puck up here between Floyd, the Vault, occasionally the Ice House and I've even seen postings here for other places about 20mins south of Bergen County, so you must really be itching to get back up to North Jersey hockey

Old
01-18-2011, 09:27 PM
devils0912

anyone else play pond hockey around here? i usually play in nutley and essex fells. wondering if there are any other popular spots.

devils0912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 09:31 PM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:

Did you notice that the rink to the left in Ice Land, that whole hall smells like ****.

VaxjoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:
Yea I do believe goalies are free

That's ridiculus down there with that member/price crap

I assume you live/grewup/etc in North Jersey based on the fact that you've played at Floyd before/also know the price.......we have so many opportunities for open puck up here between Floyd, the Vault, occasionally the Ice House and I've even seen postings here for other places about 20mins south of Bergen County, so you must really be itching to get back up to North Jersey hockey
Haha yup you pretty much summed it all up.. I'm from Caldwell, which is like 10-15 mins from Floyd.. I got hurt right before winter break so I couldn't play there and won't be back up for 6 weeks until spring break .. "Itching" is the perfect word for it too.. I hate the membership crap so yeah I can't wait to get back up to North Jersey and hit up Floyd for some reasonably priced open hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
Did you notice that the rink to the left in Ice Land, that whole hall smells like ****.
I skated on it once ($9 for open skating!!!!) and they had leaks in the ceiling so water was dripping on the ice.. It caused little "stalagmite-like" ice mounds to form and it was horrific.. Never going back there.. Didn't notice a smell but the friggen rink was all foggy like that game in Boston (I think it was Boston) many years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils0912 View Post
anyone else play pond hockey around here? i usually play in nutley and essex fells. wondering if there are any other popular spots.
Last year I found a roller rink in Parsippany (by the Embassy Suites on rt. 46) that the town had flooded and let freeze (had lights on too for night hockey).. That was awesome, but I went back around New Years and it was covered in snow with the lights off

Last edited by Colin226: 01-18-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old
01-18-2011, 10:11 PM
Blackjack

Quote:
I wouldn't mind playing with some people I meet on here, because I generally feel very uncomfortable being by myself since I'm so new to the game
I live near you, if you want to hit up a PM open hockey some night let me know. Play/skate here if you can: http://www.grundyarena.com/

I also go to their public skating often to work on my skating. Their Sunday afternoon sessions are awesome, no one on the ice. Do not go to their Saturday night public skate. It is literally mobbed by tweens. I'm usually not scared away by crowds but it was completely impossible to skate. I collided with 5 or 6 of them before I finally just left.

10 times better than that ****hole Ice Land.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 10:17 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
I live near you, if you want to hit up a PM open hockey some night let me know. Play/skate here if you can: http://www.grundyarena.com/

I also go to their public skating often to work on my skating. Their Sunday afternoon sessions are awesome, no one on the ice. Do not go to their Saturday night public skate. It is literally mobbed by tweens. I'm usually not scared away by crowds but it was completely impossible to skate. I collided with 5 or 6 of them before I finally just left.

Yeah I've been interested in going to Grundy because it seems like the closest place that is decent.. Once I figure out how much time I have this semester I'll look into open hockey and will definitely hit you up if I can make a PM open hockey session.. Thanks!!

Old
01-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Haha yup you pretty much summed it all up.. I'm from Caldwell, which is like 10-15 mins from Floyd.. I got hurt right before winter break so I couldn't play there and won't be back up for 6 weeks until spring break .. "Itching" is the perfect word for it too.. I hate the membership crap so yeah I can't wait to get back up to North Jersey and hit up Floyd for some reasonably priced open hockey
Yea that's not too bad, I'm in Paramus, so it's about 15-20mins also from Floyd

I haven't skated (whether it be roller or ice) since October or so and I'm itching just as much as you are to get back to skating

I went to a ton of opens from April-August last year so if you went to any between that time, there's a chance I played with/against you

Old
01-18-2011, 10:32 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:

I haven't skated (whether it be roller or ice) since October or so and I'm itching just as much as you are to get back to skating

I went to a ton of opens from April-August last year so if you went to any between that time, there's a chance I played with/against you
Yeah, actually, I went about 4 times in July so maybe we did play together.. If we did, I was the 6'4" guy looking very uneasy on his skates

I'll let you know when I'm going to Floyd again (probably early March)

Old
01-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Yeah, actually, I went about 4 times in July so maybe we did play together.. If we did, I was the 6'4" guy looking very uneasy on his skates

I'll let you know when I'm going to Floyd again (probably early March)
Yea definately, sounds good.......some others who post here live in this area also and frequent Floyd's open puck sessions

Old
01-18-2011, 10:39 PM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post

I know your frustration. I was at Ice Land last Sat. night to skate at the public skate, and I just gave up finally and went to the middle since there were no figure skating people. I started working on tight backwards crossovers and all of a sudden there are shouts from a tween girl group who decided to have a chat session in the middle. I just lost it and totally shouted at them to the the **** out of there I kinda felt bad after, but really, if you want to work on something it can be so frustrating.

VaxjoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 10:58 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

Quote:

That's pretty cool, I live in Emerson.

It sucks that the rinks around North Jersey don't have alot of stick time/open hockey. I play in the adult league at the Ice House every Sunday though.

I'm down to play anywhere not too too far if you get something together.

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:16 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Point Man View Post
That's pretty cool, I live in Emerson.

It sucks that the rinks around North Jersey don't have alot of stick time/open hockey. I play in the adult league at the Ice House every Sunday though.

I'm down to play anywhere not too too far if you get something together.
small world

If you live in Emerson I'm sure you've skated at Fritz Dietl then right? I learned to skate there when I was a pup

I normally go to open sessions at Floyd, rarely at the Ice Vault because that's a little further for me

One of these days we'll have to get something going because there are a good ammount of posters here who don't live terribly far apart where we could make something work

Old
01-19-2011, 12:32 AM
DevsFan84

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
Was interesting that the guy said he has noticed patterns of left/Right handed players in different regions. The US was predominantly RH, while a lot of Canada was more Lefty, except Montreal area. was just interesting.
I'm not familiar with that brand of stick, but the answer to that is simple: In Canada, coaches tend to teach their kids to keep their dominant hand on top of the stick, the opposite being true here in the states. Since 85ish% of the population is right handed, there is your answer.

Of course, this isn't set in stone- people do different things on both sides of the border.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 07:47 AM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan84 View Post
I'm not familiar with that brand of stick, but the answer to that is simple: In Canada, coaches tend to teach their kids to keep their dominant hand on top of the stick, the opposite being true here in the states. Since 85ish% of the population is right handed, there is your answer.

Of course, this isn't set in stone- people do different things on both sides of the border.
My brother came up with a good theory that a lot of Americans grow up playing baseball, and most baseball players bat righty.. Well, righty hitters stand to the left of home plate, so it makes sense that they would pick up a hockey stick and also stand to the left of the puck.. Zach Parise bats lefty in baseball, and is a lefty hockey player..

I would be interested in analyzing how NHL players (and MLB players who grew up playing hockey) bat and shoot a puck.. I think you would see a lot of guys doing the same thing

Old
01-19-2011, 08:02 AM
Cowbell232

I played the most physical beer league game ever last night. The refs were letting anything go... it looked like glorified high school out there. By the middle of the second period it was just open ice checking. It never devolved into slashing/hooking all over the place so that's probably everyone was getting away with it.

I also played a full game of defense for the first time, ever basically. One goal was probably my fault, and second was kind of maybe mine. But we ended up losing in a shootout even though we had no business being in the game at all.

At the start of the third period I was carrying the puck up and went around a couple guys in the neutral zone, and then I got under/over'd by this dude. Straight up open ice hip check in a non-checking league. No penalties called. So about 35 seconds I'm still on the same shift and pissed. He winds up for a slapshot and I trucked him. I saw the white of his eyes and just hit. He hit the ice like a ton of bricks, popped his helmet off and all.

I am paying the price this morning.

Ended up with an assist somewhere in the mess though. 7GP, 6G, 5A, 2PIMs, 2-3-2 team. Not too shabby for my second league ever...

01-19-2011, 08:12 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:

They have been giving away free sticks on HTM. and they range from $55 and up with the good models in the $99. I bought a SK 200 100 flex P2(Bauer P92) for $55. May be something to look into for your store.
http://www.blueicehockey.com/
If you call the guy, he has a whole bunch of things that aren't on his site, but he may not answer right away. I left an email and he called me back later that night. Said they were getting some crazy call volumes and inquiries from the Radio spots on Home Ice and HTM.

Quote:
My brother came up with a good theory that a lot of Americans grow up playing baseball, and most baseball players bat righty.. Well, righty hitters stand to the left of home plate, so it makes sense that they would pick up a hockey stick and also stand to the left of the puck.. Zach Parise bats lefty in baseball, and is a lefty hockey player..

I would be interested in analyzing how NHL players (and MLB players who grew up playing hockey) bat and shoot a puck.. I think you would see a lot of guys doing the same thing
There was a discussion on this a while ago, but it always goes in circles. I play golf/Baseball righty, but Lefty in hockey. My three brothers are all righty's. I almost chalked it up to when (age) you start, but no real scientific data.

Last edited by JRZ DVLS: 01-19-2011 at 08:20 AM.
JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 08:20 AM
DevsFan84

Quote:

That is an interesting theory. On the NHL level, I would argue that the majority of the US born players probably had a hockey stick in hand before a baseball bat, but I can see how that would work.

I took a look at our roster, the majority of the Devil's Canadian players shoot righty Oh well. I asked our Bauer rep once and that's what he told me.

When a customer comes in and asks me what side curve they should get their small child, I generally sell them a stick with no curve, and tell them to see how he's most comfortable.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 08:30 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
That is an interesting theory. On the NHL level, I would argue that the majority of the US born players probably had a hockey stick in hand before a baseball bat, but I can see how that would work.

I took a look at our roster, the majority of the Devil's Canadian players shoot righty Oh well. I asked our Bauer rep once and that's what he told me.

When a customer comes in and asks me what side curve they should get their small child, I generally sell them a stick with no curve, and tell them to see how he's most comfortable.
I'd just ask how the kid shovels or sweeps.

Oh, the Blue Ice rep said they are using the Nike Bauer facility for production.

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:

Damn, well it was worth a shot

Old
01-19-2011, 09:25 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

I write righty, catch with my left, but play hockey, golf and basball lefty.

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote