HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline Talk

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2011, 05:36 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The best cap move is to move Bob to the AHL.
I still think that would hurt the kid more than help him, too.

Old
01-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

I don't trust the Phantoms to develop Bob, and I don't see any goal improvements we can really afford.

Old
01-18-2011, 05:47 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Roloson would have been nice...........

Old
01-18-2011, 05:48 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I am okay with running with Bob and getting him experience and hoping it works out, especially with there not being much out there

Old
01-18-2011, 05:50 PM
SolidSnakeUS

You know what, we keep talking about getting another goalie, but look at what we've done and the wins we've racked up with the ones we have. They have done their job. They may not be #1's, but they sure as hell are doing well enough for us to win.

Old
01-18-2011, 05:50 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I still think that would hurt the kid more than help him, too.
I sometimes get caught in this mind frame too, but you have to look at what hurts the TEAM more.

Bobo has had a fair share of NHL games, and some AHL time wouldn't do irreversible damage.

With that said, I wouldn't want to trade any more future assets unless it is a deadline steal.

Old
01-18-2011, 09:00 PM
BernieParent

Sorry to be coming in after the fact. Jester, I just want to follow up on a couple of points. My first is where I believed you had contradicted yourself. Here are the statements:
Quote:
if Chicago had faced a legit goalie in the Finals, they wouldn't have won. Niemi was doing everything in his power to blow it, Leighton was just failing harder.
and
Quote:
any one player is not going to significantly impact your chances of reaching the Cup Finals or winning 'em. He's just not...
In the first, you single out Leighton as the weak link and the difference to the Flyers winning or losing the Cup. Then you said that no single player can make a significant difference. That was my point.

And as for being a big fan of lotteries, I don't buy the tickets because I know the monumental odds against. But a lottery is a lot more enticing when you know that one of the tickets has to be picked. And when, at worst, your odds are 1 in 16, that gets me motivated.

Old
01-18-2011, 09:48 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
You know what, we keep talking about getting another goalie, but look at what we've done and the wins we've racked up with the ones we have. They have done their job. They may not be #1's, but they sure as hell are doing well enough for us to win.
I wanted to make a thread discussing this, but considering how stacked our defense, does it not worry you that we are arguably one of the best teams in the league and haven't had a single shutout?

At what point does it bother you? That stat will catch up to us in the playoffs at some point.

What maybe even more telling is our 1GA games.

NYI x2
NYR x2
NJD x2
TOR
CAR
MIN
BOS
OTT

Pretty much the lowest scoring teams in the league.

Old
01-18-2011, 10:38 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
I wanted to make a thread discussing this, but considering how stacked our defense, does it not worry you that we are arguably one of the best teams in the league and haven't had a single shutout?

At what point does it bother you? That stat will catch up to us in the playoffs at some point.

NYI x2
NYR x2
NJD x2
TOR
CAR
MIN
BOS
OTT

If we win 16 post season games, I don't care if we give up 400 goals.

Old
01-18-2011, 11:05 PM
BernieParent

Quote:

NYI x2
NYR x2
NJD x2
TOR
CAR
MIN
BOS
OTT

Remember that there were a lot of flukey goals off the Flyers D to break shutouts. What worries me more than the lack of SOs is the invariable let-down at some point in each and every game. Tonight (without Pronger, granted) is a clear-cut example of having the game where you want it, and then pooping it away. In addition to the 2goals in under a minute, there were several golden changes for Washington in the slot, on partial breakaways, etc., that should not happen. They just keep making the same D blunders game after game, getting clogged in their own end, losing D assignments, and on and on and on.

You know what I'd like? I'd like one blowout game from start to finish, like the Bruins 7-0 over Florida. No letting up, no late goals to let Florida back in it. Keep the foot on the gas all game.

Old
01-18-2011, 11:12 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Remember that there were a lot of flukey goals off the Flyers D to break shutouts. What worries me more than the lack of SOs is the invariable let-down at some point in each and every game. Tonight (without Pronger, granted) is a clear-cut example of having the game where you want it, and then pooping it away. In addition to the 2goals in under a minute, there were several golden changes for Washington in the slot, on partial breakaways, etc., that should not happen. They just keep making the same D blunders game after game, getting clogged in their own end, losing D assignments, and on and on and on.

You know what I'd like? I'd like one blowout game from start to finish, like the Bruins 7-0 over Florida. No letting up, no late goals to let Florida back in it. Keep the foot on the gas all game.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2010020146
http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2010020220
http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2010020317

Old
01-18-2011, 11:17 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
If we win 16 post season games, I don't care if we give up 400 goals.
If we win 16 post season games, I don't care if we play with no goalie and just skate 6 players all game.

But wtf is the odds of that happening...?

Old
01-18-2011, 11:18 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
If we win 16 post season games, I don't care if we play with no goalie and just skate 6 players all game.

But wtf is the odds of that happening...?
50/50. Either it happens or it doesn't.

Old
01-18-2011, 11:22 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
50/50. Either it happens or it doesn't.
Sweet! I guess the lottery works that way too!

Old
01-18-2011, 11:23 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Sweet! I guess the lottery works that way too!
No. You have to get 7 numbers right in a row. So it's 50/50 on each of them, so it's much harder. ;-)

Old
01-18-2011, 11:25 PM
lancer247

Didn't Lavi use this goalie formula to win a cup in CAR?

Irbe = Boucher
Ward = Bob

Irbe was a journeyman goalie would have stretches of lights out play each season but wasn't a legit #1. Lavi used him for most of the season as the #1 and started the playoffs with him as #1.

Ward may or may not have been a rookie but he was young and took over in the playoffs and got real hot.

I don't know if Lavi can do that here but it would be tough for Homer to give up a major piece for a goalie upgrade when there doesn't seem to be any they can afford under the cap.

Old
01-18-2011, 11:37 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Tim Panaccio just reported on the Fly, the Flyers were interested on Alfredsson.

Old
01-18-2011, 11:40 PM
BernieParent

Thanks for these reminders, MountainHawk. How quickly I forget!

Old
01-18-2011, 11:42 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Didn't Lavi use this goalie formula to win a cup in CAR?

Irbe = Boucher
Ward = Bob

Irbe was a journeyman goalie would have stretches of lights out play each season but wasn't a legit #1. Lavi used him for most of the season as the #1 and started the playoffs with him as #1.

Ward may or may not have been a rookie but he was young and took over in the playoffs and got real hot.

I don't know if Lavi can do that here but it would be tough for Homer to give up a major piece for a goalie upgrade when there doesn't seem to be any they can afford under the cap.
It was Gerber and Ward. I've been wondering if this has been going through Laviolette's head as a serious playoff strategy: ride Boucher until he falls apart and hope that Bob can swoop in and take it to the house.

Old
01-18-2011, 11:45 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Tim Panaccio just reported on the Fly, the Flyers were interested on Alfredsson.
To do what? Seriously, Alfie has 2 years left (not counting this one) on a $4.875 mil, 35+ contract. He'd be great, even while losing a step or two, in a capless world, but Alfreddson just doesn't make sense.

Old
01-18-2011, 11:47 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
To do what? Seriously, Alfie has 2 years left (not counting this one) on a $4.875 mil, 35+ contract. He'd be great, even while losing a step or two, in a capless world, but Alfreddson just doesn't make sense.
His contract is borderline absurd in terms of trading, despite his talent.

Old
01-18-2011, 11:58 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
His contract is borderline absurd in terms of trading, despite his talent.
Alfredsson would be a nice pick-up for a young team with cap room looking to make a push towards the post-season, like St. Louis. But it wouldn't work for the Flyers at all.

Teams like St. Louis, TBay, Dallas -- who have millions of unused cap -- could be feasting on a Senators firesale.

Old
01-19-2011, 12:06 AM
lancer247

Quote:
It was Gerber and Ward. I've been wondering if this has been going through Laviolette's head as a serious playoff strategy: ride Boucher until he falls apart and hope that Bob can swoop in and take it to the house.
Thanks but yeah that was my thinking. At the very least they have a coach that has experience juggling the position if Homer doesn't make a move for a goalie.

Old
01-19-2011, 12:11 AM
lancer247

Does Ethan Moreau have anything left in the tank?

His numbers are bad this season ( 1g & 5pts, I think) in only 30-something games and he is scheduled to miss a week currently. However, he is a former captain, good size (6'3" 220lbs), and was a tough two way player. Not sure if he can still PK.

He makes $2MM and should take much to acquire. 4TH liner for the playoffs?

Old
01-19-2011, 07:03 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Does Ethan Moreau have anything left in the tank?

His numbers are bad this season ( 1g & 5pts, I think) in only 30-something games and he is scheduled to miss a week currently. However, he is a former captain, good size (6'3" 220lbs), and was a tough two way player. Not sure if he can still PK.

He makes $2MM and should take much to acquire. 4TH liner for the playoffs?
no. He's done.

Guys, if we can aquire alfie, then you can bet your arse homer is looking at what they want for him. People keep using the, but we are winning so why do we change it. When you can add a 15 year vet, captain, point per game player in the play-offs, without losing any of your starting lineup. You do it. We still need to move one of nodl, or powe off the top 3 lines.

My personal preference would be moulson, we trade Nodl, Bourdon, 3rd which changes to a first should we win the cup.

Closed Thread