HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New player looking for advice on skates "feeling"

Old
12-21-2010, 03:42 AM
umpft

vCash: 500
New player looking for advice on skates "feeling"

Hi there.

I'm an unexperienced player. This is the first season playing in a beer league and not in somebody's backyard. I love the game.

I am not sure if there's something wrong in my skates. Since I had not much money, at the beginning of the season I got a pair of Bauer one40. They are slightly big I think, but nothing excessive IMO and the smaller size was too small. They are also extra wide because over here the only hockey shop only stocks wide skates.

The left foot feels ok, except I'm getting from time to time a hard ball just under the internal malleoulus (the ball-like ox sticking out on the inside of your foot). That thing gives me pain every time I push on the foot (stopping and accelerating). But it goes away in ~3 days. Any experience with this?

The right foot on the other hand feels weird and, albeit this should be my fav foot, I don't have much edge control. The skate moves a bit like this while I move from one edge to the other:

This doesn't happen with the left foot! Is it normal? Do your skates tilt like that as well? Does it mean I have a weak ankle?

Should I get a new pair of skates? Good ones are expensive for my pockets and well, I want to hear the opinion of people with more experience than me before forking out the money.

Any advice really would be appreciated, I really don't know what to do. :/

Last edited by umpft: 12-21-2010 at 07:08 AM.
umpft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 08:44 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm guessing the skates are too wide in the heel/ankle pocket, so your foot moves around inside the boot, and you end up either slipping or overcompensating. Pretty common.

When you shop for skates, you want them to fit REALLY SNUG/TIGHT in the ankle/heel area. It should be an extension of your foot with no play or movement. Always go with the smaller size when in doubt because you can stretch skates out but can't shrink them.

For the other problem, I'm not sure what it is exactly you're describing, but you might need the skates punched out in that area for a little more room.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Skraut

I got the usual "there are no weak ankles, only poorly fitted skates" comment when I asked the same question, and to some extent it's true. However I'm a big guy, and for my size my ankles WERE weak, especially combined with skates that weren't broken in, and so couldn't be pulled as tight as they needed to be.

When I started I was pulling everything as tight as I could, and using up 120" of laces, with barely enough to tie. Yes the skates were baked, but over the course of the next year, the skates have broken in even more conforming a lot to my foot. I've actually been able to drop to 108" laces as I've been able to progressively tighten my boots even tighter.

In addition I've done quite a bit to strengthen my ankles. A lot of balancing on one foot, Working out with a BOSU ball etc.

Long story short, I had the exact same worries as you, but they've eventually corrected themselves, by me strengthening my ankles, and by my skates breaking in a bit more, and being able to tighten them further.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 05:30 AM
umpft

Thanks to you both for your replies. These skates and whether or not I should be starving myself to buy a new high-end pair are driving me mad.

I appreciate your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
For the other problem, I'm not sure what it is exactly you're describing, but you might need the skates punched out in that area for a little more room.
My description was quite bad, I can't blame you. Here are some pictures. Notice the bump ("ball") on the right foot.

My feet look EXACTLY like this guy's (a speed skater), since my phone's camera is very bad, I'll post his feet.

After researching a bit, I self-diagnosedt some kind of haglund's deformity (a painful but otherwise harmless condition, coming from too much sudden abuse of my feet and constant friction/pressure.) In fact, our skating sessions are quite hard, I went close to throwing up a couple of times and my skates are relatively new - I've worn them around 30 times, I am not sure when the break in process is supposed to end. It seems to be consistent.

If it actually that, it happens when the sac between tendon and bone gets inflamed. The ball is right over the tendon, and it moves up and down as I move the big toe, pulling the tendon. On bad days, I really can't even lace up the skates from the pain. On good days, the ball almost disappears and the pain is virtually zero. Normally I am somewhere in between.

In addition, I might be tightening my skates (Bauer ONE40, not baked) too hard trying to prevent my ankle to bend as I've posted above. I got new laces and one of those metal hooks for lacing up and I tighten them as much as I can, which might be a bad thing. Any advice on this? I am almost sure that the ankle bending when I switch edge is due to my muscles being sub-par. I've broken the heel of that foot not long time ago (6 months now) and I've been first on crutches then limping around for a couple months.

I am of the opinion that
* it would be wise to invest some more money in a new pair of baked skates, in order not to damage my feet too much and being able to progress technique-wise. Although that can't possibly happen before two months as I don't have the money right now.
* Maybe I could get a pair of used skates instead. At least that would spare the break in.
* Meanwhile I'll have that region punched out, if they know how to do it here (Europe, CH).

Last edited by umpft: 01-11-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old
01-11-2011, 07:43 AM
izzy3

I have (had) a similar problem because I broke my right ankle, it needed two ops to repair and it does have a wierd shape on the inside, fits different than the left one, and also weaker a bit.

First off, lacing your skates supertight is not necessarily the way to go, experiment a little bit, because 30 times should break the skates in. Around the footbed you can go snug (not tight), then tight just below the ankles and snug above (need waxed laces for this). With your foot shaped like that I'd advise to lace for comfort, and experiment what's best after that (you can lace perfectly tight, giving you 100% control, but after 10 mins of pain you will not be able to skate at all, thus having 95% control and comfortable means more hockey).

Your foot shaped like that you will probably have to buy skates which are thermoformable to be perfectly comfortable, I think the Supreme One70 is the cheapest one. My problem was solved with Reebok's pump system, I just put more air in the right cushion, so the weaker ankle has more support. Might not help you on the side of the foot, but you can just try a pair and see for yourself, if the aircushion helps releive the pressure on that bone.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 10:50 AM
umpft

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy3 View Post
I have (had) a similar problem because I broke my right ankle, it needed two ops to repair and it does have a wierd shape on the inside, fits different than the left one, and also weaker a bit.

First off, lacing your skates supertight is not necessarily the way to go, experiment a little bit, because 30 times should break the skates in. Around the footbed you can go snug (not tight), then tight just below the ankles and snug above (need waxed laces for this). With your foot shaped like that I'd advise to lace for comfort, and experiment what's best after that (you can lace perfectly tight, giving you 100% control, but after 10 mins of pain you will not be able to skate at all, thus having 95% control and comfortable means more hockey).

Your foot shaped like that you will probably have to buy skates which are thermoformable to be perfectly comfortable, I think the Supreme One70 is the cheapest one. My problem was solved with Reebok's pump system, I just put more air in the right cushion, so the weaker ankle has more support. Might not help you on the side of the foot, but you can just try a pair and see for yourself, if the aircushion helps releive the pressure on that bone.
Glad to see somebody has experience on this, thanks a lot.

I will def. try a pair of Supreme One70 then. Also the price is not hefty as I had expected (I was thinking I had to get something like a Graf or a One100, which cost twice as much)

I have had a pair of 6k in my hands and the air-cushion was very, very attractive. It was the last pair in the shop and they were a bit short. How is the air-cushion from the point of view of durability? How long have you had your skates?

Old
01-12-2011, 02:23 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpft View Post
Glad to see somebody has experience on this, thanks a lot.

I will def. try a pair of Supreme One70 then. Also the price is not hefty as I had expected (I was thinking I had to get something like a Graf or a One100, which cost twice as much)
You will not need a top-of-the-line skate, Reebok 8K, Vapor X:40 and Supreme One70 are all thermoformable.

Quote:
I have had a pair of 6k in my hands and the air-cushion was very, very attractive. It was the last pair in the shop and they were a bit short. How is the air-cushion from the point of view of durability? How long have you had your skates?
I know only one person who had the pump fail in his skates, but that was a roller boot. I play both roller and ice. The roller boot's pump is not as sturdy, also not as protected as the ice boot's pump. I have a 6K for both, the roller has around 100 x 1.5 hrs on it, the ice has around 50 x 1.5 hrs (bought it after I was so pleased with the roller). They both work just like on the first day. But even if I'd have to buy a new pair for each season I'd do it, because the comfort and the adjustability it gave me with my cripled ankle. Try them, and see if they help with your problem.

Old
01-13-2011, 09:06 AM
umpft

I've tried all the skates they had in the shop and eventually found one that fits me nice and snug. I've asked to have the troublesome spot on the foot slightly punched out and they did it well, now they seem to fit me like glove even if I tighten them very hard.

They're stiff but not insanely like the top-notch vapors and they happened to be a pair of 2009 RBK 8k, that carried a big discount.

I did not have them baked, because the guy said it's not strictly necessary especially if they already feel good. Overall, things look very promising, I'm going to try them on ice tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help over here. From now on, I'll buy cheap equipment BUT good skates...

Old
01-14-2011, 03:59 AM
izzy3

Don't you just love those sweet deals on last year's models.

Good luck, let us know how it went.

Old
01-14-2011, 05:38 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Just got a pair of Reebok 6K's last weekend. Upgrade from my CCM Vector 4.0s. Reebok, why did I ever doubt you? (My very uncomfortable RBK 2K rollerblade memories are fading fast now.)

Great support, very comfy on my odd/wide feet (inside of foot is mostly flat, but then my big toe curves inwards, most of the skates I tried on pinched my big toes right there).

Once I had them baked at the store, superfeet inserts, waxed laces I've never enjoyed skating so much. Feels like I gained a step or two now that I got used to them, and balance has also improved alot. Now riding a 2 game point streak, hopefully it keeps up.

Still figuring out the pumps, but liking them alot so far. Nice to have something to balance between support & comfort.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 07:02 PM
IrMitchell*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Just got a pair of Reebok 6K's last weekend. Upgrade from my CCM Vector 4.0s. Reebok, why did I ever doubt you? (My very uncomfortable RBK 2K rollerblade memories are fading fast now.)

Great support, very comfy on my odd/wide feet (inside of foot is mostly flat, but then my big toe curves inwards, most of the skates I tried on pinched my big toes right there).

Once I had them baked at the store, superfeet inserts, waxed laces I've never enjoyed skating so much. Feels like I gained a step or two now that I got used to them, and balance has also improved alot. Now riding a 2 game point streak, hopefully it keeps up.

Still figuring out the pumps, but liking them alot so far. Nice to have something to balance between support & comfort.
The 6k's are my favorite mid level skate on the market aside from the Vapor XXV's.

And oddly enough I find the 8k's to fit and feel better than the 9k's..

Anyways congrats on finding your skate, I still remember the first time I switched from an Easton to a Bauer, it just made me appreciate hockey so much more and never once had to deal with any sort of pain from that point forward.

IrMitchell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 04:12 AM
umpft

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy3 View Post
Don't you just love those sweet deals on last year's models.

Good luck, let us know how it went.
I have been skating twice to date on the new skates, next practice tomorrow. The first day they felt good, the second session (today) they felt really great and my skating has improved considerably. I've played well today!

They are nicely stiff without feeling like made of marble, they fit my feet snugly and I've been playing around with the pump thingy and it makes a definite difference, it supports to my weak ankle. I plan to reduce it each week to try and strengthen the joint. The best thing is that my bump doesn't give me pain (and it's disappearing!)

Overall, I'm very, very glad I got them, I enjoy skating again.

Thanks everyone.

Old
01-19-2011, 01:53 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpft View Post
The first day they felt good, the second session (today) they felt really great and my skating has improved considerably.
Sound like my first day on my 6Ks. Glad we could help, now have fun.