HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Matt Stajan

Old
01-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
Matt Stajan

The Flames and Feaster are going through an evaluation process of the entire team. Anyone in Calgary could be moved.

I am wondering what a team would be willing (if anything) to give up for Matt Stajan. Over the last 3 seasons he has consistently put up between 40-56 points (mind you alot of those have been top line minutes). He is fairly good defensively and a good FO guy. He has a cap hit 3.5 million and signed until 2013/14 season. I am just curious what other teams would be willing to trade for Stajan, or what they would want if he was packaged with something.

Thoughts?

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Leafssss

vCash: 500
Toronto offers you Tim Brent + Mike Komisarek, we could use a 3rd line centre.

Leafssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 08:58 PM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

On pace for 5-6 goals. Not very good defensively, not very good offensively. Imo one of if not the worst second line C in the nhl. He isnt set up for the third line because he makes 3.5m per year for, what, 3 more years after this season? Also, were his cap hit better, he simply isnt any good defensively. So, he has negative value, imo. Not a good hockey player being payed way too much.

Nachoman AlfieSavage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtonsApple View Post
On pace for 5-6 goals. Not very good defensively, not very good offensively. Imo one of if not the worst second line C in the nhl. He isnt set up for the third line because he makes 3.5m per year for, what, 3 more years after this season? Also, were his cap hit better, he simply isnt any good defensively. So, he has negative value, imo. Not a good hockey player being payed way too much.
Stajan is fine defensively. To call him one of the worst second line centres in the NHL is not accurate. He would upgrade a number of teams in the NHL at that position. He is not the most gifted offensive player, but he is not terrible. With Stajan what you see is what you get. I'll admit he is a little overpaid, but its not like he has a Kotalik, Kovalev or Gomez contract. He can still contribute to a team that is looking for depth. Given the direction the Flames are going, he would be one guy I could do without having on the roster.

Old
01-18-2011, 09:29 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

komisarek

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 10:49 PM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Stajan is fine defensively. To call him one of the worst second line centres in the NHL is not accurate. He would upgrade a number of teams in the NHL at that position. He is not the most gifted offensive player, but he is not terrible. With Stajan what you see is what you get. I'll admit he is a little overpaid, but its not like he has a Kotalik, Kovalev or Gomez contract. He can still contribute to a team that is looking for depth. Given the direction the Flames are going, he would be one guy I could do without having on the roster.
He is on pace for 5-6 goals this year. That is completely unacceptable for a second liner making 3.5m per year for 3 more years. I dont think there is a dedicated second line center in the league with lower goal projections.

Nobody in their right mind is not just going to eat up 3.5m in cap for a guy that has 3 goals halfway through the season, but also give up picks to get him. Its just not happening. He has negative value. Only thing you can hope for is another team wants to get rid of one of their useless players as bad as Calgary does.

And he is not fine defensively. He is sub-par at best. I say he's weak, especially along the boards in his own zone. He is easily pushed around, and 3 goals halfway through the year speak for itself with respect to his offensive ability.

Trust me, nobody wants Stajan. He is a horrible second liner, and paid way too much to be a third line center.

edit: Name one second line center which he would be enough of an upgrade over to give up a pick for. Just one.

Nachoman AlfieSavage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:25 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtonsApple View Post
He is on pace for 5-6 goals this year. That is completely unacceptable for a second liner making 3.5m per year for 3 more years. I dont think there is a dedicated second line center in the league with lower goal projections.

Nobody in their right mind is not just going to eat up 3.5m in cap for a guy that has 3 goals halfway through the season, but also give up picks to get him. Its just not happening. He has negative value. Only thing you can hope for is another team wants to get rid of one of their useless players as bad as Calgary does.

And he is not fine defensively. He is sub-par at best. I say he's weak, especially along the boards in his own zone. He is easily pushed around, and 3 goals halfway through the year speak for itself with respect to his offensive ability.

Trust me, nobody wants Stajan. He is a horrible second liner, and paid way too much to be a third line center.

edit: Name one second line center which he would be enough of an upgrade over to give up a pick for. Just one.
Lets get one thing straight, I am not Stajan's biggest supporter. If I was, I would not be suggesting to look at moving him. I don't think he is worth his contract dollar for dollar, and I think the Flames would be better off to have Stajan's money spent on getting another quality winger. However, he is not nearly as bad as you are making him out to be.

Its funny how you talk about his lack of goal scoring, but fail to mention his assists. He is on pace to get 30 assists this season. While that is not jaw dropping, it is decent production for a 2nd line centre. Being that the entire Flames offence has struggled this season, it is no surprise that Stajan is not having a career year. Personally I think Stajan would be a good fit in Phoenix.

Old
01-18-2011, 11:31 PM
DropIt

While he did miss a chunk of the beginning of the season, the guy is awful. I think we are stuck with his contract until its out, unless we receive Rolston back for him

DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:34 PM
woody

only value his another bad contract in return. Hello Mike Commodore

woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:37 PM
BurnEmUp

Stajan's shoulder is banged up.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting surgery in the off-season.

BurnEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Stajan makes 3.5 mil.? Good grief I thought it was 2.5, lol.

Wow did Sutter ever overpay. Stajan is an okay player at best. From what I've seen in TO he seems like a good locker room guy, but his skills on the ice are average. His decent defensively and ok offensively. He's like a borderline 2nd line center at best.

I doubt the Flames are able to move him now. However, he was banged up from day 1 of the season so he might pick his offense next year.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:11 AM
Iggy-4-50

Tough year for Stajan, lost all of training camp and rumors are he's still hurting. Let him get healthy over the summer and see what happens.

Iggy-4-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:40 AM
GeeoffBrown

Stajan has no value. He stinks.

GeeoffBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 01:05 AM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
While he did miss a chunk of the beginning of the season, the guy is awful. I think we are stuck with his contract until its out, unless we receive Rolston back for him
Is it wrong that I would almost consider doing this, I was just thinking to myself how awful of contract Stajan has. I would almost take the the extra 1.5 million next year to free up the extra two years Stajan would have left after. I really don't know what Sutter was thinking when he offered this contract. A few weeks after getting Stajan he signs him to a 4 year extension at a 2 million dollar raise per season and slaps a NTC on top of that.

Also everyone suggesting he is injured his numbers weren't that much better when he came to Calgary last season. He only had 3 goals in the 27 games and some assists like he does now and that was playing with Iggy. So based on that performance near seasons end I don't think the 3 goals he has now is much of a shock as maybe he should have around 7-9 if you put it into perspective.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 01:14 AM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

vCash: 2090
Stajan is not as bad as people judge him to be. Very decent playmaker, good hands and has a great "team" attitude. Overpaid yes but... come on... everyone has a few overpaid players on their team.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 01:18 AM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticLeaf55 View Post
Stajan is not as bad as people judge him to be. Very decent playmaker, good hands and has a great "team" attitude. Overpaid yes but... come on... everyone has a few overpaid players on their team.
Ya Calgary has about 5, someones got to go.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 01:22 AM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

I'll take him back for Komi.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:02 AM
Lunatik*

Stajan is really getting an unfair shake from Calgary fans... this is the first year of his career that he has struggled to score his usual 15ish goals... his assist totals are where they should be... and while Stajan isn't great in any aspect of the game he is good in every area and a very good team guy and always puts forth the effort we want

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:32 AM
Remember2004

OK
Cgy:
Komisarek
2nd rnd 2012

Tor:
Stajan
Babchuk
Pardy

Remember2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:40 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember2004 View Post
OK
Cgy:
Komisarek
2nd rnd 2012

Tor:
Stajan
Babchuk
Pardy
the Leafs don't do that...

Old
01-19-2011, 08:13 AM
J1mLahey

Stajan's value is minimal, and from a leafs stand point we don't want him back

J1mLahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 08:54 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

i still cant believe Sutter thought it was a good idea to sign him to that contract

Telfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfo View Post
i still cant believe Sutter thought it was a good idea to sign him to that contract
do you have an issue with Antropov's contract?... because if Stajan's is bad so is Antropov's

Old
01-19-2011, 10:21 AM
ComixZone

Stajan was awarded a "fair-value" contract based on his numbers last season. If you look up guys who score around the 50 pt mark, Stajan's contract is right in line with where it should be.

It's an absolutely unspectacular contract, but it's not team-hampering in anyway. Stajan is solid, but just like his contract, unspectacular. Which is a combination for about jack-all when it comes to trade value. I like him as a Flames fan, and want to see him succeed here. I'd love if he could get himself to to that 60 pt mark next season. Something about the guy just makes me want to see him succeed.

....he also gets obliterated by a huge check on an almost nightly basis, which is always fun.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 10:24 AM
pens83*

You know your team sucks when you want stajan.

pens83* is offline   Reply With Quote