HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#46: Capitals @ Flyers - Tuesday, Jan. 18, 2011 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
01-19-2011, 08:15 AM
wahoowa
All in the Game

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Nice.

Who would you say looked the best? the worst? And how was Bob?
Timonen was exceptional last night. Carter was also very good. JVR had another strong game, just not getting on the stat sheet recently.

Worst? Hard to say... I didn't notice anyone make too many dumb plays (Walker & Carle both played fairly well).

Bob was pretty good. Couldn't do too much on either of the goals and made a few real nice saves, most noticeably two on Chimera. He's looked very solid his last 3 games.

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 08:43 AM
PhillyFlying

Quote:
Nice.

good: no penalties, carter-giroux-jvr line, richards' offensive play, timonen-coburn, carle-mez, bob

bad: 40 seconds in the third period

down-right stupid: washington got a completely undeserved point in the standings

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 10:02 AM
AaronTrieu

you could tell the flyers sat back for 10 minutes and forgot what they were doing. Lavy calls a time out and the flyers started pressing again and really had control of the game the final 5 minutes. That carried into OT and the flyers score a little over a minute OT. We say it alot, but i really wish the flyers played like this for 60 minutes. Not 50 minutes. I guess its harder than it sounds though. When these guys want to play, no one can touch them.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 10:27 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Carter and JVR driving the net is becoming almost unstoppable, they are looking real strong with Roo. Coburn had a great game, as did all the D.

Leino needs to smarten up though, I have *****ed about his turnovers all year, but tonight's which lead to a goal almost cost us the game. Also, anyone else getting tired of Nodl carrying the puck into the Off zone and hitting the brakes looking for the back hand pass, he does it every single time I think he will be replaced via trade and then we are set. To play this last month almost all on the road with no Pronger and to have our record is

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 10:30 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Nice.

JVR-Carter-Giroux were awesome. As were Timonen-Coburn. Mez had a huge hit, and a GWG.

No one played bad really but Leino and Richards had awful turnovers. Carle and Walker were weak on D again.

Bob looked a little shaky on a few shopts, but then also made some great saves when it mattered

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

2 real bad giveaways leading to Caps goals but as a whole, not a bad effort. Refs put the whistles away, recipe for success for the best 5 on 5 team in hockey. The fact that we took no penalties is great but I'd say more to due with the officiating than anything the Flyers did or didn't do. Officials still could have called their regular poison game and made this a special teams affair. Bob played well and JVR does look very good with Carter.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 11:00 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
JVR-Carter-Giroux were awesome. As were Timonen-Coburn. Mez had a huge hit, and a GWG.

No one played bad really but Leino and Richards had awful turnovers. Carle and Walker were weak on D again.

Bob looked a little shaky on a few shopts, but then also made some great saves when it mattered
Both were fine. I'd even say Carle was very good. Walker needs to get rid of the puck a little quicker at times.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 11:08 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
2 real bad giveaways leading to Caps goals but as a whole, not a bad effort. Refs put the whistles away, recipe for success for the best 5 on 5 team in hockey. The fact that we took no penalties is great but I'd say more to due with the officiating than anything the Flyers did or didn't do. Officials still could have called their regular poison game and made this a special teams affair. Bob played well and JVR does look very good with Carter.
When Colon finds out the Flyers weren't shorthanded, he'll blow his stack. Lavy better start practising the PK....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 11:50 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhantic View Post
I know you're kidding, still by that logic then it's 50/50 for me to win the lottery as well....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
No. You have to get 7 numbers right in a row. So it's 50/50 on each of them, so it's much harder. ;-)

lol. This has come full circle. Go look at the trade deadline thread.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=855625&page=35

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 11:51 AM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

I actually noticed Walker had a nice stick lift to save a goal in the third. Needs to work on his clears, but sometimes it seems like the whole team does.

six sigma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:30 PM
DenverBoone

Quote:

Carle was great offensively and defensively. Walker is getting better every game, but it will be nice to get Pronger back.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:36 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Both were fine. I'd even say Carle was very good. Walker needs to get rid of the puck a little quicker at times.
Carle was good with Meszaros in the 3rd, but with Walker in the first they were getting pinned in our zone for long stretches.

Old
01-19-2011, 12:43 PM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
Everyone had a great game last night. They just need to work on keeping the leads, too many times they let teams back in the game. Someone should tell them that they are playing 4 periods instead of 3, that might fix the problem.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:49 PM
DUHockey9

It pains me to admit it because 1.7 million makes me cringe, but Walker is definitely an improvement to Bartulis. But, he'll be sitting once Pronger is back anyway. Perhaps they give OD a rest from time to time, but he deserves to be dressing every game.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:51 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:

JVR is really snake bit. He is definitely more deserving of more points then he has.
Cant remember the last time Leino turned the puck over that easily and it ended up in the back of the net for the other team.
Even tho Richards did have that bad turnover Coburn who while did have a pretty good game cannot let Ovechkin get that wide open going to the net. If Coburn ties him up or at least puts a body on him that goal doesnt happen IMO.
Bobrovsky was fine. he did his job. 25/27(or whatever it was) you should take every single time with what we have offensively

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 01:16 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
It pains me to admit it because 1.7 million makes me cringe, but Walker is definitely an improvement to Bartulis. But, he'll be sitting once Pronger is back anyway. Perhaps they give OD a rest from time to time, but he deserves to be dressing every game.
I think Bartulis could be as good as Walker, and is a far cheaper long-term solution. So as far as I'm concerned, I'd rather see Walker and his contract disappear.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I think Bartulis could be as good as Walker, and is a far cheaper long-term solution. So as far as I'm concerned, I'd rather see Walker and his contract disappear.
Considering that neither Walker or Bartulis will have an active spot on the roster once Pronger comes back, it's better to just lose Walker regardless. It's really bad cap management to have 1.7 mil being a healthy scratch.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 05:48 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Considering that neither Walker or Bartulis will have an active spot on the roster once Pronger comes back, it's better to just lose Walker regardless. It's really bad cap management to have 1.7 mil being a healthy scratch.
This season, Walker's $1.7M hit isn't having a meaningful impact of the team's ability to make a run for the Cup (the next two seasons are TBD).

I would much rather have him in the press box this season than Bartulis. When one of the top six inevitably goes down in the playoffs, I don't want a 6th defenseman to come in and play 5-7 minutes (and, consequently, wear down the others like last season). Walker can easily log over 10 minutes a game in a bottom pairing role... Bartulis, not so much.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 05:52 PM
HoverCarle*

pretty high talk for Walker after like 3 games CF88, especially when he has looked mediocre at best.

Old
01-19-2011, 06:00 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
pretty high talk for Walker after like 3 games CF88, especially when he has looked mediocre at best.
Walker hadn't played a game in almost a full calender year; everyone will still hate him by the time he's back to game shape, but he'll be miles ahead of Bart.

I want Bartulis to succeed, but the team's not lifting the Cup this year if he's on the roster every day come playoff time.

Old
01-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Walker hadn't played a game in almost a full calender year; everyone will still hate him by the time he's back to game shape, but he'll be miles ahead of Bart.

I want Bartulis to succeed, but the team's not lifting the Cup this year if he's on the roster every day come playoff time.
Bartulis is still a rookie for all intents and purposes. He needs playing time.

He can't play because he sucks and he sucks because he never plays.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 06:05 PM
HoverCarle*

I just dont know how bart will ever improve without playing him.

He has shown all the makings of a bottom pairing d man, he just needs to get more adjusted to the NHL game. He is decent at everything, which is good for a bottom pairing guy.

Old
01-19-2011, 06:07 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Bartulis is still a rookie for all intents and purposes. He needs playing time.

He can't play because he sucks and he sucks because he never plays.
Yep.

Old
01-19-2011, 06:51 PM
MCAKES

i just want to mention that yes they have lapses for a few minutes at a time ie rags caps but dont forget they might be getting tired playing a super agressive forecheck style the whole game. both physically and mentally demanding

MCAKES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 06:53 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
got to do a better job cleaning up the 3rd period. The Boston game was a disaster, the Rangers scored a couple a made the game closer then it should of been and tonight they blew a 2 goal lead in a game they had full control of.
Coburn with another brain fart. I mean how do you lose Ovechkin and let him score that goal. Thankfully Mez stepped up and scored a rare goal.
Its going to be interesting how the team responds when Pronger returns.
That was ****ing pathetic, I mean, Coburn looked like a world-beater for portions of that game, but that goal was a ****ing joke, no idea what he was doing.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote