HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill X

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2011, 01:40 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

vCash: 500
I think it's either Willie Mitchell or Ponikarovsky, WM probably thought we'd be a contender by now; not a bottom feeder lol

Old
01-19-2011, 01:47 AM
Martyros

Drewiske's my guess.

Old
01-19-2011, 03:11 AM
LAMoFoKANGS*

does the nhl allow teams to trade coaches??

Old
01-19-2011, 03:57 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Old
01-19-2011, 04:00 AM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
And Hang up!

Ring
Ring

Hello!

Old
01-19-2011, 06:57 AM
redcard

I think if I was a 27 year old pending UFA who's been a healthy scratch for 28 of the 46 games this season I'd ask for a trade.

Old
01-19-2011, 07:13 AM
Orenji

Something WILL happen today. I feel it.

We will either trade someone or someone is getting fired. It has to, right? 5 points out of 8th, slipping in the West, and a back-to-back against a team who has been one of only like three teams, I believe (Flyers and Canadiens), to totally blow us out this season and outplay us both times. Also a Pacific rival who is in front of us for the playoffs and will probably be a team we need to kick down to make it.

WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING.

EVEN IF IT'S TRADING DREWISKE FOR A FOURTH LINER. SOMETHING. PLEASE.

ANYTHING.

inb4 I wake up and see 'New Line Combos...'

Old
01-19-2011, 07:33 AM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicker View Post
It's funny how his name was one of the top three that popped into mind when I read Matt's blog.

Williams is finally healthy, he's looking good, the team sucks, and his kind of creative play doesn't fit with what TM is running. He is probably feeling offensively stifled and wants to go to a team that plays a more uptempo game. I wouldn't blame him. I just hope we are wrong.

If one of our more creative players asks to be traded because he thinks Murray's system is asinine, I mean... What else needs to be said? Does Lombardi finally get it? Does he simply fill the hole that is created with a gritty, character guy?
i hope it's not JW. he is one of the only players that has the skill set to play the 'current' NHL style. TMu's north-south dump and chase style would likely grate on someone that is able to and can play N-S and E-W.

DL needs to seriously evaluate where TMu is 'able to' take this team. it's hard to say the old school dump and chase style doesnt work and is dead. PHI still plays it for the most part and they went to the SC last season. at the same CHI which plays more of a puck possession style of play beat them in the SC.

i read a great article yesterday on THN from a former player talking about the change of style in today's league. give it a read. LA needs to read this and decide where they are going.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...game-plan.html

i agree entirely with his viewpoints when it comes to puck possession and controlling tempo. for example the start of the DAL game the other night was an example of this. DAL was working the puck around, then making that cross ice feed to stretch/extend the LA defense. LA looked completely ragged and two steps behind the action. DET, VAN, CHI, PIT all do this also.

Old
01-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I don't put much stock in these rumors, but if I had to guess for the fun of it, I would say Ponikarovsky. Doesn't have a strong connection to the team and he has been in Murray's doghouse more often than not this season. Also he is not rooted and is a rental/mercenary with likely no chance of re-signing.

LoL, then trade him for Frolov.

Old
01-19-2011, 09:07 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
See to me the two problems are *if* he can stay healthy, you guys know better than anyone how seriously rocked he was. He missed 41 games last year and looks healthy now but he has had a couple of other serious injuries.

Now if we can work something out for Krejci that would be different. I guess I am also a bit put off by the fact that a player like Savard is the one that you are willing to move along out of the wealth of talented forwards on your team.

Why not keep Savard and his exceptional deal and move along Krejci or better still Seguin? We have Schenn and a few very talented young D prospects that would look just as good or better in Boston then Tyler has so far (poking a little fun).

Savards deal and cap hit is more than $4 per next season and the season after that, in fact, his cap hit goes down to $5m three seasons from now ($7m 11/12 $6.5 12/13 and $5 for 13/14) and that is allot to pay a player if he indeed does get injured again and to me, that is sort of the main impetus for you guys to move him.

Just spit balling.
Fwiw: Seguin's been excellent. I know you were just poking fun, but it makes me think that there's this idea floating around that maybe he hasn't been very good because of his stat line and that's just not the case. He's just, on a good, deep team, so he doesn't get the ice time. Only about 12 minutes a game. And it's his play that's making a veteran expendable, so that he can get more minutes.

I understand your trepidation at picking up a player coming off a concussion. But outside that one targeted cheap shot, he's been very healthy. And I'd think that A) LA might be more comfortable than most with concussion guys since they took a chance on Stoll and B) they're doing their homework right now, extensively scouting Savard game in, game out, even your GM took in a game. If they see that he's recovered and that he can bounce right back up from a fairly typical (but still scary) head hit like he did last week, and produce points and scoring chances, then he may also be worth the risk.

Seguin is as close to untouchable as it gets for the Bruins. But they would certainly entertain moving Krejci, and take advantage of Savard's contract. Many Bruins fans would prefer it. But The B's view Krejci as a young, productive NHL player with 1b center upside. If they moved him, they'd want a young, productive NHL defenseman with #2 upside. And I think you'll agree that it's a lot harder to get a team to part with a Jack Johnson or Alex Edler, than a Simmonds/Wheeler type and cap space (to acquire a Kaberle).

Savard's cap hit is a fixed $4m for as long as he plays in the NHL. His salary, on the other hand, goes from $7m this year down to just $500k in his final two years. That's why I said, if you're a big market team (i.e. can afford to spend some $$) then it's one of the best contracts in the league because you're getting a $6m player for a $4m cap hit. After 3 years, if his game is slowing down, you can bury him in the minors for peanuts and be rid of the $4m cap hit entirely. Or he could become Doug Weight, and you could deal him to a weaker, cash-strapped team that likes to stay near the cap floor so that they could pay him $500k but be credited with a $4m cap hit.

Quote:
Originally posted by tomd
5 problems with trading for Savard:
1. He has a NTC which he is unlikely to waive to come west
2. He is not young by NHL standards at 33 1/2 and this is his 2nd straight injury plagued year.
3. His contract runs for six more years AFTER this year. Even if you send him to the minors he is cash out the door. And per Capgeek, his AHL salary would be the same as his NHL salary for the duration of his contract. Not sure where the discount after 3 years applies.
4. Schenn or Loktionov are going to be knocking on the door for the #2 center spot as early as next year. Savard's presence blocks their development.
5. Trading a 22 year old like Simmonds for all of the above problems just adds insult to injury.

Otherwise, no problem.
1. He was rumored to have waived it for Calgary last summer. And there were LA rumors at the time as well.
2. No, he's not young, but he hasn't had any new injuries this year, he's been recovering from the one dirty hit, at the end of last year and start of this year. Before that cheap-shot, he had 4 straight seasons of 74 games or more (three 82 game seasons). So it's not like he's been injury prone.

3. His NHL salary in year 4 is only $1.5m, and in years 5 & 6 it's only $500k, meaning, if you don't like his game after 3 years, you can just dump him in the minors. The 'cash out the door' would be peanuts, compared to the $4m in cap relief. And again, Savard's a proud guy, if he can't play in the NHL, he's not going to ride buses in the minors to pick up a $500k salary, he'll just retire and the whole thing goes away.

4. That's a legitimate concern. The B's believe in 3 strong centers, and that's how they build their team with Savard/Seguin, Krejci, Bergeron. And it's a pretty successful model in that Philly does it with Richards, Cater and Giroux. It's how Detroit does it with Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Filpula. It's how Pittsburgh does it... I know you also have Stoll, and that he'll be in his last year next year, and maybe you could break Schenn in on the wing, the way the B's have with Seguin and then as the year goes along, move Schenn to C and Stoll to W and then let him walk at the end of the year...

Old
01-19-2011, 09:16 AM
Orenji

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
I think it's either Willie Mitchell or Ponikarovsky, WM probably thought we'd be a contender by now; not a bottom feeder lol
Mitchell really can't complain. He's been injured throughout the season and has been below average since being back.

Ponikarovksy could have some beef. He's been healthy scratched, thrown from the 3rd line to 4th line to 1st line to 4th line to scratch to 3rd line to 1st to scratch, etc. Murray seems to not like him very much.

And he probably knows he's just a rental for a year.

Old
01-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
You can nix Hemsky rumors, according to yahoo, he is out indefinitely with a concussion.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Old
01-19-2011, 10:33 AM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicker View Post
It's funny how his name was one of the top three that popped into mind when I read Matt's blog.

Williams is finally healthy, he's looking good, the team sucks, and his kind of creative play doesn't fit with what TM is running. He is probably feeling offensively stifled and wants to go to a team that plays a more uptempo game. I wouldn't blame him. I just hope we are wrong.
That's some impressive mind-reading, there.

Williams' game, going back to the Hurricanes, has always been along the boards and in tight around the net where his quick first step and shifty reversals, his terrific hands, and his hustle give him an edge. That's why the Kings traded for him.

Old
01-19-2011, 10:35 AM
HeadInjury

The CBGB rumor is the type I can see as at least possible, since information could be coming from the player's side. But don't forget how he said Sturm was in LA and hours later Sturm was interviewed by a reporter in Canada while traveling with the Bruins.

I can't imagine it's Williams or Smyth. Those are stand up guys. It wouldn't be any of the young core. So it's probably one of the 4 guys that isn't playing all the time: Poni, Richardson, Drewiske or Harrold. In other words, it's no big deal.

Old
01-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
You can nix Hemsky rumors, according to yahoo, he is out indefinitely with a concussion.
He is such a China Doll.

If you want a good laugh go read the trade proposals board and see what some Edmonton fans thought he was worth

Old
01-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Williams doesn't make sense to me. Though he is admittedly playing for a contract primarily this season, he is being played often, and is putting up numbers. The only reason would be if he just had zero interest in re-signing with LA, depends on how established he is there.

I was hoping for Zeus or Smyth to give us more flexibility, though Smyth is still pretty good, Zeus is slipping a little more, but they just don't fit the mold of players that would ask for a trade, although Zeus has been demoted to the fourth line... Drewiske is a possibility, though I think it is risky in his situation, he has a nice deal, he could be risking playing in the minors somewhere rather than the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
He is such a China Doll.

If you want a good laugh go read the trade proposals board and see what some Edmonton fans thought he was worth
It was ridiculous what they were asking for. I get that he is a talented player, but it doesn't matter if the guy doesn't play half the games.

Old
01-19-2011, 11:38 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
He was back in?

Old
01-19-2011, 11:46 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
i hope it's not JW. he is one of the only players that has the skill set to play the 'current' NHL style. TMu's north-south dump and chase style would likely grate on someone that is able to and can play N-S and E-W.

DL needs to seriously evaluate where TMu is 'able to' take this team. it's hard to say the old school dump and chase style doesnt work and is dead. PHI still plays it for the most part and they went to the SC last season. at the same CHI which plays more of a puck possession style of play beat them in the SC.

i read a great article yesterday on THN from a former player talking about the change of style in today's league. give it a read. LA needs to read this and decide where they are going.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...game-plan.html

i agree entirely with his viewpoints when it comes to puck possession and controlling tempo. for example the start of the DAL game the other night was an example of this. DAL was working the puck around, then making that cross ice feed to stretch/extend the LA defense. LA looked completely ragged and two steps behind the action. DET, VAN, CHI, PIT all do this also.

James Mirtle is a really brilliant person and worth thumbing through the archives when you have the time. Bob Bourne ex King was easily one of the greatest people that ever played the game and a truly smart person. Justin Bourne clearly benefited from his father's advice as he is a pretty solid writer.

Old
01-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post

Does that mean you were one of the people saddened when Crow was fired? Seriously, who was upset when Crawford was let go? Everybody cheered. It's something to think about.

Old
01-19-2011, 01:53 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
Does that mean you were one of the people saddened when Crow was fired? Seriously, who was upset when Crawford was let go? Everybody cheered. It's something to think about.
Not everyone cheered.

That said MC had an issue and a change of venue was what was best for him and for us and it has shown. The question regarding MC for me will come when we see how his team does next year.

Old
01-19-2011, 06:27 PM
funky

well if we are to believe Lombardi during his NHL live interview with Deb, we might as well close this thread. No help is coming!

Old
01-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Mattias

Quote:
It was ridiculous what they were asking for. I get that he is a talented player, but it doesn't matter if the guy doesn't play half the games.
Oh I'm loving the Edmonton fan guy talking how Hemsky is durable and not a band-aid.

Or this post that just screams troll:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
We'll rent Hemsky out to the Kings for a great prospect and roster player, then Hemsky will return to Edmonton after next season.
That's just awesome. I guess fans do really marry their players.

Old
01-19-2011, 07:11 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
well if we are to believe Lombardi during his NHL live interview with Deb, we might as well close this thread. No help is coming!
Hope the young "stars" on this team received that message loud and clear.

Old
01-20-2011, 01:49 AM
damacles1156

Time to see what the Core is made of. Cause Dean doesn't sound like he is going to fire the coach either. So there goes that excuse.

Old
01-20-2011, 02:17 AM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

The Kings are going to wind up making so many changes in the offseason you have to wonder if they will make any deals. If they keep losing like this, they could become sellers looking to get value for guys who are going to be departing anyway and/or dumping salaries for picks/UFAs-to-be to gain further flexibility.

This is not the roster they are going to have going forward. With all due respect to all the guys on this team, they have some guys that are flat out overpaid, probably because the Kings were in the position all bad teams were where they had to overpay to bring in free agents like Handzus and Scuderi. Scuderi has been very solid but 'Zus is an FA to be. Williams is an FA to be. Greener has been a warrior but his salary is a little hefty, maybe the same for Stoll. Ponikarovski is both overpaid and a UFA to be. Sturm will not be there next year either.

They have Johnson with a manageable cap hit, Brown, Scuds and Kopitar are in the fold, I'd expect Doughty and Simmonds back, Clifford is on an ELC, Mitchell will play out his deal and Smyth will probably do the same. Other than that, it's all up in the air.

I know it's tempting to make a move. First it was to solidify a contender, now it would be to salvage a season. I think they could have gone in and done something bigger than Sturm--we've already seen Langenbrunner and Wolski change hands since, plus Calgary has fallen back hard--but that is already a done deal. What I see now is a strong push to get it together with essentially this same group and then big changes either beginning at the deadline or July 1.

Closed Thread