HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

MacArthur is due for a raise wherever he ends up.

Old
01-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Highbrow
Alfie, Alfie, Alfie!

vCash: 500
Get rid of him; he dislikes waffles.

He'll get $3 million for 3 years or 3.5-3.75 for two.

Highbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
MacArthur will be Jason Blake 2.0

Has one solid season, gets paid like a 50+ point player, then looks hilarious the next season.

Also, he has nowhere near the talent Kulemin has.
Uhh Blake had a few good season and his 2nd year in Toronto was good too. He just got old. MacArthur meanwhile is 25, has had 15+ goal/35 point season and his problem has always been consistency. He's worked at that and has found a great chemistry with that line. It's arguable he has played as good as anyone on that line.

I think Kulemin is more talented and can do others things such as hitting, his wrist shot is pretty good but sometimes you just don't see him use that to his full advantage. MacArthur uses his speed and he's got good vision on the ice and isn't a liability on the defensive end. He has made quite a few spectacular plays on the offensive end.

This isn't some 35 year old breaking out, it's a 25 year old. MacArthur looks like he'll get around 3 but he better be careful in negotiations. We've seen that if you ask for too much with Burke, he will let you go like he did with Moore and Poni. Neither of them have been as good as they were in Toronto.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:27 PM
NewEnglandSportsFan*

Send a message via AIM to NewEnglandSportsFan*
2.75 to 3.25 would be my guess. 2-3 years. He's played quite well so far.

NewEnglandSportsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:43 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pens83 View Post
Whatever the most prudent thing to do, burke will do the opposite.
Ironic you're saying this about the best UFA signed by any GM last summer. Macarthur at 1.1 million is an absolute steal. Fantastic signing.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:58 PM
RoyalAir
Looks Better In Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Ironic you're saying this about the best UFA signed by any GM last summer. Macarthur at 1.1 million is an absolute steal. Fantastic signing.
it has worked out very well for Toronto, but MacArthur was a bit of a risk, as two teams had given up on him the previous season. If I'm burke, I take that into consideration. I wouldn't sign him for more than 2.5 per for two years. If he's playing well because of a chip on his shoulder, well, let him keep it.

Again, I'm not a bitter fan. I am a little skeptical at throwing big money at players who haven't yet proven, consistently, that they're worth it. And yes, that goes for Byfuglien as well.

RoyalAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

MacArthur was a terrible hockey player before this year.. i wouldnt sign him for more than 1 year if they are going to give him a sizable raise

Telfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 01:00 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfo View Post
MacArthur was a terrible hockey player before this year.. i wouldnt sign him for more than 1 year if they are going to give him a sizable raise
Terrible? come on. The guy had very nice statistics given his ice-time last season. Hence the big raise in arbitration.

Old
01-19-2011, 01:31 PM
NoTouchIcing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pens83 View Post
Whatever the most prudent thing to do, burke will do the opposite.
The hilarity of this post is the contrast in the first and second clause.

NoTouchIcing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 01:33 PM
pspot

What did he want from atlanta last year?

I'd assume he'd want even more now

pspot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 01:37 PM
noBSleafsFAN

re-sign 2.5-3million for 2-4 years, if not, try to trade for good prospects

noBSleafsFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Terrible? come on. The guy had very nice statistics given his ice-time last season. Hence the big raise in arbitration.
the big raise in arbitration was because that was the number his side proposed and Dudley told them to award him that because they werent going to sign him regardless.

Telfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Shaun_W_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddy View Post
You mean first line, right?
First line this year but most leaf fans hope that we give Kessel some top time talent making that our first line and then moving Bozak down to our third line.

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 01:54 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfo View Post
the big raise in arbitration was because that was the number his side proposed and Dudley told them to award him that because they werent going to sign him regardless.
He would not have been given a raise like that if he was terrible. It was based on his performance. He had 16 goals, 36 points on the third line with no PP time.

Old
01-19-2011, 02:01 PM
gabeliscious

burke will likely give him kulemin money. $2.25-2.5 x 2 years to show it wasnt a fluke. mac having a great season but he needs to show it isnt a fluke

gabeliscious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:06 PM
javier

Its a tricky situation with MacArthur, because he is playing at such a high level, but he is RFA and if Burke wants to see if it is a fluke he can wait another year. But the idea of trading him is silly, what so you can get a 2nd round pick who if you're lucky can become as good a player as MacArthur one day, whats the point in that?

javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:34 PM
exporta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo View Post
with the numbers he's putting up, it will probably be 3.5M at a minimum. I would be ok with that however. He's been solid for us.
are you kidding me? I wouldn't give him that much based on one season.

He is in a similar position as Dom Moore was a couple of years ago. He is producing because he has been given a top six role on a weak team.

His market value heading into this season was 1.1 million.

I would offer up to 2.5 for his services on a 2-3yr deal, but nothing more. I like him, but feel that he would not be as successful on another team lacking in the top 6.

If Joey Crabb ends up finishing on a 40pt pace playing with Bozak and Kessel, do we offer him 3 million - no. He's benefiting from a situation in which he wouldn't likely get on another team.

After Dom Moore walked away from a 3yr contract he had difficulty obtaining a 1yr deal and finally got a 2 yr deal this season with Tampa Bay @ 1.8 per.

exporta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:38 PM
8BostonRocker24

He's 45th in the NHL in scoring and Leaf fans think he's going to sign for $2-2.5 million a year for 2-3 years?

Blake Wheeler signed for 2.2 million a year last year after putting up 38 points. MacArthur already has 37, he is setting himself up for a minimum contract of $3.5 million a year. Minimum people, minimum.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:26 PM
0123456789*

I dont understand how people think he will get 2.5mill or less given the fact that he was offered that in arbitration last year and since then has only made a case for a much biger award. Oh and he is arbitration eligible again and needs one more year to UFA status. Good luck to anyone thinking he will sign for anything less than 3.5mill, and I would wager he ends up going for closer to 4+mill and he will surely be going for a one year deal unless Toronto overpays even more.
Not only is he capable of demanding this type of money but he has shown that he is wiling to go to arbitration and I doubt he changes anything going in to his last year of RFA status.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:30 PM
Drij

Anything over 2m is overpayment.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:41 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv View Post
I dont understand how people think he will get 2.5mill or less given the fact that he was offered that in arbitration last year and since then has only made a case for a much biger award. Oh and he is arbitration eligible again and needs one more year to UFA status. Good luck to anyone thinking he will sign for anything less than 3.5mill, and I would wager he ends up going for closer to 4+mill and he will surely be going for a one year deal unless Toronto overpays even more.
Not only is he capable of demanding this type of money but he has shown that he is wiling to go to arbitration and I doubt he changes anything going in to his last year of RFA status.
Im sure he will take a discount. We have given him the chance that no one else would, and aside from that he has gotten pretty close with the team and the city. He wants to stay and if Burke finds his price a little too unreasonable i would not be surprised to see him settle for less than he was hoping for. I would think somewhere around 9 mil over 3 years?

The Podium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Highbrow
Alfie, Alfie, Alfie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
He's 45th in the NHL in scoring and Leaf fans think he's going to sign for $2-2.5 million a year for 2-3 years?

Blake Wheeler signed for 2.2 million a year last year after putting up 38 points. MacArthur already has 37, he is setting himself up for a minimum contract of $3.5 million a year. Minimum people, minimum.
Re-quoted for the reality check needed by many posters!

Highbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:51 PM
leafsforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
MacArthur will be Jason Blake 2.0

Has one solid season, gets paid like a 50+ point player, then looks hilarious the next season.

Also, he has nowhere near the talent Kulemin has.
umm...what? Blake's like 38? and has 5 50+ point seasons... How about look up stats before you post this?

leafsforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:57 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsforever View Post
umm...what? Blake's like 38? and has 5 50+ point seasons... How about look up stats before you post this?
The difference between the two is the leafs signed Blake when he was at or around his peak, he has started to decline since. Hes a good player, he is just past his prime, its the typical Toronto solution, sign players when there 29-30 years of age for a large sum, and they start regressing. Macs what, 25? The guy doesn't see the difference between the two.

calcal798 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:59 PM
0123456789*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Im sure he will take a discount. We have given him the chance that no one else would, and aside from that he has gotten pretty close with the team and the city. He wants to stay and if Burke finds his price a little too unreasonable i would not be surprised to see him settle for less than he was hoping for. I would think somewhere around 9 mil over 3 years?
Good luck with that. Too bad the real world doesnt work like that.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:35 PM
shortfuze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Anything over 2m is overpayment.
makes sense. wait, what?

shortfuze is offline   Reply With Quote