HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Spezza and Phillips?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-19-2011, 11:14 AM
  #51
Hockey2000nyr
Registered User
 
Hockey2000nyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 838
vCash: 500
everyone talks about how buying out drury is an option... If i remember correctly, doesnt a player who is being bought out has to first clear waivers? therefore because drury has a NO MOVEMENT CLAUSE, he cannot be placed on waivers in the first place. which in turn blocks the possibility of buying him out, unless of course he accepts the move.

RangerBoy help me out with this one....

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:19 PM
  #52
DubiDubiDoo
Registered User
 
DubiDubiDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey2000nyr View Post
everyone talks about how buying out drury is an option... If i remember correctly, doesnt a player who is being bought out has to first clear waivers? therefore because drury has a NO MOVEMENT CLAUSE, he cannot be placed on waivers in the first place. which in turn blocks the possibility of buying him out, unless of course he accepts the move.

RangerBoy help me out with this one....
Ok, I have to admit I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that a player with a No Movement Clause can be bought out. What needs to happen is Sather would need to put Drury on Waivers (Just because he has a NMC doesn't mean the GM can't attempt to put him on waivers). Drury would then reject the move to waivers (which he has the right to do), but once he rejects that move to waivers there is no reason he can't be bought out as far as I know.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:24 PM
  #53
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,619
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
AA is a second line center.
McD is a second pair dman, if not a 1st pair guy
Gilroy has just started to flourish...I guess it is the perfect time to give up on him..
A first round pick...really?
Have you seen what Clark has done with his second round picks.

For Spezza who is moody, streaky, injure prone and makes 7 million a year for the next 3 years...

Phillips is 33 years and a free agent.

Now, lets look at the trade again and tell me why this is a good trade.
AA is barely producing like a 3rd line center let alone a 2nd line center. He's still developing I get that, but he's not a 2nd line center just yet

McD MAY become a 2nd pair defenceman, he's currently a 3rd pair guy and still make his fair share of gaffs.

Gilroy will not be with the Rangers next year

Again I indicated that the 1st was a tough loss.

Like I said twice in my post, I would not do that deal, nor do I endorse it, but to insinuate that this deal would set this franchise back 5 years is not true...not true at all.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:28 PM
  #54
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,619
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey2000nyr View Post
everyone talks about how buying out drury is an option... If i remember correctly, doesnt a player who is being bought out has to first clear waivers? therefore because drury has a NO MOVEMENT CLAUSE, he cannot be placed on waivers in the first place. which in turn blocks the possibility of buying him out, unless of course he accepts the move.

RangerBoy help me out with this one....
He can be waived, just not sent to the minors.

The Rangers can waive him, then buy him out while not moving him thus preserving the NMC

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:30 PM
  #55
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,619
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Ok, I have to admit I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that a player with a No Movement Clause can be bought out. What needs to happen is Sather would need to put Drury on Waivers (Just because he has a NMC doesn't mean the GM can't attempt to put him on waivers). Drury would then reject the move to waivers (which he has the right to do), but once he rejects that move to waivers there is no reason he can't be bought out as far as I know.
He can't reject waivers.

He can reject being sent to the minors, but that doesn't need to happen to buy him out.

All they have to do is waive him first and I'm not totally sure that they even have to waive him.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:45 PM
  #56
Orr Nightmare
Registered User
 
Orr Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
AA is barely producing like a 3rd line center let alone a 2nd line center. He's still developing I get that, but he's not a 2nd line center just yet

McD MAY become a 2nd pair defenceman, he's currently a 3rd pair guy and still make his fair share of gaffs.

Gilroy will not be with the Rangers next year

Again I indicated that the 1st was a tough loss.

Like I said twice in my post, I would not do that deal, nor do I endorse it, but to insinuate that this deal would set this franchise back 5 years is not true...not true at all.
Ok..so, now you have Spezza making 7 million next year, along with Drury making 7 and Gabby makeing 7.5...that is almost 22 million for 3 players...

Phillips will be gone and we will watch AA, McD and the 1st and 2nd for the next 10 years producing and we will have Spezza...is this 2002 or am I missing something.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:46 PM
  #57
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
But who do we sell? Avery is untradeable due to his reputation and the fact that any team would have to take his full cap hit (almost 4 mil). Drury is nearly untradeable with his NMC and 7.05 mil cap hit for 1 more year. Prospal and Frolov are both hurt, and neither is on the books for next year anyway.

Boogaard's hurt and no one would want that contract if he were healthy. I can't see us trading Wolski after just acquiring him.

There is no one to trade away, unless Prospal comes back from injury, but even then we'd probably keep him. It's not Sather's MO to sell unless we are clearly out of it, and it doesn't look like that will be the case.
Good question. Eminger, Feds (for a high pick), Weise if anyone sees value with a pick coming back and of course Drury if possible.

Next year I expect Kreider, Hagelin, Werek, Horak, Thomas, and Bourque in the big camp competing for spots. If management believes two or more of these kids can produce on the big club next year that makes other guys tradeable (which perish the thought could mean selling Brian Boyle when his value is highest). Although improved (obviously), Boyle has been fortunate to put up the goals he has and he has zero playmaking ability which makes him a 4th line center. We may be able to do better with the guys coming specifically Werek who has top six talent but may take time to get there and wins faceoffs. His health is an issue however. I would keep Avery, he has unique talents which are being underutilized right now.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:50 PM
  #58
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
AA is barely producing like a 3rd line center let alone a 2nd line center. He's still developing I get that, but he's not a 2nd line center just yet

McD MAY become a 2nd pair defenceman, he's currently a 3rd pair guy and still make his fair share of gaffs.

Gilroy will not be with the Rangers next year

Again I indicated that the 1st was a tough loss.

Like I said twice in my post, I would not do that deal, nor do I endorse it, but to insinuate that this deal would set this franchise back 5 years is not true...not true at all.
I believe you are way too bearish on both AA and McD and whether Gilroy gets resigned is largely dependent on if he can QB the PP and the development of MDZ, VTank and Kundratek. I agree that Gilroy is not Torts' kind of player but McD who has 1st pairing potential, certainly is and would be a big loss.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 01:29 PM
  #59
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
How about Daniel Alfredsson. Yes he's old, but his contract runs thru 2013. Not only does he add experience and stability to a very young team he also has the talent to play and put up 50+ points. He would come cheaper and provide a bridge for guys like Anisimov and Stepan to really establish themselves in the next couple of years.

Aasen-Alfredsson-Gaborik

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 01:31 PM
  #60
FutureGM97
Registered User
 
FutureGM97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,833
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Spezza is out six weeks with a shoulder injury...passs

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:21 PM
  #61
free0717
Registered User
 
free0717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
No way Jose.

Kill me now!! Will you?

free0717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:31 PM
  #62
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...
 
Mint Berry Crunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: Pakistan
Posts: 1,962
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
How about Daniel Alfredsson. Yes he's old, but his contract runs thru 2013. Not only does he add experience and stability to a very young team he also has the talent to play and put up 50+ points. He would come cheaper and provide a bridge for guys like Anisimov and Stepan to really establish themselves in the next couple of years.

Aasen-Alfredsson-Gaborik
Alfy doesn't really play center and we're good on the right side, I'd probably pass on that premise alone. Dude should absolutely retire a Senator.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:31 PM
  #63
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
In a pipe dream, where the cap doesn't exist sather has blackmail on every GM....wait that last part is real...anyway, yeah with no cap then it's consdierable...otherwise its impossible, unless they care to take frolov on the plane too?
You mean Drury?

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:34 PM
  #64
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
How about Daniel Alfredsson. Yes he's old, but his contract runs thru 2013. Not only does he add experience and stability to a very young team he also has the talent to play and put up 50+ points. He would come cheaper and provide a bridge for guys like Anisimov and Stepan to really establish themselves in the next couple of years.

Aasen-Alfredsson-Gaborik
Now Alf's a guy i'd want. I dont think Spezza would fit the Rangers system as well as Alfredsson plus we shouldint have to give up much. Maybe just a couple prospects like Grachev and Mcdonough Or Boyle seeing how his value is at an all time high. I would love to include Gilroy in any deal as i really dont like him.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:43 PM
  #65
Callahan Auto
Rational Police
 
Callahan Auto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
If you drop the first, then I'd consider it. Staal, Girardi, Phillips, Sauer, Eminger, MDZ is a pretty sweet D this year. After Phillips is gone, Valentenko, Kundratek, or McIlrath could fill in what would still be a pretty talented young D. Spezza is better than Anisimov will likely ever be and he's still only 27. Spezza-Stepan-Boyle is pretty solid up the middle and young enough to be a threat in the playoffs for a good 6+ years. We have an abundance of young talent and we could potentially make a deal like this and not be hit too hard.

In the end, I wouldn't do it just for the fact that you could add Richards for free this summer without giving up the other assets.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:52 PM
  #66
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,956
vCash: 500
i like spezza

i dont like spezzas contract

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 05:44 PM
  #67
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26
 
Lion Hound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,713
vCash: 500
Don't like the idea of Spezza via sending big assets to Ott for him. There was a time when I was a huge fan of his. But I think over time it was that I was a huge fan of he and Heatley together. Once seperated, I think Spezza was exposed.

His offense can be dynamic at times, I think his two-way game is in question. Ultimately though, I question his heart. Sending even Anisimov plus a first for him to me is foolish.

If he can be had for the first, and then dumping salary like Dru then I can swallow it. But Ott would never do that. I guess I am saying if Sather fleeced Murray I wouldn;t be dissapointed.

Richards IMO is a much better option. If not...stay the course and let the position find itself.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 05:58 PM
  #68
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Richards > Spezza

Signing Richards > Trading for Spezza

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 06:56 PM
  #69
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,205
vCash: 500
So youd rather have a 31 year old richards as opposed to a 28 year old spezza? Hmmm....Spezza has been more consistent than richards in his career. I know he is injury prone but I'd still rather spezza than to give richards a nice 5-7 year/$7-8 million fresh contract.


And having said that, I'd rather have neither.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 06:59 PM
  #70
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
So youd rather have a 31 year old richards as opposed to a 28 year old spezza? Hmmm....Spezza has been more consistent than richards in his career. I know he is injury prone but I'd still rather spezza than to give richards a nice 5-7 year/$7-8 million fresh contract.


And having said that, I'd rather have neither.
Richards is an First line Center A

Spezza is a first line center B

Thats the best way i can describe it. There is absolutely no question as to how much better Richards is than Spezza. Plus Richards is a certain torts kinda guy who has already won a cup in his style. Although I'm not sure i agree, Spezza's work ethic has been called into question multiple times. Something that always scares me...plus he is injury prone.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 10:04 PM
  #71
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Richards is an First line Center A

Spezza is a first line center B

Thats the best way i can describe it. There is absolutely no question as to how much better Richards is than Spezza. Plus Richards is a certain torts kinda guy who has already won a cup in his style. Although I'm not sure i agree, Spezza's work ethic has been called into question multiple times. Something that always scares me...plus he is injury prone.
How are you making that distinction? Because spezza just happens to be the one playing poorly right now? Both players have recorded 90 points twice. Spezza has had an 80+ point season meanwhile richards has not. When richards was 27 years old he has recorded just 62 points. He was playing so inconsistently that he was traded that year to dallas by TB. Yes TB needed to make moves anyway due to the cap but it came down to him or Vinny L. Richards was the one playing subpar. He was dealt. How is he the Center A and Spezza B? Brad has had his off years just like spezza. Both have sustained injuries in the past few years so that argument cant really be made. I just dont see how you came up with such an analysis.

But honestly, it really does not matter to me who is better because I do not want either. Stay away from both. Stay away from the salaries. Stay away from the risk of facing their inconsistencies. Dont hand out that contract to Brad Richards paying him $6.5-8.5 million for 5-7 years like i said before because you will regret it worse than the drury one when you are paying him that money at age 36-38. And stay away from spezza because has been awful.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 01:22 PM
  #72
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin
 
Darrelle Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,782
vCash: 500
no no no and no

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 02:16 PM
  #73
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook
 
Swept In Seven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9,633
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
How are you making that distinction? Because spezza just happens to be the one playing poorly right now? Both players have recorded 90 points twice. Spezza has had an 80+ point season meanwhile richards has not. When richards was 27 years old he has recorded just 62 points. He was playing so inconsistently that he was traded that year to dallas by TB. Yes TB needed to make moves anyway due to the cap but it came down to him or Vinny L. Richards was the one playing subpar. He was dealt. How is he the Center A and Spezza B? Brad has had his off years just like spezza. Both have sustained injuries in the past few years so that argument cant really be made. I just dont see how you came up with such an analysis.

But honestly, it really does not matter to me who is better because I do not want either. Stay away from both. Stay away from the salaries. Stay away from the risk of facing their inconsistencies. Dont hand out that contract to Brad Richards paying him $6.5-8.5 million for 5-7 years like i said before because you will regret it worse than the drury one when you are paying him that money at age 36-38. And stay away from spezza because has been awful.
I agree but I will never regret a contract more then Drury's

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.