HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Matt Stajan

Old
01-19-2011, 10:24 AM
JonusHoglund

vCash: 500
Stajan isn't terrible....he's just terrible when he's your 1st line Center.

JonusHoglund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 10:25 AM
pens83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrageous Leafs Fan View Post
Toronto offers you Tim Brent + Mike Komisarek, we could use a 3rd line centre.
Toronto could use a lot of things. I am confident that bringing back this scrub won't help

pens83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

If Calgary were to trade Regehr and Sarich in a rebuild rebuild, I wouldn't be totally against the idea of flipping Stajan for Komisarek.

Stajan is not a bad player, I think personally he is about 750k overpaid. I think for a player like him, he should be making 2.75 per season. At that price tag, I would have no complaints about the guy. And really, 750k is not alot to be overpaid by. I just think Calgary could use the money they are spending on Stajan instead for a quality winger. I would rather promote Backlund and give him minutes and a real oppertunity to develop.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 11:16 AM
blankall

Stajan's contract is not the anchor people are making him out to be.

His contract is front loaded for the first two years, and he would be the perfect acquisition for a team looking to make the cap floor. This means that he probably won't get traded until next summer when his salary drops to 2.5 million though.

At 2.5 million Stajan becomes pretty solid value even if his play does not improve.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Stajan's contract is not the anchor people are making him out to be.

His contract is front loaded for the first two years, and he would be the perfect acquisition for a team looking to make the cap floor. This means that he probably won't get traded until next summer when his salary drops to 2.5 million though.

At 2.5 million Stajan becomes pretty solid value even if his play does not improve.
Salary is irrelevant, his cap hit is 3.5 next year too

Nachoman AlfieSavage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Lets get one thing straight, I am not Stajan's biggest supporter. If I was, I would not be suggesting to look at moving him. I don't think he is worth his contract dollar for dollar, and I think the Flames would be better off to have Stajan's money spent on getting another quality winger. However, he is not nearly as bad as you are making him out to be.
You are correct. He is not as horrendous as he is being made out to be. Hell Drury is on pace for less and is paid for than double. Come to think of it, he is on Gomez's pace. Which is embarrassing... for Gomez.

Anyway, the problem is no team is going to offer anything of value for an overpaid player on an awful season. Stajan is in the same boat as Gomez, Komisarek and etc. He is just not worth enough for Calgary to not try him again next season and hope for a better production. If you did find a taker, I guarantee you would be better off keeping him for the aforementioned reason.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:35 PM
SaintMorose

vCash: 200
Nice add-in for a trade to a team with poor Centre depth; on his own not going to get much.

The Flames can still use him no need to trade him for less than he is worth.

SaintMorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Any contract with bad salary beyond the current CBA (summer 2012) is more or less unmovable, unless bad salary goes the other way.

Nothing about the transactions going on in the last year indicates that there is a market for Stajan.

Stajan for Komisarek, as cringeworthy as it must sound for a Flames fan is probably as good as it gets.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtonsApple View Post
Salary is irrelevant, his cap hit is 3.5 next year too
Not for cash-strapped teams. Acquiring those types of contracts allows them to reach the cap floor without actually paying out their cap number in real dollars.

The Islanders will likely be all over that.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:24 PM
The Gnome

As a flames fan I would take a bag of pucks to see stajan off this team.

I'm not saying he's a horrible player, and his point totals are fine. The problem is that he's average/good at every aspect of the game. Nothing of his skillset makes him a valuable contributer to the flames, and in a playoff series I'm sure he'd be invisible. Flames mangement wants him to be a key to their club's success and he will never be that guy. That's just the type of player he is, and I'm sure he won't be traded anytime soon. Flames are stuck with him.

Calgary is a very mediocre team, and it's contracts like Stajan's that put them in that position. Mediocre signings yield mediocre results.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Live Breathe Hockey

Quote:
The Flames and Feaster are going through an evaluation process of the entire team. Anyone in Calgary could be moved.

I am wondering what a team would be willing (if anything) to give up for Matt Stajan. Over the last 3 seasons he has consistently put up between 40-56 points (mind you alot of those have been top line minutes). He is fairly good defensively and a good FO guy. He has a cap hit 3.5 million and signed until 2013/14 season. I am just curious what other teams would be willing to trade for Stajan, or what they would want if he was packaged with something.

Thoughts?
haven't gone through to read any posts other than the OP's, so pardon me if this has already been said.

to CGY
Wade Redden

to NYR
Stajan

deal gets done in the off season when Redden doesn't have to go thru re-entry

Live Breathe Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Remember2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
As a flames fan I would take a bag of pucks to see stajan off this team.

I'm not saying he's a horrible player, and his point totals are fine. The problem is that he's average/good at every aspect of the game. Nothing of his skillset makes him a valuable contributer to the flames, and in a playoff series I'm sure he'd be invisible. Flames mangement wants him to be a key to their club's success and he will never be that guy. That's just the type of player he is, and I'm sure he won't be traded anytime soon. Flames are stuck with him.

Calgary is a very mediocre team, and it's contracts like Stajan's that put them in that position. Mediocre signings yield mediocre results.

Very Well said! Stajan is over paid about 1m I wouldnt mind paying him 2.5 and for 2 years but hopefully he can bounce back.

Remember2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrageous Leafs Fan View Post
Toronto offers you Tim Brent + Mike Komisarek, we could use a 3rd line centre.
Except he would or should be your 2nd line center, dispite missing all of training camp and 6 games to injury he's still better than Bozak.

Iggy-4-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:52 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The Flames and Feaster are going through an evaluation process of the entire team. Anyone in Calgary could be moved.

I am wondering what a team would be willing (if anything) to give up for Matt Stajan. Over the last 3 seasons he has consistently put up between 40-56 points (mind you alot of those have been top line minutes). He is fairly good defensively and a good FO guy. He has a cap hit 3.5 million and signed until 2013/14 season. I am just curious what other teams would be willing to trade for Stajan, or what they would want if he was packaged with something.

Thoughts?
Trade him even up for Phaneuf.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:53 PM
SpezDispenser

Albatross.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Breathe Hockey View Post
haven't gone through to read any posts other than the OP's, so pardon me if this has already been said.

to CGY
Wade Redden

to NYR
Stajan

**** that ****... throw in the Rangers 1st rounder and maybe

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Live Breathe Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
**** that ****... throw in the Rangers 1st rounder and maybe
your Name, your Avatar, an your Team all fit together just perfectly, and so does your comment...

Old
01-19-2011, 03:09 PM
ComixZone

Quote:

to CGY
Wade Redden

to NYR
Stajan

this is insanity. No way in HELL do the Flames do this. Stajan MIGHT be 500k overpaid. Wade Redden is 6 million overpaid.

Stajan is a useful NHLer.

Redden is not.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:12 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
Not for cash-strapped teams. Acquiring those types of contracts allows them to reach the cap floor without actually paying out their cap number in real dollars.

The Islanders will likely be all over that.
There are a few teams near the cap floor who could use this. Keep in mind the cap floor will increase every year, while the revenues of certain teams may not.

In addition to teams at the cap floor, there are also teams with internal budgets. These teams don't care about cap hit either. The 1 million difference between cap hit and actual pay, doesn't help these teams, but Stajan's relatively large cap hit doesn't hurt them either. This could make Stajan especially attractive in the offseason where players of similar production, like Lombardi or Arnott seem to be demanding considerably more than 2.5 million.

Long story short, in the 2012 offseason, it will be relatively easy to move Stajan.

Old
01-19-2011, 03:16 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
your Name, your Avatar, an your Team all fit together just perfectly, and so does your comment...
your user name must be an oxymoron... because anyone that breathes hockey would understand that no one will touch Redden's contract... Stajan might be overpaid by as much as $1 million... but Redden is overpaid by the amount Stajan is paid... unless the Ranger give up a 1st round pick, no one would touch that contract

Stajan @ 3.5 is infinitely better than Redden @ 6.5

Old
01-19-2011, 03:32 PM
blankall

Quote:
your user name must be an oxymoron... because anyone that breathes hockey would understand that no one will touch Redden's contract... Stajan might be overpaid by as much as $1 million... but Redden is overpaid by the amount Stajan is paid... unless the Ranger give up a 1st round pick, no one would touch that contract

Is a 1st round pick really worth 3 more years (in addition to this one) of Redden's contract. In addition to that, Redden is already 33...he's only going to get worse.

The person who suggested the Redden trade is clearly a troll. Stajan and Redden contract are nowhere near comparable. Unless something dramatic happens, Redden's contract may be the worst contract ever in the NHL.....outside of the NYI organization that is.

Old
01-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Speaking of Redden, he's another player Sutter almost signed. Sather beat him to the punch by throwing a truck load of money at him, thank god Darryl is gone! Sutter probably offered him 5.5 mill at the time.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:51 PM
foshizzle11

what about to like new jersey for say Zajac. NJ can have Stajan and Glencross, plus our 2nd in 2012.

foshizzle11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:21 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Is a 1st round pick really worth 3 more years (in addition to this one) of Redden's contract. In addition to that, Redden is already 33...he's only going to get worse.

The person who suggested the Redden trade is clearly a troll. Stajan and Redden contract are nowhere near comparable. Unless something dramatic happens, Redden's contract may be the worst contract ever in the NHL.....outside of the NYI organization that is.
I never said it was fair... but I sure wouldn't touch Redden's contract if they gave us a 2nd and Redden for Stajan... if they gave us a 1st I would think about it... even then i'm not sure i would touch that monstrosity of a contract

Old
01-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Live Breathe Hockey

Quote:

and Conroy at $500k is infintely better than Stajan at $3.5m... so whats your point? you want to dump a bad contract, expect a bad one back

Redden was a sarcastic answer to what should be a sarcastic question.

How about Stajan for _________ insert any bad contract that any of the other 29 NHL teams are trying to dump... does that help answer your question better?