HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik for Brown?

View Poll Results: Gaborik for Brown?
Yes to Gaborik for Brown 16 13.01%
Yes to Gaborik for Brown + 32 26.02%
No thanks. This thread is terrible! 75 60.98%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-19-2011, 02:54 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
Isn't Brown from Upstate?

It's hard to part with a super sniper like Gaborik, but man is Brown an absolute beast.

The problem is that if Gaborik was playing like he did last year, would be wrong to think we'd have at least 30 wins by now? Maybe challenging for the No. 1 seed?

I'll give Gabby one more season after this one. If he continues to struggle, the team may have to move on.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:55 PM
NYRJE

I'd trade Gaborik for Brown and Schenn in second just because it's a killer deal for us. That said, I'm not willing to give up on Gaborik just because he's been inconsistent this season. All players suffer through slumps at some point; it's part of the game.

NYRJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:55 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
I voted yes to Gaborik for Brown + Kopitar/Doughty/Johnson

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:57 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrurysWeekend View Post
That's fine, yes. If he scores a big goal, even if it is a crappy opponent, then that's great. If it's a nothing goal in a blowout though, I don't care how hard he worked. Especially if he doesn't show up for 10 more games.

However, again, a hat-trick once a month is not cutting it. I don't care if every goal was end to end 1 vs 5 and done with one hand. Goals in blowout games does nothing but pad his stats. He needs more goals when the Rangers are trailing by one in the third or it's tied, or in overtime. I'll be satisfied if he scores in 2 or 3 games consecutively, even if they are nothing goals in a blowout.

I love Gaborik, I'm not advocating trading him, and I know he is slumping, but I can't justify defending him all the time either.
Sorry but at this point any goal is a good goal for Gaborik. Just to get him going a bit.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Sorry but at this point any goal is a good goal for Gaborik. Just to get him going a bit.
IF, it gets him going. So far his goals he scored have not seemed to. I hope that changes with the next one though, he looks like one is coming sooner rather than later.

NYRJE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Up View Post
I voted yes to Gaborik for Brown + Kopitar/Doughty/Johnson
Add LA's next two first-round picks and you've got yourself a deal.

NYRJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
That's fine, yes. If he scores a big goal, even if it is a crappy opponent, then that's great. If it's a nothing goal in a blowout though, I don't care how hard he worked. Especially if he doesn't show up for 10 more games.

However, again, a hat-trick once a month is not cutting it. I don't care if every goal was end to end 1 vs 5 and done with one hand. Goals in blowout games does nothing but pad his stats. He needs more goals when the Rangers are trailing by one in the third or it's tied, or in overtime. I'll be satisfied if he scores in 2 or 3 games consecutively, even if they are nothing goals in a blowout.

I love Gaborik, I'm not advocating trading him, and I know he is slumping, but I can't justify defending him all the time either.
Well, Gaborik had the GWG when he got a hat trick against the Isles, and he got the 1st and 2nd goals against the Oilers. So it's not like they weren't important goals.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I voted for the Brown plus, but it better be a pretty good plus. Becuase Gaborik even in the 2nd year slump is still elite. He is more of a threat than Brown,and the reality of it s the Rangers alread yhave thier version of Brown in Ryan Callahan. They are nearly the same exact player.

But...on the flip side, the Rangers don't truly need another grinding winger like Brown. Where these guys never hurt you, the lack of goal scoring the club already has would probably be more of a factor if Gabby was moved for Brown.

I voted Brown plus, becuase I feel that Gaborik is indeed tradeable. But...I think this deal would be better if it was Gaborik for Johnson plus. Not Brown. I like the idea of Johnson on the Blueline...alot!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:02 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Thats ridiculous. Ask this question last season and many would scream "NO"

As much as I love Dustin Brown. As much of a complete 2 way game he has and is my type of player...I would definitely say no to that trade. This team needs goal scoring and trading Gaborik for Brown doesn't improve the goal scoring on the team. If anything it's a decline.
In the post you quoted I made no mention of Gaborik or Brown, I was simply making a point about the crazy mindset this board has at times that any player traded has been "given up" on.

That said I would have traded Gaborik for Brown straight up at any point the last two seasons. Gaborik is a super talent but I have zero faith he will remain healthy.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Well, Gaborik had the GWG when he got a hat trick against the Isles, and he got the 1st and 2nd goals against the Oilers. So it's not like they weren't important goals.
I'll give you the 1st and 2nd in the Oilers game, because that's good for momentum getting the scoring started, but what good is a GWG if 3, 4, or 5 more are scored after it? You'd have to be willing to argue that all the goals scored after his GWG only came because he scored the GWG and if he hadn't, they might not have scored again. Which is quite the stretch if you ask me.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:08 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Some will say: "Hooray he's back!"

Others will say: "Oh look he scored another hat trick against a crappy team in a blow out. Whoopee."
This is EXACTLY what is wrong with him. He SUPPOSED to be a "game breaker", "impact player", "sniper" and "elite player". Not this season, man. Sure, he was last year but he has been far, far from that this season. There IS something wrong with him. He's playing with an injury, PERIOD. There's no way a player that has been elite for the last 5-10 seasons, all of a sudden isn't. A gradual drop off? Yeah, that happens all the time but you don't just disappear like he has. What happened the last time he was in a huge slump? It came out later on that he has bad hips and apparently the Rangers fixed them in the offseason (before last season) and then he had an astounding season. There is something wrong with him. I don't buy that "he's just in a slump". Bunch of bologna, that is...and I agree with the hat trick comment. Vladomir Vorobiev got a hat trick in his first NHL game and he was a career AHLer. I wouldn't put any stock in it. These guys are pros. They are all capable of taking over a game against a poorly constructed or slumping team. They are all THAT GOOD. It's just that some have just a little bit more. I don't buy anyone being THAT much better unless their nickname is TGO. Consistency and points in big situations (i.e.; would have been nice against the flyers and habs) would mean way, way more than multiple goals every ten or twelve games, even for elite players. If he gets a hat trick tonight it won't mean dink. He starts coming up big down 1 goal against top tier teams consistently or takes over those games and wins them, then I stand corrected. Until then he isn't elite anymore. Just like Dru and Gomer. Too expensive for no production. Trade him before he starts bogging the team down with his salary. Or, fix whatever the heck it is that is wrong with him. Hip, shoulder, groin. FIX IT and REST IT. Then bring him back to be the game breaker we know he is.

Did someone say paging Dr. Gabby?

Last edited by Skrimpy: 01-19-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Skrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Would anyone trade Gaborik for Dustin Brown? Brown+? Brown + a 2nd (since Sather does so well with those). One advantage of having Brown is that he's younger, his cap hit is less than half of Gaborik's ($3.175M), his production is more than 1/2 of Gaborik's. The disadvantage is Gaborik is Gaborik. This isn't really a reaction to his slump, more against him seeming to not fit in.
The Kings are young and believe they can win within the next year or two and would covet a player like Gabby. Problem is Brown is a big part of the equation and isn't going anywhere. You may be able to move Gabby for Schenn + which I would consider if the + is good enough.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:11 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
I'll give you the 1st and 2nd in the Oilers game, because that's good for momentum getting the scoring started, but what good is a GWG if 3, 4, or 5 more are scored after it? You'd have to be willing to argue that all the goals scored after his GWG only came because he scored the GWG and if he hadn't, they might not have scored again. Which is quite the stretch if you ask me.
The game he got the Ht against the Isles was a 6-5 game. It broke a 5-5 tie IIRC.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
The game he got the Ht against the Isles was a 6-5 game. It broke a 5-5 tie IIRC.
Well say that! I'm not a stat machine, and that's also not a blowout game!

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I would do it because Dustin is younger and healthier. You can rely on him for a much longer period of time.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
No it wasn't a blowout but it was against a crappy team that was slumping. The only reason it was close was because it was Isles/Rangers. Both teams get up for those games like it's the SCFs.

Old
01-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I'll keep my elite goal scorer who is having a down year over a guy who averages 55 points a season. Don't care about the salary.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
I'll keep my elite goal scorer who is having a down year over a guy who averages 55 points a season.
Well if the elite goal scorer continues to play injured he's never going to be the elite goal scorer again. If he starts becoming clutch in games against the leagues better teams, I will be the most happy person in the world to eat my words. Sit him. Fix him. DO SOMETHING to get him back to the player everyone thinks and knows he is. If you don't, his play isn't worth the paper his paycheck is printed on. Come on man, the guy makes 7.5 million. He is sitting steady at 151st in the league in scoring but getting paid as if he is in the top 20? He isn't even close to elite right now and other teams know it. Bad teams don't even double team him anymore. He isn't even on pace for Dustin Browns 55 points a season and getting paid more than twice as much. Anyone with half a brain can tell the guy is injured. They need to trade him or sit him. He is hurting the team.

Old
01-19-2011, 04:06 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I haven't given up on Gaborik but I do think we've got some interesting points of view. I'm glad it wasn't a landslide in any one direction.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:09 PM
JimmyStart*

No it has to be either Redden or Drury also given up by us.. no sense giving up gabs for cap relief if we aren't going all the way trying to get cap relief haha

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:10 PM
beastly115

There should have been a "Ban me" option.

****ing stupid idea.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:23 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
There should have been a "Ban me" option.

****ing stupid idea.
you think forums are stupid? I'm not gonna go there but your post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I'm going to say this once and only once:

It's getting too chippy around here. Argue your points in a respectful manner. There's no need to attack other posters or attempt to belittle one another. If you can't agree to disagree, then move on. The bickering has to stop.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:37 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

brown + schenn for Gaborik

DONE.

i LOVE dustin brown..hes one of my favorite non Rangers in the league. Hes basically another Brandon Dubinsky. And hes still so damn young. He plays New York Rangers style hockey and would seamlessly fit into this roster. he and Dubi together would be a nightmare to contain. but, Gabby is still the best player in the deal, if im trading Gabby, im taking Schenn too.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:41 PM
John Torturella

Brown would fit this teams mold. Gaborik not so much. But I think he will turn it around in the second half. maybe in the offseason.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 05:16 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi17 View Post
seriously we're ready to give up on gaborik already guys?

nobody was saying he didnt fit in last year when he was carrying the team. I'm willing to give him more time before i say hes an outcast on this team.
Sorry, but trading for Dustin Brown isnt giving up on Gaborik. Brown is 26 yrs old, a damn good player, and had never played less than 78 games in a season

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote