HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Arnott to WSH

Old
01-18-2011, 03:37 PM
bonzaibondra12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzey Devil View Post
Lol

Is it that bad? Is Carlson an untouchable or something?
Yea a 21 yr old, playing top mins, shutting down Crosby/Stamkos is totally on his way out.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I don't know that it gets all that tricky, so much as it makes it likely that when ten teams come calling for one of the few big, experienced, Cup-winning rental centers on the market, one of these clubs that does have a 2nd rounder in 2011 wins out... unless the Caps want him badly enough to raise the price. Demand this year could push his value beyond that seemingly-apt 2nd rounder range.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
Yea a 21 yr old, playing top mins, shutting down Crosby/Stamkos is totally on his way out.
He was only 20 when he shut down Crosby/Stamkos. The skies' the limit for him now that he's drinking age.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I don't know that it gets all that tricky, so much as it makes it likely that when ten teams come calling for one of the few big, experienced, Cup-winning rental centers on the market, one of these clubs that does have a 2nd rounder in 2011 wins out... unless the Caps want him badly enough to raise the price. Demand this year could push his value beyond that seemingly-apt 2nd rounder range.

this is what im hoping!

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 04:00 PM
ChrisG

I don't think you can base Arnott's value solely on stats. NO ONE has been playing well this year for the devils or are putting up numbers. That doesn't mean they're bad players, they were just playing in a crappy system for a crappy coach. Any of our better players playing on a good team would put up numbers.

Is Arnott old? Yes.....can he still play hockey and be productive given the right situation?.....also yes.

I don't think it would be crazy to think he would be worth a 2nd + mid prospect

ChrisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 04:04 PM
txpd

fans of other teams that know the caps name brand players can see the Caps have two young d on the team, but i expect very few of them realize that both Alzner and Carlson top pair to top 4 on a very improved caps defense. they think they could be trade chips.

alzner is a no name player who will be that way for a long time. subban is the media magnet rookie d. carlson seems to barely get noticed while he is a significantly more polished player.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyderFan1 View Post
In what world is a 36 year old UFA, on pace for about 35 points, worth a top defensive prospect?

He was worth a 2nd in the offseason, coming off a 46 point (in 63 games) season... I'm not sure you can convince me how his value has risen so high.
You forgot the prospect. Plus, at the trade deadline, yea, value does go up. A 2nd is fair return and it can be a 2012 2nd.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 04:19 PM
NJD1982

If there is enough interest then I think he gets a 1st. I'd be very pleased with that return.

Anything to make up for the high 2nd we gave up for him.

NJD1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 04:21 PM
EliasR8
Brendan Shanahan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
The obvious compensation for Arnott is a 2nd rounder. But since the Caps don't have one, it gets a little tricky. I suppose the Caps could work to acquire one. Or the Devils could accept the 2012 2nd rounder. Otherwise, you're talking a 3rd rounder + a 2nd tier prospect.

3rd rounder + Francois Bouchard or something like that.
Damn just give the Devils Orlov and I'll be happy. But that would never happen.

EliasR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 04:48 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I suspect Perreault would be available for Arnott. I suspect Orlov would not be available for him. I'm very confident that the Caps won't trade Alzner or Carlson, period. The Caps have no 2011 second rounder.
This is the most logical post in the thread. Between Backstrom establishing himself as a top-tier center and the development of Johansson happening as rapidly as he is, it makes sense that Perreault would be the odd man out. Especially with Arnott coming back the other way, there's no room for Perreault as a top 9 center.

I'd love to see someone with the raw skill of Perreault getting taught the intricacies of the game by Jacques Lemaire. Adding another young skilled center to Zajac/Josefson/Henrique gives you a great group of skilled 25 or younger centers to build your forward corps around.

Devils fans want Alzner and Carlson because they are textbook examples of the types of players wee need on defense, but Washington would be stupid to give them away for anything but overpayment. Orlov has a very high ceiling as well, trading him for rental would come back to haunt them if they didn't win the Cup.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 04:51 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
Mathieu Perault
done done and done

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD1982 View Post
If there is enough interest then I think he gets a 1st. I'd be very pleased with that return.

I've seen mentioned that this draft is not particularly deep so it makes sense to get the highest pick for him as possible. The question is, how deep is the projected 2012 draft? If it's a deeper draft then that years 2nd might be a better asset.

Fallschirmyager is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 06:52 PM
kiwidevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD1982 View Post

The trade was not bad at all. It's not Arnott's fault our team has sucked. He's been one of the few bright spots.

kiwidevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 08:39 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
You'll take a reality check.
I'll trade you a sense of humour for one.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 11:59 AM
dougiebrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Devils fans want Alzner and Carlson because they are textbook examples of the types of players wee need on defense, but Washington would be stupid to give them away for anything but overpayment.
Devils fans also want Carlson for he's a Jersey boy and the Devils are/were his favorite team.

dougiebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:14 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post
Arnott may not be a leader. But he's good in big games. See game 6 of the 2000 SCF.
That was 10 years ago....just sayin....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:15 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Trading MP85 for Arnott almost makes sense, but as someone else said, I'm not sure he's the type of player that Lou wants.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:32 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
That was 10 years ago....just sayin....
and a one game sample.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:35 PM
txpd

right now the caps are not a cup contender anyway. the players they need to acquire to become one are already on the roster.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

vCash: 50
Arnott at deadline should cost a 2nd. I don't see Perrault being a good fit for the Devils but at the same time it is hard to see him being a Caps player in the long run.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:33 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post

can he still play hockey and be productive given the right situation?.....also yes.

Stars- 21 playoff games, 4 goals, 6 assists
Predators- 15 playoff games, 5 goals, 1 assist. Also notable is the fact that 2 of those goals came in a single game (game 6 against the 'Hawks) in a losing cause.

Productive given the "right situation," you say? What could be "right-er" than the playoffs, where he has sucked for 6 straight seasons?

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:29 PM
OvechkinFTW!

Arnott + 5th/6th

for

Perreault

He's a NHLer in my book, but Perreault has no future with the Caps. Long term we've got Backstrom at C1, Johansson at C2, Gordon, Steckel, Eakin and Kuznetsov. Laich and Hendricks in a pinch. We can afford to ditch 85 for a rental.

That said, I'm not sure Arnott is the rental we want.

OvechkinFTW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvechkinFTW! View Post
He's a NHLer in my book, but Perreault has no future with the Caps. Long term we've got Backstrom at C1, Johansson at C2, Gordon, Steckel, Eakin and Kuznetsov. Laich and Hendricks in a pinch. We can afford to ditch 85 for a rental.
Long term?
Gordon, Laich, and Hendricks aren't signed past this season. While your assesment that Perreault might not have a future as a center on the Capitals is absolutely correct, it has very little to do with guys like Boyd Gordon or Matt Hendricks. If, for some reason, MP85 and Boyd Gordon ended up competing for the same role (which they won't, given they're very different players), the team could just as easily side with Perreault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvechkinFTW! View Post
That said, I'm not sure Arnott is the rental we want.
I'll agree with this.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote