HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#48 - 01.19.2011 | Toronto Maple Leafs @ New York Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG PLUS (HD)

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
Rangers are gonna lose this one tonight. 3-1, more likely 3-0.
Come on, why so negative all the time?

Old
01-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Osminator

vCash: 50
ESPN America subscribers (at least in Europe) rejoice!!! )))))) They have decided to shove College sports where the sun don't shine and are showing Rangers @ Maple Leafs tonight!!! WOOOHOOO!

Old
01-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Blueblood 2

Lgr!!

Old
01-19-2011, 04:57 PM
Swedish Fish
CONQUERED

Let's win this for Dubi.......and the next 11

Old
01-19-2011, 05:01 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
Come on, why so negative all the time?
dubinsky out and the team is just not that good as they would have you believe. just being honest.

Old
01-19-2011, 05:02 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
dubinsky out and the team is just not that good as they would have you believe. just being honest.
And how good would they have us believe that they are?

Seems like a sort of an abstract criticism.

01-19-2011, 05:05 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
If some people's predictions here were actually correct, we'd either be 82-0 or 0-82.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
01-19-2011, 05:10 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
And how good would they have us believe that they are?

Seems like a sort of an abstract criticism.
Well you see them play a game against the caps and win 7-0, or beat the best team in the league by shutout, To which people on this board respond with "We want the cup" threads and saying stuff like "wow we have a really good team" ect ect
...and then they get shut out by a team like the panthers, or they fail to show up for a game they NEED to win.

this team tricks people into thinking they are good by playing out of their minds some nights but they just dont have it in them to do it consistently, which is why even if they do make the playoffs this year, they'll be 1 and done.

Old
01-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Provolone*

Uggh. Just heard the Dubi injury on the WFAN. Part of me would rather throw Gilroy at forward, rather than playing Weise and bring up MDZ or Valantenko for D.

Old
01-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Pizza

Man this is going to be an interesting process until first Cally and now Dubi get back. I may get the wind knocked out of me but, I think the kids will respond to this.

This is an opportunity for people to step forward and take a leadership role. I really expect that from people like Staal and Stepan. I think Drury has got to be a much more visible presence on the ice than he has been.

Drop the frickin puck and lets just do this thing.

LGR!!!!

Old
01-19-2011, 05:19 PM
AJRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
ESPN America subscribers (at least in Europe) rejoice!!! )))))) They have decided to shove College sports where the sun don't shine and are showing Rangers @ Maple Leafs tonight!!! WOOOHOOO!
Really? Hadn't even noticed. Sense, at last.

Old
01-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Well you see them play a game against the caps and win 7-0, or beat the best team in the league by shutout, To which people on this board respond with "We want the cup" threads and saying stuff like "wow we have a really good team" ect ect
...and then they get shut out by a team like the panthers, or they fail to show up for a game they NEED to win.

this team tricks people into thinking they are good by playing out of their minds some nights but they just dont have it in them to do it consistently, which is why even if they do make the playoffs this year, they'll be 1 and done.
I do agree that the team itself leads you to believe that they are better than they are. But getting shut put by Fla, and losing 1 goal games to MTL, and PHI, does not mean this team stinks.

We will see what they are made of with the injuries. Lets just try to finish off the month well, and get some well needed rest during the all-star break.

Lets go rangers!

Old
01-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Dubi's injury hurts... a lot. Hopefully we can pull through until the All-Star break.

Old
01-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:

It shows two things: They can beat the best teams and they're inconsistent in certain games. But when they lose, it's not like they're getting blown out.

You're not going to win them all. Doesn't matter if you play bottom dwelling teams night in and night out.

Old
01-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:

You have a point, but I think all good teams go through inconsistent stretches. Look at Pittsburgh and Washington and their ups and downs.

Im not ready to say they'll be a first round out in the playoffs, especially until I get an idea of who they might play in the playoffs. Aside from Philidelphia and Pittsburgh, I think we have a pretty decent chance against any other team in the league, when our game is on.

By the trade deadline we (Hopefully) might be damn close to healthy with Dubi, Cally, and EC back, and maybe we're a PMD acquisition away from a decent playoffs. Isnt much fun to count a team in playoff position out 48 games into the season.

Old
01-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Foxhound I have nothing against you, but I just dont know how you have a good time being a sports fan. I guess you take the Vince Vaughn in dodge ball approach.

But, teams at all levels do what you were talking about. They play to their opponents level. Its hard not to do it, and its why good teams lose to bad teams, and why bad teams outplay good teams.

Old
01-19-2011, 05:29 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
I do agree that the team itself leads you to believe that they are better than they are. But getting shut put by Fla, and losing 1 goal games to MTL, and PHI, does not mean this team stinks.

We will see what they are made of with the injuries. Lets just try to finish off the month well, and get some well needed rest during the all-star break.

Lets go rangers!
Those games are a small sample set, but even calling them "1 goal games" is masking what they really are. They weren't nearly as close as that implies. and even so, thats just a small sample set. There are also a myriad of other games played this season that had "same old rangers" written all over it.

I hope they prove me wrong, I pray they do. I think this team has the right mindset. they know who they want to be and they know where they want to go. but they just don't have the tools to get there yet.

LGR though, always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA
It shows two things: They can beat the best teams and they're inconsistent in certain games.
And that inconsistency is what will keep them from ever achieving anything of importance...the sign of a mediocre team. which in my book, isn't good.

Old
01-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
And that inconsistency is what will keep them from ever achieving anything of importance...the sign of a mediocre team. which in my book, isn't good.
Fair enough.

Old
01-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Cmox

Heritage Jersey

Old
01-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmox View Post
Heritage Jersey
Aren't they supposed to wear them against Original 6 teams at home?

Old
01-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Oh yeah, Heritage jersey's!!

HAHA please lets take the 7-0 approach

Old
01-19-2011, 05:36 PM
mrhockey193195

Big game by Gabby. Bank on it.

Old
01-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Sunday games, and Original 6 opponents. Only at home.

And ooof, 2 for 32 on the PP in the last 10 games.

Old
01-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Cmox

16 goals in 10 games ..oooooooof

Old
01-19-2011, 05:39 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY
You have a point, but I think all good teams go through inconsistent stretches. Look at Pittsburgh and Washington and their ups and downs.

Im not ready to say they'll be a first round out in the playoffs, especially until I get an idea of who they might play in the playoffs. Aside from Philidelphia and Pittsburgh, I think we have a pretty decent chance against any other team in the league, when our game is on.

By the trade deadline we (Hopefully) might be damn close to healthy with Dubi, Cally, and EC back, and maybe we're a PMD acquisition away from a decent playoffs. Isnt much fun to count a team in playoff position out 48 games into the season.
Quote:
Foxhound I have nothing against you, but I just dont know how you have a good time being a sports fan. I guess you take the Vince Vaughn in dodge ball approach.

But, teams at all levels do what you were talking about. They play to their opponents level. Its hard not to do it, and its why good teams lose to bad teams, and why bad teams outplay good teams.
It's a cross I bear. Nothing against you either of course. Id just rather not be disappointed. Id rather be surprised by them winning a game. And then if they lose I dont have to stew about it because i consigned myself to the fact that they were gonna lose anyway.

I know all teams have inconsistant stretches, but look at the personal on this team compared to the ones you are mentioning...not comparable. If the rangers went on to lose 10 in a row nobody would bat an eye because they expect it. Those teams they expect them to because they are great teams. Nobody expects the Rangers do well for a reason. Right now, they are overachieivng.

It's also the fact that they can't win a big game. I said it in another gameday thread that last week, one of their toughest weeks of the season, i thought they'd go 0-4, because when the going gets tough, the rangers seem to go somewhere else. Last week would have been a way to prove that they could come up big. i was off by 1, a game which they won by scoring only 1 goal. Don't get me wrong, i was impressed by that win. But I'm always looking ahead. The islanders don't play in the playoffs. The Flyers do. if they can't beat them now it just doesn't seem likely they'll do it when it's most important.

anyways, i hope they win tonight, and i hope maybe the dubi injury brings them closer together. but my cynical self just doesn't see it. Ill save my cynicism until after the game, if it's warranted. and again, i hope it's not.

Closed Thread