HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Stars and Flyers

Old
01-19-2011, 05:47 PM
vofty

vCash: 500
Didn't know it was possible but a terrible thread to start with somehow got worse

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
The drama of which conference is better doesn't need to be brought it.

I consider it pretty much a statistical lie. The conferences are inherently different in terms of competition. You really can't argue that one is better than the other in terms of wins and losses.

Truth be told, a lot of that overinflated nonsense is because Eastern Conference teams aren't used to the painstaking traveling that Western Conference teams are. If you threw the top Eastern teams into the Western Conference, a lot of them would go through an adjustment period but it would eventually stabilize.

While assuming that the Stars would be at the Rangers' level is kind of pointless, it is equally pointless to assume that the Stars would be at the same level of the Flyers and Penguins if they played in the East.

Basically I consider all drama about the West being worse than the East just the ranting on madmen on a binge to prove that the West is better than the East whether it be due to some inferiority complex or the desperate endeavor for self-affirmation.

The Flyers have a better offense and a better defense than the Stars. That is the only fact involved.
It seems as if you might be the one that feels a little threatened when the East vs. West record is brought up. It's not an inferiority complex when the West has dominated in cross conference play in recent years.

And as for the last part, that is not a fact. Move Dallas' team to any Northeast city and you would hear about how they have as good of an offense as anyone. Richards/Carter/Briere/Giroux/Hartnell/Leino/Van Riemsdyk is pretty comparable to Richards/Ribeiro/Eriksson/Neal/Morrow/Langenbrunner/Benn. The biggest difference is Dallas plugs in the rest of their top 9 with grit (Ott, Burish) and Philly plugs it in with skill (Zherdev, Nodl). And while Philly has bigger names, Dallas has played up to the level of Philly's D or has even outplayed them over 46 games which is not a small sample.

Ambassador Of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 06:24 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post
i doubt nodl and powe would be untouchable if the right offer came around.
True. Maybe put them in parentheses with Carle.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 06:36 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhicksnightmare View Post
And as for the last part, that is not a fact. Move Dallas' team to any Northeast city and you would hear about how they have as good of an offense as anyone.
Would we hear about it more? Yes.
Does that change my opinion of Dallas? No.

Media discussion means absolutely nothing to me. Hell, it means nothing to most Flyers' fans you will talk to. We constantly get the short-end of the attention stick. Unlike many fans of teams in the West coast, we don't openly complain about it.

Trust me, I'm well aware of how good Dallas is. Their offense is very close, but not quite on par with the Flyers. Feel free to disagree. That's perfectly fine.

Defensively though, the Dallas Stars are not as good as the Flyers. If you would've taken note, the Flyers were basically in the top 5 in GAA for most of the season so far but took a significant nose-dive when Pronger was out. Most of that does not necessarily have to do with the fact that Pronger himself was out because Meszaros has jumped into a steady role (though not quite Pronger level but still very good) very admirably since Pronger's absence. That did kind of leave Meszaros' partner, Sean O'Donnell, out to dry. O'Donnell was one of the league leaders in +/- with Meszaros. When paired with Bartulis/Walker, O'Donnell's had to cover his own pairing which isn't an easy task. He's solid enough, but he can't carry weaker players.

I don't consider Dallas' defense anywhere near on par with the Flyers. Maybe that's bold of me, but I think Dallas makes up the gap with solid goaltender whereas the Flyers goaltending is hardly consistent or proven.

Quote:
Richards/Carter/Briere/Giroux/Hartnell/Leino/Van Riemsdyk is pretty comparable to Richards/Ribeiro/Eriksson/Neal/Morrow/Langenbrunner/Benn. The biggest difference is Dallas plugs in the rest of their top 9 with grit (Ott, Burish) and Philly plugs it in with skill (Zherdev, Nodl). And while Philly has bigger names, Dallas has played up to the level of Philly's D or has even outplayed them over 46 games which is not a small sample.
I consider Richards, Carter, Briere, Giroux, Leino, Hartnell, vanRiemsdyk, Zherdev, and Nodl a stronger top nine than Richards, Ribeiro, Eriksson, Neal, Morrow, Langenbrunner, Benn, Ott, and Burish. I thought last year that Dallas' offense would be one of the best in the NHL fairly quietly. I didn't necessarily expect that this year they would finally make their noise. So I give Philly the slight advantage. A decent one, but not exactly significant in the grand scheme of things.

As for defense, Dallas' defense has NOT outplayed the Flyers defense through 46 games. Goaltending has factored into that as well as Pronger's absence on the Flyers' blueline.

GAA is a team stat. It's defense, forwards, and goaltending; goaltending being the operative word for the Dalls > Philly discussion defensively. I will tell you right now that those numbers will once again favor Philadelphia, as they have the majority of the 2010-11 season, as soon as Pronger is healthy and at full pace. He comes back tomorrow.

Old
01-19-2011, 06:50 PM
SEALBound
RIP Elmer

Neal for Leino

Thats about the only deal I could see feasibly happening...and even then its only a 5% chance...ish.

SEALBound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Neal for Leino

Thats about the only deal I could see feasibly happening...and even then its only a 5% chance...ish.
There is no piece that Philly would actually add to this deal that Dallas would accept.

Ambassador Of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 06:57 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Neal for Leino

Rumor has it that we already have an extension in place for Leino.

Plus he's a UFA after this year.

Plus he's older than Neal.

Plus he's an important part of the most consistent line for the Flyers.

Plus he's cheap this year which keeps Philly enough under the current cap hit to make other moves.

Plus he's not worse enough than Neal to make up the current different in salary.

No reason for either team to make that trade.

Old
01-19-2011, 07:38 PM
StarsCaptainOU

I'll trade Niskanen for a bag of used hockey pucks.

StarsCaptainOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 07:48 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsCaptainOU View Post
I'll trade Niskanen for a bag of used hockey pucks.
So basically Carcillo?

We don't need a dman though.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 01:24 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
I merely pointed out that there were just as many champions in the Atlantic and Pacific divisions post-lockout, and both divisions have had more or less, their share of at least two contenders (as per experts) in the same time-frame. Phi and Pit for you this year, SJ and L.A. (that's what experts picked) for us this year.
Which is no point for exactly every discussion regarding the present.
So why even bring it up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
No, what is hilarious is seeing you make a half-arsed decision based on a fragment of a conversation between two people which obviously didn't involve you in the first place, and fail in your attempt at getting back at me for pointing out your faux-pas earlier.

Cheers, mate!
Conversation I wasn't even involved in to begin with?
Do you know how internet forums work?

I still don't see my faux-pass, Madame.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 01:50 AM
Dr Danglefest
Vindication

Quote:
It seems as if you might be the one that feels a little threatened when the East vs. West record is brought up. It's not an inferiority complex when the West has dominated in cross conference play in recent years.

And as for the last part, that is not a fact. Move Dallas' team to any Northeast city and you would hear about how they have as good of an offense as anyone. Richards/Carter/Briere/Giroux/Hartnell/Leino/Van Riemsdyk is pretty comparable to Richards/Ribeiro/Eriksson/Neal/Morrow/Langenbrunner/Benn. The biggest difference is Dallas plugs in the rest of their top 9 with grit (Ott, Burish) and Philly plugs it in with skill (Zherdev, Nodl). And while Philly has bigger names, Dallas has played up to the level of Philly's D or has even outplayed them over 46 games which is not a small sample.
dont kid yourself philly has the better offense...much better...not that dallas doesnt have a good offense its just not as comparable as your trying to make it seem..

I have wanted for YEARS a philly vs dallas stanley cup (almost had one a couple years ago!) but lets just wait till that happens to decide whos the better team, nothing you guys are saying proves anything.

Dr Danglefest is offline   Reply With Quote