HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philadelphia Union Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2011, 04:49 PM
  #501
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
Ahh, fair point. My American-centric view rears its ugly head again, as none of the big four sports in America has sponsors on the jerseys. Like I said, I'm new to this. So, follow the what is it, badge, then, not the name on the back?
No idea what you'd say to be honest. I try to stick to Spurs, but I'm admittedly a casual fan, so who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Adjust your sarcasm detector.
Thaaaaank you.

CantSeeColors is offline  
Old
01-18-2011, 01:17 PM
  #502
Jaydepps
Registered User
 
Jaydepps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Greenfield, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,393
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
According to the Philadelphia Union Facebook page they have selected Midfielder, Ryan Richter, out of La Salle University with the fifth overall pick in the Supplemental Draft.

Jaydepps is offline  
Old
01-18-2011, 01:19 PM
  #503
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydepps View Post
According to the Philadelphia Union Facebook page they have selected Midfielder, Ryan Richter, out of La Salle University with the fifth overall pick in the Supplemental Draft.
Apparently the Union don't like defense, at all. They have little defense depth and continue to stack the midfield with prospects.

IrishSniper87 is offline  
Old
01-19-2011, 09:25 AM
  #504
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Apparently the Union don't like defense, at all. They have little defense depth and continue to stack the midfield with prospects.
Not exactly a terrible idea.

Unless you are playing a ridiculous setup (like Argentina's 3 forwards) then success in soccer is 55% midfield, 20% strikers, 15% defense, 10% goalie.

What setup do the Union play, anyway? This thread (and your posts especially) have single handedly made me slightly curious about going to a game. I had no idea the MLS was finally becoming a respectably talented league before.

agrudez* is offline  
Old
01-19-2011, 07:27 PM
  #505
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Apparently the Union don't like defense, at all. They have little defense depth and continue to stack the midfield with prospects.
Or with any luck they already have a transfer or two lined up to play defense and figure they already have that locked up for a while.

CantSeeColors is offline  
Old
01-19-2011, 07:51 PM
  #506
Raffl House
Registered User
 
Raffl House's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: South Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,849
vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Like the PECO Power Play
or case of Tastykakes when the Flyers score
or McDonalds tickets for breakfast sandwiches when they score 4 or more
or Wells Fargo Center
or Comcast SportsNet
or Budweiser, Volkswagen logos at center ice
or BMW commercials starring Mike Richards

Face it, we are bombarded with ads in the states. Soccer in England is a 90 minute sport that is on tv for 2 hours. No commercials at all during the 1st or 2nd half.

To compare which is worse.
3.5-4 hours to watch 60 mins of American football
2 hours to watch 90 minutes plus stoppage time of English football with a sponsorship ad on the front of the jersey.

To be honest, our system in America is ****ed up.
Love this.

But I'm still glad I bought my Union jersey BEFORE Bimbo came in.

Raffl House is offline  
Old
01-19-2011, 10:33 PM
  #507
usahockey22flyers
Shot, Rebound, Score
 
usahockey22flyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,285
vCash: 500
On a side note.....USA vs Chile this Saturday 1/22, very excited to see the young kids play. All US supporters should get used to the names Agudelo, Bunbury (Strikers), Tim Ream, Omar Gonzalez (Defenders). These four players could play a huge role for the next four years.

Also, USA vs Argentina at the New Meadowlands on March 26th, I went to US/Brazil at the Meadowlands in August, great atmosphere. Before I buy tickets, I wanna make sure all the studs for Argentina are playing

Anddddddddddd, I cant believe the Union put Bimbo on there jerseys

usahockey22flyers is offline  
Old
01-20-2011, 08:27 AM
  #508
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
The Union are introducing Fayrd Mondragon and Carlos Valdes today at Fado. The official Union announcement has been leaked already.

Mondragon gives us a capable goalie (former Colombian MNT) while MacMath develops and Valdes probably jumps to the very top of the defense depth chart as our new top CB (IMO). Valdes-Califf in the CB spot with Orozco-Fiscal likely finding playing time at LB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Not exactly a terrible idea.

Unless you are playing a ridiculous setup (like Argentina's 3 forwards) then success in soccer is 55% midfield, 20% strikers, 15% defense, 10% goalie.

What setup do the Union play, anyway? This thread (and your posts especially) have single handedly made me slightly curious about going to a game. I had no idea the MLS was finally becoming a respectably talented league before.
The Union ran a 4-2-2-2 last season, mostly. It looks like they will be doing something similar again this season, but with a few additions. (Think 4-4-2 but the wingers are further up and the central mids are now CDM's and further back)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Or with any luck they already have a transfer or two lined up to play defense and figure they already have that locked up for a while.
see the top, lol.

Rumors say Marek Mintal is still possible, but lately there are rumors of a 25 year old Colombian by the name of Perlaza who might sign with the Union. He is apparently a pretty solid striker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Perlaza



(Right)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carle Winslow View Post
Love this.

But I'm still glad I bought my Union jersey BEFORE Bimbo came in.
I'm thinking of grabbing a pre-BIMBO jersey myself, haha.

IrishSniper87 is offline  
Old
01-20-2011, 08:29 AM
  #509
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
It's official, they got Mondragon and Valdes: http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/new...ragon-d-valdes

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the team's connection with Colombia is? One of the guys from last season whose name escapes me also is Colombian, right? That just seems like an awful lot of high end talent to be coincidence.

CantSeeColors is offline  
Old
01-20-2011, 09:54 AM
  #510
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
It's official, they got Mondragon and Valdes: http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/new...ragon-d-valdes

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the team's connection with Colombia is? One of the guys from last season whose name escapes me also is Colombian, right? That just seems like an awful lot of high end talent to be coincidence.
The Unions new head of scouting and player development is Diego Gutiérrez. He was born in Colombian and had a US MNT cap in his career.

Midfielder Roger Torres is on Loan currently to the Union (from América de Cali) and he is also Colombian. Juan Diego Gonzalez is also a Colombian on the Union, although he is more of a substitute.

IrishSniper87 is offline  
Old
01-20-2011, 09:57 PM
  #511
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
The Unions new head of scouting and player development is Diego Gutiérrez. He was born in Colombian and had a US MNT cap in his career.

Midfielder Roger Torres is on Loan currently to the Union (from América de Cali) and he is also Colombian. Juan Diego Gonzalez is also a Colombian on the Union, although he is more of a substitute.
Gotcha. The Gutierrez thing is the type that I was hinting at. Torres is the guy whose name I couldn't think of.

CantSeeColors is offline  
Old
01-24-2011, 06:06 PM
  #512
slitz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
rumor is jeremiah white ( 1 usmnt cap) left his team in poland and was at training camp today

slitz is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 08:45 AM
  #513
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitz View Post
rumor is jeremiah white ( 1 usmnt cap) left his team in poland and was at training camp today
Now THAT is a move I can get on board with. A US international coming home to the states at 28 years old.

I would still like a little more help up top, but Le Toux, Mwanga, and Jac Mac can handle it if they grab a guy like White. White and Mapp as the attacking wingers with Carroll and Nakazawa in the CDM slots? Looks much better then last year!

Throw in Mondragon in net, Valdes in the CB spot with Califf and MOF pushed to LB and I am throughly impressed with the Unions upgrades actually.

------- Mwanga -- Le Toux -------
-- Mapp ------------------ White --
------- Carroll --- Nakazawa ------
- MOF -- Califf - Valdes -- Williams -
----------- Mondragon -------------

IrishSniper87 is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 11:42 AM
  #514
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Someone on Bigsoccer claims one of the unknown trialists with the Union is actually US INT Freddy Adu. (How the **** do people recognize Jeremiah White before Freddy Adu?) The pictures on Bigsoccer are kinda small though, so it's hard to tell.

Now THAT would be a headline in itself, wouldnt it? Adu to Union and re-uniting with Nowak?

Hey, a man can dream.

IrishSniper87 is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 01:44 PM
  #515
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Someone on Bigsoccer claims one of the unknown trialists with the Union is actually US INT Freddy Adu. (How the **** do people recognize Jeremiah White before Freddy Adu?) The pictures on Bigsoccer are kinda small though, so it's hard to tell.

Now THAT would be a headline in itself, wouldnt it? Adu to Union and re-uniting with Nowak?

Hey, a man can dream.
Rumor squashed, it's not Adu.

IrishSniper87 is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 01:59 PM
  #516
flyersguy33*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Rumor squashed, it's not Adu.
damn, that would have been pretty sweet

flyersguy33* is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 02:22 PM
  #517
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
damn, that would have been pretty sweet
Jeremiah White did practice with the Union yesterday. That was confirmed.

IrishSniper87 is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 07:07 PM
  #518
slitz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
yeah the dude on big soccer was joking about adu. despite the DC connection, nowak and adu didnt see eye to eye, to say the least. he wont be coming here.

in other news, knighton was waived today

slitz is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 07:30 PM
  #519
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitz View Post
yeah the dude on big soccer was joking about adu. despite the DC connection, nowak and adu didnt see eye to eye, to say the least. he wont be coming here.

in other news, knighton was waived today
I read that Nowak said all Adu cares about it is booze and ***** and that he is wasting his talent.

Looks like Nowak is right, haha. He is bouncing around Europe rather quickly. I think he would be a top talent in MLS though, but you are right, it wont be here, that's for sure.

IrishSniper87 is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 08:34 PM
  #520
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,502
vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Nowak ruined Adu's career. Adu will never play for a Nowak managed team.

BillyShoe1721 is offline  
Old
01-26-2011, 08:35 AM
  #521
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Nowak ruined Adu's career. Adu will never play for a Nowak managed team.
I'd say Adu ruined Adu's career. Based on what I have read, Adu got caught up in the distractions of being the "next big thing" and didnt focus on actually playing soccer.

IrishSniper87 is offline  
Old
01-31-2011, 01:44 PM
  #522
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 13,166
vCash: 955
An update on the illustrious career of Freddy Adu:

He has been loaned by Benfica to Rizespor (Turkey) for the remainder if the season.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline  
Old
01-31-2011, 04:45 PM
  #523
slitz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
"big" mls announcement tomorrow. guesses? i'm betting its some all star crap since landy and handball henry are in on it

slitz is offline  
Old
01-31-2011, 06:11 PM
  #524
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
An update on the illustrious career of Freddy Adu:

He has been loaned by Benfica to Rizespor (Turkey) for the remainder if the season.
He needs time to play as a nobody to get his game back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitz View Post
"big" mls announcement tomorrow. guesses? i'm betting its some all star crap since landy and handball henry are in on it
Yeah, yawn. Unless it's a Versus contract, that would be AWESOME.

IrishSniper87 is offline  
Old
01-31-2011, 06:14 PM
  #525
Start Leighton*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 3,099
vCash: 500
Soooooooo "BIG" announcement tomorrow...... It seems Fernando Torres demanded a transfer. Nando Torres to Union E6 *****es

Start Leighton* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.