HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philadelphia Union Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2011, 04:49 PM
CantSeeColors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
Ahh, fair point. My American-centric view rears its ugly head again, as none of the big four sports in America has sponsors on the jerseys. Like I said, I'm new to this. So, follow the what is it, badge, then, not the name on the back?
No idea what you'd say to be honest. I try to stick to Spurs, but I'm admittedly a casual fan, so who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Adjust your sarcasm detector.
Thaaaaank you.

Old
01-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
According to the Philadelphia Union Facebook page they have selected Midfielder, Ryan Richter, out of La Salle University with the fifth overall pick in the Supplemental Draft.

Old
01-18-2011, 01:19 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydepps View Post
According to the Philadelphia Union Facebook page they have selected Midfielder, Ryan Richter, out of La Salle University with the fifth overall pick in the Supplemental Draft.
Apparently the Union don't like defense, at all. They have little defense depth and continue to stack the midfield with prospects.

Old
01-19-2011, 09:25 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Apparently the Union don't like defense, at all. They have little defense depth and continue to stack the midfield with prospects.
Not exactly a terrible idea.

Unless you are playing a ridiculous setup (like Argentina's 3 forwards) then success in soccer is 55% midfield, 20% strikers, 15% defense, 10% goalie.

What setup do the Union play, anyway? This thread (and your posts especially) have single handedly made me slightly curious about going to a game. I had no idea the MLS was finally becoming a respectably talented league before.

Old
01-19-2011, 07:27 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Or with any luck they already have a transfer or two lined up to play defense and figure they already have that locked up for a while.

Old
01-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
Quote:
Like the PECO Power Play
or case of Tastykakes when the Flyers score
or McDonalds tickets for breakfast sandwiches when they score 4 or more
or Wells Fargo Center
or Comcast SportsNet
or Budweiser, Volkswagen logos at center ice
or BMW commercials starring Mike Richards

Face it, we are bombarded with ads in the states. Soccer in England is a 90 minute sport that is on tv for 2 hours. No commercials at all during the 1st or 2nd half.

To compare which is worse.
3.5-4 hours to watch 60 mins of American football
2 hours to watch 90 minutes plus stoppage time of English football with a sponsorship ad on the front of the jersey.

To be honest, our system in America is ****ed up.
Love this.

But I'm still glad I bought my Union jersey BEFORE Bimbo came in.

Old
01-19-2011, 10:33 PM
usahockey22flyers
Shot, Rebound, Score

On a side note.....USA vs Chile this Saturday 1/22, very excited to see the young kids play. All US supporters should get used to the names Agudelo, Bunbury (Strikers), Tim Ream, Omar Gonzalez (Defenders). These four players could play a huge role for the next four years.

Also, USA vs Argentina at the New Meadowlands on March 26th, I went to US/Brazil at the Meadowlands in August, great atmosphere. Before I buy tickets, I wanna make sure all the studs for Argentina are playing

Anddddddddddd, I cant believe the Union put Bimbo on there jerseys

Old
01-20-2011, 08:27 AM
IrishSniper87

The Union are introducing Fayrd Mondragon and Carlos Valdes today at Fado. The official Union announcement has been leaked already.

Mondragon gives us a capable goalie (former Colombian MNT) while MacMath develops and Valdes probably jumps to the very top of the defense depth chart as our new top CB (IMO). Valdes-Califf in the CB spot with Orozco-Fiscal likely finding playing time at LB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Not exactly a terrible idea.

Unless you are playing a ridiculous setup (like Argentina's 3 forwards) then success in soccer is 55% midfield, 20% strikers, 15% defense, 10% goalie.

What setup do the Union play, anyway? This thread (and your posts especially) have single handedly made me slightly curious about going to a game. I had no idea the MLS was finally becoming a respectably talented league before.
The Union ran a 4-2-2-2 last season, mostly. It looks like they will be doing something similar again this season, but with a few additions. (Think 4-4-2 but the wingers are further up and the central mids are now CDM's and further back)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Or with any luck they already have a transfer or two lined up to play defense and figure they already have that locked up for a while.
see the top, lol.

Rumors say Marek Mintal is still possible, but lately there are rumors of a 25 year old Colombian by the name of Perlaza who might sign with the Union. He is apparently a pretty solid striker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Perlaza

(Right)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carle Winslow View Post
Love this.

But I'm still glad I bought my Union jersey BEFORE Bimbo came in.
I'm thinking of grabbing a pre-BIMBO jersey myself, haha.

Old
01-20-2011, 08:29 AM
CantSeeColors

It's official, they got Mondragon and Valdes: http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/new...ragon-d-valdes

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the team's connection with Colombia is? One of the guys from last season whose name escapes me also is Colombian, right? That just seems like an awful lot of high end talent to be coincidence.

Old
01-20-2011, 09:54 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
It's official, they got Mondragon and Valdes: http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/new...ragon-d-valdes

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the team's connection with Colombia is? One of the guys from last season whose name escapes me also is Colombian, right? That just seems like an awful lot of high end talent to be coincidence.
The Unions new head of scouting and player development is Diego Gutiérrez. He was born in Colombian and had a US MNT cap in his career.

Midfielder Roger Torres is on Loan currently to the Union (from América de Cali) and he is also Colombian. Juan Diego Gonzalez is also a Colombian on the Union, although he is more of a substitute.

Old
01-20-2011, 09:57 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
The Unions new head of scouting and player development is Diego Gutiérrez. He was born in Colombian and had a US MNT cap in his career.

Midfielder Roger Torres is on Loan currently to the Union (from América de Cali) and he is also Colombian. Juan Diego Gonzalez is also a Colombian on the Union, although he is more of a substitute.
Gotcha. The Gutierrez thing is the type that I was hinting at. Torres is the guy whose name I couldn't think of.

Old
01-24-2011, 06:06 PM
slitz

rumor is jeremiah white ( 1 usmnt cap) left his team in poland and was at training camp today

Old
01-25-2011, 08:45 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitz View Post
rumor is jeremiah white ( 1 usmnt cap) left his team in poland and was at training camp today
Now THAT is a move I can get on board with. A US international coming home to the states at 28 years old.

I would still like a little more help up top, but Le Toux, Mwanga, and Jac Mac can handle it if they grab a guy like White. White and Mapp as the attacking wingers with Carroll and Nakazawa in the CDM slots? Looks much better then last year!

Throw in Mondragon in net, Valdes in the CB spot with Califf and MOF pushed to LB and I am throughly impressed with the Unions upgrades actually.

------- Mwanga -- Le Toux -------
-- Mapp ------------------ White --
------- Carroll --- Nakazawa ------
- MOF -- Califf - Valdes -- Williams -
----------- Mondragon -------------

Old
01-25-2011, 11:42 AM
IrishSniper87

Someone on Bigsoccer claims one of the unknown trialists with the Union is actually US INT Freddy Adu. (How the **** do people recognize Jeremiah White before Freddy Adu?) The pictures on Bigsoccer are kinda small though, so it's hard to tell.

Now THAT would be a headline in itself, wouldnt it? Adu to Union and re-uniting with Nowak?

Hey, a man can dream.

Old
01-25-2011, 01:44 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Someone on Bigsoccer claims one of the unknown trialists with the Union is actually US INT Freddy Adu. (How the **** do people recognize Jeremiah White before Freddy Adu?) The pictures on Bigsoccer are kinda small though, so it's hard to tell.

Now THAT would be a headline in itself, wouldnt it? Adu to Union and re-uniting with Nowak?

Hey, a man can dream.
Rumor squashed, it's not Adu.

Old
01-25-2011, 01:59 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Rumor squashed, it's not Adu.
damn, that would have been pretty sweet

Old
01-25-2011, 02:22 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
damn, that would have been pretty sweet
Jeremiah White did practice with the Union yesterday. That was confirmed.

Old
01-25-2011, 07:07 PM
slitz

yeah the dude on big soccer was joking about adu. despite the DC connection, nowak and adu didnt see eye to eye, to say the least. he wont be coming here.

in other news, knighton was waived today

Old
01-25-2011, 07:30 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
yeah the dude on big soccer was joking about adu. despite the DC connection, nowak and adu didnt see eye to eye, to say the least. he wont be coming here.

in other news, knighton was waived today
I read that Nowak said all Adu cares about it is booze and ***** and that he is wasting his talent.

Looks like Nowak is right, haha. He is bouncing around Europe rather quickly. I think he would be a top talent in MLS though, but you are right, it wont be here, that's for sure.

Old
01-25-2011, 08:34 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Nowak ruined Adu's career. Adu will never play for a Nowak managed team.

Old
01-26-2011, 08:35 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Nowak ruined Adu's career. Adu will never play for a Nowak managed team.
I'd say Adu ruined Adu's career. Based on what I have read, Adu got caught up in the distractions of being the "next big thing" and didnt focus on actually playing soccer.

Old
01-31-2011, 01:44 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
An update on the illustrious career of Freddy Adu:

He has been loaned by Benfica to Rizespor (Turkey) for the remainder if the season.

Old
01-31-2011, 04:45 PM
slitz

"big" mls announcement tomorrow. guesses? i'm betting its some all star crap since landy and handball henry are in on it

Old
01-31-2011, 06:11 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
An update on the illustrious career of Freddy Adu:

He has been loaned by Benfica to Rizespor (Turkey) for the remainder if the season.
He needs time to play as a nobody to get his game back.

Quote:
"big" mls announcement tomorrow. guesses? i'm betting its some all star crap since landy and handball henry are in on it
Yeah, yawn. Unless it's a Versus contract, that would be AWESOME.

Old
01-31-2011, 06:14 PM
Start Leighton*

Soooooooo "BIG" announcement tomorrow...... It seems Fernando Torres demanded a transfer. Nando Torres to Union E6 *****es

Closed Thread