HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wolski deal a gamble/potential Grachev fallout

Old
01-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

vCash: 500
All true statements, but Sather makes all of those calls, not the fans. I don't believe he cares for one second what the peanut gallery thinks.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:57 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
I have some concern with Grachev because in each camp that I watch him play his level of compete doesn't seem to be very high. Guys like Stepan, MDZ and MZA all have a very high level of compete when I watch them play. Grachev doesn't. Maybe he got used to things coming easy to him, being so much larger and faster than everyone in Jrs, he didn't have to try hard, now in the Pros everyone is just as big and just as fast? I don't really know. But he doesn't seem to be progressing as fast as I had hoped and other players seem to be passing him by so maybe that makes him expendable. For that, I'd rather move him now than get burned like we did on a Montoya or a Jessiman where we waited too long. I trust in Gordie Clark and Jim Shoenfeld much more than I do Renney and Maloney and Clark and Shoney don't believe that a prospect is progressing right or that we should/can move him, then I'm okay with that because they're a lot closer to the action than I am. So far the decisions they've made have been pretty darn good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Our second round picks have been:

2010: Chris Thomas
2009: Ethan Werek
2008: Derek Stepan
2007: Antoine Lafleur
2006: Artem Anisimov
2005: Michael Sauer

Other than Lafleur, who else would you give up for a rental defenseman?

Come on people, let's not waste picks on players who will most likely make no difference for us, and even if they will it will at most be to win an extra game, making no difference in winning or losing the Cup.

Keep the pick and go for high-risk, high-return guys like Thomas and Stepan.
Lets not forget Dubinsky in 2004. Werek and Thomas aren't ready yet and Lafleur was in a draft year known to be in a bad draft. So from 2004 to 2008 it was...

2008: Derek Stepan
2007: Antoine Lafleur
2006: Artem Anisimov
2005: Michael Sauer
2004: Brandon Dubinsky

All of whom are on the current roster except one (notoriously thin draft that year) and all of whom are playing major roles on this team. None of which you want to give up for a rental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
All true statements, but Sather makes all of those calls, not the fans. I don't believe he cares for one second what the peanut gallery thinks.
Nah, Slats sits back and sucks on cubans. He hires people around him to make decisions. Manager aka Delegater.

Last edited by vipernsx: 01-19-2011 at 01:09 PM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:02 PM
cally4captain

The Grachev scenario right now is very interesting. There obviously was a lot of hype surrounding him when he entered the AHL following his successful seasons with Brampton of the OHL. Since then, though, we haven't heard very much about him other than that he is not NHL ready. I mean, if this guy is as talented as he is supposed to be, wouldn't he have been excelling at the AHL level at a pace much quicker than he is now? I am starting to wonder about Grachev's future, because so far he has disappointed me a bit.

cally4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
I have some concern with Grachev because in each camp that I watch him play his level of compete doesn't seem to be very high.
Well the good thing is that it sounds like that is what he has improved on recently and is making plays happen more rather than trying to let things come to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cally4captain View Post
The Grachev scenario right now is very interesting. There obviously was a lot of hype surrounding him when he entered the AHL following his successful seasons with Brampton of the OHL. Since then, though, we haven't heard very much about him other than that he is not NHL ready. I mean, if this guy is as talented as he is supposed to be, wouldn't he have been excelling at the AHL level at a pace much quicker than he is now? I am starting to wonder about Grachev's future, because so far he has disappointed me a bit.
Well, he was probably oversold to some people. He never was a legitimate star talent, the kind where even without trying he could pot 20+ goals (think Zherdev). His was the kind of talent that came out when he played a certain way and was able to use certain gifts. He's overall not talented enough to just float by on talent alone though.

That doesn't mean he can't be a good goal scorer or point producer, but that he really has to learn how to use the talents he has at a professional level. As mentioned, he seems to be getting better and finding a way to get into scoring position more often, so we can hope he builds on that.

I think it's fine to be worried about his development at this point. I wouldn't completely give up on him yet, but there's definitely some cause for concern. He is still very young though, so what you really want to see out of him the rest of this year is continued improvement

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:48 PM
cally4captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Well, he was probably oversold to some people. He never was a legitimate star talent, the kind where even without trying he could pot 20+ goals (think Zherdev). His was the kind of talent that came out when he played a certain way and was able to use certain gifts. He's overall not talented enough to just float by on talent alone though.

That doesn't mean he can't be a good goal scorer or point producer, but that he really has to learn how to use the talents he has at a professional level. As mentioned, he seems to be getting better and finding a way to get into scoring position more often, so we can hope he builds on that.

I think it's fine to be worried about his development at this point. I wouldn't completely give up on him yet, but there's definitely some cause for concern. He is still very young though, so what you really want to see out of him the rest of this year is continued improvement
I understand what you are saying. It seemed like he was one of those players that could get by on talent alone, but apparently that is not the case. As long as he continues to improve, I don't have much of a problem. However, there are many other offensive prospects improving quicker than him, so Grachev's spot may be gone before he even gets a legitimate chance to earn it.

cally4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Blueblood 2

Gamble? Looks like a miracle now that Dubi is down! Sather is blessed this season.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 06:51 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
I know it's early and I normally like to reserve judgement until after ~15 games or so, but this trade is looking phenomenal right now.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 08:51 PM
asparkoflife

Wolski 5 points(2g,3a) in 5 games as a Ranger.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Top_Shelf_Shooter

Grachev is going to get his chance again soon with the way Fedotenko got hit by Komisarek.... Sam said it in tonight's broadcast that Torts didn't look pleased when Jim Ramsey told him what it was.... one can only guess.... shoulder separation perhaps?

For one I like Grachev & hope he gets a chance to shine.... god knows he will see minutes if he is called up.... Rangers are getting thin up front!

Top_Shelf_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 09:25 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prusted View Post
Wolski 5 points(2g,3a) in 5 games as a Ranger.
So great, considering how much of a nothingmaster he was in Phoenix. Hopefully he doesn't go a PPG for the rest of the year and then disappear next season.

01-20-2011, 12:16 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

What's the bad talk on Avery??

Hope Wolski holds up, loving it so far

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 12:31 AM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
I don't want to give up on Grachev just yet - he's still a young man who is adjusting to the pro game. He's big, talented, and has produced before. He just needs to get his confidence back. I think the Whale has had a bit of a problem with their locker room, though, from what I've heard. He's been better since they made the moves of trading Byers and Williams, and acquiring Kolarik really seemed to help Grachev a lot.

On the contrary, I agree that Wolski might have been traded for to fill the void that Grachev was supposed to fill, lest he doesn't develop into what the organization expected. He has many of the same traits as Grachev - big, talented, and a bit of a headcase. If he can get his baggage together, he could become a real key offensive player for us in the future. He's still only 24, and he had 65 points last year. it would be awesome if he could put up that type of production on a yearly basis. it would give us even more depth at LW in the organization.

I would like to see what Wolski could potentially do after Torts gets his hands on him, much like he did with Dubinsky and Boyle. There's a lot of potential there to be a 70+ point guy, and if there was a coach who could turn him into that, I think Torts is the guy to do that.

Getting back to Grachev, I believe that he will start to produce once he gets his confidence back, and he realizes that he is immensely talented. If not, though, it wouldn't be as big of a problem as before.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote