HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phillies' Baseball (MLB): Happy Halladays and a Merry Cliffmas!

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2011, 08:34 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I have no problem keeping Blanton as the #5. There is no cap so they can pay him $40 million a year for all I care about. If the team has the money to pay him, who cares if he is just the 5th starter. If they trade Blanton, it isn't going to be for a better pitcher, so why not have the guy be the fifth starter? Blanton isn't a bad pitcher at all. He will be fine in the fifth spot.

Old
01-19-2011, 08:39 PM
dawkins121

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I have no problem keeping Blanton as the #5. There is no cap so they can pay him $40 million a year for all I care about. If the team has the money to pay him, who cares if he is just the 5th starter. If they trade Blanton, it isn't going to be for a better pitcher, so why not have the guy be the fifth starter? Blanton isn't a bad pitcher at all. He will be fine in the fifth spot.
I'd rather see what kind of assets we could get for Blanton. If we could get even just a mid-level prospect or two it would probably be better asset management then just saying screw it. On the other hand we're probably all jinxing ourselves saying we don't need him and by early June we're going to have 2 of our big 4 on the DL and be trying to scrape by with Kendrick, Worley, and fresh out of rehab Moyer filling out our rotation.

Old
01-19-2011, 08:47 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
I'd rather see what kind of assets we could get for Blanton. If we could get even just a mid-level prospect or two it would probably be better asset management then just saying screw it. On the other hand we're probably all jinxing ourselves saying we don't need him and by early June we're going to have 2 of our big 4 on the DL and be trying to scrape by with Kendrick, Worley, and fresh out of rehab Moyer filling out our rotation.
That's poor asset management though. Getting a guy who maybe will be as good as Joe Blanton a few years from now is not as valuable as Joe Blanton now. Sure he is making WAY too much money to be a 5th starter, but like I said, if the Phills can afford him, who cares. He's probably the best 5th starter in the league. Having another Kyle Kendrick (assuming the return would be somewhere around that level) would not benefit this team now or in three years.

Old
01-20-2011, 08:48 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I just got a headache skimming through a discussion on facebook about the new Sony big screen at CBP. Tons of people are commenting on how that 10 million should have been spent on Werth, a better #5 starter or keeping ticket prices lower. Man, people are freakin retarded on FB.
I imagine some of that 10 million might be diffused in increased ad prices they can charge for bigger real estate , but seriously, I'd have loved to spend some of that on another bullpen piece and buy a Visio instead.
Quote:
That's poor asset management though. Getting a guy who maybe will be as good as Joe Blanton a few years from now is not as valuable as Joe Blanton now. Sure he is making WAY too much money to be a 5th starter, but like I said, if the Phills can afford him, who cares. He's probably the best 5th starter in the league. Having another Kyle Kendrick (assuming the return would be somewhere around that level) would not benefit this team now or in three years.
The problem isn't necessarily whether not we can afford Joe Blanton or whether what we'd get in return has the same value, but that the money could be better spent on upgrades at the deadline. If we don't have that payroll flexibility, we might be stuck with a bad bullpen situation, who knows. But if we do have that flexibility and can go after a rental piece, then trading Blanton away is worth it.

Old
01-20-2011, 09:17 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
The problem isn't necessarily whether not we can afford Joe Blanton or whether what we'd get in return has the same value, but that the money could be better spent on upgrades at the deadline. If we don't have that payroll flexibility, we might be stuck with a bad bullpen situation, who knows. But if we do have that flexibility and can go after a rental piece, then trading Blanton away is worth it.
When they're already spending $160 million on the payroll, I have a hard time believing they're going to split hairs over adding another $1 million at the deadline in the form of a bullpen piece.

Old
01-20-2011, 09:28 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
When they're already spending $160 million on the payroll, I have a hard time believing they're going to split hairs over adding another $1 million at the deadline in the form of a bullpen piece.
They don't have the prospects to spare anymore to obtain a reasonably-priced player. We're going to have to pick up an overpaid guy who has a year still left on the contract more likely in order to give up less in terms of assets the other way. Which means we need actually payroll room.

Old
01-20-2011, 09:30 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
They don't have the prospects to spare anymore to obtain a reasonably-priced player. We're going to have to pick up an overpaid guy who has a year still left on the contract more likely in order to give up less in terms of assets the other way. Which means we need actually payroll room.
The time to worry about 2012's budget is 2012, not now or the 2011 deadline.

Old
01-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Jester

Quote:
Actually, their system is still relatively highly rated based on what I've read. It's all low ball guys, so no one that is going to show up immediately... but they have talent down there.

Old
01-20-2011, 10:28 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Thing is, people have been saying this for a while. On January 20, 2010 if I told you the Phillies are going to trade for Roy Oswalt, you'd wonder if what kind of drugs I was smoking.

Old
01-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Thing is, people have been saying this for a while. On January 20, 2010 if I told you the Phillies are going to trade for Roy Oswalt, you'd wonder if what kind of drugs I was smoking.
To be fair, no one has ever wondered that.

Old
01-20-2011, 02:16 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Actually, their system is still relatively highly rated based on what I've read. It's all low ball guys, so no one that is going to show up immediately... but they have talent down there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
While true, if the two options are:

1) Give up that young talent now (which may or may not be worth as much as it could be in a few years) for a player with a reasonable contract.

2) Trade Joe Blanton to free up payroll to use on a deadline deal for an oversized contract of a decent player, giving up fewer/lesser prospects.

Then obviously Blanton is expendable. A fifth starter isn't that important, especially since there are corpses who could fill the role for this team.

Old
01-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Jester

Quote:
While true, if the two options are:

1) Give up that young talent now (which may or may not be worth as much as it could be in a few years) for a player with a reasonable contract.

2) Trade Joe Blanton to free up payroll to use on a deadline deal for an oversized contract of a decent player, giving up fewer/lesser prospects.

Then obviously Blanton is expendable. A fifth starter isn't that important, especially since there are corpses who could fill the role for this team.
Whatever they do, I hope they have it in their minds that they may have to make a deal during the season to get a bit more pop in the OF.

Old
01-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Phileeguy
RIP Pat

Phils are upgrading their video board.

Link.

Quote:
The team announced a $10 million upgrade that includes their video board in left-centerfield at Citizens Bank Park. The new HD screen will be 76 feet high and 97 feet wide, totaling 7,372 square feet of digital space. ...the original board, which has been in place since the park opened in 2004, was 2,759 square feet.
I guess that's nice, but I'm not one to be looking at the board more often than the field. They're sending their old board to Clearwater.

Old
01-20-2011, 04:04 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
Phils are upgrading their video board.

Link.

I guess that's nice, but I'm not one to be looking at the board more often than the field. They're sending their old board to Clearwater.
See last page.

Honestly though, the non-HD did annoy me considering the park is only about 7 years old. So I'm appeased.

Old
01-20-2011, 05:10 PM
Phileeguy
RIP Pat

Quote:
See last page.

Honestly though, the non-HD did annoy me considering the park is only about 7 years old. So I'm appeased.
Gah, I usually like to check to see if anyone beat me to a topic, must've missed it. Oh well. Yeah I was wondering why CBP didn't have an HD board to begin with. I don't think they specifically needed one that big though.

I do prefer the older style out-of-town scoreboard on the right field wall though. A digital one there I would consider an eyesore.

Old
01-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Gah, I usually like to check to see if anyone beat me to a topic, must've missed it. Oh well. Yeah I was wondering why CBP didn't have an HD board to begin with. I don't think they specifically needed one that big though.

I do prefer the older style out-of-town scoreboard on the right field wall though. A digital one there I would consider an eyesore.
Well...I'm kinda confused...it's already electronic. What do you mean by digital? It's not like the one in Fenway, and that's where my head's gone.

Old
01-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Phileeguy
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Well...I'm kinda confused...it's already electronic. What do you mean by digital? It's not like the one in Fenway, and that's where my head's gone.
I think I just had a brain fart there. I think I meant digital as opposed to analogue as I typed it.

I was trying to say I prefer this:

as opposed to this:

I'll stop posting here until I can stop sounding like an idiot.

Old
01-21-2011, 01:23 AM
Justified
Amaro out

Not to long until aces and catchers reports.

Old
01-21-2011, 01:13 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
I think I just had a brain fart there. I think I meant digital as opposed to analogue as I typed it.

as opposed to this:

Hahaha...I get it now. I knew something went over my head.

Old
01-21-2011, 03:25 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:

as opposed to this:

I don't know, I can barely make out team names on the old school board. Anything that makes seeing info easier, I'm all for.

Old
01-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
I don't know, I can barely make out team names on the old school board. Anything that makes seeing info easier, I'm all for.
My enjoyable gift of near and farsightedness requires me to have glasses on at pretty much any sporting event. With them on, I enjoy the board out in RF.

Old
01-21-2011, 05:57 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
My enjoyable gift of near and farsightedness requires me to have glasses on at pretty much any sporting event. With them on, I enjoy the board out in RF.
I like it for the ambiance. If I care about another game I'll just take my phone out.

Old
01-21-2011, 07:40 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
I'd trade Blanton for prospects. We have SERIOUS issues with the age of our lineup, we are going to need a few guys who can step in a few years from now. Plus, saving some money on pitching could help us make a deadline deal trade for an outfielder.

Let Kendrick pitch in the 5th spot. He will be making $2.45 mill this season, perfect for the 5th spot. Hell, Kendrick has a better ERA then Blanton last year and seems to really have gotten close with Halladay. Kendrick has potential to get better, where as Joe has peaked.

Old
01-21-2011, 08:19 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I still think Blanton and Kendrick should be traded out and have Worley as our 5th. I do like what I've seen from Worley a lot.

Old
01-21-2011, 09:26 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I still think Blanton and Kendrick should be traded out and have Worley as our 5th. I do like what I've seen from Worley a lot.
So then, what happens when (and I do mean when, not if) one of the big 4 gets hurt? We replace them with some random AAA filler bum til they are back?

Pitching depth is always good. It isn't as if Worley has lit the world on fire and is a can't miss prospect... let him pitch in the bullpen and develop a bit and give him a true shot next spring training.

Closed Thread