HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: Game #48 vs. Toronto Maple Leafs

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: Game #48 vs. Toronto Maple Leafs
Artem Anisimov 5 2.96%
Sean Avery 5 2.96%
Brian Boyle 0 0%
Ruslan Fedotenko 0 0%
Marian Gaborik 155 91.72%
Henrik Lundqvist 2 1.18%
Ryan McDonagh 1 0.59%
Michael Sauer 1 0.59%
Marc Staal 0 0%
Mats Zuccarello 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-20-2011, 10:48 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yeah, Drury looks done. I think it's been all the injuries lately, as well as the aging process, but he's just not the same player. Weise doesn't really do a whole lot, looks pretty generic.

Another "bad" is that it was the Leafs and their defense, especially in the first period, was about as bad as any I've seen in the NHL. One reason Gaborik has struggled lately is that teams have constantly been in his face, sometimes with two players, and he hasn't gotten good looks at the net. Another is that most teams clog the passing and shooting lanes really well and make it hard to successfully get guys open in front of the net or get the puck through.

Toronto basically left Gaborik alone all night, didn't cover anyone in front of the net, didn't close off passing and shooting lanes, and just played horrible. It's fun to see the Rangers take advantage of that, but it's not going to be that easy against Carolina. Rangers and Gaborik need to show they can score goals against an actual NHL defense.

Oh and as for Pierre, he always sounds slightly intoxicated or mopey or something. He had this low, monotone voice all of last night. Maybe because the Leafs were busy getting killed
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, wasn't he awful to start last year? Didn't he go something like 12 games or so to get his first goal? I'm pretty sure that's when the decline became noticeable. Now add in the concussion from the Glencross hit, which added to the decline. And, right now, he looks awful with the puck. Three delay-of-game penalties in the past month or so? Most D-men don't have that many in a year. Couple that with his in ability to hit the net, and, either the finger is still bothering him, or he's just losing his hand-eye coordination.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Pizza

....so now that we've all come back down to earth the building consensus seems to be that the reason the Rangers won had more to do w/the Leafs sucking.....

Also Chris Drury seems destined to replace Rozy in the whipping boy corner. Is there even the slightest possibility that we're being a bit harsh with this guy? Just wondering.

Just my observations over coffee this morning.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
....so now that we've all come back down to earth the building consensus seems to be that the reason the Rangers won had more to do w/the Leafs sucking.....

Also Chris Drury seems destined to replace Rozy in the whipping boy corner. Is there even the slightest possibility that we're being a bit harsh with this guy? Just wondering.

Nope. He's truly, truly terrible.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Levitate

He still looks fine on defense to me and some of the crap about delay of game penalties is overlooking the ridiculous call against Philly

His offense is terrible to be sure but he's not useless.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:05 AM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
Nope. He's truly, truly terrible.
i'm not a drury apologist or anything however.....

that guy logged huge minutes last night. and in the next few games before our injured guys come back he's gonna continue to log huge minutes. He's one of the few players (perhaps Boyler, prusticles and Arty being the others) that can play in all situations. With Feds and Dubi down, Dru is going to have to step up big time.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:06 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:

I'm not so sure that we are. For quite a while I argued about his leadership and intangibles...and gave him the benefit of the doubt because it really wasn't his fault he was overpaid from the start. But he doesn't seem to be shaking off the rust. At this point I'm not so sure it really is rust.

So let me ask you this...if you were signing Chris Drury today, what would you offer him as fair market salary?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:11 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:

Was just going to mention this. I fail to see how Drury can be the "Redden" of a game in which we won 7-0. It's not like he singlehandedly lost us the game. Yes, it has been painful to watch his decline, but what me bothers me the most are the so-called fans that seem to be enjoying his struggles. They would prefer for Drury not to play well otherwise they wouldn't be able to partake in their hobby of complaining about him endlessly.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
So let me ask you this...if you were signing Chris Drury today, what would you offer him as fair market salary?
we all know the answer to this. but it's not the point. we're in the here and now - we need Drury for PK and to log a lot of minutes checking against other team's top lines. it doesnt matter how much he gets paid - he helps us as of right at this minute.

contract stuff can be for the offseason

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
i'm not a drury apologist or anything however.....

that guy logged huge minutes last night. and in the next few games before our injured guys come back he's gonna continue to log huge minutes. He's one of the few players (perhaps Boyler, prusticles and Arty being the others) that can play in all situations. With Feds and Dubi down, Dru is going to have to step up big time.
Yeah, against a horrid Leafs team. You know who played the fewest minutes on defense? Staal & Girardi.

Old
01-20-2011, 11:31 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
we all know the answer to this. but it's not the point. we're in the here and now - we need Drury for PK and to log a lot of minutes checking against other team's top lines. it doesnt matter how much he gets paid - he helps us as of right at this minute.

contract stuff can be for the offseason
But the question was are we possibly being a bit harsh on the guy? He's being paid over 7M. I know we didn't HAVE to pay him that...and as such I understand that he might not have ever been able to perform to that. But that said, he's not a 5M guy being paid 7M...where we can say well you have to overpay to get a UFA...or well he brings leadership and/or intangibles. He's not even a 4M guy being paid 7M. You could argue he's not even a 3M guy being paid 7M. Heck, you could argue he's a 2M guy being paid 7M. And if you are one of those who would say his market value is at most that much how can anyone say you are being harsh on a guy who isn't even performing up to 1/3 of his expectations? It is a huge handicap on a team when you are tying up such a large percentage of your cap space on a guy who is providing essentially the same production as your average 4th liner.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:34 AM
MSG the place to be*

Drury had his best game of the season because he probably had as many scoring chances in this game as he had all season long.

However he's still a trainwreck. All his "good" moments last night were basically knock puck down --> shoot puck. He'll never carry the puck through the neutral zone, never distribute the puck, never hold onto the puck in the offensive zone and make a play. And as many have pointed out the worst part of watching him play is how his whole mentality is to just chip it off the boards and back up or chip it and skate to the bench. Sean Avery has been criticized for his lack of offense yet Avery gives himself an opportunity to produce offense by skating with the puck, holding on to the puck until an opening presents itself, and if he has to chip the puck he is able to go after it.

Bottom line. Drury can not be salvaged. Mentally and Physically washed up.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Drury had his best game of the season because he probably had as many scoring chances in this game as he had all season long.

However he's still a trainwreck. All his "good" moments last night were basically knock puck down --> shoot puck. He'll never carry the puck through the neutral zone, never distribute the puck, never hold onto the puck in the offensive zone and make a play. And as many have pointed out the worst part of watching him play is how his whole mentality is to just chip it off the boards and back up or chip it and skate to the bench. Sean Avery has been criticized for his lack of offense yet Avery gives himself an opportunity to produce offense by skating with the puck, holding on to the puck until an opening presents itself, and if he has to chip the puck he is able to go after it.

Bottom line. Drury can not be salvaged. Mentally and Physically washed up.
Unfortunately, this seems to be the case. I really thought that given a lot more minutes and being put in offensive situations would rekindle the Drury of old - but that doesn't seem to be happening. I wouldn't go as far as calling him "the new whipping boy" or anything, but who knows? Here's hoping he regains even a fraction of his offense.

Mint Berry Crunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 12:00 PM
rangersfan111

Madison Square Garden

RANT:
best arena in the entire world and the rangers have the best fan base in all of hockey...
i live in toronto but i am the biggest ranger fan and i hate the leafs more than you guys hate the islanders and devils...
i thought the usa chant a couple of games ago against the canucks was one of the greatest chants i heard in a while... i started chanting usa in the bar with my brother and people were just miserable...
tonight was an even better chant ... sloppy seconds ... i could not believe my ears when i heard that... i love new york ... there is no other team like the new york rangers

lgr

rangersfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 12:13 PM
McIlrathsWrath

I couldn't figure out what they were chanting at first lol. That might be the best chant of all time

McIlrathsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 12:16 PM
NYRKindms

we got a pretty good chuckle out of that last night as well

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 12:17 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Thanks. I like NY too.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Patriks7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom122205 View Post
I couldn't figure out what they were chanting at first lol. That might be the best chant of all time
For those who missed the full game, what was the chant?

Patriks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 12:36 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriks7 View Post
For those who missed the full game, what was the chant?
"Slop-py Sec-onds"
"Slop-py Sec-onds"

01-20-2011, 01:50 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

The Good: When Dubinsky went down, the Rangers showed up.
The Bad: More injuries...ugh!
The Ugly: 7 Goals, nearly ever forward is on the scoring sheet except Cap'n Clutch, he fails to provide anything useful with his 20:33 TOI yet again. Except that he chooses to use his wonderful baseball skills to bat the puck out of the Rangers zone while penalty killing to continue to put the Rangers down short handed...Great Play You Wonderful PKer Cap'N Clutch!!! I'm glad you've got those intangibles still. You belong in CT where you were born.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 04:29 PM
KRM

Just watched the replay of the game, man do I miss staying up all night watching Rangers' games, especially now that the team is playing such a good hockey.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Other - Chris Drury.

Without his leadership Gaborik would have never had the game he did.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
"Slop-py Sec-onds"
"Slop-py Sec-onds"
I wonder if any of the MSG cameras caught Avery's reaction to that one.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 06:16 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Something else I noticed last night, for both of the reviews. The sections directly in front of Sam and Joe's booth were chanting something, and Joe gave a thumbs up for the Rangers goal and waved his hands for the no goal. This was a good few minutes before the ref actually made a signal.

I thought that was kinda cool, considering the Garden doesn't get replays on the video board. Anyone else see that?

NyRangers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Everything is finally in. Silly bloggers take too long. On to the Canes!

Old
01-20-2011, 07:33 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Something else I noticed last night, for both of the reviews. The sections directly in front of Sam and Joe's booth were chanting something, and Joe gave a thumbs up for the Rangers goal and waved his hands for the no goal. This was a good few minutes before the ref actually made a signal.

I thought that was kinda cool, considering the Garden doesn't get replays on the video board. Anyone else see that?
Sections around the booth have always done that over the years. Minute there is a review they look up at the booth

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote