HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bos - Car

Old
01-20-2011, 01:03 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Bos - Car

We were batting this around on the Canes board, thought I'd put it up for comment.

To Bos
D Joni Pitkanen $4.0m UFA

To Car
D Mark Stuart $1.675m UFA
LW Blake Wheeler $2.2m RFA

Boston
Positive - Pitkanen is the PMD the Bruins have been looking for. Putting him with Chara on the PP would just be ridiculous. I'm pretty sure this deal would keep them just barely under the cap, which is difficult to pull off while making a major acquisition.
Negative - Forces you to activate Paille both for the LW slot and the PK. That means a P-Bruin has to sit as a healthy scratch. You're pretty much cutting ties with Wheeler and Stuart, who are supporting elements of the young core.

Carolina
Positive - Solid return for a rental. Stuart would make a nice defensive balance with Gleason and Harrison opposite the offense-minded guys, and would be a good PK addition. Wheeler might actually do very well in Carolina, playing in the top-6 and probably getting 3-4 more minutes a night.
Negative - We're losing the best player in the deal, which is normal for a rental. Stuart is a UFA at season's end, so we might lose him too. Wheeler is something of a risk as he has yet to find his upside.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Where do I sign?

Love the deal- works cap wise, helps the B's out, gives Carolina a good RFA and potentially a cheap steady stay at home d man if they want to resign him. Boston gets hit slightly giving up Wheeler for Pitkanen when all signs point to him returning to Carolina afterwards (from what we hear)- but I'd do it and then pray for a miracle of a resigning in Boston.

Dwatson783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 01:09 PM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
Where do I sign?

He's honestly exactly the type of D-Man the B's need. I just don't picture the Canes trading him though.

Edit:

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 01:13 PM
BruinsPortugal

Done.

BruinsPortugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Baddkarma
El Guapo to most...

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Bruins won't give up Wheeler for a rental. Especially a guy who will get 4.5-5.5 per and will want to test the market.

Change Wheeler to Hamil and its all good.

01-20-2011, 01:22 PM
KrugLife
Registered Champion

I'd do it. I think BOS would have to a a pick, maybe a 3rd rounder to get CAR to go for it, but it's fair value.

KrugLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 01:25 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddkarma View Post
Hamill's not fooling anybody at this point. Also, that would put Boston way over the cap.

I'm glad to hear this is generally ok from the Boston side.

Old
01-20-2011, 01:41 PM
weaponomega

I think I would do this deal. Tough to give up on wheeler, but Pitkanen brings skills that the Bruins current defense corps lack.

weaponomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
We were batting this around on the Canes board, thought I'd put it up for comment.

To Bos

To Car

Boston
Positive - Pitkanen is the PMD the Bruins have been looking for. Putting him with Chara on the PP would just be ridiculous. I'm pretty sure this deal would keep them just barely under the cap, which is difficult to pull off while making a major acquisition.
Negative - Forces you to activate Paille both for the LW slot and the PK. That means a P-Bruin has to sit as a healthy scratch. You're pretty much cutting ties with Wheeler and Stuart, who are supporting elements of the young core.

Carolina
Positive - Solid return for a rental. Stuart would make a nice defensive balance with Gleason and Harrison opposite the offense-minded guys, and would be a good PK addition. Wheeler might actually do very well in Carolina, playing in the top-6 and probably getting 3-4 more minutes a night.
Negative - We're losing the best player in the deal, which is normal for a rental. Stuart is a UFA at season's end, so we might lose him too. Wheeler is something of a risk as he has yet to find his upside.
Where do we sign?

I bet your friends wont like it one bit though.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 01:43 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddkarma View Post
Bruins won't give up Wheeler for a rental. Especially a guy who will get 4.5-5.5 per and will want to test the market.

So a potential bust prospect and a third pairing D man for a top pairing D man?

Not gonna happen my man.

Old
01-20-2011, 01:43 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

I think both teams would love this deal. Carolina gets a right handed winger to play with Staal, and Stuart would fit their bottom pairing which isn't too strong right now. Boston gets a much needed puck moving defenseman which gives them a better chance of winning the Cup.

I like it, good value. Maybe Boston adds a low pick but what good would that be really?

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 01:49 PM
8BostonRocker24

I think the value is fine but I wouldn't make the trade. I am not a Joni Pitkanen fan.

He has ALL the tools, but he's not a smart player. I saw way too much of him in Edmonton, and I have been told over and over again he's playing better in Carolina. I just don't see it. I find that he's out of position way too much. Being out of position is my biggest problem with defensemen. You can't hang your goalie and partner out to dry.

This is also my problem with Steve Kampfer. I'm hoping Kampfer learns and improves but he makes too many mistakes and turn overs for my liking. (Hell of a shot though.)

8BostonRocker24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Where do we sign?

Actually, for the most part, we are all in agreement on the Carolina side that this would be a good trade.

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Skinner View Post
Actually, for the most part, we are all in agreement on the Carolina side that this would be a good trade.
Really? Sounds good to me then.

Lets get Chia and your GM to sign some papers!

Old
01-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Ten Thousand Hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Where do we sign?

I'm not trying to speak for Carolina fans, but if they do want to trade Pitkanen, they probably won't get a much better offer than this for a rental player. I can't see them being too displeased with the offer - unless of course they don't want to trade him at all, which has its risks.

Ten Thousand Hours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
I think the value is fine but I wouldn't make the trade. I am not a Joni Pitkanen fan.

He has ALL the tools, but he's not a smart player. I saw way too much of him in Edmonton, and I have been told over and over again he's playing better in Carolina. I just don't see it. I find that he's out of position way too much. Being out of position is my biggest problem with defensemen. You can't hang your goalie and partner out to dry.
This is also my problem with Steve Kampfer. I'm hoping Kampfer learns and improves but he makes too many mistakes and turn overs for my liking. (Hell of a shot though.)
It seems that most of the reason he does this is because he is really good at pinching, jumping in on the play, hell even carrying the puck around form the left point, down below the goal line, and back to the left point. He is just that good at that aspect of the game. Yeha, it means he is out of position if it doesnt work.....but he is FAST, getting back most of the time to play defense on the ensuing rush back the other way

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 01:54 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:

And yet the Bruins have been one of the league's best teams since Kampfer's recall from Providence. It is in no way a coincidence. In the new NHL defensive positioning is vastly overrated, and the ability to retrieve, skate, and pass the puck out of trouble is highly underrated.

It's really easy for people to see when an offensive defenseman makes a bad pass, pinch, or turnover. But what leads to just as many goals in my mind, is when a defensive defensemen gets hemmed in his own zone, and can't get the puck out for minutes at a time, regardless of how well they're positioning themselves.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Ten Thousand Hours

Quote:

1. Kampfer rarely turns the puck over. He has 5 giveaways on the year.

2. While it's not good to leave your defensive partner out to try, it's a lot less bad if you're partner is Chara or Seidenberg (and one of those 2 guys would be Pitkanen's partner).

3. My thoughts on the trade - not a no-brainer yes like some people seem to be implying, but I'd do it.

Ten Thousand Hours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 02:00 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
And yet the Bruins have been one of the league's best teams since Kampfer's recall from Providence. It is in no way a coincidence. In the new NHL defensive positioning is vastly overrated, and the ability to retrieve, skate, and pass the puck out of trouble is highly underrated.

It's really easy for people to see when an offensive defenseman makes a bad pass, pinch, or turnover. But what leads to just as many goals in my mind, is when a defensive defensemen gets hemmed in his own zone, and can't get the puck out for minutes at a time, regardless of how well they're positioning themselves.
Getting rid of Hunwick, adding Kampfer and having McQuaid play regular have all helped.

No doubt Kampfer has helped this team and maybe it's just the Montreal game that is really pissing me off (his turn over lead directly to the 2nd goal) but I am not as sold on him as the rest of the fanbase. Hunwick was the answer 2 seasons ago, and The Bruins Board was blaming the 2nd round exit to Carolina on Hunwick going down in the 1st round. 2 years later we celebrated as he was run out of town.

8BostonRocker24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 02:31 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Skinner View Post
Really? I was going to say that you're getting robbed.

I was thinking Boston's 1st and Michael Ryder (for cap purposes) but if all you want is Wheeler, sign me up.

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 02:39 PM
MaritimeHockeyNut
BRUINSrCHAMPS nextyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post

To Bos

To Car
Done. Fair and even and simple. Not something you see too offen on the ol HFboard. lol

MaritimeHockeyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 02:45 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
Really? I was going to say that you're getting robbed.

I was thinking Boston's 1st and Michael Ryder (for cap purposes) but if all you want is Wheeler, sign me up.
Ryder/Wheeler is kind of a wash, but being in a rebuilding stage I think we'd favor the younger player with some upside. And losing Joni, our defense pairings are going to be laughable so Stuart is a band-aid with the possibility of re-signing if he likes the place.

Old
01-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

I like it. I think Boston would actually have to add a 2nd to solidify it. That's typical trade board throw in I know, but I think the actual value of a 2nd would help balance out the deal.

Reasoning being I think there'll be more then a few teams interested in his services.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

This just seems weird....both teams have agreed on the trade right off that bat and it seems have talked about the same exact deal on their own boards prior to it coming here......

Is the world about to end or something?

Dwatson783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Eennad142

For two potential months of J. Pitkanen, offering a return of Stuart and Hamill/Paille. I like that one. Sign me up, too.

Eennad142 is offline   Reply With Quote