HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nabokov to Detroit (570K), Nabby on waivers, claimed by the Islanders

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Otto91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
whoever is the worst team in the league, Isles? should take him then trade him at the deadline

It's a no brainder and will happen if not by the Isles then someone else. he won't make it to a contender but will get traded to one in a month or so anyways
I agree This makes total sense for Isles or another lower bowl team

Old
01-20-2011, 12:16 PM
gongshowmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
35+ contracts have to be multi-year contracts to have any performance bonuses. I don't think Detroit is willing to take that risk.
Why wouldn't they sign him for 2 years? All Wings goalies are UFA's July 1st

Old
01-20-2011, 12:17 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
35+ contracts have to be multi-year contracts to have any performance bonuses. I don't think Detroit is willing to take that risk.
Incorrect. See Doug Weight.

Old
01-20-2011, 12:17 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
It's the other way around. Multi-year deals can't have performance bonuses, only one-year deals.

Old
01-20-2011, 12:18 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Wings need a back up next year. You put a 2nd year on that contract, and things get scary for teams not willing to make a commitment.

You give him the same salary Osgood had, and Detroit is in no worse position.

Nabakov's only card here is, if he doesn't like the team who claims him, and he has a 2nd year deal. He threatens to retire. Thus putting the team on the hook for both years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
He wouldn't be a 35+ player. The CBA goes by the player's age as of the June 30th immediately preceding the season that the contract is for. Nabokov was 34 on June 30th, 2010.
Does this a apply to players who don't have a contract? I wonder if this applies given he didn't have a contract at that date. He now is over 35.

Would love to see what happens.

Old
01-20-2011, 12:21 PM
ArGarBarGar
Doc Messier

Won't clear waivers, but hey, it's something.

Old
01-20-2011, 12:22 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Won't clear waivers, but hey, it's something.
Still wondering where this came from. Detroit isn't hurting for back-up goaltenders..

Old
01-20-2011, 12:24 PM
X8oD

lol, discussions of a NMC/NTC and a 2 year deal apparently.

So you take him, you are stuck with him for 2 years.

Old
Remember2004

So how do waivers work? If someone is put on re-entry waivers or waivers in general whos gets to claim him first? Is it whoever makes the first call kind of thing?

Old
Gilligans Island
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG26 View Post
That has to be exactly it. Maybe like 2 million/year for 2 years?
But what's the incentive for Nabby to sign a 2-year deal @ $2m per? Why not just sign a 1-yr deal and wait for UFA period next offseason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictionzero View Post
Even if they max out the salary they could pay him with the LTIR space given to them (which is 3.5M~) I do not see how he clears waivers.

There are both to many teams that are contending in both conferences that could use goal tending help and have room or are trying to tooth and claw their way to salary floor. Much less of the later, but giving themselves a 500K-800K cushion they could pay him 2.7M-3M maxed out from their current salary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
Actually, with the LTIR-possibilities, the Wings can sign him for like 6-7 millions if they want, thus scaring off virtually all teams that might be interested to have him. (Flyers, Caps, Sharks, Hawks that have been mentioned here, for instance).

Maybe the Avs, though? Tons of capspace, and mess with the Wings? Not that Andy didn't play lights out last years playoffs, though.
But then what do the Wings do with the players on LTIR? They'd have to clear space at some point, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD View Post
Wings need a back up next year. You put a 2nd year on that contract, and things get scary for teams not willing to make a commitment.

You give him the same salary Osgood had, and Detroit is in no worse position.

Nabakov's only card here is, if he doesn't like the team who claims him, and he has a 2nd year deal. He threatens to retire. Thus putting the team on the hook for both years.

Does this a apply to players who don't have a contract? I wonder if this applies given he didn't have a contract at that date. He now is over 35.

Would love to see what happens.
Same as above - what's the incentive for Nabby to sign a 2-yr deal at a low cap hit?

Old
01-20-2011, 12:25 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember2004 View Post
So how do waivers work? If someone is put on re-entry waivers or waivers in general whos gets to claim him first? Is it whoever makes the first call kind of thing?
Priority is based on the standings at the time of the waiver claim

Old
01-20-2011, 12:25 PM
ArGarBarGar
Doc Messier

Quote:
Still wondering where this came from. Detroit isn't hurting for back-up goaltenders..
My assumption is Osgood is out for the season and they want someone who can pressure Howard and pick up the slack if Howard falls off the map.

MacDonald has been admirable, but isn't someone I want to share consistent time with Howard.

Old
01-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Habitants

Quote:
lol, discussions of a NMC/NTC and a 2 year deal apparently.

So you take him, you are stuck with him for 2 years.
perfect move by Holland to insure that he clears waivers

Old
01-20-2011, 12:26 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Same as above - what's the incentive for Nabby to sign a 2-yr deal at a low cap hit?
Gets to a team he wants to be on, guarantees him an NHL Roster spot for 2 years. Guarantees him a paycheck for 2 years.

Im not saying Detroit is the team he wants to be on. But the threat of retiring and sticking a team with cap space for 2 years will scare away teams.

he got like what 4 mil from the KHL, didn't like it there, got bought out/released and is trying to get back into the NHL. Me thinks money isn't a big deal right now.

Old
01-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Remember2004

Quote:
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=350270

Old
01-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Cleary=Jerry Gergich

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
Actually, with the LTIR-possibilities, the Wings can sign him for like 6-7 millions if they want, thus scaring off virtually all teams that might be interested to have him. (Flyers, Caps, Sharks, Hawks that have been mentioned here, for instance).
Datsyuk, Cleary, Osgood and Stuart are all on LTIR, w/o counting Osgood, the former 2 will be back after the break. So thats 3 players they have to activate, Tatar and Mursak get sent down to make room.

They would have to move Hudler in order to give him 6~ mill and I still don't think they would be under the cap

Old
01-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Vujtek

Quote:
But what's the incentive for Nabby to sign a 2-year deal @ $2m per? Why not just sign a 1-yr deal and wait for UFA period next offseason?
To get a chance to play on one of the best teams in the league and have a chance to win Stanley Cup during the next two years. He also saw what the UFA market for him was last summer so he knows what to expect next summer when his value is even lower (not playing in a year and with teams like Chicago and Philadelphia having found themselves a new young goalies etc).

Old
01-20-2011, 12:28 PM
boots electric

Quote:
He left a multimillion dollar deal in Russia to return to the NHL. My guess is he's after hardware here, not cash.

Old
01-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Habitants

nabby needs incentive to sign a 2 yr deal with the one of the best teams inthe league?

he has a chance to win a cup, which he does not have yet! that is his incentive, and he gets back in NA and the NHL!

nobody will sign him to big time money as ufa...

Old
01-20-2011, 12:29 PM
gongshowmonkey

Quote:

But then what do the Wings do with the players on LTIR? They'd have to clear space at some point, right?

yeah the UFA thing last year sure worked out for him nicely

Old
01-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
perfect move by Holland to insure that he clears waivers
smart move, yes...

but I won't be shocked if he gets claimed by some one...

Perhaps... St. Louis

Old
01-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I thought bonuses were being removed next year? Or am I dreaming?
The year that the CBA ends, NHL doesn't allow bonuses to be deferred. So they'd be okay for this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
Ken Holland is too intelligent to risk him getting caught on waivers. Maybe a mulit-year deal?
I thought about that as well. The poison pill approach. They should be in the market for a goalie seeing Ozzie is on his last legs and there's no other back-up option in the system right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
He wouldn't be a 35+ player. The CBA goes by the player's age as of the June 30th immediately preceding the season that the contract is for. Nabokov was 34 on June 30th, 2010.

Hmmm. Close, but I'm still willing to bet there's a way around that due to him being a UFA in another league right now. You may be right technically, but we never did figure out why Holland liked a playoff bonus vs a regular season bonus back when he was considering Hasek and Belfour-- both over 35 at the time.

Old
01-20-2011, 12:32 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguins Dragon View Post
smart move, yes...

Perhaps... St. Louis

Old
01-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguins Dragon View Post
smart move, yes...

Perhaps... St. Louis
St. louis will do it just to piss everyone off. I hope...

Old
01-20-2011, 12:33 PM
sg58

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
Datsyuk, Cleary, Osgood and Stuart are all on LTIR, w/o counting Osgood, the former 2 will be back after the break. So thats 3 players they have to activate, Tatar and Mursak get sent down to make room.

They would have to move Hudler in order to give him 6~ mill and I still don't think they would be under the cap
Well, if Osgood is out until the end of regular season and the other guys is out a couple of weeks more, they'll have plenty of room for a multi-million deal. You clear out Tatar, Mursak, MacDonald as well as the banked space from LTIR, and there is quite a bit there. Enough to keep the Flyers away, which has to be a priority since they're both good candidates for the Cup.

Closed Thread