HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Power Rankings, Disappointment: Keith Ballard

Old
01-19-2011, 03:01 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganja View Post
Is there really anything wrong with that method?
Other than the fact its probably not 100% accurate if you do it that way.

01-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Bleach Clean

This team has a significant edge on D. Few teams can boast a quality Dman on the 3rd pairing. And for those teams, minute distribution follows suit. Meaning, the top4 get the bulk of the minutes, while the 3rd pairing gets sheltered. Here, that scheme does not make sense.

AV should move the best dman around the pairings during games. This way, you might get a minute distribution that better utilizes the top5 dmen you have, leaving the 6th the scraps, instead of always relying solely on the top4 and devaluing your bottom pairing. It's a process that has it's ups and downs. Still, the coaching staff has only tried this tactic on 2 occasions from my recollection, and that is a disservice to the roster that has been constructed.

When you are constantly matched with the 3rd/4th lines, and get no PP time, you are not likely to put up points. It just stands to reason. But you can still show what you got. That's the major thing I think Ballard can improve upon: Be more selfish. If AV insists on playing favourites (and people need to recognize that he is -- or go back and watch the first 20 games of the season when Bieksa was force-fed minutes he had no business getting(or Hamhuis on the PP for that matter)) go out there and take command of the situation. No matter what 4 other players you are playing with, lead them, and make something happen. IMO Ballard is playing too conservative a style to show what he has really got. Part of that comes from the early injuries, part comes from the early benchings (scratch), and finally from getting acclimatized to a new environment. I have a feeling he will turn it around soon.

Can't wait for Ballard to realize that his job is secure for the time being (which it is), and he can really take the reigns if he wants to.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:01 PM
wholesickcrew

The biggest question mark for me in terms of minute distribution comes on the PK. A number of people have mentioned that Ballard should get more PP time (I don't necessarily disagree), but what about PK? The Edler-Ehrhoff pairing has been one of our best, but this pairing was originally formed for the PP, and Ehrhoff remains best suited to an offensive role. So why not take Ehrhoff off the PK and replace him with Ballard? You then keep Ehrhoff fresh for the PP (and for the Sedins) while bumping up Ballard's minutes.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 01:11 PM
wavaxa2

This is a fantasy site we're talking about here. From a fantasy/hockey pool perspective, Ballard is a disappointment, with only 4 points this season. From a purely hockey perspective, he's done OK, given the role he plays (3rd pairing, very little PP time).

wavaxa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:20 PM
rye&ginger

The 4th line is the disapointment. Feels good saying that, doesnt it?

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:36 PM
The Optimist

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
The 4th line is the disapointment. Feels good saying that, doesnt it?
I don't think they are a disappointment, they have played as well (or more accurately poorly) as expected.

The Optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Nedved1*

Kesler is ranked as the 6th best player OVERALL in the NHL.

http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/feature/?ID=10467

3rd best center. Noticably ahead of Henrik.

Better yet.....................................

Daniel Sedin is the 4rd best player behind Crosby Thomas and Stamkos.

Well done Canucks !!!!!

Nedved1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 05:53 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Wow, people are still projecting their desperate wish for Ballard to be a 'top defender'?

Let it go.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 07:02 PM
TacitEndorsement

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Other than the fact its probably not 100% accurate if you do it that way.
Can it be 100% accurate any way? The point I'm making is it's purely subjective.

TacitEndorsement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 07:05 PM
Proto

Yeah, Ballard can't fight. He'll never be a top defender.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Topp Spin
STIHL 286

I know a couple guys have said that Torres was the biggest disappointment, but I disagree with that.

Torres throughout his career has been as streaky as they come. He has the ability, everyone knows that, but he's proven time and time again that he can pull a disappearing act. For a million dollars a year, he's on pace for around 18 goals I believe, and that's good enough.

Topp Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 09:46 PM
AmazingNuck

I can forgive Ballard because he has played the left side his entire career and a sudden change at his age, especially with the experience of the left side drilled in, makes it harder for him to adapt but he shows flashes of brilliance. However, he also makes terrible mistakes. When Salo comes back, our defensive pairings will be balanced because it will allow Ballard to move to the left side. I wouldn't say Raymond has disappointed me.. I never thought he was that good any way. Sure, he puts up points and plays decent defensively but he is a detriment to the 2nd line. I would be disappointed in Burrows if it were not for his injury but I am also disappointed in Torres (inconsistent, but really who didn't expect it?) and Samuelsson.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 03:25 PM
StilesBC

I've been impressed with Ballard's hockey sense and positioning. Plus, he's had a different partner every few games to get used to, no power play time, some injuries, etc.

Raymond and Burrows had some pretty good seasons to try and match. Both have also suffered injuries.

Sammy has been as good as he needs to be. I hope he saves himself for the playoffs.

I'm not really disappointed with anyone. If Raymond or Burrows don't finish strong and find their scoring touch, it would be fair to label them disappointments. But I'd reserve judgment until later in the season when their injuries are long past them.

Ultimately, it is the playoffs that these guys are and should be concerned with. Regular season point totals are just a fun stat for fans to busy themselves with.

StilesBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 03:35 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topp Spin View Post
I know a couple guys have said that Torres was the biggest disappointment, but I disagree with that.

Torres throughout his career has been as streaky as they come. He has the ability, everyone knows that, but he's proven time and time again that he can pull a disappearing act. For a million dollars a year, he's on pace for around 18 goals I believe, and that's good enough.
Not really, when most of his goals so far came over a 4 or 5 game span.

As John Garret said when he was hot:

"He had a good season that game".

Torres has been awful.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Topp Spin
STIHL 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Not really, when most of his goals so far came over a 4 or 5 game span.

As John Garret said when he was hot:

"He had a good season that game".

Torres has been awful.
So, he still has the potential to get on a hot streak again. And he probably will score some more goals in bunches.

As for him being awful; I disagree. No doubt Torres takes nights off, but he doesn't do it all that often. Even though he doesn't contribute offensively, I still find that when he's playing, he hits guys, forechecks well, and gets some opportunities to score.

He's not as bad as you think, and for a million a year, he's good enough for what he is.

Topp Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topp Spin View Post
So, he still has the potential to get on a hot streak again. And he probably will score some more goals in bunches.

As for him being awful; I disagree. No doubt Torres takes nights off, but he doesn't do it all that often. Even though he doesn't contribute offensively, I still find that when he's playing, he hits guys, forechecks well, and gets some opportunities to score.

He's not as bad as you think, and for a million a year, he's good enough for what he is.
He's had one horrible game in front of a dozen or so "meh" games, and all it will take is one good game and everyone will be back on the Torres train.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote