HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bos - Car

Old
01-20-2011, 01:53 PM
NewEnglandSportsFan*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NewEnglandSportsFan*
Again, a bit much for a rental... unless you are guaranteeing him signing in Boston.

NewEnglandSportsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eennad142 View Post
For two potential months of J. Pitkanen, offering a return of Stuart and Hamill/Paille. I like that one. Sign me up, too.
You'll sign up for that one because Hamill or Paille are useless, and have little value to Boston, and Stuart is redundant. Problem is they have little value to any other team as well.

That's a joke offer, wouldn't even get Carolina's attention and rightfully so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerLeagueFanatic View Post
Again, a bit much for a rental... unless you are guaranteeing him signing in Boston.
You need to look back at what other solid, young defensive rentals have gone for. You get him for the season, and then get the right to negotiate well before anyone else as well, and at just 27 it would make sense to attempt to resign him.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 02:13 PM
GIN ANTONIC

I do it from a Canes perspective but I really like Stuart. He's exactly the kind of d-man we need to take some of the defensive and physical pressure off of Timmy. But if you guys want to throw in a 2nd or 3rd along with it I'm all for it. And yeah, if we can somehow manage to get Joni back in the off-season then that is just ridiculous.

Pitkanen - White
Gleason - McBain
Stuart - Corvo
Harrison

me like

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Baddkarma

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
So a potential bust prospect and a third pairing D man for a top pairing D man?

Not gonna happen my man.
I hear ya, its a rental for sure. Wheels is young and getting better every year. I think he is a guy the Bruins are high on and they won't part ways with him for a rental.

All that said, Pitkanen is a heck of a player and the package is close to fair. I just don't think Wheeler is the guy from a Bruin perspective.

Baddkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

It's a pretty solid deal for the Bruins and Pitkanen is exactly the type of player needed to take us over the top. Don't like loosing Wheels but if we are to make a serious run at the cup we wouldn't have a choice to give him up

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 03:16 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddkarma View Post
I hear ya, its a rental for sure. Wheels is young and getting better every year. I think he is a guy the Bruins are high on and they won't part ways with him for a rental.

All that said, Pitkanen is a heck of a player and the package is close to fair. I just don't think Wheeler is the guy from a Bruin perspective.
I disagree, I think Wheeler has proven he is what he is and not much more. Around 20 goals, around 20 assists, and around that pace again this year, he's a decent player but nothing special. I throw his draft position out the window.

Guys like that are expendable. Plus, he's going to be an RFA and might even have the balls to ask for a raise.

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 03:19 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
I disagree, I think Wheeler has proven he is what he is and not much more. Around 20 goals, around 20 assists, and around that pace again this year, he's a decent player but nothing special. I throw his draft position out the window.

Guys like that are expendable. Plus, he's going to be an RFA and might even have the balls to ask for a raise.
He will for sure, my bet is he comes in right around 3M. Which is too much for the Bruins for what he brings.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

how can some of you Bruins fans be trying to pimp Hamill while also having a thread that is for 1st round busts and including him in it? Thats the last thing Carolina needs is another teams' bust again

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 05:18 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Where do we sign?

I bet your friends wont like it one bit though.
Nope, I'm cool with it. IF the Canes were to lose Pitkanen this is the kind of return I'd be looking for. Honestly both parts of this package from Boston are better then a potential late first or mid 2nd that could be coming back.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 05:18 PM
paragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eennad142 View Post
For two potential months of J. Pitkanen, offering a return of Stuart and Hamill/Paille. I like that one. Sign me up, too.
People are seriously underestimating what teams are willing to pay for good UFA defensemen around deadline. Last year Joe Corvo's return was Brian Pothier, Oskar Osala, and a 2nd. Joni's value is in a whole different league.

I think Boston would have to add a pick to Stuart and Wheeler. Conditional 3rd, 1st if Pitkanen re-signs. I see this as a technicality, because I'm quite sure Pitkanen will return to Carolina.

paragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddkarma View Post

He is?

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 06:05 PM
LucicTrain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
He is?
He isn't?

LucicTrain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by russians View Post
He isn't?
21 goals, 45 pts in 1st year
18 goals, 38 pts in 2nd year
18 goals, 38 pts in 3rd year(prorated and rounded UP)

No. He isn't.

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:31 PM
MaritimeHockeyNut
BRUINSrCHAMPS nextyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Skinner View Post
how can some of you Bruins fans be trying to pimp Hamill while also having a thread that is for 1st round busts and including him in it? Thats the last thing Carolina needs is another teams' bust again
A pimp is gonna pimp... They'll be a taker... there always is... ask burkie.

MaritimeHockeyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Ten Thousand Hours

So... both sides agreed on a trade.

Now what?

Ten Thousand Hours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:49 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin2Couturier View Post
So... both sides agreed on a trade.

Now what?
Start a Kaberle for Richards thread

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Sure you guys don't want Hamill too? C'mon, you can have him for the bus fair it takes to get him down there.

No? Halfsies?

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:58 PM
phillipmike

Pitkanen is only 27, Boston would have a nice blueline if they could re-sign him.

Chara, Pitkanen, Seidenberg, and add a free agent or a blueliner in a trade. Thats pretty good.

phillipmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:59 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
21 goals, 45 pts in 1st year
18 goals, 38 pts in 2nd year
18 goals, 38 pts in 3rd year(prorated and rounded UP)

No. He isn't.
While I don't totally disagree, I think other parts of Wheeler's game have vastly improved this year compared to the past two years. He's much more physically involved, he's a dependable penalty killer, and he's cut down significantly on his brainfarts (offsides, etc).

I'm not sure his offensive ceiling is anywhere close to what people thought it could be a few years ago, but I also don't think he's done developing as a player.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:19 PM
WWAD

Quote:
Actually, for the most part, we are all in agreement on the Carolina side that this would be a good trade.
You mean the three or four people on the Canes board who don't like Pitkanen are in agreement.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Yeah, I'd pass from Carolina's side. It might be a good proposal value-wise, but I'm not sold on Stuart. He's looked alright for the B's, for sure, but the last guy who looked "alright" from that team that we picked up was A. Ward.

I'd see if we could get a better offer from another team. Maybe switch the quality of pieces. An alright winger and a young, good defenseman instead of an alright defenseman an a young, good winger.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
We were batting this around on the Canes board, thought I'd put it up for comment.

To Bos
D Joni Pitkanen $4.0m UFA

To Car
D Mark Stuart $1.675m UFA
LW Blake Wheeler $2.2m RFA

Boston
Positive - Pitkanen is the PMD the Bruins have been looking for. Putting him with Chara on the PP would just be ridiculous. I'm pretty sure this deal would keep them just barely under the cap, which is difficult to pull off while making a major acquisition.
Negative - Forces you to activate Paille both for the LW slot and the PK. That means a P-Bruin has to sit as a healthy scratch. You're pretty much cutting ties with Wheeler and Stuart, who are supporting elements of the young core.

Carolina
Positive - Solid return for a rental. Stuart would make a nice defensive balance with Gleason and Harrison opposite the offense-minded guys, and would be a good PK addition. Wheeler might actually do very well in Carolina, playing in the top-6 and probably getting 3-4 more minutes a night.
Negative - We're losing the best player in the deal, which is normal for a rental. Stuart is a UFA at season's end, so we might lose him too. Wheeler is something of a risk as he has yet to find his upside.
some bruin fans might not want to give up wheeler for a rental...but i think the b's management wouldnt have any problem doing this deal.

not sure if carolina could get a better offer or not. so much comes down to whether or not the two teams in question want to resign the ufa's and what exactly wheeler needs for his next deal to sign a longer term extension.

my guess is that wheeler is going to try to become overpaid, and if his offense production doesnt improve then he is already overpaid some. overpaid 3rd liners have almost no trade value anymore.

if wheeler becomes a second liner or better... then he might be the most valuable part of this trade proposal since pitkanen is an ufa.

personally, i think wheeler has a hard time becoming a top 6 forward in Boston. I see Horton/Krecji/Bergeron all very solidly ahead of him on the depth chart. I see Seguin with the golden ticket to join the top 6. I see Savard as a surefire top 6 if he gets healthy again and sticks aroun,.

Lucic is being paid 4 mill like a top 6 and brings way more physical play then wheeler.

caron/colborne/marchard are all kids... wheeler is ahead of them right now, but if wheeler's upside has maxed out then he will probably be passed by these kids within a year or two or three.

wheeler isnt old by any stretch of the word... but he isnt exactly a raw rookie anymore either.

if Boston talks to him about an extension... and he says anything we dont like to hear about his expected money next year, then id view him as an ufa myself. I dont intend to overpay him cause we have to control the spending on our third and fourth line guys.

Pitkanen for Wheeler would make me very happy... or Karberle for Wheeler. Id definitely talk to Toronto if I am dealing Wheeler. See what my best offer is.

I think I got around 4 1/2 per year in the budget to try to resign either Pitkanen or Karberle for the future, but not much more then that. Whomever I trade for, I would want to resign too. We need the guy for more then just this year.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Actually, for the most part, we are all in agreement on the Carolina side that this would be a good trade.
Is there a belief in Carolina that you'll be able to resign him this summer?

Regardless, I think it's a good and fair deal. You don't often see young top9/top4 roster players dealt for rentals unless they're of the Kovalchuk/Hossa ilk. Still, the B's have a dearth of forwards and more coming, so offering an actual NHL player may be what puts Boston out in front of other teams bidding for Joni's services, but not wanting to subtract in order to add.

Chara-Kampfer
Pitkanen-Seid's
Ference-Boychuk

That would be the best, most well balanced defense the Bruins have had in ages. Power and passing, hitting and skating, offense and defense in every pair.

Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 05:20 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

If there was a belief we could re-sign him, there won't be a trade. The only reason he would be traded is if JR finds out he'll be asking for more than JR feels he can afford.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 05:40 PM
BadBruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Bomb View Post
Yeah, I'd pass from Carolina's side. It might be a good proposal value-wise, but I'm not sold on Stuart. He's looked alright for the B's, for sure, but the last guy who looked "alright" from that team that we picked up was A. Ward
Stuart is 26. Same type of player as Aaron Ward (shot blocking physical presence), but different stage of his career. The only thing Carolina should be worried about is his UFA status at the end of the year.

BadBruins is online now   Reply With Quote