HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill X

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2011, 04:55 AM
northernKing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
i hope it's not JW. he is one of the only players that has the skill set to play the 'current' NHL style. TMu's north-south dump and chase style would likely grate on someone that is able to and can play N-S and E-W.

DL needs to seriously evaluate where TMu is 'able to' take this team. it's hard to say the old school dump and chase style doesnt work and is dead. PHI still plays it for the most part and they went to the SC last season. at the same CHI which plays more of a puck possession style of play beat them in the SC.

i read a great article yesterday on THN from a former player talking about the change of style in today's league. give it a read. LA needs to read this and decide where they are going.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...game-plan.html

i agree entirely with his viewpoints when it comes to puck possession and controlling tempo. for example the start of the DAL game the other night was an example of this. DAL was working the puck around, then making that cross ice feed to stretch/extend the LA defense. LA looked completely ragged and two steps behind the action. DET, VAN, CHI, PIT all do this also.
The article makes a few good points. Yes shots on goals is no longer the stat it used to be as teams with a two or more goal lead often sit back and let the other team come at them in waves. This often results in very lopsided shot totals. And yes goalies are much bigger and are pretty much all butterfly types. Looking at old games from the 70's 80's and 90's you can see that goalies like Dryden and Parents would really struggle in todays game.

However the writer fails to realize that there are ALOT more 3rd/4th line types than true elite level playmakers. Yes the Crosby,Backstro,.Sedin and Richards types not only have the passing skill, but are often not rushed by the dmen because they can be made to look silly. The real problem is these 3-4th liners have no real alternative thab to shoot the puck. Whats better an average shot on net or losing the puck tying to make a play and have your teammates caught going the other way? How often have Kings fans seen JJ jump inthe rush only to have our fwds lose the puck or make a bad play to the point?

IMO fwds who cyle out of the corner and make passes back to the point when the man is closely being defended are coping out. Its much better to lose the puck down low attempting a play to the net than to just fire it back to the point. Especially when dman just shoot it back in the corner. Also the writer fails to aknowledge that players today collapse down low and there is less room to make these plays.

In LA's case how many players do we have that can beat a guy one on one? Kopitar. Simmonds, Williams and Brown? maybe Richardson? The rest lack the foot speed or puck skills OR both to do so. If we had the Canucks lineup and we continued to play this way then I'd be mad. With our lineup I'm glad we play somewhat conservative because it keeps us in alot more games.

Old
01-20-2011, 03:37 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
This Nabokov stuff is real interesting. I know the Red Wings are trying to structure a deal so he won't get claimed off waivers.

There have to be teams in the West that would claim him just so Detroit doesn't get him.

Should be interesting once he is signed.

A NMC is going to hurt Detroit as much as it hurts anyone else.

He is also 35+, so Detroit will take the cap hit for the duration of he contract even if Nabby retires or gets hurt.

Old
01-20-2011, 03:50 PM
DeeMeck

Dreger just tweeted the dollar amount is $570,000, though the deal still isn't done. The pro-rate is about 250k. There is no way Nabby clears waivers at that price.

Old
01-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Dreger just tweeted the dollar amount is $570,000, though the deal still isn't done. The pro-rate is about 250k. There is no way Nabby clears waivers at that price.
Lombardi would even take him.

Old
01-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Not everyone cheered.

That said MC had an issue and a change of venue was what was best for him and for us and it has shown. The question regarding MC for me will come when we see how his team does next year.
One thing that Crow has got on Hairy Furry regardless is the ability to learn from past mistakes.

Old
01-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goallum View Post
One thing that Crow has got on Hairy Furry regardless is the ability to learn from past mistakes.
Hairy Furry?

Old
01-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Hairy Furry?
Yeah, that's what I'm going with now. Tired of "TeMu"

Old
01-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
He is also 35+, so Detroit will take the cap hit for the duration of he contract even if Nabby retires or gets hurt.
The league year is defined by the player's age on 6/30, so Nabokov's deal wouldn't be classified as 35+ since his birthday was in July. It'll be interesting to see what kind of deal they work out. Detroit could mask the cap hit by signing him to a longer term deal, but Nabokov would then risk being claimed by an undesirable team and be stuck. 570K would seemingly get multiple claims.

Old
01-20-2011, 05:58 PM
funky

I wouldn't be suprised to see Poni traded to the Rangers. They are hurting up front, could use the size, and had a good run with Antropov a few years ago. They also could use a Dman with experience. I know DD2 doesn't have a lot but they are currently playing 2 rooks.

I would really like to see a deal swung for Gratchev. He is a big bodied skilled guy who can play LW. He is having a down year but has started showing signs of life. When I look at our system, as stocked as it is, I see no one like this. He may be worth a gamble.

Old
01-20-2011, 06:05 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
I wouldn't be suprised to see Poni traded to the Rangers. They are hurting up front, could use the size, and had a good run with Antropov a few years ago. They also could use a Dman with experience. I know DD2 doesn't have a lot but they are currently playing 2 rooks.

I would really like to see a deal swung for Gratchev. He is a big bodied skilled guy who can play LW. He is having a down year but has started showing signs of life. When I look at our system, as stocked as it is, I see no one like this. He may be worth a gamble.
Would you be willing to part with Richie or A Mart to get him? Poni has little to no value and DD44 may have a little bit but neither of them would bring back Gratchev. I would take a roster player who has upside and then the rags would have to want to move him which i don't think they will be.

I would like to have him on our team too.

Old
01-20-2011, 07:26 PM
funky

Quote:
Would you be willing to part with Richie or A Mart to get him? Poni has little to no value and DD44 may have a little bit but neither of them would bring back Gratchev. I would take a roster player who has upside and then the rags would have to want to move him which i don't think they will be.

I would like to have him on our team too.
I may be the minority, but I would. We are stocked at D and I would gamble letting Martinez go. We have Hickey, Voinov and co in the wings waiting. As for Ritchie, I like what he brings, but he is easily replacable. Lewis, Cliche etc have the same upside. Gratchev has the skating ability, reach and hands that might mesh well with Kopitar in a few years. If not we lost a little bit of talent, but its not a suicide trade.

Old
01-20-2011, 07:56 PM
king maker

any word on who asked to be traded?

Old
01-20-2011, 08:01 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
I may be the minority, but I would. We are stocked at D and I would gamble letting Martinez go. We have Hickey, Voinov and co in the wings waiting. As for Ritchie, I like what he brings, but he is easily replacable. Lewis, Cliche etc have the same upside. Gratchev has the skating ability, reach and hands that might mesh well with Kopitar in a few years. If not we lost a little bit of talent, but its not a suicide trade.
I would be willing to part with Richie for him too. It would be tough to give up a proven player like A Mart or Richie and of course the Rags would have to make it work by adding what they would need to depending on which player they got but I do agree that Gratchev has a solid skillset.

To me though, if we are going to be willing to part with A Mart or anyone else I would rather that we put a package together for a player with a little more upside but that's just me. Gratchev is solid.

Old
01-20-2011, 08:02 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by banksy View Post
any word on who asked to be traded?
One of our injured players is what I had heard maybe.

Old
01-20-2011, 08:09 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
HNIC Radio was saying they can include bonus clauses that kick in an extra year if he hits them. I don't think that will even matter, he's an upgrade over a lot of NHL team goalies. If Kyle Wellwood gets claimed then Nabokov gets claimed.

Last edited by The Tikkanen: 01-20-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old
01-20-2011, 08:10 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

It would be a truly weird thing if Nabakov went unclaimed.

Old
01-20-2011, 08:12 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Not everyone cheered.

That said MC had an issue and a change of venue was what was best for him and for us and it has shown. The question regarding MC for me will come when we see how his team does next year.
They said on the last broadcast he learned he had to stop yelling. He's calmed down. As for Dallas, once Brad Richards leaves it's over. Having an elite player in a contract year boosts your team greatly. Once that player leaves it is impossible to replace him and the team suffers.

Old
01-20-2011, 08:27 PM
king maker

Quote:
thanks Tone .

Old
01-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Simmonds, Parse, Sturm? Those are the only officially injured players.

Old
01-20-2011, 08:31 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
They said on the last broadcast he learned he had to stop yelling. He's calmed down. As for Dallas, once Brad Richards leaves it's over. Having an elite player in a contract year boosts your team greatly. Once that player leaves it is impossible to replace him and the team suffers.
No doubt the old crow is greatly benefiting from having Richards on the team and I am not saying that he was the right coach for us, its just that MC got yanked and I thought he still had another year in him but then who knows really. I played with Marc in a tournament once and he was a really easy guy to talk to and a wellspring of knowledge so I guess I am was biased.

I ran into Andy Murray not too terribly long ago and he is another great guy who is more suited to coaching in a different league. The pressures of being an NHL coach and the expectations really ate him up. I mention him because he is another one of those guys who just knows the game inside and out but simply couldn't make it as a coach in the NHL.

Oh well.

Old
01-20-2011, 08:35 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
No doubt the old crow is greatly benefiting from having Richards on the team and I am not saying that he was the right coach for us, its just that MC got yanked and I thought he still had another year in him but then who knows really. I played with Marc in a tournament once and he was a really easy guy to talk to and a wellspring of knowledge so I guess I am was biased.

I ran into Andy Murray not too terribly long ago and he is another great guy who is more suited to coaching in a different league. The pressures of being an NHL coach and the expectations really ate him up. I mention him because he is another one of those guys who just knows the game inside and out but simply couldn't make it as a coach in the NHL.

Oh well.
I'll second this. I think in the long run AM would have been a better assistant coach in charge of breaking down the video.

Old
01-20-2011, 08:41 PM
king maker

Murray is the coach we should of had in the begining of the rebuild
to work with the kids and Crow should of been the coach now....

Anyways the best coach for this team is coaching the other guys tonight.

Old
01-20-2011, 08:44 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by banksy View Post
Murray is the coach we should of had in the begining of the rebuild
to work with the kids and Crow should of been the coach now....

Anyways the best coach for this team is coaching the other guys tonight.
That is the bitterest pill I have had to swallow in a long time

He should have never been allowed to leave in my opinion and I don't care when Dallas let him go, we should have simply hired him and let go whomever else we had driving the bus at that time.

Old
01-20-2011, 09:07 PM
king maker

Quote:
That is the bitterest pill I have had to swallow in a long time

He should have never been allowed to leave in my opinion and I don't care when Dallas let him go, we should have simply hired him and let go whomever else we had driving the bus at that time.
He would have this team with this current roster competing for top spot
in the west instead of fighting just to make the playoffs.

I hope when DL finds that " right fit " we have the right coach to go along with it.

Old
01-20-2011, 09:39 PM
FROMSHORETOCHARA

Quote:

Bruins fan, come in peace.

You guys might be right, it might be simmonds. A poster on bruins board Orrover gets a lot of good info, not sure of sources but seems to get a lot of stuff early and right and I it has been implied he knows somebody.

Anyway, he keeps insisting simmonds is available, my first impression was that was nuts, simmonds was close to untouchable last year and hard to see him falling that far that fast, even though he hasn't played as well this year.

BUT..if he asked for a trade, then maybe that's why he is no longer untouchable.

Just speculation and not even mine but figured I would throw it out there.

Closed Thread