HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik for Brown?

View Poll Results: Gaborik for Brown?
Yes to Gaborik for Brown 16 13.01%
Yes to Gaborik for Brown + 32 26.02%
No thanks. This thread is terrible! 75 60.98%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
so you wouldnt do Brown and Schenn for Gabby?

Let me reiterate though that i love Marian Gaborik, and I was leading the charge for us to sign him during his free agent year. And there is no way shape or form i would do gabby for Brown straight up.

Gabbys physical presence, etc, doesnt bother me. His injury history/concern has never scared me away.

With that said, I think youre underrating Brown/Dubinsky a little bit. Ill agree with you that Brown is basically already what we hope Dubi can be. I just happen to think thats a lot more valuable than you do. :-D

I also like Schenns game a lot. I think he'd become our top prospect right away.
Throw in Schenn and I'd consider it, but I can't say I'd do it without a lot of hesitation. The reality is that there only a handful of guys in the world right now who can do what Gaborik does. The guy can simply take over a game and set the entire pace and he's only 28 years old. All of two and a half years older than Brown.

I think we've already seen that replacing a 40 or 50 goal scorer with two guys who net 25 is not often an even swap.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 02:24 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
well last year dustin brown had 56 pts...gaborik had 84. this year in 46 games, brown has 36 pts. in 24 games gaborik has 29 pts im pretty sure....thats NOT MORE THAN HALF THE PRODUCTION...3 hat tricks in one season the most since jaromir jagr in 05-06. maybe u posted this thread because gaborik has been injured. but almost a point per game is pretty decent to me. but u would want to trade our most prolific scorer for a guy who put up 60 pts once in his career....no thanks
At the time of the posting, Gaborik had only 24 points. 24 to 36 as 1 to 1.5 so you are correct that is not MORE but EQUAL.

For the record, I would not trade Gaborik straight up for Brown. I just wanted to post a poll and see what other posters thought. Which is surprisingly more varied than I thought. I thought there'd be a heavier skew towards "no." Brown + Schenn I refer to as tempting. My original point was that Brown was a better fit for our team system and identity than Gaborik is.

Of course if he could have 5 point nights every game, it wouldn't matter what system and what identity we had but the reality is that Gaborik went 8 straight games without a goal. His 3 hat tricks were against the Laffs, Fishsticks, and Oilers, arguably the 3 worst teams in the league. Excuse me if I'm not falling out of my chair impressed. If he had 3 hat tricks against Boston, Pittsburgh, and Vancouver, that would be something to pay attention to. His ONLY goal against a better team we beat was in our 7-0 drubbing of the Caps. He has a goal against TB, Pit, Bos all in losses and everything else is from bottom feeders. Gaborik is elite but to characterize this season as good (which you don't) is a misrepresentation. His season is "pretty decent" which in my understanding of the English language means either "sort of decent" or "not quite decent" which is quite accurate.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 02:44 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Seems you can predict more than just the weather...
I can anticipate things pretty well

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 02:59 PM
slovakfan*

where is "Are you ***ing kidding me" option?

slovakfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 03:02 PM
allstar3970

I like Dustin Brown, but I must say almost nobody is more overrated than him on HFBoards. Yes he scores some, yes he hits (but often is more focused on hitting than playing D), he's not really any better than Dubinsky to me. (and duh I know thats not a bad thing, but people talk about the guy like he's Crosby)

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 03:39 PM
NYRangers16

Voted for Brown +...I think Schenn would be the plus...this move would give us 3m in cap room and we could add another really good player with that, or combine it with other cap moves to give us enough to sign Richards. I like Gabby, but he's not untouchable at 7.5 per. Ultimately, no way LA trades Schenn so not a big deal.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 03:47 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 03:56 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't think LA would do it.

It's one thing to take the risk of signing Gaborik as a UFA, it's quite another to trade assets for him.

It would take a GM with the heart of a lion to trade for Gaborik.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 04:02 PM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
I would take Brown or Schenn even up for Gaborik
Man, that is brutal. I can't believe what a short memory some people have.

The Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 04:23 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
I like Dustin Brown, but I must say almost nobody is more overrated than him on HFBoards. Yes he scores some, yes he hits (but often is more focused on hitting than playing D), he's not really any better than Dubinsky to me. (and duh I know thats not a bad thing, but people talk about the guy like he's Crosby)
I kind of feel like people are talking about Gaborik like he's Crosby. And HF boards or not, prior to this season, there is no mistaking who the better player is between Dubinsky and Brown. Dubinsky is passing Brown this season but it isn't by a lot. But the same thing (about overrating) can be said about Dubinsky. People seem to think he's as important to our team as Crosby is to the Pens.

Old
01-20-2011, 05:13 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

We are all high on Gaborik's performance last night, but he's done things like this before and then disappeared for weeks after.

So, I'm taming expectations.

For Brown and Schenn, I'd absolutely do that deal.

For a more consistent player, one of the top prospects in hockey, and a lot of cap space.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 05:16 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

With some expiring contracts, that could give us cap space for our RFAs and go after Richards.

Old
01-20-2011, 05:33 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
With some expiring contracts, that could give us cap space for our RFAs and go after Richards.
And take away the only pure goal scorer on the team, thus severely diminishing Richards' impact.

Throwing in my lot with those who say Brown is overrated on these boards. It'd have to be Schenn at least, and probably Schenn and a pick coming back to us before I'd consider trading Gabby for him.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 05:38 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Prior to the emergence or Stamkos, Gaborik was one of the top5 players in this league, he's still in the top10, Brown is not. As much as I like Brown he isn't even in the top 50 talents in the league and you don't trade a guy who's a top5 or 10 for a guy who's a top 75-100 that makes no sense at all.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 08:11 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Would the Gaborik from last night please step up? Please step up?

Old
01-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Prior to the emergence or Stamkos, Gaborik was one of the top5 players in this league, he's still in the top10, Brown is not. As much as I like Brown he isn't even in the top 50 talents in the league and you don't trade a guy who's a top5 or 10 for a guy who's a top 75-100 that makes no sense at all.
92 in the league in scoring is top 5 in the league?

Skrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Gemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
92 in the league in scoring is top 5 in the league?

Yes because he's played in every game thus far right? It's funny how averages work.

Gemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 09:20 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
Yes because he's played in every game thus far right? It's funny how averages work.
Are you guys talking about Stamkos or Gaborik? Gaborik is not and has never been more than top 10. He's only been 10th and 12th overall in his career. If you look at all his other seasons, he has averaged less that 60 pts per season. Arguably due to injuries but that's part of the Marion Gaborik package I suppose.

Old
01-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
I don't think LA would do it.

It's one thing to take the risk of signing Gaborik as a UFA, it's quite another to trade assets for him.

It would take a GM with the heart of a lion to trade for Gaborik.
You could look at it that way, or you could look at it like LA not wanting to trade their young captain for someone who is more dynamic but a ****-ton more fragile. Just playing Devil's advocate lol, I love Gabby.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 09:30 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
and the guy that hardly ever plays is worth more to your team right? It's funny how relativity works.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 09:36 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
We are all high on Gaborik's performance last night, but he's done things like this before and then disappeared for weeks after.

So, I'm taming expectations.

For Brown and Schenn, I'd absolutely do that deal.

For a more consistent player, one of the top prospects in hockey, and a lot of cap space.

I really hope it isn't another 8 games before he scores again.
We need him to show up for these games that we need to win. Not so much the ones we should win. Our Whale team could've beat the Leafs last night.

Old
01-20-2011, 10:20 PM
Gemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
and the guy that hardly ever plays is worth more to your team right? It's funny how relativity works.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that Dustin Brown is worth more to your team than Marion Gaborik?

The guy that "hardly ever plays" has more points in less games played than Brown in his "career" season. You're right it is funny how relativity works.

Old
01-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Gemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Are you guys talking about Stamkos or Gaborik? Gaborik is not and has never been more than top 10. He's only been 10th and 12th overall in his career. If you look at all his other seasons, he has averaged less that 60 pts per season. Arguably due to injuries but that's part of the Marion Gaborik package I suppose.
I was talking about Gaborik, but I wasn't debating his league status. Just stating that you can't say "he's 92 in league scoring" like that is any indication of how good of a player he is especially when hes played 15 games less than most people on that list.

Old
01-20-2011, 10:55 PM
gravytrain6t

I hope Gaborik makes me eat crow, and carries the Rangers to victory in Atlanta. We need some breathing room and thankfully, tampa came back back and the Thrashers only got one point tonight.

I think I would take Gaborik off of Anisimov's line, keep Avery there and put Drury in the middle. Why not put both players (Drury, Gaborik) who still have so much to prove to this franchise, each on the same line?

Brayden Schenn would be a great pick up for any team. I'd love to have him along with other young talent like Zuccarello, Stepan, Kreider, Anisimov, and Grachev up front.

At the same time, (even if Sather was contemplating a trade including Gaborik) I'm really pulling hard for Gabby and want him to put the offense of this team on his shoulders until we start getting some key players back. The team needs Saturday's game big time.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 11:58 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Gaborik is a better scorer.

Brown is a better hockey player.