HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#47: Senators @ Flyers - Thursday, Jan. 20, 2011 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
01-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Because he was challenged by the smallest guy in hockey? How would he get hurt, from a gerbil bite?
Gerbils hurt other Gerbils all the time.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 01-20-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 10:01 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Hit was clean. Neil doesn't have instant replay, so whatever, he did what he thought he had to do.

I completely understand declining Carkner, provided Shelley fought Neil, who is competent, not exactly a light weight, and I'm sure in Shelley's opinion had something to answer for. And if you think the fight with Neil was a draw you're nuts.

Odie kept his face in once piece. I'm not mad at him for turtling once he couldn't get his left glove off. Staying up was only gonna cost him a few teeth.
Fair enough I can respect that.

Considering the height/weight diescrepancy, I would call it a draw although Shelley landed more...should have taken him down, though. If he fought Carkner like that i would give him the win, if you know what I mean.

Carkner would be a good Flyer.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
Just saying that you guys seem to be awfully wacked to try and make Shelley look like a professor by not fighting Carkner 'cause he wanted Neil who he could barely handle.
jeez i know your announcers are huge homers but i'm amazed that your video production people managed to make it look like neil didn't get beat up.

Ilkka Sinisalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 10:07 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Because he was challenged by the smallest guy in hockey? How would he get hurt, from a gerbil bite?

Well, maybe I remember Philly being tougher than guys turtling, tough guys walking away and Briere, a guy who has thrown not even entertaining the fans with a good 'ol wrestling match.

Hey, we suck, already said that. Just saying that you guys seem to be awfully wacked to try and make Shelley look like a professor by not fighting Carkner 'cause he wanted Neil who he could barely handle.

By the way, how do we compare to the year you guys tanked? We need some pointers on next year. You guys re-tooled thanks to Nashville, here's hoping we can do the same .
I think it's ridiculous that anyone is *****ing about the Giroux hit. It was totally legal. Also, I give mega props to Carter for fighting.

As for how the Sens compare to the Flyers in the season that shall not be named, to quote Bobby Clarke when Leafs fans hoped to do the same thing: "You don't have Richards and Carter." I don't know if you guys have any blue chip prospects that are a year away from being studs like they were, but that's how it started. Add in stealing Coburn, Timonen and Hartnell and that's how we got to be so much better the next year. Getting rid of a placid, robotic coach sealed it last season, and adding Bobrovsky this season has made a huge difference.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 10:08 PM
coladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I was gonna say go to Nashville, but it appears you have the right idea. Acquire Weber, go from there. We already exhausted their Timonen supply

Fisher and Bran Lee for Shea Weber. They can't afford him and Carrie Underwood will be much happier.

Old
01-20-2011, 10:09 PM
chaosof99*

Just saw on TSN, Elliot's SV% tonight was .727. Yeouch.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 10:11 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
also you guys are spending way too much on bottom 6 players.

Neil 2 mil, Kelly 2.1 mil, Ruutu 1.3 mil etc

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 10:12 PM
coladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
OD couldn't get his glove off, then fell over, of course he would Turtle. Props to Carkner for not hitting him after he fell.

I hate Shelley, but I dont have any problem saving himself for Neil. Otherwise, a more useful, less of a fighter would have had to fight him. (Carcillo was scratched) I would have liked to see Shelley-Carkner but I would have hated to see Neil go after Richards, JVR, etc, plus we got a PP so I think it was good move. Neil is a dirty puke, and would easily Drury someone if Shelley had already been in the penalty box. Carkner on the other hand is a stand up guy and isnt dirty

Believe it or not, the sens are my 2nd favorite team. I really think Murray should have stayed as coach and not become GM. He was aa great coach. Cowen, Karlsson, Runblad are 3 great young D but you need forwards and a goalie (Lehner not ready yet). Best advice is to trade any non vital player for young players and let every good prospect or young gun play down the stretch. and fire clouston
I see your point. Shelley was a lot scarier about five years ago too.

Old
01-20-2011, 10:15 PM
coladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Gerbils hurt other Gerbils all the time.

You're crazy, but you're right about one thing.....

[
Thanks!

Old
01-20-2011, 10:15 PM
MsWoof

I just caught up on the thread and finished watching the game. Awesome stuff after the usual brain fart. Bob was solid, Richie was God-like, Roo threw down Icky Nicky Foligno, Carter FOUGHT! I couldn't be more proud!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 10:18 PM
coladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I think it's ridiculous that anyone is *****ing about the Giroux hit. It was totally legal. Also, I give mega props to Carter for fighting.

As for how the Sens compare to the Flyers in the season that shall not be named, to quote Bobby Clarke when Leafs fans hoped to do the same thing: "You don't have Richards and Carter." I don't know if you guys have any blue chip prospects that are a year away from being studs like they were, but that's how it started. Add in stealing Coburn, Timonen and Hartnell and that's how we got to be so much better the next year. Getting rid of a placid, robotic coach sealed it last season, and adding Bobrovsky this season has made a huge difference.
Who did you guys dump that year? Other than Forsberg? All we have, legitimately is Jared Cowen and David Rundblad, d-men. One tough and mobil and one skilled. We are very thin up front. The Bobbby Butler kid is pretty much all we have going, which is mediocre at best...tough times ahead. We need a top 3 pick to re-tool and get a better coach.

Do you guys want Filip Kuba?

Old
01-20-2011, 10:18 PM
CerpinTaxt

"that was the first hit ive seen from Giroux and it was not necessary"

Wah wah from the Ottawa announcers. Frist hit by Giroux? Watch the Flyers play more

If my team is up 5-2 I certainly hope they are still throwin hits. Its the kinda thing that the Flyers havent been doing lately with a lead in the 3rd. Good all around game from the Flyers, no matter what Ottawa fans say.

Sorry your team hasnt been doing well this year. Hopefully you turn it around soon.

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 10:20 PM
coladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
also you guys are spending way too much on bottom 6 players.

Neil 2 mil, Kelly 2.1 mil, Ruutu 1.3 mil etc
Kelly is the only going having a good year. Ruutu is washed up and not annoying anymore. Neil is the only heart and soul, as icky he may seem to many , on this team. He hits, he fights, he polices, without him we are the Montreal Canadiens.

I love Carkner but he can't hit because he is not mobile. Wicked fighter. You are right, and a guy like Jesse Winchester can do what Kelly does at half the price. Ruutu will be gone too.

Old
01-20-2011, 10:28 PM
coladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerpinTaxt View Post
"that was the first hit ive seen from Giroux and it was not necessary"

Wah wah from the Ottawa announcers. Frist hit by Giroux? Watch the Flyers play more

If my team is up 5-2 I certainly hope they are still throwin hits. Its the kinda thing that the Flyers havent been doing lately with a lead in the 3rd. Good all around game from the Flyers, no matter what Ottawa fans say.

Sorry your team hasnt been doing well this year. Hopefully you turn it around soon.
Hey, no doubt about it, you guys are on another level right now, looked more like NHL v AHL out there. Hockey is a funny game, you can have all the tools, the hands, the speed, the grit, but if you lose your confidence...there is nowhere to hide on the ice. It's a man's game and when you play against men and you look like a boy, even your grandma can see when guys are scared, not committed, won't do what it takes to win because they don't beleive anymore.

This is pretty much the same team from last year, which was ahead of you guys for pete's sake, except we have an "elite" d man in Gonchar, which just goes to show what happens when you lose your confidence.

Old
01-20-2011, 10:29 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I just caught up on the thread and finished watching the game. Awesome stuff after the usual brain fart. Bob was solid, Richie was God-like, Roo threw down Icky Nicky Foligno, Carter FOUGHT! I couldn't be more proud!
LOL - thought you'd get a kick out of Roo vs Foligno.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 10:32 PM
TheLegendkiller

Is it just me or does anybody else have a feeling Zherdev will be gone by trade deadline? Theres been a few times where a goal was caused by him not backchecking or bumping into his own teammates.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 10:34 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Not as far as you know.

I'll bet ya.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 10:37 PM
CerpinTaxt

Quote:
Hey, no doubt about it, you guys are on another level right now, looked more like NHL v AHL out there. Hockey is a funny game, you can have all the tools, the hands, the speed, the grit, but if you lose your confidence...there is nowhere to hide on the ice. It's a man's game and when you play against men and you look like a boy, even your grandma can see when guys are scared, not committed, won't do what it takes to win because they don't beleive anymore.

This is pretty much the same team from last year, which was ahead of you guys for pete's sake, except we have an "elite" d man in Gonchar, which just goes to show what happens when you lose your confidence.
Notice how I said "hasnt been doing well this year"

Didnt say Ottawa was bad. Just that your announcers were crying a bit more then they should have.

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 10:37 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
I didn't catch the first two, but the last four goals would have been very difficult saves at best. Supposedly he just lost his tenth straight. The bright side is if he comes out of this stretch in one piece he is going to be mentally unbreakable, lol.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 10:39 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
His sieve% was 100.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:03 PM
rban*

Ottawa's forwards: they have an above average bottom 6 but an inadequate top 6. Alfie getting old, Kovalev always 'enigmatic' (ie hot and cold, unreliable), Spezza lacks heart. Fisher and Michalek are good but not enough.. not real premiere forwards.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:03 PM
Cinerary
The Inexorable

Hopefully Boosh gets the start on Saturday, and Bob goes on Sunday.

Cinerary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:13 PM
FlyersWillRockU
Too Old? Rookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villedelphia View Post
not only does potvin sound like he has testicles in his mouth, he must have them over his eyes if he thinks that was a cheapshot

I was very annoyed with the him until you made me see the light with this post!!

FlyersWillRockU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:14 PM
CharlieGirl

From Darren Dreger's twitter:

Expected a lot of things tonight. A fight between Foligno and Giroux was not one of them...yikes.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:37 PM
drownedsailors

I'm sorry but did everyone absolutely miss seeing why Giroux made the hit? Was I the only one watching this game?

Ok listen, we all know the Senators suck, but they're one of those teams that sometimes compete like crazy when they're down 7-0 or whatever. Well the score was 5-2 at the time, and Giroux/Carter's line was out for an extended amount of time. They had trouble clearing the puck and the Senators were good on the cycle. There was a point (right before the Giroux hit) when the puck was near the blue line and all the Flyers were having trouble clearing the puck, then Winchester was the first guy to get to the lose puck and he was trying to take the puck in deep; so Giroux hit him to separate the puck from him so that one of the Flyers could clear the puck and they could all have a line change.

For some reason that play reminded me of that power play goal we had against Buffalo, when the the Buffalo Penalty killers were all getting to the lose pucks and it looked like the puck was going to be cleared until Richie absolutely leveled the Buffalo player; it caused chaos and we ended up scoring from that.

Small plays like that are important and it was no where near a cheap shot, the guy was just tired and wanted to get off, and if Neil didn't respond they would have cleared the puck. Whatever though, this game just solidified the amount of respect I have for Giroux and I'm so happy to call him a Flyer

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote