HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should we claim Nabokov?

Old
01-20-2011, 10:43 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 500
Should we claim Nabokov?

Wings sign Nabokov for league minimum

IMHO no way he plays for the Wings.. someone claims him at that price... (I hope, anyway)

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 10:46 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Wings sign Nabokov for league minimum

IMHO no way he plays for the Wings.. someone claims him at that price... (I hope, anyway)
I agree. I know we all love Lindback and think he's going to be solid for us down the line but would it make sense for us to grab Nabokov? He would give us a cheap veteran backup for the rest of the season, plus it keeps him off of Detroit's roster.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 10:50 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I agree. I know we all love Lindback and think he's going to be solid for us down the line but would it make sense for us to grab Nabokov? He would give us a cheap veteran backup for the rest of the season, plus it keeps him off of Detroit's roster.
I'd bet that Nabakov doesn't even make it to us on the waiver wire for 250K.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 10:50 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Sharks will likely put in a claim, but I guess it depends on the severity of the injury to Nittymaki. Could also see a claim from Atlanta or even Columbus.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I'm not really all that worried about it. Who knows if he'll even regain his old form.

Doubt we put in a claim.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 10:59 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Should we claim Nabokov?

when I first saw that the Wings had signed Nabokov, I assumed he'd be claimed by someone like Philly... but we are below Philly in the standings, so we would get him first...

before you reject it outright, think about it... Lindback had a great run earlier, but has been shelled in a couple of his most recent outings.

Lindback wouldnt have to clear waivers to go to Milwaukee,

We get a veteran backup at league minimum for less than half a year,

and best of all we screw the Wings...

the only negative is the potential damage to Lindback's psyche, and the potential to disrupt team chemistry(and I admit that might be enough to be a dealbreaker).

but it certainly isnt as outlandish an idea as it seemed to be when I first thought of it

Old
01-20-2011, 11:02 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
man its scary when we are thinking alike. I just made a new thread about it to get everyones input.

its not as crazy an idea as it first seemed to be

Old
01-20-2011, 11:02 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
when I first saw that the Wings had signed Nabokov, I assumed he'd be claimed by someone like Philly... but we are below Philly in the standings, so we would get him first...

before you reject it outright, think about it... Lindback had a great run earlier, but has been shelled in a couple of his most recent outings.

the only negative is the potential damage to Lindback's psyche, and the potential to disrupt team chemistry(and I admit that might be enough to be a dealbreaker).

but it certainly isnt as outlandish an idea as it seemed to be when I first thought of it
Were those thoughts spurned on by my comments after you first mentioned Detroit signed him?

Old
01-20-2011, 11:03 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

two letters ... N O

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:05 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Were those thoughts spurned on by my comments after you first mentioned Detroit signed him?
no i had them on my own, but now we are playing thread-tag. i just answered you in the around the nhl thread..

Mods, how about some merging, one way or the other?

Old
01-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:

If it ain't broke don't fix it. No thanks for the reasons you listed, plus it might threaten Rinne, and screws with the depth chart in Milwaukee.

Not that it matters.. he won't make it to us.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:07 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
man its scary when we are thinking alike. I just made a new thread about it to get everyones input.

its not as crazy an idea as it first seemed to be
I know. If it gives us that veteran keeper that I think we need, it's not a bad move. Like we said, it strengthens us and screws Detroit. How much better does it get than that?

Old
01-20-2011, 11:12 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I'm not writing off Lindback yet. The dude has a chance to be a beast, and he will benefit a ton from learning for another huge goalie from his neck of the woods (Rinne). For Lindback's sake, no.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:38 PM
predfan24

Quote:
I know. If it gives us that veteran keeper that I think we need, it's not a bad move. Like we said, it strengthens us and screws Detroit. How much better does it get than that?
I agree it's not a bad idea at all. Doubt he would get to us anyway but worst case scenario even if he did he refuses to report he has to sit out the rest of the year. For 250K I wouldn't be surprised if some teams put in a claim just to keep a quality goaltender away from Detroit. Hopefully we put a claim in just in case.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:46 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
I lead this conversation on Twitter during the second intermission...

I think it's definitely something the Preds have to strongly consider. By claiming Nabokov, not only do you keep him away from Detroit, but you also allow Lindback to go down to Milwaukee and get some starts to further his development. Additionally, by adding Nabokov we would add some protection should something happen to Pekka down the stretch.

I do not believe Nabokov is a clear cut No. 1 any longer, but I do think he still has enough left in the tank to step up and fill that role in the short term or in the playoffs if necessary. Key would be convincing him to come to Nashville. He wants to be a No. 1, but even with Detroit there is already someone (Jimmy Howard) in that spot...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 12:18 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

We could try to claim a player from every central division team.
Blues: Check
Redwings: Possible check
Hawks: Wait and see.
Jackets: Wait and see.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:24 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Sharks will likely put in a claim, but I guess it depends on the severity of the injury to Nittymaki. Could also see a claim from Atlanta or even Columbus.
I would assume New Jersey would be interested also.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:53 AM
Milly79

I say no. If only it were to screw DET, then sure. I think Lindback needs to stay in the NHL rather than go down to the AHL, then MIL gets to roll 3 goalies or Smith? Goes down to the ECHL. Bad idea. The guy hasn't won a cup, and isn't very good in the playoffs (like we need more of that).

Milly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 05:16 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Islanders put in a claim with DiPietro's fragility or Edmonton with the performance of their goaltenders. I just don't see how he gets through waivers at that price. It actually would save us cap space to claim him and send Lindback down.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 07:33 AM
deanwormer

Seems to me the only drawback is team chemistry. With Lindback, you send him down to play every day and tell him he's back for the POs and next year - sure, it'll sting, but kid seems to have his head on straight and if this shatters him, well, maybe he's not got NHL goalie makeup then anyway.

If I'm Poile, and this is a league-minimum deal, I do it. From a Smashville fan perspective, how can you not wanna' do something that'd stick it to the deadthings?

All that said, there are teams in the PO-hunt that need a goalie - he wouldn't make it to us.

deanwormer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 07:52 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly79 View Post
I say no. If only it were to screw DET, then sure. I think Lindback needs to stay in the NHL rather than go down to the AHL, then MIL gets to roll 3 goalies or Smith? Goes down to the ECHL. Bad idea. The guy hasn't won a cup, and isn't very good in the playoffs (like we need more of that).
Lindback has fallen back down to earth a bit and wouldn't be hurt by getting starts in Milwaukee. I don't particularly care about the development of Jeremy Smith. I don't think Nabokov would even make it to us, but I do think we should put in a claim. If you can make your team better at such a cheap price, I think you have to do it.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:27 AM
67coach

Quote:

Firstly, Nabby's agent has made it very clear, he is not going to sign with any team as a "Backup", he wants a chance to play for the starting job.

Second, it is a shame that you think your team makes decision based on making the Red WIngs worse and not based on making your team better

67coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67coach View Post
Firstly, Nabby's agent has made it very clear, he is not going to sign with any team as a "Backup", he wants a chance to play for the starting job.

Second, it is a shame that you think your team makes decision based on making the Red WIngs worse and not based on making your team better
Every little bit helps.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:56 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:

If that were truly the case, I'd think Detroit is one of the last places that Nabby would like to go with Jimmy Howard firmly the #1.

Secondly, it could definitely be considered as improving Nashville if they claimed Nabby. Rinne has already missed extended time twice due to injury. As good as Lindback has been, there would be some comfort with the playoff experience of Nabby over Lindback if Rinne were to go down around the playoffs.

Screwing over Detroit is just a bonus.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:03 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:

He's already signed. If he's claimed, he can't "refuse to report." He has very little say in the matter, at this point.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote