HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders claim Nabokov off waivers, will not report

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2011, 07:40 AM
healthyscratch

vCash: 500
Zero chance he goes to the Red Wings, somoene will claim him IMO. If our goalie situation was shaky, or Leighton was involved I would want him. But with how well Bouch and Bob ase playing, I'll pass.

Is it correct in saying that if Detroit does get him, they CAN'T trade him? They must keep him or offer him back up on waivers?

Old
01-21-2011, 07:59 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Zero chance he goes to the Red Wings, somoene will claim him IMO. If our goalie situation was shaky, or Leighton was involved I would want him. But with how well Bouch and Bob ase playing, I'll pass.

Is it correct in saying that if Detroit does get him, they CAN'T trade him? They must keep him or offer him back up on waivers?
Yes and No. They can trade him, but Nabokov would have to clear waivers before the trade is completed. If he clears, then the trade goes through.

Old
01-21-2011, 08:25 AM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Yes and No. They can trade him, but Nabokov would have to clear waivers before the trade is completed. If he clears, then the trade goes through.
Cool, thanks.

Old
01-21-2011, 09:10 AM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Aha, this is how it might all come together.

There's a rumor that NJ will claim Nabokov and then promptly waive him.

The Devils get first dibs, so they'll get Nabokov. When they waive him right afterwards, Detroit gets first dibs as they are Nabby's original team.

That sucks.
What's in that for Jersey?

Old
01-21-2011, 10:16 AM
DenverBoone

I call BS. Sounds like collusion between NJ and Det. What kind of kickback is NJ getting to make this worth their while? It can't be ensuring Nabby doesn't play in the Eastern Conference.

Old
01-21-2011, 10:40 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Signed by Red Wings - Link Confirmed:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=350270

He has to clear waviers, $570,000 - someone steal him.... NYI? TAMPA? EDM?

Old
01-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
The Red Wings have something in mind. From what I understand, they've signed Nabby to an absurdly cheap, one year contract.

If the Devils take him and waive him, I can see them getting a 3rd or 4th round pick for nothing. And maybe they'd like to stick a bit of their **** inside of Bettman's ass.

Old
01-21-2011, 11:46 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
The Red Wings have something in mind. From what I understand, they've signed Nabby to an absurdly cheap, one year contract.

If the Devils take him and waive him, I can see them getting a 3rd or 4th round pick for nothing. And maybe they'd like to stick a bit of their **** inside of Bettman's ass.
After the Kovy thing, I can see that.

Either way, medium risk, high reward for the Red Wings. Let's see what happens.

Old
01-21-2011, 01:22 PM
BernieParent

The Detroit offer sheet has a NMC, so as I see it (and as posted widely elsewhere) a claiming team couldn't re-waive Nabokov without his consent. Plus, the claiming team can't trade him without putting him through waivers + his okay.

Since Philadelphia has the 30th option on Nabokov, it's all but impossible that he becomes available. Were I Holmgren, I'd put in a claim all the same, just to stay active as this shakes out, and to complicate things a bit for Detroit if it ever came to that. What could be more interesting is the trickle down effect if another team claims him and subsequently puts another G on waivers or looks to deal. Probably Detroit would be on the phone looking to make a minor deal first, but it's intriguing who might become available. Niittymaki? Turco?

Old
01-21-2011, 01:30 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post

I read that the Islanders were going to offer for him

Old
01-21-2011, 01:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
If Nabokov goes somewhere he doesn't want to go to, then he just doesn't report.

Old
01-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
If Nabokov goes somewhere he doesn't want to go to, then he just doesn't report.
If I were him then I'd go to any playoff team but, otherwise, not report.

Old
01-21-2011, 01:55 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Can he actually play that card if he wants to play any professional hockey? He got waived in the KHL, right? If he doesn't play there of the NHL, I can't think of any other league where he'll make $570,000 per year. I think he's just going to have to take it and deal.

Old
01-21-2011, 01:56 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Whats the point. I really don't think this year is a year where Nabokov needs to win a Cup. I mean, sure, he would like to, but after the whole debacle with the KHL, I think Nabby's main focus is to go to a team where he will be a starter and make a case for himself as a sought after goalie in free agency.

If I were him I would just go to a team that is desperate for a starter just to get his name out there again. Not so much to win a cup.

Old
01-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Whats the point. I really don't think this year is a year where Nabokov needs to win a Cup. I mean, sure, he would like to, but after the whole debacle with the KHL, I think Nabby's main focus is to go to a team where he will be a starter and make a case for himself as a sought after goalie in free agency.

If I were him I would just go to a team that is desperate for a starter just to get his name out there again. Not so much to win a cup.
It's only a one year contract. He'll be free to sign with any team in the offseason. He didn't have a starting job this year only because he still thought that he was worth 4-5M+.

Old
01-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Can he actually play that card if he wants to play any professional hockey? He got waived in the KHL, right? If he doesn't play there of the NHL, I can't think of any other league where he'll make $570,000 per year. I think he's just going to have to take it and deal.
Either way, he can almost certainly get with a team next year for the right price.

Old
01-21-2011, 02:18 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Well, if he is claimed by the Rangers (hypothetical), what do you do?

Old
01-21-2011, 07:21 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Someone on the trade forums posted this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Pierre LeBrun was just on the TEAM 1040 and said Philly might put a claim in. They are last in the waiver priority.

Old
01-21-2011, 07:26 PM
BernieParent

Why not? I like the idea of keeping his iron in the fire.

Old
01-22-2011, 08:59 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

To be truthful, considering where Nabokov is right now (waived by a KHL team), I would rather keep Boosh as our backup at his salary the way he's been playing than bring Nabby as a backup at $285K.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And right now the Flyers are a ****ing Lamborghini.

Old
01-22-2011, 09:39 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I wouldn't be opposed to claiming him just to prevent DET from having him. We can fit him under the cap right now so we could run with three goalies (or send Bob down). I said this when I first heard about the signing, but sending Bob down in favor of Nabby is not a bad idea. At the moment Boosh seems like he is playing better than Bob and Nabby at least has a history of good play, albeit not this season. So here's what I do if I am GM.

Put in a claim simply to prevent DET from getting him.

If he gets claimed by someone else, who cares because Boosh and Bob are playing well right now.

If he makes it down to PHI, now we have a starting goalie that was the initial priority of this team anyway.

Send Bob down and let him be the everyday starter in ADK.

Start Nabby a few games in a row to see how he does.

If he sucks, ok, Boosh is the Starter and Bob and be can called back up.

From what I understand there is a NMC in the contract so I guess he can't simply be waived, but with a contract that size it wouldn't be too bad keeping him on the roster and just not playing him. To me it seems like a low risk VERY HIGH reward.

Old
01-22-2011, 10:06 AM
CavemanLawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Put in a claim simply to prevent DET from getting him.
That's pretty much all I care about. But I dont want them to do it... Why aren't other teams doing it?! It makes no sense.

Is this like the good ol' boy network at work here? Why are the Flyers going to be the only team to stop this from happening? In any other sport EVERY team would be trying to stop the top 5 teams from becoming god like, but here it seems like the Flyers would be the only one putting a claim in.

Imagine if Man U or Barca were getting a player and ANY team in the league could halt the transfer... Teams wouldn't stop dialing. Lionel Messi going to Man U... Man City, do you want to stop this transfer? How about you Tottenham? No? OK!... Like come on. Granted he's no Messi, but he is a really good goalie, and any team can fit in a really good goalie...

The only thing I can think of is the NMC is scaring people away. He could be rusty, he could have lost a major step I guess... But I dunno. If Detroit thinks he's worthy of it, then uh... he's probably A-OK.

Old
01-22-2011, 11:12 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1000
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=350550

Quote:
In a move that is getting popular with NHL general managers, goaltender Evgeni Nabokov was claimed off waivers by the New York Islanders on Saturday after signing with the Detroit Red Wings on Thursday.

Despite signing with the Wings, Nabokov had to clear waivers to return to the NHL. The St. Louis Blues lost both Marek Svatos and Kyle Wellwood through the same procedure earlier this season. Svatos was claimed by Nashville and Wellwood was scooped up by San Jose.

The contract Nabokov signed with the Red Wings includes a no-move clause and states that he cannot be put back on waivers without his permission. Also, he is ineligible to play in American Hockey League this season due to league rules regarding free agents coming from Europe after Decemeber 15.

Old
01-22-2011, 11:13 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Didn't matter, he didn't get past the Islanders.

Another great job by an agent putting his player in a position to get completely screwed. I bet Nabokov wishes he could have draft weekend back when he had an offer on the table from us.

Old
01-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Hollywood Couturier

I don't see the guy reporting to the Isles but what do I know....

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Closed Thread