HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philly's biggest rivals

Old
01-20-2011, 11:15 PM
CaptainAmerica

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It's also possible that divisional hate for the Eagles carries over into hockey.
I agree 100%. Haha, you don't know how much I hate the Eagles. Especially after hearing a Eagle fan brag since middle school. I would die before I root for the Eagles.

CaptainAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Flyers93

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica View Post
I agree 100%. Haha, you don't know how much I hate the Eagles. Especially after hearing a Eagle fan brag since middle school. I would die before I root for the Eagles.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES BABY!!

Just jokes, but I'd rather die before I root for the Giants, Cowboys, Redskins so it goes both way.

Flyers93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:32 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Quote:
It's also possible that divisional hate for the Eagles carries over into hockey.
This. DC is a football city first, and the only team they hate more than the Eagles are the Cowboys. Growing up in NOVA there was a lot of hate about anything Philadelphia. My friends that are Caps fans mostly started watching more recently. They identify the Flyers as bad guys because they come from Philly.

For me personally, I see the Caps & Pens as the two big rivals (the Caps is a bias thing for me... otherwise I get shat on by friends). Then the Rangers & Habs. I really don't feel the hatred for the Devils that I did earlier this decade. I couldn't stand Scott Stevens. I like a lot of their fans on these boards too (which may be why I'm beginning to despise Montreal more and more).

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:37 PM
Flyers93

I'm sure Canadian Flyer fans on here like Charlie Girl and Woof and others would agree that we ALWAYS enjoy beating the Leafs or Habs, no matter how good or bad they may be, due to them being shoved down our throats constantly up here.

Old
01-20-2011, 11:45 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

When the Caps came into the NHL, before the third level was added, there were less than 17,000 seats in the Spectrum... By the time the Broad Street Bullies established themselves in Philly there were long waiting lists for Season Tickets and Season Ticket Holders were attending most of their game or were keeping them in family -- Upper Level seats were under $10.00 per game... maybe $8.50 or so -- and scalpers and ticket agencies were like masked men holding up the would be attendees... Best bet was to get a list of STHs who were friends or co-workers and wanted to sell off a handful of games; grab as many as you can... But I digress...

When Landover opened and seats were readily available an hour and a half away many shutout fans trekked down there to the Home away from home venue -- even had instant replays projected in the arena... never had that in the Spectrum in those days -- With Philly/South Jersey/Delaware fans going there in droves and transplants and DC Area local Flyers fans also attending, I would imagine the Capitals fans... few of them as there were... would dread the mass takeovers so many times per season -- less teams meant more games against each other.

That is my guess on one of the reasons the Flyers became bitter rivals to the Capitals Loyals.

... Personally, I always like the Capitals and enjoyed the games. At one point, when they were in the same Division, there was a nice rivalry and the games were always heated ones with many fights and outright brawls... I expected such games each Caps visit and I loved to hate Dale Hunter but always wanted him in O&B. When they reseated the Divisions this last time I wanted the Caps rather than the Pens who I never though were good rivals and the Flyers would handle at home quite easily and had looong winning streaks against in the past... With the 'New' NHL and the gift #1 draft choices they stumbled upon or were handed, the Pens became a huge rival and proved me wrong -- not unusual haha.

I respect the Capitals and was just telling my son after Tuesday game how I had to give the Capital Organization ans fans kudos for sticking with them for so long, right from early days of NHL Expansion... never coming close to losing them, IIRC, and supporting them... some loyal fans through thick and thin... come only lately with their rebirth as legit contenders.

I find it had to dislike the Capitals and their fans... let alone hate them... and with them no longer in the same Division. I no longer consider them big rivals... but love to meet them in the Postseason, although I respect them there and give them respect... I consider the Pens, Devils and Rangers the chief rivals... at one time long ago I considered the Islanders also; no more though... I consider the Habs and Bruins as distant rivals and the Leafs fans as fan rivals.

... Sorry for the long ramble.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:50 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
I actually briefly switched to the Skins after a year without a favorite NFL team after the Eagles signed Vick... But after they shafted McNabb and dissed him and insulted him as they did, I knew I could never stay with the Skins... I am back to being a fan without a team -- except for when I am a fan of the Eagles opponents 16+ times a Season.

Old
01-20-2011, 11:50 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Personally the teams I dislike the most in order are the Penguins and New Jersey. I actually kind of like the Rags a bit because I like Lundqvist, Avery, Dubinsky, and Callahan. Also even though I haven't seen him play for some reason I've decided I like Mats Zucarello.

I have a slight dislike for the Capitals, but I don't hate them or anything. If they were successful not at the expense of the Flyers I'd be happy for Caps fans.

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 01-21-2011 at 12:17 AM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:27 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
I actually briefly switched to the Skins after a year without a favorite NFL team after the Eagles signed Vick... But after they shafted McNabb and dissed him and insulted him as they did, I knew I could never stay with the Skins... I am back to being a fan without a team -- except for when I am a fan of the Eagles opponents 16+ times a Season.
So I'm not the only one. Hooray!!! I gotta say, it's been interesting watching football with no bias. I find I watch it with a much more analytical eye. Not to mention, I may live a year or two longer from not stressing for 3 hours every Sunday in the winter.

Back on topic:
For me it goes
1a. Devils
1b. Pens
2. Everyone else.

Funny thing, up until this past June my second favorite team was the Blackhawks (Thank you SEGA Genesis and NHL 93).

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:07 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Since the Lindros era, I've always believed the biggest rivals were the Devils and Penguins. Playoff series build true rivalries and there just haven't been enough against Washington.

My personal most-hated team is Toronto, though, given how I was inundated with constant chatter of the greatest franchise of all time while I was growing up in Kingston.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 03:07 AM
CTU2fan

I actually kind of like the Caps. I'm not sure about anyone else, but the Caps/Pens rivalry is a big part of the reason...I hate the Pens, so if the Caps & Pens play in the playoffs I'm rooting hard for the Caps. It's somewhat of a rivalry because the Flyers and Caps are both good clubs right now, but I don't have the dislike for them that I do the Pens and Rags.

Now back in the Dale Hunter/Kevin Hatcher days, yea then I hated them.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 03:19 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Pens
Devils
Rangers
Habs
Bruins

Caps aren't really even on my list. Living in Caps country has been weird, the intense hatred for Philly always catches me off guard. When I told my family in PA about it, their response was "what?"
Yea, pretty much this for me too. I don't dislike the caps at all.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:02 AM
mja
Negative Creep

I've been a fan since the mid 80's.

I would consider our historic rivals to be:

1) Rangers
2) Devils
3) Pens
4) Caps

So, 4th, behind the big three. There were other teams I've hated more than the Caps (and even the Pens) during short time periods. I hated the Oilers as a kid. I've hated the Leafs/Sens/Sabres when we kept running into those teams in the playoffs. Another playoff series vs. the Habs and they'll be there too.

All in all, I like the Caps though. If they won a cup, it wouldn't turn my stomach the way the thought of the other three winning a cup turns my stomach.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:08 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Pens number 1 for me lately as they have been the most competitive and have knocked us out of the playoffs twice.

Everyone wants to be our "rival"

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 07:17 AM
Cleary84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Everyone wants to be our "rival"
Kinda feels awesome.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 07:19 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
I wish I still hated the Rags and Debbies as much as I used to, but I really can't. The rivalry just hasn't been as heated in the past couple seasons. I think I might actually hate the Habs and Bruins more now. Which is odd because at one time or another, I've actually liked both teams.

The Pens are still my most hated team, though.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 07:28 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

1 - Pens
2 - Debs
3 - Habs (I'm Biased since I live here)
4 - Rags
5 - Islanders

For the caps to be a rivalry there needs to be another intense series.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:31 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers93 View Post
I'm sure Canadian Flyer fans on here like Charlie Girl and Woof and others would agree that we ALWAYS enjoy beating the Leafs or Habs, no matter how good or bad they may be, due to them being shoved down our throats constantly up here.
Yep. Any Canadian team really. Not the Habs as much, but I love when the Flyers beat the Leafs. Living near the centre of the hockey universe (just ask 'em, they'll tell you) and hearing nothing but Leafs every day will do that.

Kinda fun listening to the radio this morning about how dismal the Sens are and how they got hammered last night, courtesy of the Flyers.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Flyers93

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Yep. Any Canadian team really. Not the Habs as much, but I love when the Flyers beat the Leafs. Living near the centre of the hockey universe (just ask 'em, they'll tell you) and hearing nothing but Leafs every day will do that.

Kinda fun listening to the radio this morning about how dismal the Sens are and how they got hammered last night, courtesy of the Flyers.
Agreed with any Canadian team. Currently, I get more of a kick out of beating Montreal than Toronto. Next season when the Flyers come out and play the Alberta teams I plan on going with friends of mine who like the Oil and Flames and wearing my Flyer gear with pride in both rinks, should be a fun time.

Old
01-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Spav1789

1a. Debs
1b. Pens
2. Rags
3. Habs
4. Broons
5. Capitals?

They're fun games, but its not something I get really heated about like I do the top 3

Spav1789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
What teams do you guys hate the most and where do the Caps fall in these rankings? From a Caps perspective the Flyers are probably our second most hated rivals after the Pens.
1. Rangers
2. Pens
3. Rangers
4. Devils
5. Rangers
6. Boston
7. Rangers
8. The beagles, always have and always will hate that ****ing team

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The Caps are like where the Penguins were before the lockout.
I concur. The Penguins were never real rivals in my lifetime (there was a brief bout in 89 or so) until after the lock out. Apparently, to Pen fans, the Flyers have always been their main rival.

The Caps were rivals in the mid 80s because they were one of the top teams in the NHL and a threat to the Flyers in conference. They beat the Flyers in the 88 playoffs, but then after that, the Caps remained decent and the Flyers tanked for a while.

After the Flyers returned from the depths of the NHL, the Devils became chief rivals for the Flyers, although this was mainly from a Flyers perspective as the Devils hated the Rangers more and the Flyers never beat the Devils when it mattered until 04.

The Rangers have always been rivals though, as far back as I can remember, as well as the Candiens to a degree, and the Islanders back in the early and mid 80s.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
What does the Eagles fan brag about? The fact that we are 0-2 in Superbowls and the Skins have won 3 times? I don't think Eagle bragging would mean that much under those circumstances.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:57 PM
RU Flyerfan

1a. Devils
1b. Penguins
3. Rangers
4. Canadiens
5. Maple Leafs
6. Bruins
7. Capitals

On another note, I actually haven't really ever had too much of a problem with the Islanders. I wouldn't mind having them become better and see the Devils get worse. They had a dynasty at one point and shouldn't have to move.

RU Flyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
I actually kind of like the Caps. I'm not sure about anyone else, but the Caps/Pens rivalry is a big part of the reason...I hate the Pens, so if the Caps & Pens play in the playoffs I'm rooting hard for the Caps. It's somewhat of a rivalry because the Flyers and Caps are both good clubs right now, but I don't have the dislike for them that I do the Pens and Rags.

Now back in the Dale Hunter/Kevin Hatcher days, yea then I hated them.
Same. I rooted for the Caps pretty hard in the winter classic.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 05:52 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I concur. The Penguins were never real rivals in my lifetime (there was a brief bout in 89 or so) until after the lock out. Apparently, to Pen fans, the Flyers have always been their main rival.

The Caps were rivals in the mid 80s because they were one of the top teams in the NHL and a threat to the Flyers in conference. They beat the Flyers in the 88 playoffs, but then after that, the Caps remained decent and the Flyers tanked for a while.

After the Flyers returned from the depths of the NHL, the Devils became chief rivals for the Flyers, although this was mainly from a Flyers perspective as the Devils hated the Rangers more and the Flyers never beat the Devils when it mattered until 04.

The Rangers have always been rivals though, as far back as I can remember, as well as the Candiens to a degree, and the Islanders back in the early and mid 80s.
IMO, the Penguins fans in Pittsburgh have always considered the Flyers their chief rival because they see Philadelphia as the City that is stealing everything from Pittsburgh.

They resent our status as cities in Pennsylvania and our importance over theirs in the Country and World... They resent what we receive from the State and how we make them feel like a second class city.

Imagine all that is said about the envy Philly feels for NYC and magnify that.

Add to that all the years that the Flyers beat them soundly... a how they couldn't buy a win in the Spectrum no matter what they did.

Needless to say, Pens fans do not agree with me.