HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should we claim Nabokov?

Old
01-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
He's already signed. If he's claimed, he can't "refuse to report." He has very little say in the matter, at this point.
No, he can refuse to report. However by doing so he'd be suspended without pay and sit out the remainder of the season...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:21 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
No, he can refuse to report. However by doing so he'd be suspended without pay and sit out the remainder of the season...
Essentially, the Radulov situation all over again.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
No we shouldn't. I don't believe Lindback has hit a wall and is not playing well. There are really only two games that he has put up bad numbers and one was the LA game where we had 6 goals on us and I think Rinne wouldn't have been able to stop those. The Chicago game was bad, but one bad game for a 22 year old rookie goalie is going to happen and it wasn't his fault for the lose.

The other reason is team chemistry, having two goalies that play a similar style helps the defense out. And Lindback obviously fits in the locker room, adding a Nabakov who wants to start and would sulk would be a bad idea.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:29 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
That's what I meant...I'm just saying he can't nullify his contract and wait for something better, or soak up payroll while not playing.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:56 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

To be honest, I do not believe claiming him even makes us better. Nabokov couldn't even compete in the KHL, not to mention he couldn't find an NHL job 6 months ago. Lindback knows the system and the players. I hate to stereotype, but we don't have good luck with Russians.

On the other hand, it's almost one of those situations that you have to put in a claim. But I still wouldn't.

It's very unlikely that he'll make it to us though. I really hope Poile lets us know after the fact if he put in a claim. I'm very curious. He probably wouldn't say and that would be for the best, truthfully.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:15 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
To be honest, I do not believe claiming him even makes us better. Nabokov couldn't even compete in the KHL, not to mention he couldn't find an NHL job 6 months ago. Lindback knows the system and the players. I hate to stereotype, but we don't have good luck with Russians.

On the other hand, it's almost one of those situations that you have to put in a claim. But I still wouldn't.

It's very unlikely that he'll make it to us though. I really hope Poile lets us know after the fact if he put in a claim. I'm very curious. He probably wouldn't say and that would be for the best, truthfully.
He absolutely wouldn't say. If he did and we didn't get him...no harm, no foul...not putting bad mojo out for Detroit to see, nor are you sending any sort of "we tried to replace you" message to Lindback.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:19 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
No we shouldn't. I don't believe Lindback has hit a wall and is not playing well. There are really only two games that he has put up bad numbers and one was the LA game where we had 6 goals on us and I think Rinne wouldn't have been able to stop those. The Chicago game was bad, but one bad game for a 22 year old rookie goalie is going to happen and it wasn't his fault for the lose.

The other reason is team chemistry, having two goalies that play a similar style helps the defense out. And Lindback obviously fits in the locker room, adding a Nabakov who wants to start and would sulk would be a bad idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post

My argument against these viewpoints is

1. Yes, I do think Lindback has played a over his head to this point but I don't think he has played bad. The bottom line is he still is a 22 year old rookie who is playing his first season in NA. Would you not feel my comfortable with Nabakov than Lindback long term if God forbid Peks went down?

2. The reason he couldn't find an NHL job was likely he was asking for too much and the market was flooded with cheaper goaltenders this summer. His performance in the KHL? Meh, he certainly isn't the first or last quality NHL player to go there and play mediocre. I would imagine a lot of these players simply sign over there for the money and could care less about giving a full effort. I mean just imagine from playing in the best league in the world making 6 million a year and all the perks that come with playing in the NHL and then playing in the KHL the next season. Let's be honest, compared to the NHL, the KHL probably feels like rec league for a lot of these guys. It's like going from Marisa Miller to Rosie O'Donnel.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:51 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

If the Preds were to claim and win, it would give the Preds a viable backup who has experience. Lindback is good for a rookie but not Roy. Rinne is going to get the majority of starts anyway and if the claim goes through, the Preds can recall Lindback if there is a long term injury to Rinne.

Also the Preds are 3 wins back of the Wings. Yes, you damn right we are going to screw the Wings.

If the Preds think they can beat Nabby like bread dough then don't make the claim.

But the fact is Nabby will be claimed by someone else.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
My argument against these viewpoints is

1. Yes, I do think Lindback has played a over his head to this point but I don't think he has played bad. The bottom line is he still is a 22 year old rookie who is playing his first season in NA. Would you not feel my comfortable with Nabakov than Lindback long term if God forbid Peks went down?
No I would not. We said we would be screwed if Rinne was hurt for any length of time and Lindback came and played well and won games. The fact is Rinne is usually durable and dealt with the same injury this year both times he was out and had surgery and is playing great. I would rather let things be right now than get Nabokov.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 11:36 AM
token grinder

I think Nabakov makes detroit worse...

however, howard is a UFA I think and this could be a precursor to Howard demanding a 3-4 million dollar contract since he was good last year and could win enough games this year to get that on the open market.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 11:45 AM
predfan24

Lindback has won games but the sample size is very small. I can't seriously assume Poile, Trotz and Co. would be comfortable with him heading into the playoffs if he was the primary starter. I like Lindback. He has shown he is a great prospect. But he still is a prospect and a rookie playing his first season in NA. If he was the primary starter there would be ups and downs. We would need a steadier goaltender for this year.

I think some of you are forgetting how solid of a goalie Nabakov is. As 101 said claiming Nabakov would be zero risk financially as you send Lindback down. We would actually be saving money. Lindback actually gets to play and work on his craft in the AHL. You keep a good goalie away from the DRW. I don't see what the downside is. In reality though all this talk is likely irrelevant as there is no way Nabakov makes it to us.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
He absolutely wouldn't say. If he did and we didn't get him...no harm, no foul...not putting bad mojo out for Detroit to see, nor are you sending any sort of "we tried to replace you" message to Lindback.
Well, if he did not put in a claim, I would some-what expect him to say so. If he did put in a claim, I would not expect him to.

Old
01-21-2011, 02:29 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67coach View Post
Firstly, Nabby's agent has made it very clear, he is not going to sign with any team as a "Backup", he wants a chance to play for the starting job.

Second, it is a shame that you think your team makes decision based on making the Red WIngs worse and not based on making your team better
well first, Nabby HAS signed, or he wouldnt be on waivers... whether or not he would be the starter in detroit, or whether he will choose not to report if he is claimed by a team he doesnt want to play for is yet to be determined, but he most definitely is "signed"

second, we didnt say that the decision was made because it would make detroit worse.... thats just a nice bonus!

edit: just realized all this got said by others before me.... d'oh..

Last edited by PredsV82: 01-21-2011 at 02:41 PM.
PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:06 PM
glenngineer

Nabokov didn't play poorly in the KHL, he wanted to be back closer to his family here in the states, that's why he was allowed out of his contract over there.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:34 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Nabokov didn't play poorly in the KHL, he wanted to be back closer to his family here in the states, that's why he was allowed out of his contract over there.
I didn't get a chance to see any of his games in the KHL, but he did post his worst stats since 05-06 over there. .888 SV% and 3.02 GAA. I did a quick comparison of his stats versus other KHL goalies, and KHL goalies versus NHL goalies. If numbers tell the true story here he was freakin' brutal in Russia.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 05:05 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Why? Rinne is playing awesome! And rumors are swirling that teams are calling about Backs. (Which is a good thing!) Lets keep Peks and Backs!

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 07:23 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I didn't get a chance to see any of his games in the KHL, but he did post his worst stats since 05-06 over there. .888 SV% and 3.02 GAA. I did a quick comparison of his stats versus other KHL goalies, and KHL goalies versus NHL goalies. If numbers tell the true story here he was freakin' brutal in Russia.
Still, the reason he was let go was he wanted to be with his family. When he signed his contract, his family stayed in the states. He didn't want that in his life. He asked to be let go and they obliged.

Granted, his stats look bad but did you take into account the team he was playing on? I have no idea what the KHL is like and what the teams are but if he's got a poor team in front of him, he could be suffering because of it as well. Much like Brodeur in NJ this year, I'd still take him if given the opportunity.

Old
01-22-2011, 05:10 AM
Armia

Quote:
Still, the reason he was let go was he wanted to be with his family. When he signed his contract, his family stayed in the states. He didn't want that in his life. He asked to be let go and they obliged.

Granted, his stats look bad but did you take into account the team he was playing on? I have no idea what the KHL is like and what the teams are but if he's got a poor team in front of him, he could be suffering because of it as well. Much like Brodeur in NJ this year, I'd still take him if given the opportunity.
He was playing for the St Petersbug Ska, and that is one of the richest and best teams in the KHL (they even offered for Kovalchuk). They have guys like arthuykin, afinogenov, peter prucha, mattias weinhandl... the list goes on.

I live in finland and I watch quit a lot of KHL. Nabokov just sucked, team played pretty well. He just looked like that he didnt care much. So I bet his poor play was just because of lack of motivation.

Armia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Bad Karma

I can buy that, it seems for most the KHL just isn't what they thought it would be.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:07 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Islanders put in a claim with DiPietro's fragility or Edmonton with the performance of their goaltenders. I just don't see how he gets through waivers at that price. It actually would save us cap space to claim him and send Lindback down.
Winner!!!

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:07 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

multiple sources reporting Isles claim nabby

Old
01-22-2011, 11:35 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Winner!!!
*Just bows to 101*

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:15 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

now being reported that Nabby wont report to the Isles. Will be interesting to see if they just suspend him and let him sit out for the rest of the year or if they are kind and put him back on the waiver wire..

Old
01-22-2011, 02:29 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
now being reported that Nabby wont report to the Isles. Will be interesting to see if they just suspend him and let him sit out for the rest of the year or if they are kind and put him back on the waiver wire..
I hope they let him sit out. He knew the risk of signing and not necessarily going to Detroit. Life sucks. These guys are prima donnas and this is part of the system. What would be funny is if every team put a claim on him and dragged this out for weeks. That would be funny too.

Old
01-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
I hope they let him sit out. He knew the risk of signing and not necessarily going to Detroit. Life sucks. These guys are prima donnas and this is part of the system. What would be funny is if every team put a claim on him and dragged this out for weeks. That would be funny too.
Amen. Nabokov needs to man up and earn his way back into the league.