Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames Fan Forum

Old
01-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Padlock

vCash: 500
Flames Fan Forum

Just making sure everyone knows this is being streamed on the Flames website right now. Started at 6:30

Padlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 08:26 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 08:28 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
just started watchin 10 mins ago, already very impressed with Feaster's responses.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 08:37 PM
TheDoctor10
Bigger on the inside

I wonder what player he's talking about in Tampa...

TheDoctor10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 08:40 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I wonder what player he's talking about in Tampa...
exactly what i was thinking?

Old
01-20-2011, 08:41 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

It's been pretty good so far. I like the fact that Feaster doesn't plan on making deals just for the sake of it, he's actually going to identify and target players who he feels can help us.

Old
01-20-2011, 08:42 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
It's been pretty good so far. I like the fact that Feaster doesn't plan on making deals just for the sake of it, he's actually going to identify and target players who he feels can help us.
this, along with improving speed and toughness. Also loved how he wants more emotion from the team..

Old
01-20-2011, 09:03 PM
TheDoctor10
Bigger on the inside

If you're impressed with what Backlund has done this year, play him more than five minutes a night. The guy is an NHL centre with above average vision. He's set up two of the Flames' prettiest goals all year; stick him with Iggy and Tangs for a week and a half and see what happens.

Old
01-20-2011, 09:05 PM
TheDoctor10
Bigger on the inside

'No players within the organization are off-limits' READ If you can get Brayden Schenn + out of LA, effin' do it

Old
01-20-2011, 09:26 PM
Padlock

Every single one of kk's statements are packaged, bs answers. He talks and talks in circles and never really answers anything.

Padlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 09:41 PM
TheDoctor10
Bigger on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padlock View Post
Every single one of kk's statements are packaged, bs answers. He talks and talks in circles and never really answers anything.
Feaster impressed the hell outta me though.

Old
01-20-2011, 09:46 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:

He sure knows the right things to say. Let's just hope he follows through with it.

Old
01-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Grannys

Missed it. What else did he have to say?

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 12:15 AM
saillias

vCash: 50
I had no idea about this. I hope it can be viewed somewhere.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:46 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1508
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
He sure knows the right things to say. Let's just hope he follows through with it.
Lawyered.

IMO the proof is in the pudding. Lets see how he performs at the deadline.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 07:12 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Lawyered.

IMO the proof is in the pudding. Lets see how he performs at the deadline.
exactly

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 12:48 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerone View Post
Missed it. What else did he have to say?
I didn't catch it all, but here are some main points i heard;

-He want's more passion, and more entertainment
-He is not scared to buy-out or waive players, no matter who they are
-He plans on improving speed and toughness
-He likes how Backlunds developing, but he needs to keep his level up play up every game
-He thinks Sutter is a great coach
-Ken King admitted to messing up on the Cammy situation
-He wants to bring a stanley cup to Calgary, that's why he moved there

Quote:
While some questions did revolve around the Flames 2010-11 campaign, the majority of inquires were about the team's future.

Feaster was adament in his philosophy that the team needs to identify the players it wants to grow around and build around that group.

"We have to be very, very honest in evaluating who our core players are," Feaster told the crowd. "I think that the strength of the hockey club - and maybe he hasn't shown it necessarily of late - is that we have a world class goaltender in Kipper.

I think that three of our defencemen are as any three of a top four in the league in Regeher and Bouwmeester and Giordano ... And obviously at the same time, you have a player like Jarome."

Questions surrounding possibly trading the Flames captain were quelled by both Feaster and King, saying the organization believes structuring the team around their current leader was the best way to move forward.

"When we put the right pieces around him, he is still an elite player at a high enough level that he'll be part of it when we win."

The Abbotsford Heat, who are currently sitting 12th in the Western Conference of the American Hockey League, were also a hot topic.

"We like to say that the cupboards are bare and there is no one in the pipeline," Feaster smiled. "I don't believe that is true. One player who may have seen quite of a bit of recently because he played in the World Juniors, Tim Erixon, the defenceman - that is a guy we think is knocking on the door in terms of being NHL-ready.

"Our plan is to get him signed this summer."

Feaster also pointed out another player who could potentially have a major impact on the defence corps in coming years.

"When you look at T.J. Brodie, another player who had a great start with us, and then kind of disappointed for a little bit. He went to the American League and I think that because he had success on a limited run at the NHL level, that he didn't have to respect that league.

"The American Hockey League is a very good league and you see a lot of players make that mistake, that they don't respect it the way they need to. Brent and I just went in to see the team play in Abbotsford a couple of weeks ago ... T.J. has taken some strides. He's much better than he was when he was first assigned there."

Feaster also singled out forwards Lance Bouma and Greg Nemisz as possible callups this season due to their growth this year.

Feaster's first big test in his new role will be on Feb. 28, the NHL trade deadline. When asked if he was planning on making headlines like his predecessor Darryl Sutter, he could only laugh.

"Either way, we'll make headlines. I promise you that. Because if nothing happens, that will be the headline - 'Feaster Does Nothing, Rome Burns.'", he smiled. "In terms of how I see it going, we're going to be active. I'm active right now."

Does he feel pressured to wait until the trade deadline to make moves?

"Absolutely not," he stated. "If there were deals to be done right now that improved our hockey club, we'd do them. We're going to continue to look at those and continue to monitor where we are in the standings, relative to the playoff race, and we'll make decisions based on those things."

In his role as the general manager in Tampa Bay, Feaster's best draft acquisition is undoubtedly Steven Stamkos. The 20 year-old is lighting it up in Florida with 37 goals and 65 points, just a single point behind NHL scoring leader Sidney Crosby.

However, not all of his draft picks during his tenure in Tampa have panned out and fans were curious as to his philosophy in this year's entry draft.

"It's not so much position as much as it is priority," was his response when asked if he would be choosing players based on their overall skill or the position they play. "What I would to the scouts is that if it's a tie, if you can't necessarily tell me that player A is better is player B, then why don't we look at wherever we have the weakness.

"But certainly we're not going to go off the board and say 'Well, we really need someone at center ice, there are three great defencemen stlll on the board and we'll pass on them because we have defence.' We'll take the best player that's still there and on our list."
Quote:
"I want to bring a Stanley Cup to Calgary. That's why I came here with my family. I hope you'll take the ride with us." ~ Jay Feaster
He really impressed me, and is starting to win me over, BUT i will not hold final judgment until i see something actually done, afterall he is a lawyer.