HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What about Jagr?

Old
01-21-2011, 10:53 AM
livewell68

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Challenge for the scoring lead?

There's a reason why he plays hard at the Olympics and WC. Every game matters there. Of course he is going to go hard. You really think on a cold Jan morning he's going to wake up ready to give 100% that night?

Are you Jagr?

Do you know that he wouldn't be able to give his 100% on a cold January day?

Do you forget he plays in Siberia where it is colder than North America?

Jagr is still in very good shape and if guys like Selanne and Recchi can still produce then Jagr who is a superior athlete can for sure.

He might not have the speed he once had but he does have the size, strength, shooting, vision, passing and stickhandling that can make him productive until his early 40's.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Shaun
All Aboard

Jagr was one of my favorite players growing up. I wish he would come back and play for the Bruins

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:36 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Jagr was one of my favorite players growing up. I wish he would come back and play for the Bruins
I could honestly say that if Jagr comes back I can see him playing for 2 franchises. Too much has changed in New York and he won't want to go there.

Pittsburgh for obvious reasons and Edmonton for the Hemsky and Tom Renney connection.

Tom Renney helped Jagr re-establish himself as the league's elite player and so they have great chemistry and a great player-coach relationship.

Imagine playing for a second team which Gretzky and Messier played for?

Old
01-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukboy5kroner View Post
He's going to Edmonton to win a cup.
4 year deal

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:02 PM
vecens24

First off, Jagr would defintiely still be a legit top 6 guy in the NHL. There is no doubt about that. Would he be able to do it for 82 games? Maybe not. But the guy is one of (in my opinion) the 30 best players to lace them up ever. At 38 he could still be a very dangerous scoring option for any team.

I'd take him on my Pens any day of the week. It's a lot of wishful thinking for that to happen though so I'm just goign to sadly say that I wish it will happen and know that he'll never lace them up for the Pens again and get the standing ovation from the fans he so richly deserves.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Puckgenius*

I would love to see Jagr in a Pens uni again. Hes been out of the NHL for 3 seasons now and isnt even officially retired lol.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Puckgenius*

Just imagine if he signed with Washington, would love to see this.

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Jagr

WOW this line would be unstoppable

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:19 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
First off, Jagr would defintiely still be a legit top 6 guy in the NHL. There is no doubt about that. Would he be able to do it for 82 games? Maybe not. But the guy is one of (in my opinion) the 30 best players to lace them up ever. At 38 he could still be a very dangerous scoring option for any team.

I'd take him on my Pens any day of the week. It's a lot of wishful thinking for that to happen though so I'm just goign to sadly say that I wish it will happen and know that he'll never lace them up for the Pens again and get the standing ovation from the fans he so richly deserves.
I think Jagr will come back and play for the Penguins. The Penguins still have Crosby but I think Malkin is on the way out and their depth at the wing position is very poor and could use Jagr.

I think Jagr in all honesty could still be a 80-95 Pts player in the NHL and be able to play well on a nightly basis.

Jagr's last season with the Rangers is very hard to use as judgement as to how he could still play because there were a lot of chemistry issues that season with Drury and Gomez and Jagr did not get a regular centerman until late in the season when he was finally paired with Dubinsky and that proved to be their best line down the stretch.

We shouldn't forget that the previous season (2006-07) at age 36 Jagr still put up 96 Pts with a reconstructed shoulder.

Also in 2007-08 following a poor season (in Jagr's standards) he put up 15 Pts in just 10 games in the playoffs and led the playoffs in PPG and was the leading scorer through 2 rounds.

He still had some life in him.

Also the Olympics is another weird assessment because he played like the Jagr of old until the hit from Ovechkin, and even after the hit Jagr still continued playing and was setting up numerous scoring chances. He missed the next game however and it was learned he had suffered a strained neck and back and that is why he performed poorly at the end of the tournament; not because Jagr couldn't perform at a high level anymore.

The KHL is more about skating and so Jagr has had to shed some weight and is back to 228 lbs, the weight at which he was at his best in his career when he was in Pittsburgh.

Some Russian hockey analysts say that Jagr has turned back the clock a good 10 years on his skating and happens to be faster than he was even in the 2005-06 when he scored 123 Pts.

Old
01-21-2011, 02:20 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Jagr

Mark my words, Jagr is more likely to play for the Atlanta Thrashers than he is to play for Washington.

The hate is mutual as Jagr doesn't like Washington just as much as Washington doesn't like Jagr.

Old
01-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Jagr

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:07 PM
mpp9

Malkin with jagr would be a great tandem. Both playmakers who can snipe and skate with the best of them. If I were jagr Id definitely want to come back and end his career being the reason for getting malkin back on track and obviously win another cup with the pens. If he leaves the khl hed be an idiot not to do that unless shero just doesnt want the distraction and feels he will fill malkins winger void in the offseason.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:27 PM
SEALBound

When he's ready to retire, he takes one last crack at the Cup. $500,000 min, ala Comrie like deal.

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis/Letestu
Tangradi - Malkin - Jagr
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Winger - Letestu/Jeffery - Winger

Wingers = Conner, Jeffery, Talbot, Asham, Rupp, etc etc

I don't think Crosby - Jagr would be as successful as Malkin - Jagr.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

I can't see Jagr wanting to play second fiddle to anyone, I don't think he'd want to come back to Pittsburgh.

I know he's made some comments, but he has a tendency to talk a lot without really thinking about what he's saying.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 05:17 PM
mpp9

Jagr would be playing with one of the best players in the world. Hed get his attention by being the guy to create space for malkin and would possibly have a ppg pace to pad his stats and obviously have another shot at the cup. Hed be playing second fiddle on any team at this point but hed have the best opportunity to retire as an elite player on an elite team. Hes made his money so im betting hes after one great year before hes done.

Old
01-21-2011, 05:27 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Jagr would be playing with one of the best players in the world. Hed get his attention by being the guy to create space for malkin and would possibly have a ppg pace to pad his stats and obviously have another shot at the cup. Hed be playing second fiddle on any team at this point but hed have the best opportunity to retire as an elite player on an elite team. Hes made his money so im betting hes after one great year before hes done.
Jagr doesn't want any of that. He wants to be paid. He likes money.

Sometimes I wonder if people remember anything about Jagr at all (not you necessarily, but a lot of people).

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 05:42 PM
BeastoftheEast85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukboy5kroner View Post
He's going to Edmonton to win a cup.
I don't think he is built to play into his 50s and 60s.

BeastoftheEast85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:03 PM
mti79

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Jagr doesn't want any of that. He wants to be paid. He likes money.

Sometimes I wonder if people remember anything about Jagr at all (not you necessarily, but a lot of people).
Bingo... Jagr has said that he thinks placement on the team is directly related to salary... I don't see him coming back to the NHL on a small contract like some of these guys just to be in the league. He may have just said, "enough, I'm going home." Or closer to home as the case may be.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:31 PM
mpp9

Hes made his money. He knows he wouldnt get a big contract coming back to the nhl which is why he left for the khl to begin with. Hed leave avangard for his ego and pad his stats/fame which would all be accomplished in pittsburgh.

Old
01-21-2011, 06:32 PM
mvp76

Jagr was so fun to watch..one of my fav's. I just want him to come back in any situation. He was a force and still can be

mvp76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Shaun
All Aboard

I want him to come back so he can get 1 point and not be stuck at 1599.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

“I was thinking about it and if Mario would call me and say, ‘I’d like you to play for our team,’ I would think about it a lot,” Jagr said in a telephone interview from Moscow where the Kontinental League will hold its inaugural All-Star Game outdoors at Red Square Saturday. “I would play for the minimum salary. I would play for $350,000 just for him because I owe him my hockey life. I want to pay him back because he has made me what I am... besides my parents.”

i would still like to take him up on that offer. sign him to a one year deal. he'll either be spectacular with Sid and Geno or he'll be old and useless. and in that case, just waive him.

Last edited by Jesus Vitale: 01-21-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Jesus Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 11:07 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9
Hes made his money. He knows he wouldnt get a big contract coming back to the nhl which is why he left for the khl to begin with. Hed leave avangard for his ego and pad his stats/fame which would all be accomplished in pittsburgh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyPierroZabotel17 View Post
“I was thinking about it and if Mario would call me and say, ‘I’d like you to play for our team,’ I would think about it a lot,” Jagr said in a telephone interview from Moscow where the Kontinental League will hold its inaugural All-Star Game outdoors at Red Square Saturday. “I would play for the minimum salary. I would play for $350,000 just for him because I owe him my hockey life. I want to pay him back because he has made me what I am... besides my parents.”

i would still like to take him up on that offer. sign him to a one year deal. he'll either be spectacular with Sid and Geno or he'll be old and useless. and in that case, just waive him.
I'm sorry, but you're both misjudging/misremembering Jagr seriously here. This is a guy who once said; "I don't need any more rings. I just need beaches, money, and girls." He's made his money? Says who? Certainly not Jagr who's been perfectly happy to put pen to paper on more than one lucrative contract with Avangard Omsk.

And in the second instance, come on. The connection between Jagr's brain and Jagr's mouth is spotty at the best of times. And you also left out a critical part of the oft-cited quote:

"But he doesn't need me. He has good players there."

He's so often got that little qualifying statement in what he says that gives him the option of having his cake and eating it too.

If he wanted to be in the NHL, in Pittsburgh making a comparative pittance, thats what he'd be doing. In Avangard, there are conflicting reports, but from what I gather he's making something in the vicinity of 8-12 million annually, he's one of the higher-paid, marquee players both on his team and in the league. He's in the spotlight. And as anyone who followed Jagr for more than half an hour during his NHL days will tell you, thats just the way he likes it.

And good for him. He can earn every last cent he wants to for all I care, good luck to any athlete who even at Jagr's age can command that much money.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 11:30 PM
BigAndy32

All I want is to see the Jagr "Salute" one more time in a pens uniform.

God would the crowd ever cheer?

BigAndy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:06 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
I'm sorry, but you're both misjudging/misremembering Jagr seriously here. This is a guy who once said; "I don't need any more rings. I just need beaches, money, and girls." He's made his money? Says who? Certainly not Jagr who's been perfectly happy to put pen to paper on more than one lucrative contract with Avangard Omsk.

And in the second instance, come on. The connection between Jagr's brain and Jagr's mouth is spotty at the best of times. And you also left out a critical part of the oft-cited quote:

"But he doesn't need me. He has good players there."

He's so often got that little qualifying statement in what he says that gives him the option of having his cake and eating it too.

If he wanted to be in the NHL, in Pittsburgh making a comparative pittance, thats what he'd be doing. In Avangard, there are conflicting reports, but from what I gather he's making something in the vicinity of 8-12 million annually, he's one of the higher-paid, marquee players both on his team and in the league. He's in the spotlight. And as anyone who followed Jagr for more than half an hour during his NHL days will tell you, thats just the way he likes it.

And good for him. He can earn every last cent he wants to for all I care, good luck to any athlete who even at Jagr's age can command that much money.

Everyone realizes his ego and what he commands in pay but if he would ever leave the khl it would not be for money because no nhl team could afford to come close to what he makes over in russia, tax free. If he's going to retire soon then I don't see it out of the realm of possibility that he tries to end his career where it began. He's signing one year contracts for a reason with avangard. He's keeping his options open. If he just wanted to make more money he'd sign some ridiculous contract to play well into his 40's and be done with it. All I'm saying is it'd be a dream come true for pens fans and for management. He could still very well be a 30 goal scorer playing with elite talent. The last few seasons with the rangers he played a string of seasons without missing a game so if he can still retain that type of health it's a win win for any team that could grab him. A kid can dream.

Old
01-22-2011, 02:14 AM
TheStranger

Jagr - Duchene - Forsberg

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote