HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

J.P. Dumont is finding his groove

Old
01-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Doyle

vCash: 500
J.P. Dumont is finding his groove

Dumont has probably been the most disappointing Predator but Tyler Davis chooses to see the glass half full...

http://nhlhotstove.com/j-p-dumont-is...ng-his-groove/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

IMO, Dumont was never really playing that bad this year. It wasn't showing up the the scoreboard, but now that he has decent linemates and ice time, he is producing. Yeah, he slumped a little bit, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I really admire JP's work ethic and loyalty. Most players of his caliber would mope and complain about getting demoted, but JP just worked harder.

I think him playing with the youngsters, Mueller and Halischuk, is doing wonders for them.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 11:41 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
IMO, Dumont was never really playing that bad this year. It wasn't showing up the the scoreboard,
100% Disagree. He wasn't skating without the puck. Hey, he wasn't even skating WITH the puck. He was struggling to clear the zone. He was shying away from hits, he REALLY WAS looking pass first. I'm glad he has found his game. He has great vision, he just needs to use his legs to get to those areas to make the plays.

Trotz wouldn't just minimize his minutes for no reason.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
100% Disagree. He wasn't skating without the puck. Hey, he wasn't even skating WITH the puck. He was struggling to clear the zone. He was shying away from hits, he REALLY WAS looking pass first. I'm glad he has found his game. He has great vision, he just needs to use his legs to get to those areas to make the plays.

Trotz wouldn't just minimize his minutes for no reason.
But his minutes were minimized before the season even started. It wasn't because of his play this year. He started the year on the 4th line.

Old
01-21-2011, 02:38 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
But his minutes were minimized before the season even started. It wasn't because of his play this year. He started the year on the 4th line.
training camp, practice, pre-season, practice, and more practice before the season are usually pretty good indicators for a coach before a regular season game is ever played.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
training camp, practice, pre-season, practice, and more practice before the season are usually pretty good indicators for a coach before a regular season game is ever played.
No I mean before all that (I consider camp part of this season). He said JP was destined for the 4th line in June.

Old
01-21-2011, 04:07 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
What were our lines to start the year?

this is what I found in the Game 1 GDT:

Erat - Lombardi - Wilson
Sullivan - O'Reilly - Hornqvist
Ward - Legwand - Dumont
Smithson - Goc - Tootoo

from game 2 GDT

Sully - O'Reilly - Hornqvist
Wilson - Lombardi - Dumont
Smithson - Legwand - Ward
Belak - Goc - Tootoo

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 05:07 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

If you take his away his hat trick game. Has he REALLY been playing so great? I don't know.

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:13 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiralyPred View Post
If you take his away his hat trick game. Has he REALLY been playing so great? I don't know.
Have you been watching him the past week or so?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 07:08 PM
TMI
Global Moderator

Dumont has an intensity to his game that I haven't seen from him in a while. He isn't making anyone look over their shoulder for a big hit, but he never will. He has been driving the net, battling for pucks, and shooting when he has an open lane. All things he needs to do in order to get it done, and getting it done is what he's been doing lately.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Wine Cups

I remember the first time I saw him play for us. I believe it was the first game of his first season with us, but I'll not put money on it. Center ice face off, puck come to JP, he does this Charlie Chaplin shambling, I'm about to fall on my face thing with the puck all the way down to within 3 feet of the goalie with everyone kinda standing around looking at him, even the other teams D, they seemed mesmerized. Then he roofs it. Even the guy who blasts the big ol' "we got a goal" horn seemed to hesitate. I'm wondering, who the hell is this Dumont fella and where can we get another?

Wine Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:42 AM
cleangene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFrltvLm9hU, First game 06-07 season. First game, first shift as a PRED

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Wine Cups

Eh, close...my memories are bit more debonair!

But, thanks for looking that up and sharing! Its kinda like Jackie Chan and his Drunken dude kung fu. Looks sloppy but hey, whatever works.

Last edited by Wine Cups: 01-22-2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: adding thanks
Old
01-22-2011, 08:13 PM
OpenWheel

I like your version better, probably because I've seen a few "shambling" goals by Dumont, where you wonder how the dee let him get to a good spot with the puck even without any high speed moves. But that goal is nice.

Nice goal by "Hartnell" eh?

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:26 AM
Wine Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Nice goal by "Hartnell" eh?
?Hartnell? eh?

Old
01-23-2011, 02:26 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wine Cups View Post
?Hartnell? eh?
Doesn't the announcer say "Hartnell to the backhand! And they score!" when JP scores there? He realizes it's Dumont right after the goal.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 08:26 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Doesn't the announcer say "Hartnell to the backhand! And they score!" when JP scores there? He realizes it's Dumont right after the goal.
Yeah. Of course Dumont is 71 and Hartnell was 17, it happens.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 09:14 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

You know who I miss from that video. Timonen. He's the exact left handed d-man we need on the blue line right now. Good defensively. Great puck mover. Would compliment either Weber or Klein so well. If only we could've kept him our top 4 would be ridiculous.

Back to JP though, Mueller and Halischuk have given him new life. Much like when Sully was playing with O'Reilly and Hornqvist earlier in the year, these young kids are injecting live into JP's game. They do the dirty work, he finds the open space and is shooting the puck as opposed to trying to set anyone up. It's been working and I'm not going to question why.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 09:37 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
You know who I miss from that video. Timonen. He's the exact left handed d-man we need on the blue line right now. Good defensively. Great puck mover. Would compliment either Weber or Klein so well. If only we could've kept him our top 4 would be ridiculously overpaid.
FTFY

Kimmo is past his prime now and was never worth 8 mil a year.

if we could have kept him for around 4 mil per, and had it expire this year when we needed to pay Weber more, that would have rocked.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 09:45 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
FTFY

Kimmo is past his prime now and was never worth 8 mil a year.

if we could have kept him for around 4 mil per, and had it expire this year when we needed to pay Weber more, that would have rocked.
I agree. What he gets paid now is way too much but like you said, if the money was right, he would be a very nice fit with Klein. Much better than Bouillon. He would also give us a very good QB on the PP.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:35 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
You know who I miss from that video. Timonen. He's the exact left handed d-man we need on the blue line right now. Good defensively. Great puck mover. Would compliment either Weber or Klein so well. If only we could've kept him our top 4 would be ridiculous.

Back to JP though, Mueller and Halischuk have given him new life. Much like when Sully was playing with O'Reilly and Hornqvist earlier in the year, these young kids are injecting live into JP's game. They do the dirty work, he finds the open space and is shooting the puck as opposed to trying to set anyone up. It's been working and I'm not going to question why.

i said in another thread his enthusiasm on the ice with the kids reminded me of hull's renewed spirit when he was matched up with datsyuk and zetterburg, before they were held in high regard like they are today. just an old man playing a game with kids...

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:08 PM
codeyh

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Whatever it takes for JP to get it in gear, and out of Trotz's doghouse is fine by me.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote