HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Bernier

Old
01-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Kid_Roll

vCash: 500
Steve Bernier

Hey guys, Canucks fan here....

So I wanted to ask, now that it's been half a season, what do you guys think of Steve Bernier?

When we first got him, we all thought he was a power forward who just needed his shot at the top 6, and that he would bring that bruising net presence all teams desire. His first game with us, he was hitting everything in sight, going to the net, and he even got the crowd chanting his name (First and last time, haha).

After seeing him play, it became apparent his touch around the net was non-existent, he struggled to convert easy scoring chances, and his hitting, which used to be his strong suit, seemed to diminish (though this could be because of the weight loss plan Gillis put him on, it seemed when he lost weight, he lost a lot of impact on his hits.)

At the end, he became an average to below average 3rd liner, which no hopes of getting into the top 6. He was TERRIBLE on the PP.

Anyways, I am just wondering how he has played for you guys? Has he shown any signs of a scoring touch? Is he playing like a power forward? As a person he seemed like a nice guy, so I was hoping he would go on to make more of a name for himself on another team, so I was just interested in seeing what you guys think of him.

And to combine everything into one post, for those wondering about Keith Ballard (in case):

He hasn't been the top 4 d-men we had hoped he would be. He has struggled to get ice time under Alain Vigneault, and usually gets stuck as the 5th d-man on the team. He hasn't gotten much PP time, and has been inconsistent to say the least. Some nights he is a physical beast, and he turns on his jets and you can see the offence he can bring to the team, and other nights he struggles with decision making in his own zone and making pinches at the wrong time. It's hard to get a real read on him since he was injured coming into training camp, and hasn't had a chance to get into a groove. You can definitely see signs of a great player in him, but it remains to be seen if he will turn into that for us.

Either way, he at least brings the hip check, as he still nails people with that every 5 games or so.

Cheers!

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 08:12 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
Hey guys, Canucks fan here....

So I wanted to ask, now that it's been half a season, what do you guys think of Steve Bernier?

When we first got him, we all thought he was a power forward who just needed his shot at the top 6, and that he would bring that bruising net presence all teams desire. His first game with us, he was hitting everything in sight, going to the net, and he even got the crowd chanting his name (First and last time, haha).

After seeing him play, it became apparent his touch around the net was non-existent, he struggled to convert easy scoring chances, and his hitting, which used to be his strong suit, seemed to diminish (though this could be because of the weight loss plan Gillis put him on, it seemed when he lost weight, he lost a lot of impact on his hits.)

At the end, he became an average to below average 3rd liner, which no hopes of getting into the top 6. He was TERRIBLE on the PP.

Anyways, I am just wondering how he has played for you guys? Has he shown any signs of a scoring touch? Is he playing like a power forward? As a person he seemed like a nice guy, so I was hoping he would go on to make more of a name for himself on another team, so I was just interested in seeing what you guys think of him.

And to combine everything into one post, for those wondering about Keith Ballard (in case):

He hasn't been the top 4 d-men we had hoped he would be. He has struggled to get ice time under Alain Vigneault, and usually gets stuck as the 5th d-man on the team. He hasn't gotten much PP time, and has been inconsistent to say the least. Some nights he is a physical beast, and he turns on his jets and you can see the offence he can bring to the team, and other nights he struggles with decision making in his own zone and making pinches at the wrong time. It's hard to get a real read on him since he was injured coming into training camp, and hasn't had a chance to get into a groove. You can definitely see signs of a great player in him, but it remains to be seen if he will turn into that for us.

Either way, he at least brings the hip check, as he still nails people with that every 5 games or so.

Cheers!
In short:

Same old Bernier... same old Ballard...

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 08:20 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
In short:

Same old Bernier... same old Ballard...
Hahahah, fair enough. It's funny, whenever you get a player from another team, the fans from the team the player come from all trash the player and list all his negatives and you always say to yourself "No no no, that was just in [insert city name], he will play WAY better here." But 90% of the time, you get the player as advertised.

It was the same way with Malholtra, San Jose fans said he was a black hole of offence but was great defensively, but part of me was like "His offence will pick up in Vancouver". It didn't.

Old
01-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Erick

The OP has had just as big of an impact on the Panthers as Bernier has for the last 20+ games.

That's how "good" Bernier's been.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Bernier:

1st 10 or so games: Very good. Used his size well in front of opposing net and scored some points that way, was placed in front on the PP and looked great.

Then he tailed off a little, got injured...

When he returned, he was great for a few games, scored some points including a couple big goals.

For about the past 15 games, he's been useless, mostly invisible. Even his linemates Matthias and Hordichuk who also get 4th line minutes have done more with the time they've had. Matthias has earned extra shiftd with his strong play. At least Hordi serves a purpose, and he gets less time than Bernier. I hope he's traded at the deadline, I think he still has a decent rep and could bring back a 3rd.

Wrt Ballard, he was the same way last year, and that's why I was happy we got rid of him. It was a great trade to get a 1st out of it.(Sorry haha)

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:22 PM
Two4Fighting

I see Bernier gone at the end of the season, disappointing because at the beginning of the season he looked like the kind of guy we need it in front of the net.
Ballard is a good player, he will find his groove and you will be happy with him.

Two4Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:34 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Hahahah, fair enough. It's funny, whenever you get a player from another team, the fans from the team the player come from all trash the player and list all his negatives and you always say to yourself "No no no, that was just in [insert city name], he will play WAY better here." But 90% of the time, you get the player as advertised.

It was the same way with Malholtra, San Jose fans said he was a black hole of offence but was great defensively, but part of me was like "His offence will pick up in Vancouver". It didn't.

I definitely agree, but i have to say i've been nothing but pleased with our trade with Horton and Wideman. We heard that Wideman is good on the PP but can't do anything with the puck, and can't skate, etc etc... But really, i haven't seen what i expected in terms of major giveaways and terrible skating. I was a little disappointed offensively but recently he's REALLY picked that up.

So yeah, sucks to hear about Ballard. I really thought he'd return to form. Everyone on these boards hates him, and no one can deny he had a TERRIBLE year last year, but i think he's a very very good Dman when things go right for him.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:55 AM
Boooooth10

Ballard just needs to paired back up with Boynton. That's when he was at his best.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
Ballard just needs to paired back up with Boynton. That's when he was at his best.
It's interesting that you mention that, because some d-men just really struggle unless paired with the right kind of partner. And it doesn't have to be an all-star they are paired with, but just someone that compliments them.

Take Bieksa for instance, he was god awful on the Canucks last year, but this year, he has seen quite the turnaround. Why? Because Dan Hamhuis compliments his game really well. Bieksa's last great season? Playing with Willie Mitchell. He needs a solid defensive presence to be able to play his game.

That's kind of the problem with Ballard right now IMO. He is on the bottom pairing, often playing with fringe NHL'rs and rookie d-men. He almost has to babysit the 6th d-man on the team, and as a result, we aren't really getting the best out of Ballard. He isn't strong enough IMO to be the guy that can carry a pairing, but I bet he will play far better when playing with a solid defensive player.

As for Bernier, sounds like he is following the same pattern. He always comes out so strong for his new team then kind of dwindles away, falling down the depth chart, until you don't even care/notice if he is gone. It's too bad, because again, he seems like a genuinely nice guy.

Anyways, not to flood your boards with Canuck talk, I just get caught up talking hockey.

Old
01-21-2011, 02:40 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
It's interesting that you mention that, because some d-men just really struggle unless paired with the right kind of partner. And it doesn't have to be an all-star they are paired with, but just someone that compliments them.
I tried singin that song all last year and nobody wanted to sing along.

Quote:
Take Bieksa for instance, he was god awful on the Canucks last year, but this year, he has seen quite the turnaround. Why? Because Dan Hamhuis compliments his game really well. Bieksa's last great season? Playing with Willie Mitchell. He needs a solid defensive presence to be able to play his game.
Chemistry really does matter. I swear!

Quote:
That's kind of the problem with Ballard right now IMO. He is on the bottom pairing, often playing with fringe NHL'rs and rookie d-men. He almost has to babysit the 6th d-man on the team, and as a result, we aren't really getting the best out of Ballard. He isn't strong enough IMO to be the guy that can carry a pairing, but I bet he will play far better when playing with a solid defensive player.
He really was that guy with Boynton. He was one of my fav. D-men EVER when they were together.

Quote:
As for Bernier, sounds like he is following the same pattern. He always comes out so strong for his new team then kind of dwindles away, falling down the depth chart, until you don't even care/notice if he is gone. It's too bad, because again, he seems like a genuinely nice guy.
/thread. LOL/no LOL

Quote:
Anyways, not to flood your boards with Canuck talk, I just get caught up talking hockey.
It's more welcome than you think, trust me....we need some positivity around here.

CHGoalie27 is online now   Reply With Quote