HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

David Clarkson to Montreal

Old
01-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
David Clarkson to Montreal

Realistically, what would the Devils want from the Habs for Clarkson?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

I wouldn't trade him at all. But since this is all fantasy,

Yannick Weber

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:25 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Conditional 3rd that turns into a 2nd if he scores 20 goals. A prospect like Weber would be fine too.

Clarkson is a good player but he's the only expendable signed asset on our team with positive trade value. If we trade him it's to clear salary so we can't be taking any roster players back.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:27 PM
JimEIV

Believe it or not but I think the Devils see him as a core player.

But an Nhl ready young defensemen who probably be of interest to the Devils

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:27 PM
williamirven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Realistically, what would the Devils want from the Habs for Clarkson?
You're going to get a pretty wide spectrum of replies to this. Some Devils fans think he is vastly overpaid, given his below-average skating and overly deliberate puck-handling. Others value him highly for his toughness and intangibles.

I'm in the pool of fans that really like what Clarky brings to the Devils lineup, and wouldn't trade him unless its clear we are getting the better player back. So, as an example, I would not trade him for Weber and/or draft picks.

williamirven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:28 PM
OutbreakCH

Y. Weber + Cond. 4th?

OutbreakCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:35 PM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Conditional 3rd that turns into a 2nd if he scores 20 goals. A prospect like Weber would be fine too.

Clarkson is a good player but he's the only expendable signed asset on our team with positive trade value. If we trade him it's to clear salary so we can't be taking any roster players back.
I would be fine with this. I think personally he won't hit 20 goals this season. It would be worth a 3rd in my opinion.

He is currently at 8. Actually if he came over to the Habs it could be possibly he gets a spark, so I guess it could be possible he would need 12 more goals. I would definetly look into a deal for Clarkson. He can play 2nd line minutes if injuries occur like which has happened to us.

Clarkson I think would look good with Pouliot on a line. Possibly with Eller if Kostitsyn moves back up.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

While I don't want to part with Yannick Weber as I do feel like he will be a good defenseman in this league, I would consider parting with him for Clarkson for two reasons only:
  1. Clarkson is not UFA at the end of the season
  2. Habs desperately need to add some toughness

Old
01-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Moen - Halpern - Clarkson could be a pretty good crash and bang line.

I think Clarkson has some value and he has been playing much better recently.

Weber+3rd or 4th would be fair.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:43 PM
williamirven

I wonder how many non Habs fans have actually seen Weber play? I ask because, having seen him in action on several occasions, nothing really jumps out at me that suggests he's better than many of the Devils blueline prospects.

For the Devils fans that haven't seen him play, think Salmela with slightly better hockey sense.

Old
01-21-2011, 01:58 PM
BeastoftheEast85

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutbreakCH View Post
Y. Weber + Cond. 4th?
I would go for that if Montreal can make the cap room, which I think they have if they send a couple kids back down the minors.

I like Clarky but he well oriented with the fans and always stands up for his teammates. He has potential of a good agitator/power forward but he just hasn't meshed well this for and we could use the cap space.

BeastoftheEast85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamirven View Post
I wonder how many non Habs fans have actually seen Weber play? I ask because, having seen him in action on several occasions, nothing really jumps out at me that suggests he's better than many of the Devils blueline prospects.

For the Devils fans that haven't seen him play, think Salmela with slightly better hockey sense.
I have to disagree with you here, and not because I'm trying to over-value Weber or under-value your prospects.

Weber is a good puck moving defenseman who can quarterback the PP while not hurting you in his own zone. He was playing behind PK Subban two years ago in the AHL but this year, he was having an outstanding season in Hamilton before being called up, both offensively and defensively. He's still young and has plenty of room to continue developing.

If the Habs didn't have this desperate need (in my opinion of course) to get tougher, NEVER would I even consider trading him for a player like Clarkson but as I've mentioned earlier in this thread, the fact that Clarkson isn't a UFA at the end of the year combined with the lack of toughness in Montreal (added to the PK Subban development) makes that I'd be willing to consider sacrificing (and that's what it would be) Weber to address a need in the Habs' line-up.

EDIT: Even this very site (Hockey's Future) ranks Weber as a 7.0B, which would make him the Devils best prospect on defense, equal to Matt Corrente.

Old
01-21-2011, 02:40 PM
ponder

I'd consider giving up Gunnarsson for Clarkson, Clarkson may be a bit overpaid but I do like what he brings in terms of physical play, a 3rd line of Versteeg/Clarkson/Armstrong would be pretty awesome.

As for Gunnarsson vs. the Weber offer, both were drafted in 2007, both are currently on a real cheap deals, and both become RFAs at the end of this season. Gunnar is 6'2", a good skater, fairly solid defensively, and pretty good with the puck. He's getting bottom pairing minutes in Toronto, but a big part of that is that we have a pretty locked in top 4 of Kaberle, Schenn, Phaneuf and Beauchemin, not to mention guys like Komisarek and Aulie (and Lebda, ugh) battling with Gunnar for bottom pairing minutes. Even still, he's put up a respectable 6 goals, 22 points in his 78 career NHL games so far (with 3rd pairing ES minutes, plenty of PK time and virtually no PP time). Compare this to the 0 goals, 5 points in 26 NHL games put up by the 5'10" Yannick Weber and I think Gunnarsson is the more valuable young dman, I definitely see him as a guy with 2nd pairing potential, someone who can be solid with and without the puck.

Last edited by ponder: 01-21-2011 at 02:46 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:41 PM
apice3*

Let me describe Clarkson's ability through the following five smilies.

On any given play involving Clarkson, you'll have one of the above reactions.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:47 PM
canadianeh

Habs would (hopefully) have no interest in Clarkson. He's a 4th liner making top 6 money.

With the guys they have to sign after this year, giving him 3 mill a year for the next 2 would be a huge mistake.

canadianeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

would love him in a hans uni. Seems to have regressed a bit, but seems like everyone on the devils is having an off year.

That being said, he does not fit into the makeup of what Martin wants. Isnt quick, defense is suspect at times, & takes bad penalties.

But the fact that he adds size & toughness to the habs is sorely needed. He is overpaid tho. Dont know if the habs can take on another guy who is paid 500-750K more than he is worth.

That being said, i think the Weber offers are fair.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianeh View Post
Habs would (hopefully) have no interest in Clarkson. He's a 4th liner making top 6 money.

With the guys they have to sign after this year, giving him 3 mill a year for the next 2 would be a huge mistake.
2.3 isn't top 6 money 11-4 is top 6 money. 2.3 is a 3rd liners salary and he is a 3rd liner.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
Believe it or not but I think the Devils see him as a core player.

But an Nhl ready young defensemen who probably be of interest to the Devils
I also think he's a Lou favorite. Does that mean much, I think a lot depends on how the team finishes and how individual players perform up to the trade deadline.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Crimson Devil*

Yannick Weber? ****, I'd be happy with cheese bread coming the other way.

Crimson Devil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Marksman

I dont see Habs trading Weber until they have enough defencemen locked for next year. He and Spacek are the 3rd pairing now... And I prefer that over Picard, Festerling or Carle.

3rd rounder would be my offer for Clarkson.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 03:40 PM
williamirven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I have to disagree with you here, and not because I'm trying to over-value Weber or under-value your prospects.

Weber is a good puck moving defenseman who can quarterback the PP while not hurting you in his own zone. He was playing behind PK Subban two years ago in the AHL but this year, he was having an outstanding season in Hamilton before being called up, both offensively and defensively. He's still young and has plenty of room to continue developing.

If the Habs didn't have this desperate need (in my opinion of course) to get tougher, NEVER would I even consider trading him for a player like Clarkson but as I've mentioned earlier in this thread, the fact that Clarkson isn't a UFA at the end of the year combined with the lack of toughness in Montreal (added to the PK Subban development) makes that I'd be willing to consider sacrificing (and that's what it would be) Weber to address a need in the Habs' line-up.

EDIT: Even this very site (Hockey's Future) ranks Weber as a 7.0B, which would make him the Devils best prospect on defense, equal to Matt Corrente.
I'm not too sure what Hockey's Future has to say about it, but if they rank Corrente ahead of Urbom, Merrill or, even Gelinas, I'd have to disagree with them, but who really knows? All of these players, Weber included, are unproven commodities.

If the Habs want to add some grit, we'll send you Adam Mair. Sure, he's a bum, but he has been known to stick up for teammates, from time to time, and certainly isn't going to cost much.

Old
01-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I'd consider giving up Gunnarsson for Clarkson, Clarkson may be a bit overpaid but I do like what he brings in terms of physical play, a 3rd line of Versteeg/Clarkson/Armstrong would be pretty awesome.

As for Gunnarsson vs. the Weber offer, both were drafted in 2007, both are currently on a real cheap deals, and both become RFAs at the end of this season. Gunnar is 6'2", a good skater, fairly solid defensively, and pretty good with the puck. He's getting bottom pairing minutes in Toronto, but a big part of that is that we have a pretty locked in top 4 of Kaberle, Schenn, Phaneuf and Beauchemin, not to mention guys like Komisarek and Aulie (and Lebda, ugh) battling with Gunnar for bottom pairing minutes. Even still, he's put up a respectable 6 goals, 22 points in his 78 career NHL games so far (with 3rd pairing ES minutes, plenty of PK time and virtually no PP time). Compare this to the 0 goals, 5 points in 26 NHL games put up by the 5'10" Yannick Weber and I think Gunnarsson is the more valuable young dman, I definitely see him as a guy with 2nd pairing potential, someone who can be solid with and without the puck.
How convenient to for you to forget that Weber is about two years younger than Gunnarsson (not to take anything away from him). Lets compare the numbers in couple years time.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Halifaxhab*

Weber for Clarkson would be fair. Keep in mind that this saves the Devils some $$$$ under the cap, heck I'd add in Boyd to help fill the roster spot for NJ

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:25 PM
FanHabtic

I don't see Clarkson as the type of player you trade for. I think you can sign an equivalent player in the off-season via UFA. On the Habs he would be a 3rd line player with a 2.7 million dollar cap-hit. There is really one spot open in the top-6 and i don't see Clarkson making it over Eller / MaxPac and Pouliot.

Too many people think the Habs cap situation is rainbows and puppies. We will be looking to re-sign Wiz, Markov and Gorges as well as one of Hammer / Gill which will eat up most of our available cap-space. I'd like to find a cheaper option than Clarkson. I like Clarkson for what he can contribute but would prefer someone cheaper on the 3rd / 4th line. (someone like Ryan White hopefully)

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:27 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Weber for Clarkson would be fair. Keep in mind that this saves the Devils some $$$$ under the cap, heck I'd add in Boyd to help fill the roster spot for NJ
I'd prefer to trade Weber for Colin White!

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote