HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton and Buffalo

Old
01-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerplanet View Post
Edmonton Trades

Andrew Cogliano,
Jason Strudewick, and
5th rounder

To

Buffalo for,

Andrej Sekera, and
3nd rounder.

Don't know if the value is there but i would like to see a decent defenceman to edmonton that isn't gonna start with trading Hall, Eberle or MPS.

Flame away
I wouldn't trade Andrej Sekera for that package.

Chris Butler for Andrew Cogliano
same age
same stalled career

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I wouldn't trade Andrej Sekera for that package.

Chris Butler for Andrew Cogliano
same age
same stalled career
Brule for Butler maybe. Don't see Cogliano as the type of player that isn't a top 6er - and I don't see him being good enough even for our lacklustre top 6.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
How about something around Cogliano for Buffalo's third and someone like Marc-Andre Gragnani?

01-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
Brule for Butler maybe. Don't see Cogliano as the type of player that isn't a top 6er - and I don't see him being good enough even for our lacklustre top 6.
I'm not a fan of Cogliano at all...

I see his value similar to Butler's.

Both were young guys who got playing time early in their careers, but have now been passed by on the depth chart by more promising players and/or better veterans.

Cogliano for Butler...
simple

I'd definitely prefer Brule

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
DID You not realize, Oilerplanet, you would've had drafted Myers, had your club President, and former GM, Kevin Lowe, not targeted Thomas Vanek w/ an offer sheet that Vanek rejected but under the rules of the offer sheet, Edmonton lost that pick to Anaheim as a result of the Oilers signing Dustin Penner.... Anaheim then swapped the pick to Buffalo.......
But without penner the team would have drafted higher then 12 so who knows if they were even looking at meyers with a top ten pick

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 03:24 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Brule/Cogliano for Butler would be a good starting point.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 03:26 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Brule/Cogliano for Butler would be a good starting point.
Agreed, but Butler has less upside, so maybe Cogs and a late pick for him.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 03:28 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
DID You not realize, Oilerplanet, you would've had drafted Myers, had your club President, and former GM, Kevin Lowe, not targeted Thomas Vanek w/ an offer sheet that Vanek rejected but under the rules of the offer sheet, Edmonton lost that pick to Anaheim as a result of the Oilers signing Dustin Penner.... Anaheim then swapped the pick to Buffalo.......
Not true, the Oilers rarely use first rounders on d-men, so I highly doubt that we even would have chosen Myers. Just sayin'.

Oh, and we got Anaheims pick in that draft and took Eberle anyway, so I'm not too upset about losing a pick.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 05:29 PM
fear the grier

Coming from a Buffalo perspective I'd like to think that they would never consider trading Myers regardless of the offer at this point.

To entertain the idea the offer would obviously start with a 1st round pick and a high end center coming to Buffalo. I dont believe MPS, Hall, or Eberle play center so I guess it would have to be the one with the highest upside. It would probably have to involve a D coming back as well, probably a young guy...not Jason Strudwick, I think he played with Gretzky in Edmonton he's so old.

I think we're still a year away from saying Sekera has established himself as a solid D-man on a 2nd pairing. You forget that him and Butler were alternating games in the pressbox the whole 2nd half of last year, and Craig Rivet was playing so that shows how poorly they were both playing.

Butler would be more likely to be dealt, he's been a healthy stratch the majorituy of teh last 2 months because Mike Weber has badly outplayed him. If the Oilers want to give Cogs and a mid-round pick for him be my guest...maybe that would finally lead to Rob Niedermayer being put out of his misery

fear the grier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:30 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
I think Buffalo would want... significantly more for a kid like Myers.

yeah

oilers would need to add something

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:37 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Agreed, but Butler has less upside, so maybe Cogs and a late pick for him.
Less upside than who? He has top 3 d-man potential. He's run PPs before and can play gritty. At this point, I think it's more a confidence issue than anything. He played less than a full season in the AHL and doesn't seem quite sure what to do, mentally, to bounce back from some rough patches.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:

Both were young guys who got playing time early in their careers, but have now been passed by on the depth chart by more promising players and/or better veterans.

Cogliano for Butler...
simple

Tambo can get more from Cogliano than a 4th round bust in Butler we have many dmen like Butler in the Ahl dont need him Cogs brings way more to the table you're value is a joke and Cogs at least is a regular nhler so is Brule why in the hell would Tambo unload them for a 8th 9th dmen

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 07:10 PM
dnicks17

The Oilers have Whitney, Foster, Gilbert, Peckham, Smid and Petry signed for next year. We aren't going to trade Cogs for a 7th defenseman.

Brule for Mike Weber? Sure.

Cogs for Butler? No thanks.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 05:06 AM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Quote:
Vanek rejected the offer sheet? Thats news to me. And Anaheim didnt swap the pick to us, it was LA. They had recieved the pick from Anaheim earlier.

From Wikipedia:
4.* The Edmonton Oilers' first-round pick went to the Buffalo Sabres as the result of a trade on June 20, 2008, that sent the 13th-overall pick and a third-round pick in 2009 to the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for this pick.
Los Angeles acquired previously as the result of a trade on June 20, 2008, that sent the 17th-overall pick and the 28th-overall pick to the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for this pick.
Anaheim acquired previously, along with second and third-round picks, from Edmonton as the result of Anaheim's decision not to match an Oilers' offer sheet to restricted free agent Dustin Penner on August 2, 2007.[3]

5.* The Buffalo Sabres' first-round pick went to the Los Angeles Kings as the result of a trade on June 20, 2008, that sent the 12th-overall pick to Buffalo in exchange for a third-round pick in 2009 and this pick.

7.* The Calgary Flames' first-round pick went to the Anaheim Ducks as the result of a trade on June 20, 2008, that sent the 12th-overall pick to the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for the 28th-overall pick and this pick.
Los Angeles acquired previously as the result of a trade on June 20, 2008, that sent Mike Cammalleri to Calgary in exchange for this pick.

Last edited by SECRET SQUIRREL: 01-22-2011 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Added link
SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 06:18 AM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:

Cogliano for Butler...
simple

My point was that I don't think the Sabres need Cogliano.

I'd like Brule as a reclamation project - but he also strikes me as a guy who could still be a decent bottom 6er even if it doesn't work out. I don't see Cogliano having that.

Saying that I wouldn't give up a huge amount to get Brule - and by the looks of it the Oilers and Sabres wouldn't be good trading partners.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote