HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Washington Capitals @ New York Islanders (01.20.2011, 7pm)

Old
01-21-2011, 01:25 AM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
it's time for purrutu to go back to hershey. he's not a useful player at the nhl level right now.
is this a reference to Perrault? he made a beautiful move entering zone tonite and then delivered gift-wrapped present to #21 on the doorstep. #21 should have converted that.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:27 AM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i can buy that he is overweight and slow. but that doesnt explain the awful stickhandling, the whiffing and shanking of open shots and a general and complete breakdown of his puck handling ability.
in his defense, he was the main reason for both our goals tonite

Old
01-21-2011, 01:42 AM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by third man in View Post
I'll take the 2 points
me too! i agree w/ the previous post which pointed out that this Islanders team has beaten a bunch of really good teams lately.

here were other positives:

+ Chimera is a fantastic addition to top line right now. the blazing speed opens things up for 19 & 8. very noticeable difference from 22 being on that line.

+ 2 assists for Ovie, including really nice one to chimera. i agree that the rest of Ovie's game is head-scratching enigma right now, but it's always good for his confidence to get points on the board.

+ Holtby looked competent and poised in net, even in face of good Islander chances, e.g. Moulson all alone point-blank.

+ Carlson had another solid game defensively, was clearing it out of our zone safely and consistently. It's a shame he doesn't get more attention as a Calder Cup nominee. He has quickly become essential to our team.

+ We allowed only 1 goal against. Our GAA seems way down since the epic 8-game skid. True, the offense is still AWOL, but in the meantime, it's nice to see low GAA.

+ Our PK was excellent.

+ Stecks didn't sideline any of his teammates w/ accidental collision.

+ We have not lost 8 straight games. (Just remember how we all felt back then -- we would have KILLED for a 2-1 win on Long Island.)

Last edited by troyerlaw: 01-21-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old
01-21-2011, 01:44 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
in his defense, he was the main reason for both our goals tonite
nothing about those two goals that matt bradley couldnt have done. i am not saying that he isnt trying. but its been a long time since he shot a puck past a goalie and into the net from further out than mike knuble range. face it.

i think he's injured. i dont know. he is just diminished by a significant amount. at this point if semin were to return and start scoring again, i'd be interested to see if teams decided to not put their best guys on ovechkin anymore.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:49 AM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
nothing about those two goals that matt bradley couldnt have done. i am not saying that he isnt trying. but its been a long time since he shot a puck past a goalie and into the net from further out than mike knuble range. face it.

i think he's injured. i dont know. he is just diminished by a significant amount. at this point if semin were to return and start scoring again, i'd be interested to see if teams decided to not put their best guys on ovechkin anymore.
yeah it's very weird. he's not the same player at all. i'm totally baffled by it.

speak of bradley, when does he return? it'll be nice eventually to have Fehr, Semin and Bradley back. even if all 3 have been as erratic as the rest of the team, they are still important ingredients.

Old
01-21-2011, 01:51 AM
Capitlols

Quote:
i can buy that he is overweight and slow. but that doesnt explain the awful stickhandling, the whiffing and shanking of open shots and a general and complete breakdown of his puck handling ability.
Its probably two-fold, but I can't believe some of the defensemen that have shutdown OV this year, guys who he'd normally blow by easily.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:55 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

After Islanders game I thought we played good. But then I remembered Canucks. That is a big difference to me. Especially in such categories as speed and winning individual battles (individual attributes/skills).

Probably Isles' players are less good and it was easier for us to play. After seeing our passes (several good passes in a row) against Islanders I thought that it should be more mental than "players forgetting how to make a good pass".

Maybe it isn't all BB's fault after all. Players aren't mature enough. That's what I thought in the morning.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:01 AM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
is this a reference to Perrault? he made a beautiful move entering zone tonite and then delivered gift-wrapped present to #21 on the doorstep. #21 should have converted that.
The only thing he has done in several games is a pass to a wide open guy on the PP. Minutes later he takes a stupid penaltyagain. He's like a non defensive nom skilled version of Semin. He is the worst player on the ice.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 05:30 AM
Bunindza

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
The only thing he has done in several games is a pass to a wide open guy on the PP. Minutes later he takes a stupid penaltyagain. He's like a non defensive nom skilled version of Semin. He is the worst player on the ice.
Considering the passing... deficiencies that the team has had, that's probably enough reason to keep him up.

That aside, our team, half full of rookies, half full of underachievers, is still, 8 game skid excluded, better than or equal to most teams on any given night. Including 3OT games against the consensus best team in the East and possibly the league.

Scary.

I sorta wish this game had been more like the last game, which was as close to a game unmarred by officiating as we'll see these days. Was fun to watch. That 2nd period was agonizing.

Bunindza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Foy

Quote:
if you are talking about the PP pass, it was a horrible pass, he wrong-sided Laich which ensured that he couldn't get a quick shot off. If you make a beautiful move followed by a god-awful pass, you belong in the A, which is where it's becoming increasingly obvious Perrault belongs.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Funkyalligator

Yeah well I wasn't all that suprised by the officiating the caps have dealt with that before and still won....it was pretty darn lopsided.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 11:19 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

01-21-2011, 11:47 AM
EroCaps

Quote:
me too! i agree w/ the previous post which pointed out that this Islanders team has beaten a bunch of really good teams lately.

here were other positives:

+ Chimera is a fantastic addition to top line right now. the blazing speed opens things up for 19 & 8. very noticeable difference from 22 being on that line.

+ 2 assists for Ovie, including really nice one to chimera. i agree that the rest of Ovie's game is head-scratching enigma right now, but it's always good for his confidence to get points on the board.

+ Holtby looked competent and poised in net, even in face of good Islander chances, e.g. Moulson all alone point-blank.

+ Carlson had another solid game defensively, was clearing it out of our zone safely and consistently. It's a shame he doesn't get more attention as a Calder Cup nominee. He has quickly become essential to our team.

+ We allowed only 1 goal against. Our GAA seems way down since the epic 8-game skid. True, the offense is still AWOL, but in the meantime, it's nice to see low GAA.

+ Our PK was excellent.

+ Stecks didn't sideline any of his teammates w/ accidental collision.

[B]+ We have not lost 8 straight games. (Just remember how we all felt back then -- we would have KILLED for a 2-1 win on Long Island.)
I'll try to remember this post should I ever accidentally imbibe a household cleaning product.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
if you are talking about the PP pass, it was a horrible pass, he wrong-sided Laich which ensured that he couldn't get a quick shot off. If you make a beautiful move followed by a god-awful pass, you belong in the A, which is where it's becoming increasingly obvious Perrault belongs.
OK, I'm not a huge MP fan by any means, but that's really nitpicking to criticize MP's pass to Laich's backhand from that distance while skating in the opposite direction. Laich could have made it a direct forehand shot had he skated forward a little, not to mention that he had space to skate in before shooting but chose to take a poor shot.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote