HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nabokov to Detroit (570K), Nabby on waivers, claimed by the Islanders

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2011, 05:42 PM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLzodiac View Post
Because Nabby's agent sent a letter to ALL GMs stating his client wants to be the starter. How the hell does Nabby beat Miller for the starter? *IFs* someone gets injured probably isn't suitable to Nabby.

Like others have said, GMs being a jerk about it will have future reprocussions. Btw, his agent is one of the most respected in the league, look at his clientel and explain to me why GMs would want to screw him over. He could screw them over for many years to come. Think about it...
Why would a team care what him and his agent want? It's about what the owner/GM want, they're the ones paying his salary.

Old
01-21-2011, 05:42 PM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge of Sanity View Post
Nabakov's NMC states he can squash any claim that a team may put on him. He's going to end up with the Red Wings.
This is untrue.

Old
01-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge of Sanity View Post
Nabakov's NMC states he can squash any claim that a team may put on him. He's going to end up with the Red Wings.
The NMC does not take effect until after the initial waiver claim. He is ineligible to play in the NHL until exposed to waivers.

Old
01-21-2011, 05:43 PM
774EVER
DR. SILLYPANTS...

Thanks to those that responded. The whole competitive balance thing seems like a paradox to me. A team like St. Louis for example attempted to become more competitive and possibly challenge for a playoff spot by signing Svatos (I realize that I am totally overvaluing Svatos here, just trying to make a point).

There has got to be a better way to curb the whole stashing of players in Europe thing. IMO they should be treated like any other free agent. If a team puts in the effort and convinces a player to sign with them, they should be permitted to do so. I would hate it if the Bruins were able to convince the next Forsberg to sign and then he winds up being picked up by the Habs in the waiver wire.

Just throwing spit-balls here, but the whole thing with European signees is an interesting one. It could also become more interesting when previous NHLers who have opted for the KHL suddenly realize that they want back in the NHL. Don't they deserve to control their own destiny - for family reasons? Or maybe they deserve to be punished for bolting to the KHL

Old
01-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 774EVER View Post
Thanks to those that responded. The whole competitive balance thing seems like a paradox to me. A team like St. Louis for example attempted to become more competitive and possibly challenge for a playoff spot by signing Svatos (I realize that I am totally overvaluing Svatos here, just trying to make a point).

There has got to be a better way to curb the whole stashing of players in Europe thing. IMO they should be treated like any other free agent. If a team puts in the effort and convinces a player to sign with them, they should be permitted to do so. I would hate it if the Bruins were able to convince the next Forsberg to sign and then he winds up being picked up by the Habs in the waiver wire.

Just throwing spit-balls here, but the whole thing with European signees is an interesting. It could also become more interesting when previous NHLers who have opted for the KHL suddenly realize that they want back in the NHL. Don't they deserve to control their own destiny - for family reasons? Or maybe they deserve to be punished for bolting to the KHL
Its designed to act as a deterrent on two fronts. First to stop NHL caliber players from going to Europe, and secondly to prevent teams from stashing players in Europe and bringing them back mid-season.

Old
01-21-2011, 05:50 PM
gn2007

http://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/s...4027269259264#

Have heard from a few teams who say they might claim Nabokov. We'll see tomorrow whether it's all talk or not.

Old
MrSandMan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadLikeAnOrange View Post
If he's a locker room cancer then ban him from it?

Canucks can claim him and I can keep him chained up in my basement and away from both my team and the Wings.
Good Luck in the offseason trying to sign UFA. Not too many players would want play for a dirty club like that. Why do you thing Wings are the best organization in the league? Because they show class to players, not spite them to get one over on another hockey club. Nabokov's agent clearly stated he wants to compete for #1. Perhaps he can on Canucks, cuz Louongo isn't a good goalie. Nabokov > Louongo

See what I did there? Fact is Nabby won't have a chance to being #1 on 'nucks. Treat players with a little respect and your future will be better in the long run. Screw players over to be a jerk, and deal with the consequences in the offseason for years to come.

Old
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Fiend View Post
The Wings were known playoff chokers before 2008. Seems like it makes the most sense for him to come to Detroit, but that isn't going to happen.

I also find this whole process weird.
Is this a joke?

Old
01-21-2011, 05:51 PM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 774EVER View Post
Just throwing spit-balls here, but the whole thing with European signees is an interesting. It could also become more interesting when previous NHLers who have opted for the KHL suddenly realize that they want back in the NHL. Don't they deserve to control their own destiny - for family reasons? Or maybe they deserve to be punished for bolting to the KHL
Why can't he just wait a few months and sign with Detroit after the play-offs when he is waiver exempt?

He knew the risk when he went over to the KHL and ***** the bed.

No sympathy.

Old
01-21-2011, 05:52 PM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
Ok, so the NMC can be exercised from the get-go.
How do you figure?

Old
01-21-2011, 05:52 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Is this a joke?
Remember that on HFBoards, the NHL started when Crosby and Ovechkin joined the league.

Old
01-21-2011, 05:56 PM
MrSandMan*

Quote:
Why would a team care what him and his agent want? It's about what the owner/GM want, they're the ones paying his salary.
players don't want to play for classless clubs that don't give two craps about players. Nabbys agent has a HUGE list of clients (look it up), wrong him and his client, see if he snubs your clubs and/or overprices his players in the future.

Like I said, red wings are the best franchise in the league because they actually care about players and shows respect to their personal wants and needs. That's why they are the best and get players to play for them for under market value.

Old
01-21-2011, 05:57 PM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongshowmonkey View Post
capgeek CapGeek
3/3: We have confirmed Nabokov has a NMC and he can block being waived by the claiming team if he chooses to.
This is the important one. He can block being waived, not being claimed. If he doesn't get waived, he can't play. So any team that wants him has a shot at him.

Old
01-21-2011, 06:01 PM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

Quote:
players don't want to play for classless clubs that don't give two craps about players. Nabbys agent has a HUGE list of clients (look it up), wrong him and his client, see if he snubs your clubs and/or overprices his players in the future.

Like I said, red wings are the best franchise in the league because they actually care about players and shows respect to their personal wants and needs. That's why they are the best and get players to play for them for under market value.
So you legitimately think he'll be the clear-cut starter over Howard when healthy?

Old
01-21-2011, 06:08 PM
MrSandMan*

Quote:
So you legitimately think he'll be the clear-cut starter over Howard when healthy?
Without a doubt. Howard is just horrible this seaon. The only way Nabokov isn't the clear cut stater is if he sucks worse than Howard.

Old
01-21-2011, 06:16 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
This is the important one. He can block being waived, not being claimed. If he doesn't get waived, he can't play. So any team that wants him has a shot at him.
Exactly, that is what a NMC is, you can't move him unless he says so.

Him signing an NHL contract forces him to send it through the waiver wire, which is essentially saying; I wave my NMC to try and get into the NHL.

It doesn't mean he can pick and chose which team is trying to claim him.

Old
01-21-2011, 06:19 PM
LastChancePrice

Detroit are pure genius. They are simply trying to bait a conference team so they can claim him thinkingt they will make a bargain with him, but Wings know hes a real time chocker in the playoff. They just waiting for it to happen!

Old
01-21-2011, 06:19 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Remember that on HFBoards, the NHL started when Crosby and Ovechkin joined the league.
how many guys that won all those cups back in the day are still on this team? i think those cup wins dont mean **** when debating red wings playoff chocking before 2008

Old
01-21-2011, 06:24 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
how many guys that won all those cups back in the day are still on this team? i think those cup wins dont mean **** when debating red wings playoff chocking before 2008
the franchise defenseman who won the Conn Smythe in 2002 for one....

Old
01-21-2011, 06:24 PM
dangledangledeke

Quote:
Without a doubt. Howard is just horrible this seaon. The only way Nabokov isn't the clear cut stater is if he sucks worse than Howard.
That's a bit of an overstatement.. He hasn't looked incredible but he has been solid all season. Also, Nabokov sent out a letter to all the teams (Was Detroit included?) saying he wants to be a starting goaltender. Doesn't anyone else think he is doing what he can to try and deter the rest of the teams from grabbing him so he has a shot with Detroit? I could easily see him splitting time with Howard but there is no way he jumps in and is the starter. That's not how things work in Detroit. All that said, I really doubt a goalie of his caliber makes it through waivers on that salary.

Old
01-21-2011, 06:25 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

this could be interesting

the talking heads on the talk radio stations are suggesting a few teams are thinking about putting a claim in

Old
01-21-2011, 06:26 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
I'm sorry, what about the 6 years leading up to their cup win in 2008 was "choking" to you? And how does that qualify when discussing the Red Wings now?

Old
01-21-2011, 06:29 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
I'm sorry, what about the 6 years leading up to their cup win in 2008 was "choking" to you? And how does that qualify when discussing the Red Wings now?
i dont think there chockers but your talking about a team that isnt really relevant to todays wings

Old
01-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

vCash: 200
Pierre LeBrun was just on the TEAM 1040 and said Philly might put a claim in. They are last in the waiver priority.

Old
01-21-2011, 06:43 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
Hahah... Philly. There's some irony!

They low ball Nabby, he turns it down, then get him even cheaper.

Closed Thread