HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nabokov to Detroit (570K), Nabby on waivers, claimed by the Islanders

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-21-2011, 05:42 PM
  #826
HeadLikeAnOrange*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLzodiac View Post
Because Nabby's agent sent a letter to ALL GMs stating his client wants to be the starter. How the hell does Nabby beat Miller for the starter? *IFs* someone gets injured probably isn't suitable to Nabby.

Like others have said, GMs being a jerk about it will have future reprocussions. Btw, his agent is one of the most respected in the league, look at his clientel and explain to me why GMs would want to screw him over. He could screw them over for many years to come. Think about it...
Why would a team care what him and his agent want? It's about what the owner/GM want, they're the ones paying his salary.

HeadLikeAnOrange* is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 05:42 PM
  #827
HeadLikeAnOrange*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge of Sanity View Post
Nabakov's NMC states he can squash any claim that a team may put on him. He's going to end up with the Red Wings.
This is untrue.

HeadLikeAnOrange* is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 05:43 PM
  #828
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge of Sanity View Post
Nabakov's NMC states he can squash any claim that a team may put on him. He's going to end up with the Red Wings.
The NMC does not take effect until after the initial waiver claim. He is ineligible to play in the NHL until exposed to waivers.

Fish on The Sand is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 05:43 PM
  #829
774EVER
DR. SILLYPANTS...
 
774EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: 2 close 2 LeafNation
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,727
vCash: 500
Thanks to those that responded. The whole competitive balance thing seems like a paradox to me. A team like St. Louis for example attempted to become more competitive and possibly challenge for a playoff spot by signing Svatos (I realize that I am totally overvaluing Svatos here, just trying to make a point).

There has got to be a better way to curb the whole stashing of players in Europe thing. IMO they should be treated like any other free agent. If a team puts in the effort and convinces a player to sign with them, they should be permitted to do so. I would hate it if the Bruins were able to convince the next Forsberg to sign and then he winds up being picked up by the Habs in the waiver wire.

Just throwing spit-balls here, but the whole thing with European signees is an interesting one. It could also become more interesting when previous NHLers who have opted for the KHL suddenly realize that they want back in the NHL. Don't they deserve to control their own destiny - for family reasons? Or maybe they deserve to be punished for bolting to the KHL

774EVER is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 05:48 PM
  #830
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 774EVER View Post
Thanks to those that responded. The whole competitive balance thing seems like a paradox to me. A team like St. Louis for example attempted to become more competitive and possibly challenge for a playoff spot by signing Svatos (I realize that I am totally overvaluing Svatos here, just trying to make a point).

There has got to be a better way to curb the whole stashing of players in Europe thing. IMO they should be treated like any other free agent. If a team puts in the effort and convinces a player to sign with them, they should be permitted to do so. I would hate it if the Bruins were able to convince the next Forsberg to sign and then he winds up being picked up by the Habs in the waiver wire.

Just throwing spit-balls here, but the whole thing with European signees is an interesting. It could also become more interesting when previous NHLers who have opted for the KHL suddenly realize that they want back in the NHL. Don't they deserve to control their own destiny - for family reasons? Or maybe they deserve to be punished for bolting to the KHL
Its designed to act as a deterrent on two fronts. First to stop NHL caliber players from going to Europe, and secondly to prevent teams from stashing players in Europe and bringing them back mid-season.

Fish on The Sand is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 05:50 PM
  #831
gn2007
Registered User
 
gn2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Shelby Township, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,155
vCash: 500
http://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/s...4027269259264#

Have heard from a few teams who say they might claim Nabokov. We'll see tomorrow whether it's all talk or not.

gn2007 is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 05:50 PM
  #832
MrSandMan*
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadLikeAnOrange View Post
If he's a locker room cancer then ban him from it?

Canucks can claim him and I can keep him chained up in my basement and away from both my team and the Wings.
Good Luck in the offseason trying to sign UFA. Not too many players would want play for a dirty club like that. Why do you thing Wings are the best organization in the league? Because they show class to players, not spite them to get one over on another hockey club. Nabokov's agent clearly stated he wants to compete for #1. Perhaps he can on Canucks, cuz Louongo isn't a good goalie. Nabokov > Louongo























See what I did there? Fact is Nabby won't have a chance to being #1 on 'nucks. Treat players with a little respect and your future will be better in the long run. Screw players over to be a jerk, and deal with the consequences in the offseason for years to come.

MrSandMan* is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 05:50 PM
  #833
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please
 
ArGarBarGar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 24,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Fiend View Post
The Wings were known playoff chokers before 2008. Seems like it makes the most sense for him to come to Detroit, but that isn't going to happen.

I also find this whole process weird.
Is this a joke?

ArGarBarGar is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 05:51 PM
  #834
HeadLikeAnOrange*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 774EVER View Post
Just throwing spit-balls here, but the whole thing with European signees is an interesting. It could also become more interesting when previous NHLers who have opted for the KHL suddenly realize that they want back in the NHL. Don't they deserve to control their own destiny - for family reasons? Or maybe they deserve to be punished for bolting to the KHL
Why can't he just wait a few months and sign with Detroit after the play-offs when he is waiver exempt?

He knew the risk when he went over to the KHL and ***** the bed.

No sympathy.

HeadLikeAnOrange* is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 05:52 PM
  #835
HeadLikeAnOrange*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
Ok, so the NMC can be exercised from the get-go.
How do you figure?

HeadLikeAnOrange* is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 05:52 PM
  #836
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 35,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Is this a joke?
Remember that on HFBoards, the NHL started when Crosby and Ovechkin joined the league.

Epsilon is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 05:56 PM
  #837
MrSandMan*
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadLikeAnOrange View Post
Why would a team care what him and his agent want? It's about what the owner/GM want, they're the ones paying his salary.
players don't want to play for classless clubs that don't give two craps about players. Nabbys agent has a HUGE list of clients (look it up), wrong him and his client, see if he snubs your clubs and/or overprices his players in the future.

Like I said, red wings are the best franchise in the league because they actually care about players and shows respect to their personal wants and needs. That's why they are the best and get players to play for them for under market value.

MrSandMan* is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 05:57 PM
  #838
deckercky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gongshowmonkey View Post
capgeek CapGeek
3/3: We have confirmed Nabokov has a NMC and he can block being waived by the claiming team if he chooses to.
This is the important one. He can block being waived, not being claimed. If he doesn't get waived, he can't play. So any team that wants him has a shot at him.

deckercky is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 06:01 PM
  #839
HeadLikeAnOrange*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLzodiac View Post
players don't want to play for classless clubs that don't give two craps about players. Nabbys agent has a HUGE list of clients (look it up), wrong him and his client, see if he snubs your clubs and/or overprices his players in the future.

Like I said, red wings are the best franchise in the league because they actually care about players and shows respect to their personal wants and needs. That's why they are the best and get players to play for them for under market value.
So you legitimately think he'll be the clear-cut starter over Howard when healthy?

HeadLikeAnOrange* is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 06:08 PM
  #840
MrSandMan*
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadLikeAnOrange View Post
So you legitimately think he'll be the clear-cut starter over Howard when healthy?
Without a doubt. Howard is just horrible this seaon. The only way Nabokov isn't the clear cut stater is if he sucks worse than Howard.

MrSandMan* is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 06:16 PM
  #841
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God
 
KimiFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Argentina
Posts: 3,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
This is the important one. He can block being waived, not being claimed. If he doesn't get waived, he can't play. So any team that wants him has a shot at him.
Exactly, that is what a NMC is, you can't move him unless he says so.

Him signing an NHL contract forces him to send it through the waiver wire, which is essentially saying; I wave my NMC to try and get into the NHL.

It doesn't mean he can pick and chose which team is trying to claim him.

KimiFerrari is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 06:19 PM
  #842
LastChancePrice
Registered User
 
LastChancePrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,020
vCash: 500
Detroit are pure genius. They are simply trying to bait a conference team so they can claim him thinkingt they will make a bargain with him, but Wings know hes a real time chocker in the playoff. They just waiting for it to happen!

LastChancePrice is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 06:19 PM
  #843
um
Registered User
 
um's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Remember that on HFBoards, the NHL started when Crosby and Ovechkin joined the league.
how many guys that won all those cups back in the day are still on this team? i think those cup wins dont mean **** when debating red wings playoff chocking before 2008

um is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 06:24 PM
  #844
ricky0034
Registered User
 
ricky0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
how many guys that won all those cups back in the day are still on this team? i think those cup wins dont mean **** when debating red wings playoff chocking before 2008
the franchise defenseman who won the Conn Smythe in 2002 for one....

ricky0034 is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 06:24 PM
  #845
dangledangledeke
Registered User
 
dangledangledeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLzodiac View Post
Without a doubt. Howard is just horrible this seaon. The only way Nabokov isn't the clear cut stater is if he sucks worse than Howard.
That's a bit of an overstatement.. He hasn't looked incredible but he has been solid all season. Also, Nabokov sent out a letter to all the teams (Was Detroit included?) saying he wants to be a starting goaltender. Doesn't anyone else think he is doing what he can to try and deter the rest of the teams from grabbing him so he has a shot with Detroit? I could easily see him splitting time with Howard but there is no way he jumps in and is the starter. That's not how things work in Detroit. All that said, I really doubt a goalie of his caliber makes it through waivers on that salary.

dangledangledeke is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 06:25 PM
  #846
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
this could be interesting

the talking heads on the talk radio stations are suggesting a few teams are thinking about putting a claim in

__________________
trying to fend off exwife number 2
45000/010113
GO SHARKS GO
jumptheshark is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 06:26 PM
  #847
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please
 
ArGarBarGar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 24,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
how many guys that won all those cups back in the day are still on this team? i think those cup wins dont mean **** when debating red wings playoff chocking before 2008
I'm sorry, what about the 6 years leading up to their cup win in 2008 was "choking" to you? And how does that qualify when discussing the Red Wings now?

ArGarBarGar is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 06:29 PM
  #848
um
Registered User
 
um's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
I'm sorry, what about the 6 years leading up to their cup win in 2008 was "choking" to you? And how does that qualify when discussing the Red Wings now?
i dont think there chockers but your talking about a team that isnt really relevant to todays wings

um is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 06:30 PM
  #849
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 200
Pierre LeBrun was just on the TEAM 1040 and said Philly might put a claim in. They are last in the waiver priority.

Bubbles is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 06:43 PM
  #850
SactoShork
The Youth Movement
 
SactoShork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,560
vCash: 50
Hahah... Philly. There's some irony!

They low ball Nabby, he turns it down, then get him even cheaper.

SactoShork is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.