HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Colorado-Toronto

Old
01-21-2011, 06:37 PM
theneuf33
@TheDamager

vCash: 500
Colorado-Toronto

doubt this will ever happen but wonder what others think

To Colorado:
Gustavsson
Gunnarsson

To Toronto:
Ryan O'Reilly

theneuf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:38 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Colorado doesn't trade O'Reilly. Their center depth is set for the next 10 years.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:40 PM
Pure

No thanks. Our defence suck even more than Toronto's so it wouldn't help Gustavsson's confidence at all. Gunnarson is nothing special, we have better prospects in our system. O'Reilly is set as our number 3 center for the next decade.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:40 PM
skip2mybordeleau
HF "Soft" Boards

vCash: 4000
nope, to be honest, gustavsson isn't much of a motivator to me, would rather wait out for a better goalie ufa, or hope anderson ill turn it around

gunnarsson is not near as valuable to the avs as o'reilly is.

skip2mybordeleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:45 PM
theneuf33
@TheDamager

yet the avs drafted a centre with their first pick last year? im thinking monster would be a good backup to anderson next year if budaj doesnt resign, plus gunner is a decent young defenseman who coudl develop well. Is the value there if the Avs were shopping O'reilly? which they obviously aren't

Old
01-21-2011, 06:49 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by theneuf33 View Post
yet the avs drafted a centre with their first pick last year?
Hishon can play the wing. Or someone else can play the wing. He's a much different player than O'Reilly, and there's no guarantee that any prospect will make the NHL.

I suppose if the Avs were shopping O'Reilly that this deal wouldn't be so bad, but it's still not great from the Avs perspective. Gustavsson has proven to be very inconsistent in Toronto, and the Avalanche's defense is much worse than theirs.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 0
Avs really like O'Reilly. They had him as one of the top 15 guys in 2009 and were delighted to draft him at #33. Then he makes the NHL as an 18 year old and he shows a defensive game of a veteran. I think he'll be an Avs player for a long time.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
wej20

Quote:
yet the avs drafted a centre with their first pick last year? im thinking monster would be a good backup to anderson next year if budaj doesnt resign, plus gunner is a decent young defenseman who coudl develop well. Is the value there if the Avs were shopping O'reilly? which they obviously aren't
I think there is a good chance Hishon plays wing at the NHL level. Don't think it's that good value if Avs were shopping O'Reilly, if they were shopping him I imagine they'd be looking for one quality piece rather than two mid level pieces.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:50 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Gunnarsson is a solid piece for sure, but he isn't enough to get O'Reilly.

Gustavsson isn't exactly a valuable piece. Goaltenders don't gather much on the trade market as it is, and especially one that has struggled as much as Gus has.

Pretty big no from the Avs here.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Pure

Quote:
The Avs don't draft based on need, and our draft record is damn good with that strategy. Hishon has nothing to do with the Avs current lineup.

The value is still not there if we were shopping O'Reilly. A backup goalie and a bottom pairing dman won't help the Avs much.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:55 PM
theneuf33
@TheDamager

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Hishon can play the wing. Or someone else can play the wing. He's a much different player than O'Reilly, and there's no guarantee that any prospect will make the NHL.

I suppose if the Avs were shopping O'Reilly that this deal wouldn't be so bad, but it's still not great from the Avs perspective. Gustavsson has proven to be very inconsistent in Toronto, and the Avalanche's defense is much worse than theirs.
i see your point about different types of players, i still think monster is a serviceable backup for a team, would the avs be more interested in another of leafs defensemen to make the deal work. i put gunner as komi sucks and he is overpaid. maybe beauchimen?

Old
01-21-2011, 07:02 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
doubt this will ever happen but wonder what others think

To Colorado:
Gustavsson
Gunnarsson

To Toronto:
Ryan O'Reilly
The only way O'Reilly goes somewhere is in a package for a seriously awesome defenseman.

I would be open to trading Hishon to you guys if you're looking for C help though.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Monstar50

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
The only way O'Reilly goes somewhere is in a package for a seriously awesome defenseman.

I would be open to trading Hishon to you guys if you're looking for C help though.
I would love to get Joey Hishon. What would you want for him?

Monstar50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 07:18 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstar50 View Post
I would love to get Joey Hishon. What would you want for him?
something similar in value, but a defenseman. and bigger. don't know your prospect pool well...

Old
01-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Monstar50

Quote:
something similar in value, but a defenseman. and bigger. don't know your prospect pool well...
Leafs don't really have any big name defenseman. We have prospects like Jesse Blacker, Juraj Mikus and Korbinian Holzer but I dont think there worth Hishon.

Old
01-21-2011, 08:42 PM
seanlinden

I see little reason for either team to consider this.

From the Avs perspective, they have their centre depth stacked up for the long haul and O'Reilly fits perfectly as the #3. Gunnarsson wouldn't make a substantial difference to their team and Gustavsson's value has got to be very close to zero because of the 1-way contract.

From the Leaf perspective, it's unlikely that O'Reilly ever becomes more than a great #3C, sort of in the mold of Dave Bolland. Of course, Toronto's current #3 centre is Darryl Boyce which is a problem, but Tyler Bozak could do a more than adequate job at #3 if we get that #1 guy (or if Nazem Kadri can develop into that player). Gunnarsson on the other hand is a valuable guy to hopefully anchor our 3rd pair next year (gotta ditch Komisarek for cap concerns) which would allow us to play a rookie alongside him. He also has the potential to make Beauchemin expendable when his contract is done.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:48 PM
ShameOnYouZidlicky

Both teams don't do it

I think Colorado will re-sign Anderson for a couple of years, and it looks like Pickard can be the goalie of the future for them. I dont think there's a need for young D-men as they already have good prospect depth with Elliot, Shattenkirk, Silo, Holos, Gaunce, Barrie. I wouldn't give up on Gustavsson just yet and hopefully Bozak can be that 3C for us.

ShameOnYouZidlicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:01 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Leafs don't really have any big name defenseman. We have prospects like Jesse Blacker, Juraj Mikus and Korbinian Holzer but I dont think there worth Hishon.
Schenn!

seriously though, Hishon + O'Reilly for Schenn, that I'd think about. Leafs fans seem to freak out at any suggestion of moving him though.

Old
01-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Monstar50

Quote:
Schenn!

seriously though, Hishon + O'Reilly for Schenn, that I'd think about. Leafs fans seem to freak out at any suggestion of moving him though.
The leafs should only consider moving Schenn if we were getting a young proven top six forward back. I'd like to get Hishon, but not at the cost of Schenn.

Old
01-21-2011, 09:59 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
The leafs should only consider moving Schenn if we were getting a young proven top six forward back. I'd like to get Hishon, but not at the cost of Schenn.
Many CO fans consider O'Reilly to be a top 6 eventually on most other teams, already at age 19. He just happens to play behind Duchene and Stastny in a purely defensive mode and doesn't have the chance to put up big numbers.

In terms of landing a young top 6 center and another potential one, it's hard to beat that proposal. I can't think of any other teams that could and would.

Old
01-21-2011, 10:41 PM
TheStranger

Quote:
Many CO fans consider O'Reilly to be a top 6 eventually on most other teams, already at age 19. He just happens to play behind Duchene and Stastny in a purely defensive mode and doesn't have the chance to put up big numbers.

In terms of landing a young top 6 center and another potential one, it's hard to beat that proposal. I can't think of any other teams that could and would.
If Colorado didn't have Duchene, they would definitely be scrambling to find someone to play 2nd line C, O'Reilly would never cut it. I think someday he'll have a good enough two way game to play that role (maybe 20 + 35) but he's certainly not that good now.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:47 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
If Colorado didn't have Duchene, they would definitely be scrambling to find someone to play 2nd line C, O'Reilly would never cut it. I think someday he'll have a good enough two way game to play that role (maybe 20 + 35) but he's certainly not that good now.
Gotta agree Radar will eventually be a good offensive threat, he shows flashes of his talent but he is not consistent offensively.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 12:18 AM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
The only time in his career he hasn't had bottom 6 and defensively focused wingers, he scored 14 points in 17 games as a rookie. That was with Galiardi, Stewart, and Jones.

I realize he's got a lot of growth before he reaches his potential, but don't pretend the guy is chopped liver right now. He's doing exactly what is asked of him. If put with Kessel on Toronto's top line, I think you'd be shocked at his production. And Kessel's for that matter.