HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Beer and Nightlife Thread v3

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2011, 09:48 AM
WickedWrister

vCash: 500
Too much beer, not enough Nightlife in this thread.

Old
01-21-2011, 03:26 PM
flyersguy33*

Old
01-21-2011, 07:22 PM
WVP

That's what's up.

Old
01-21-2011, 11:37 PM
DJ Spinoza

My loan check came today, so I'm all set for some NN this weekend.

Also, keep an eye on your local Sharp Edge. Whenever they get NN, if you go on Wednesdays you can get it for 2.25 or 2.50 (it's half off craft drafts all day).

Old
01-22-2011, 01:22 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Something I wish I'd known before my first half of my drinking session was all Belgians...oh well, good to know.

My first act upon returning to Missoula was to go to Worden's and get some great beer. I picked up a six pack of Bayern's Doppelbock, a six pack of Rogue's Shakespeare Stout, a 75cl Piraat (I'd never had before...Van Steenberge makes my #1 beer so I figured I'd give it a try, even if I tend to dislike hoppy brews), and a 33cl Salvator (still kills me that I'd never had one before considering every other Paulaner brew was readily available in Århus aside from the one that I really wanted to try...Doppelbocks tend to be my favorite type of beer).

I was planning on going a little more extensive today but the selection was pretty unsatisfactory compared to the norm. The money I got for Christmas is to go towards trying new beers this semester though...and it appears that I will be spending Spring Break in San Francisco so that should give me a solid chance to try some great brews, to say nothing of a trip with my roommate through Oregon. I have to get to Deschutes, Rogue, and Anchor before this semester ends. Anchor especially, since they don't market out here and I've never seen any of their beers available...I gotta see the mecca of American Microbreweries.

Old
01-22-2011, 11:19 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
... absolutely amazing.

getting hyped for the release of Sexual Chocolate coming up shortly. If I can snag a couple extra bottles I'll let you guys know.

Old
01-22-2011, 11:29 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 1271
So since I tried (and loved the flavor of) the Sam Adams Boston Lager, what should I try next. The only gripe I had with the Sam Adams Boston Lager is that it wasn't very strong in terms of alcohol content. Are there any Sam Adams brews that taste similiar to the Boston Lager but are stronger?

Old
01-22-2011, 09:08 PM
WVP

Not sure in Canada. As far as big names, Boston Lager is about as full flavored of a lager as you'll find. You really have to go in a different direction if you're looking for taste and higher alcohol content.

I would look for some pale ales - Sierra Nevada has a great one that you should be able to get your hands on. Not that strong though and a good bit more hoppy than Boston Lager.

Old
01-23-2011, 12:27 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Sadly that Sierra Nevada is a no go. I just looked it up on the LCBO (Liqour Control Board of Ontario) website and it appears that LCBO's don't carry it here in Ontario. And all of the other pale ales that were listed and had caught my interest...we don't stock here in town either.

This town is so hick.

It seems that if you live here and aren't a Budweiser or Molson or Labatt guy, and you want to venture out and try, taste, enjoy and explore better beer options (like how I love to do) here...you're screwed for the most part.

Old
01-23-2011, 01:24 PM
DJ Spinoza

About to try to buy some Nugget Nectar again. This week, my hopes are up, whereas last week I was just curious, so I'm bound to be disappointed.

Old
01-23-2011, 03:27 PM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I was planning on going a little more extensive today but the selection was pretty unsatisfactory compared to the norm. The money I got for Christmas is to go towards trying new beers this semester though...and it appears that I will be spending Spring Break in San Francisco so that should give me a solid chance to try some great brews, to say nothing of a trip with my roommate through Oregon. I have to get to Deschutes, Rogue, and Anchor before this semester ends. Anchor especially, since they don't market out here and I've never seen any of their beers available...I gotta see the mecca of American Microbreweries.

Are you driving through or catching a flight to Portland first? Let me know when you'll be in Oregon and perhaps I can make some recommendations for you.

Old
01-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Mr. T

What's everyone drinking for the game? I've got 22oz bottles of Secession from Hopworks (best black IPA around, IMO) and Double Mocha Porter from Rogue.

Old
01-23-2011, 03:43 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Sadly that Sierra Nevada is a no go. I just looked it up on the LCBO (Liqour Control Board of Ontario) website and it appears that LCBO's don't carry it here in Ontario. And all of the other pale ales that were listed and had caught my interest...we don't stock here in town either.

This town is so hick.

It seems that if you live here and aren't a Budweiser or Molson or Labatt guy, and you want to venture out and try, taste, enjoy and explore better beer options (like how I love to do) here...you're screwed for the most part.
Mining and hockey eh?

Old
01-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Are you driving through or catching a flight to Portland first? Let me know when you'll be in Oregon and perhaps I can make some recommendations for you.
It would be a drive, but I don't know when...I'm assuming probably around April or so.

Old
01-23-2011, 11:05 PM
DJ Spinoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
What's everyone drinking for the game? I've got 22oz bottles of Secession from Hopworks (best black IPA around, IMO) and Double Mocha Porter from Rogue.
Successfully found a case of Nugget Nectar at McBrooms. Bottled on 12/27--super fresh!

The one downside to NN is that I don't find it to be good with food. The beer is too much on its own, and certain foods can make it even more excruciatingly bitter. If I'm in the right mood I can pretty much pound NN, but sometimes drinking it with pizza is like pulling teeth.

Old
01-24-2011, 11:09 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Mining and hockey eh?
Yup. That's basically what Timmins is and has been about. Since the town was founded in 1912, we've had about 20-25 NHL'ers hail from here. Mostly guys who played in the 1940's, 1950's, and so on though. Shean Donovan and Stevie Sullivan are the only guys from here playing in the NHL right now.

The thing that we're probably most known for however.....is that we're also the hometown of country starlet Shania Twain.

*vomits all over self*

Old
01-27-2011, 11:06 AM
WVP

Nugget Nectar is on draft at Fat Head's....

Old
01-28-2011, 10:28 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Am on my 4th Samuel Adams Boston Lager of the evening. Num num.

Also tried a bottle of Steamwhistle Pilsner earlier this evening. YUCK!!!!!

Old
02-05-2011, 03:03 AM
DJ Spinoza

First time ever in Club Cafe tonight... I saw Jolie Holland, who was outstanding, and after her Kyp Malone of Tv On the Radio played a set of his solo stuff that's out under the name Rain Machine. He absolutely killed it--an amazing performance. If this show comes to your town, out-of-state-Pens-fans, don't miss it!

Old
02-07-2011, 03:14 AM
Jaded-Fan

Cool Pens-Beer related story

Cheers to Penguin's great customer service
By ERIC FRANCIS, Calgary Sun
Last Updated: February 6, 2011 11:18pm

Not only does Mike Rupp know the importance of fans, but the value of beer.
During warmup of a recent game, the Pittsburgh Penguins forward bumped into the boards, inadvertently knocking a patron’s beer off the dasher.
“Mike felt terrible about it, so he asked the trainer to grab $10 out of Rupp’s wallet,” says Rupp’s agent Allan Walsh.
“He then wrote an apology on a puck, signed it and taped the $10 bill around it. He went over to the glass, got the guy’s attention and tossed the puck over to him.
“The fan read the note, looked up, smiled and gave a big thumbs up.”
Now that’s good public relations, not to mention service.

http://www.calgarysun.com/sports/col.../17179346.html

Old
02-21-2011, 05:22 AM
En Liten Pingvin

Hey I'm coming very first time to Pittsburgh in March. Can you guys recommend some night clubs and pubs where to go during my visit?

Old
02-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Syrinx
Heh...

Beer for the Pool

Years ago Clarence Beeks recommended, on one of the original beer threads, "Oskar Blue's Dale's Pale Ale". The main selling point being that it was great beer in a can. I bought some and was not disappointed. It became a frequent carry along to the pool that summer and since.

I stumbled on this article today regarding the world's best canned beers. I thought some of you pool-goers may be interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Oskar Blue's Dale's Pale Ale – Named the best pale ale in the country by the New York Times, it's not the simple pale ale you'd expect to guzzle in a hurry.
There are 4 mentioned altogether.

Old
02-25-2011, 04:25 PM
1penzfan

Bigfoot Has Arrived

Having my first 2011 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot barleywine of the season. One of my favorites. A very hoppy barleywine that reminds me of an IPA on steroids. Quite tasty! I should probably cellar a few to let the hops settle down, but I always drink my way through them. Oh well.

Old
02-27-2011, 11:28 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1penzfan View Post
Having my first 2011 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot barleywine of the season. One of my favorites. A very hoppy barleywine that reminds me of an IPA on steroids. Quite tasty! I should probably cellar a few to let the hops settle down, but I always drink my way through them. Oh well.
Random thought, but no ****, Apex? I just moved from there. There's a new bottle shop opening downtown that should be pretty good once they get everything running.

Bigfoot is a pretty good one, but as good as it is now do yourself a favor and let at least one or two bottles age for 2 years. Every variety I've tried has been at its best at that point.

Old
02-27-2011, 09:11 PM
WVP

Didn't we have another from Apex? Buzzed Penguin maybe?

Closed Thread