HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

TB/TOR Trade Proposal

Old
01-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Vinik bought the Lightning once, he paid with his own cash:

http://www.lightninghockeyblog.com/2...lightning.html

Vinik has stated he doesnt expect to make money from the team itself. He will profit from the parcels of land surrounding the forum, the forum itself (one of the biggest and highest attended in the entire USA, behind only MSG IIRC) etc etc

They came as a job lot, sounds perfect for Vinik who wanted a team, but loves his profit as well.

But its ok please keep spouting unsubstantiated rumours as extremely valid and overriding facts.
So he knows that he will lose money on the team and you think he will commit to losing more money on them.
I'm sure that is exactly how he became a successful businessman. Finding business's he knows cant turn a profit and spending more money on them.

As for the proposal itself as soon as I saw Vinnie's name I knew this thread would be a disaster.
Tampa fans just value Vinnie much more than most people around the league.
Many Tampa fans seem to think he is an elite player that will be back to high end production when he is completely healthy.
Most outside that fan base think he is a 70ish point player being paid as an elite player for a very long time.

Cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 797
Funny thing about Vinnie when people say he is having an off year or has for a fey seasons is that he is producing now at close to the same rate he did for most of his career.
Maybe the 2 years he played like and elite player were the off years. He is in his 12th season now and and has only been able to play at that level twice. Isnt that an indicator that he was playing above himself those years rather than below himself now?

Cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 12:11 AM
IdealisticSniper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
So he knows that he will lose money on the team and you think he will commit to losing more money on them.
I'm sure that is exactly how he became a successful businessman. Finding business's he knows cant turn a profit and spending more money on them.

As for the proposal itself as soon as I saw Vinnie's name I knew this thread would be a disaster.
Many Tampa fans seem to think he is an elite player that will be back to high end production when he is completely healthy.
Most outside that fan base think he is a 70ish point player being paid as an elite player for a very long time.

And yet Id be amazed if you can find ONE trade proposal thread that had VL4 in it started by a TB fan.

And in case youre reading comprehension is just off for the day or so that you read that post you quoted. Vinik isnt expecting to make money off the team. He is going to make money off the forum, the property around the forum, the concessions, the parking, the merchandise, basically everything BUT the team itself. However the team itself is what sparks all those other things. So yes he will put money into the team, as he has already stated he will, and followed it up with actually...you know...putting money into the team.

And again Ill ask again to any of you guys trying to talk about crap you very obviously know NOTHING about... show me ONE SINGLE LINK about Vinik being cash strapped, a hard internal cap, or anything negative monetarily. You wont because you cant find one.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 03:54 AM
Rschmitz

How is it possible that some people still think the Lightning have financial restraints?

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 08:22 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Funny thing about Vinnie when people say he is having an off year or has for a fey seasons is that he is producing now at close to the same rate he did for most of his career.
Maybe the 2 years he played like and elite player were the off years. He is in his 12th season now and and has only been able to play at that level twice. Isnt that an indicator that he was playing above himself those years rather than below himself now?
You can look at stats or you can look at game tape, Vinny is playing like a shell of the Vinny that played in 06-08. I mean really you can number crunch all you want, but there are reasons why he was in contention for the Art Ross/Richard/Hart all those years, because he was one of the top 3 players in the game over those 2 seasons.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 08:26 AM
bassassin

Quote:

Generally you dont buy a sports team expecting to make money. But if there is no sucess with the Lightning the Forum/surrounding area/Viniks investments will suffer, so surely he can see the sense in spending on the Lightning to accumulate with the rest of his holdings? Im sure THATs how he became a successful businessman.

Tampa fans value him for a reason he is our franchise, other fans dont quite get what he means to the team/management/fans and community. He brings so much more than on ice play, ok he is overpaid. So what every team has a bad contract and with our cap space/the cap going up/other players on our team underpaid it more than balances out. Thats why most Lightning fans want to keep him despite his contract.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote