HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Clouston May Be Fired

Old
01-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
From the outside looking in guys, if Clouston gets fired, so does Murray...huge house cleaning by the owner...
Sounds like something that will wait til the off-season.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 08:48 AM
TeamRenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans12_12 View Post
I have heard this refrain from so many of you people, and until now I have just held my tongue and chalked it up as just a few kids saying nonsense. But I have seen too many people parrot this same thought and I just cannot understand how so many people can subscribe to this thinking?

What do you not understand about this team being a business? What do you not understand about this team having given up on their coach and getting BLOWN OUT game after game?

What do you think that does to people who want to spend some money on entertainment? Are they gonna dish out money to go to a Sens game? Are they going to buy a jersey? Absolutely not.

Making a move like firing a coach tells fans and perspective consumers that the ownership is doing something to change the atmosphere of being chumps. This organization has had a culture of winning for a decade, and people demand that the team at least competes. No one is going to dish out NHL ticket money to watch their team get blown out.

How do you think this effects season ticket holders? The campaign to get season ticket holders to re up does not start in the offseason. It starts now. People who plopped down a small fortune for season tickets are certainly fed up by now, watching their team get pummeled in every game. There is no way they are going to pony up more money for next year unless their is some sign that changes are in the works.

Canning Clouston is not a move to salvage the season you MORONS! The season is done and over with. Canning Clouston is a symbolic move for the fans, as well as a way to get this team to at least be competitive in their losing. This team isnt good enough for a playoff run or even a Leafs playoff run. Especially after the deadline when this team become sellers. We will finish the league in the bottom 5 regardless if Clouston is here or not. But making some changes at this point is absolutely necessary from a business perspective.

Do you understand now?
Wow, I don't think you could have come across as a bigger condescending ********* if you tried!

Do you really think that firing Clouston today is going to spike season ticket sales in July/Aug? Teh fanbase needs to be sold on hope anf the future!

And yes people will still support the team even if they are losing consistanly, the stands may not be as full as they have been the last few years but that is when the sales team earns their cheque.

This team won't be a contender for a few years, re-tool and identify to the fan base your intentions and put together a team that is entertaining and seats will sell.

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 08:57 AM
HSF

Bring Nabby In.

I want to get a lottery pick but the goaltending the last few weeks has been absolutley disgusting. For ppl that actually go to games this is unacceptable. I can barley watch these ******** games anymore (oh look ottawa is already down by two in 5 mins of the 1st.... another blowout coming!!)

Atleast bring in Nabby to keep the scores respectable

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 08:58 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Im still not sure I agree with that. You can see the effort is still there and guys are still trying. If he had lost the room I don't think you see the fights that happened in Philly. I just think its a combination of low confidence and low talent. Fragile group.
The players may have shut out Clouston due to the results they are getting while doing exactly what he is asking of them. Read or listen to what Clouston says, the players are working hard, they are allowing fewer shots and scoring opportunities than the team has in the past three years, the team is outchancing the opposition 2:1, etc, etc.

The fights can be simply frustration with the results they have been getting, yet doing what they have been instructed to do.

That said, the lack of any substantive action is unfathomable. Melnyk has charged people thousands of dollars for entertainment called the Ottawa Senators. What this has turned into is shameful, and may not be soon forgotten by the paying customer.

In today's NHL it is understandably difficult to make trades, but to not do anything, be that a coaching or GM move, or even a statement fron the owner is beyond unfathomable.

I do realize many of the fans on this board only want to get a high pick. These fans put down any suggestion of change that may alter their desired outcome. However I think it is short sighted to only focus on the draft and not the bigger picture.

This is a business competing for people's entertainment dollar, the Senators sold tickets claiming they would be competitive, not Stanley Cup competitve, but definitely a playoff team. Businesses and thousands of individuals invested in the belief they would be provided that level of entertainment, and instead have been given much much less.

Are the Senators going to offer these people a rebate, 40 - 50% off because the tankers don't want any changes that might interfere with a great draft pick?? It won't be happening. What may well happen, if nothing is changed, is many of those dollars will get spent elsewhere next year, a repeat of what happen two years ago. Only this time it will be exceedingly more challenging to convince them to come back.

Then adjust to life as one of the teams that aren't at the cap, because Melnyk won't be spending to the max, only to lose even more money than the team does today.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 09:01 AM
Rooverick*

If they fire Clouston now, then Murray steps in until the off season and "retires".

In the summer, I'd like to see the Sens take a long look at Kirk Muller for Head Coach, but I guess that will depend on who the new GM wants.

Rooverick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 09:07 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
The players may have shut out Clouston due to the results they are getting while doing exactly what he is asking of them. Read or listen to what Clouston says, the players are working hard, they are allowing fewer shots and scoring opportunities than the team has in the past three years, the team is outchancing the opposition 2:1, etc, etc.

The fights can be simply frustration with the results they have been getting, yet doing what they have been instructed to do.

That said, the lack of any substantive action is unfathomable. Melnyk has charged people thousands of dollars for entertainment called the Ottawa Senators. What this has turned into is shameful, and may not be soon forgotten by the paying customer.

In today's NHL it is understandably difficult to make trades, but to not do anything, be that a coaching or GM move, or even a statement fron the owner is beyond unfathomable.

I do realize many of the fans on this board only want to get a high pick. These fans put down any suggestion of change that may alter their desired outcome. However I think it is short sighted to only focus on the draft and not the bigger picture.

This is a business competing for people's entertainment dollar, the Senators sold tickets claiming they would be competitive, not Stanley Cup competitve, but definitely a playoff team. Businesses and thousands of individuals invested in the belief they would be provided that level of entertainment, and instead have been given much much less.

Are the Senators going to offer these people a rebate, 40 - 50% off because the tankers don't want any changes that might interfere with a great draft pick?? It won't be happening. What may well happen, if nothing is changed, is many of those dollars will get spent elsewhere next year, a repeat of what happen two years ago. Only this time it will be exceedingly more challenging to convince them to come back.

Then adjust to life as one of the teams that aren't at the cap, because Melnyk won't be spending to the max, only to lose even more money than the team does today.
Most fans don't buy tickets just because they want to see the team win they buy tickets because they love this team good or bad.Wanting a high draft pick is not beeing short sighted fans care about the future you get a top 5 pick you build around that and with the young players in the farm system i think you will see alot of fans excited and you may see a increase in season ticket sales.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 09:16 AM
Senasnore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooverick View Post
If they fire Clouston now, then Murray steps in until the off season and "retires".

In the summer, I'd like to see the Sens take a long look at Kirk Muller for Head Coach, but I guess that will depend on who the new GM wants.
No more rookie head coaches - GUARANTEED - next coach will have experience as a head coach in the NHL and a track record of developing YOUNG players. Who fits the bill?

Senasnore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 09:21 AM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
Ottawa is in good shape going into next year they have around $14 million in cap space as it is now.
You keep saying stuff like this like Magically Murray(if he is still here) is going to do something proper with the capspace. In the last 2 years he has spent big $$ on aging vets instead of finding guys that could be part of the solution.

14M in capspace is very good if you have a team that players want to join in a city people like to go to. As it stands right now, we are a bad team. Unless we overpay, who is going to want to play here in the next 2-3 years? We are better off being very careful with UFA's and getting a guy like a "Clarke MacCarthur"(bad example) but a guy who we are impressed by as opposed to guys we are continually dissapointed in.

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senasnore View Post
No more rookie head coaches - GUARANTEED - next coach will have experience as a head coach in the NHL and a track record of developing YOUNG players. Who fits the bill?
Guy Carbonneau?

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 09:25 AM
Cat Herder
Formerly BigSensFan

Quote:
Pat Quinn

Cat Herder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 09:26 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
You keep saying stuff like this like Magically Murray(if he is still here) is going to do something proper with the capspace. In the last 2 years he has spent big $$ on aging vets instead of finding guys that could be part of the solution.

14M in capspace is very good if you have a team that players want to join in a city people like to go to. As it stands right now, we are a bad team. Unless we overpay, who is going to want to play here in the next 2-3 years? We are better off being very careful with UFA's and getting a guy like a "Clarke MacCarthur"(bad example) but a guy who we are impressed by as opposed to guys we are continually dissapointed in.
Ottawa is a good city much more so then people give it credit for i never said murray would use the cap space wise he never has for the most part.My point is you get a smart gm who knows how to use the cap space and take care of the farm system, they will be in good shape.

Old
01-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Most fans don't buy tickets just because they want to see the team win they buy tickets because they love this team good or bad.Wanting a high draft pick is not beeing short sighted fans care about the future you get a top 5 pick you build around that and with the young players in the farm system i think you will see alot of fans excited and you may see a increase in season ticket sales.
The the drop in season ticket holders two season ago was for what reason exactly???

The truth probably is most fans on these boards don't buy tickets, when things are bad they just change the channel.

I won't say there won't be a increase in season ticket sales to see a top 3 draft pick, but the only forward that might be ready is Landeskog. Therefore the increase in ticket sales would have to wait 2 - 3 years, ask Melnyk what he thinks of that plan.

Old
01-22-2011, 09:58 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
The the drop in season ticket holders two season ago was for what reason exactly???

The truth probably is most fans on these boards don't buy tickets, when things are bad they just change the channel.

I won't say there won't be a increase in season ticket sales to see a top 3 draft pick, but the only forward that might be ready is Landeskog. Therefore the increase in ticket sales would have to wait 2 - 3 years, ask Melnyk what he thinks of that plan.
A couple years ago it was different they were expected to contend people got upset with what was going on that is why there was a dip in attendance.Going into next year if its made clear there rebuilding that should increase season ticket sales fans want to see young players and i think you will see most fans supporting a rebuild.As for most fans on here don't buy tickets lets not make attendance worse then it really is the fact is there still one of the better supported teams.

Last edited by wjhl2009fan: 01-22-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old
01-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Afro Thunder*

So did Murray ***** out?

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:

The kind of players most teams need just aren't available through the UFA process. Most, if not all, the young impact players are either signed long term, or are RFA types. Of course teams can make offer sheets, but the cost is typically overpayment on contract and the loss of draft picks, not an ideal approach for most teams.

The UFA process offers quality players, but by definition are typically older, demand long term contracts, and are expensive. Of course there is also the risk of decline with age.

The only long term solution is to draft well, without good fortune in the draft it is only a matter of time before the team declines.

The amount of dollars spent on a player is really a red herring, it doesn't matter to anyone really, except the owner. What is important is the term of the contract fits into the team's succession planning, and doesn't block the youth of the orgnization from having opportunity.

I realize I am in the minority here, but I think Murray has done pretty well following the plan to rebuild the organization. First step, restock the farm system with prospects, fill in holes at the NHL level with 2 - 3 year contracts giving the prospects time to develop. Then start to introduce the kids to the NHL.

With the defence prospects the Sens have, and with expiring contracts, Cowen, Rundblad have openings to step into. Guys like Butler, Smith are also probably close, and there are still other assets in Binghamton that could be used to trade, or move up in the draft.

All is not terrible, except for the current play of the Sens.

Old
01-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
A couple years ago it was different they were expected to contend people got upset with what was going on that is why there was a dip in attendance.Going into next year if its made clear there rebuilding that should increase season ticket sales fans want to see young players and i think you will see most fans supporting a rebuild.As for most fans on here don't buy tickets lets not make attendance worse then it really is the fact is there still one of the better supported teams.
People expected them to contend this year, if you doubt that go look at the predictions on this board prior to the season.

Old
01-22-2011, 11:31 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

sun is running him out of town. Shouldnt be long now.

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hock.../16987746.html

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

They haven't fired him yet so he probably survives until the All-Star break, if not longer.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:
Guy Carbonneau?
Yes!

I forgot about him but I thought he did a great job in Montreal and was the victim of unfortunate circumstances.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 12:01 PM
SENSfreak_03

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post

What a terrible article lol big headline, and about 2 lines on the subject.

Want to write that article, give me an actual argument as to why.

SENSfreak_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 12:05 PM
LGSens

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post

About time.

LGSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 12:12 PM
bert

Quote:
Please god let this be true no more rookies or unknowns that get tuned out after a season. This team in order to be a successful seller has to have its players atleast competing, i mean seriously if your another GM would you want any of these guys? Something has to happen.

bert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 12:33 PM
andrewmn

You'd think it would have happened by now.

Maybe it won't happen..

andrewmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Pangu

Quote:

You don't need nearly as many season tickets though, if you are spending 14M less on players. People can come next year to see Cowen, Rundbland and Karlsson. Not as many as when we were good, but probably about as many as we would have if we were a 10-11 team, without the youth.

Pangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:25 PM
arglebargle

Does anyone actually think that the Senators would be anywhere near a playoff spot if Clouston wasn't the coach? Seriously?

The Sens' roster is really, really bad. With Spezza injured they don't have a single adequate top 6 forward. This roster would make any coach look bad.

I'm not even saying that Clouston is a good coach. I just don't think switching him out is going to make any difference at all considering if you took away Karlsson, the Senators would probably be an above average AHL team right now. Why bother firing Clouston and paying him and his replacement for the rest of the season when it will make almost no difference at all?

We've fired a coach 3/4 seasons with Murray as GM. It's pretty clear that coaching isn't the biggest problem.

arglebargle is offline   Reply With Quote