HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

David Clarkson to Montreal

Old
01-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
Believe it or not but I think the Devils see him as a core player.

But an Nhl ready young defensemen who probably be of interest to the Devils
With their team this year I can believe it

Later on 3rd liner

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
With their team this year I can believe it

Later on 3rd liner
Wouldn't he be the Leafs second highest scorer last season?

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:36 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov 28 View Post
I don't think you (a Devils fan) should be taking shots at the Leafs!

Leave that to us Habs fans!

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:06 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I have to disagree with you here, and not because I'm trying to over-value Weber or under-value your prospects.

Weber is a good puck moving defenseman who can quarterback the PP while not hurting you in his own zone. He was playing behind PK Subban two years ago in the AHL but this year, he was having an outstanding season in Hamilton before being called up, both offensively and defensively. He's still young and has plenty of room to continue developing.

If the Habs didn't have this desperate need (in my opinion of course) to get tougher, NEVER would I even consider trading him for a player like Clarkson but as I've mentioned earlier in this thread, the fact that Clarkson isn't a UFA at the end of the year combined with the lack of toughness in Montreal (added to the PK Subban development) makes that I'd be willing to consider sacrificing (and that's what it would be) Weber to address a need in the Habs' line-up.

EDIT: Even this very site (Hockey's Future) ranks Weber as a 7.0B, which would make him the Devils best prospect on defense, equal to Matt Corrente.
Matt Corrente isn't our best defensive prospect, IMO. Urbom, Gelinas, and Merrill all have more upside, but Corrente is the closest to an NHL regular. All have are 7.5C's according to HF. We don't really need PMD prospects as much as most people, Devils fans included, like to point out. As bad as our lack of PMD is, we have plenty in the works. The only way we would really want to take a PMD prospect is if they're can't miss blue chip guy.

If we were to trade a player for picks and prospects, we would need center prospects first and foremost. After that, goalie, stay-at-home defenseman, and then wingers would be the order of our priorities, IMO.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 07:22 PM
njdevilsjds
Fire DeBoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Matt Corrente isn't our best defensive prospect, IMO. Urbom, Gelinas, and Merrill all have more upside, but Corrente is the closest to an NHL regular. All have are 7.5C's according to HF. We don't really need PMD prospects as much as most people, Devils fans included, like to point out. As bad as our lack of PMD is, we have plenty in the works. The only way we would really want to take a PMD prospect is if they're can't miss blue chip guy.

If we were to trade a player for picks and prospects, we would need center prospects first and foremost. After that, goalie, stay-at-home defenseman, and then wingers would be the order of our priorities, IMO.
Yes Gelinas and Merrill look really promising. I luckily get to see some of Merill's games and Burlon looks good to. I wonder what type of center we would need though (playmaker, Two-Way Foward etc.?

njdevilsjds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 07:35 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13sharonj View Post
Yes Gelinas and Merrill look really promising. I luckily get to see some of Merill's games and Burlon looks good to. I wonder what type of center we would need though (playmaker, Two-Way Foward etc.?
Goal scoring would be ideal. We could use someone who can score 30 goals to take loads of pressure off of Parise and Kovy. If not, a two-way player would be good. Maybe a 3rd line version of Zajac. It's really all indicative of how Josefson adjusts to the NHL game.

Old
01-21-2011, 07:43 PM
njdevilsjds
Fire DeBoer

Quote:
Goal scoring would be ideal. We could use someone who can score 30 goals to take loads of pressure off of Parise and Kovy. If not, a two-way player would be good. Maybe a 3rd line version of Zajac. It's really all indicative of how Josefson adjusts to the NHL game.
That makes sense I really wish Josefson was called back up but I guess Devils want him to ffind his game in the ahl first? On another note what do you think about adam henrique im not saying he is that 30 goal scorer but currently in Albany he has 37GP 11G 13A 24P and being that Albany has not been great excluding last year I like his potential but what do you think?

Old
01-21-2011, 07:56 PM
apice3*

Quote:
That makes sense I really wish Josefson was called back up but I guess Devils want him to ffind his game in the ahl first? On another note what do you think about adam henrique im not saying he is that 30 goal scorer but currently in Albany he has 37GP 11G 13A 24P and being that Albany has not been great excluding last year I like his potential but what do you think?
A lot of us here are high on him. I don't think he'll be overly special. Could be a future two-way third liner but we have no real center prospects after him. That's why trading Clarkson, Arnott, etc. for a quality center prospect would be a step in the right direction.

Old
01-21-2011, 08:03 PM
njdevilsjds
Fire DeBoer

Quote:
A lot of us here are high on him. I don't think he'll be overly special. Could be a future two-way third liner but we have no real center prospects after him. That's why trading Clarkson, Arnott, etc. for a quality center prospect would be a step in the right direction.
Very true and btw he has been playing on left wing in albany ever since josefson was assigned down to albany so that might be even one less center if he stays on wing.

Old
01-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

he's up there as the worst skater in the NHL, but he'll bring grit and hard work

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:13 PM
njdevilsjds
Fire DeBoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Weathers View Post
he's up there as the worst skater in the NHL, but he'll bring grit and hard work
I had no clue Henrique was that bad of a skater i mean i knew he was not the best but man haha

Old
01-21-2011, 09:16 PM
apice3*

Quote:
I had no clue Henrique was that bad of a skater i mean i knew he was not the best but man haha
I think he's referring to Clarkson, and he's correct.

Old
01-21-2011, 09:18 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
We have plenty of defensive prospects that are 1-3 years away. We need a PMD that can immediately step into our top 6. I don't know Y. Weber well enough to say either way, but is he that kind of player? I was under the impression he wasn't quite ready to be a full-time NHL caliber player.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:25 PM
Mgd31

Apollo Creed is talking about Clarkson

Mgd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:32 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
We have plenty of defensive prospects that are 1-3 years away. We need a PMD that can immediately step into our top 6. I don't know Y. Weber well enough to say either way, but is he that kind of player? I was under the impression he wasn't quite ready to be a full-time NHL caliber player.
He will be next year for sure.

He's got quite a big shot. He can pass the puck well and he's a righty. They're a little harder to come by. He's 5'11, though and better paired with a bigger guy. He's not afraid to hit, or be hit.

He surprisingly has 2 points (1g, 1a) in 3 playoff games. He'll be given time this year to play. He's pretty close to being NHL ready. You see the odd mistake, but he is paired with Spacek a lot. He should, (if he stays with Montréal) play pretty much the rest of the season (barring injury) and get some more playoff games under his belt.

At the 2007 NHL combine, he apparently was one of, if not the strongest prospects (rookies, or whatever) there.

He has 5 assists in 19 games, playing 2nd pp unit for the most part and with the 3rd line.

Keep in mind Montréal struggles to score goals just like the devils do.

If Montréal were to re-sign Wiz and Marky, then there's really no room for him. He could be available, but maybe more in the off-season. However, Clarkson's grit would be needed in the playoffs.

Though, aside from Subban, Weber and Mac Bennett, habs are kinda short on OD too. St. Denis was a FA signing and probably a career AHLer. Though Brendon Nash looks like a nice signing.

On the other hand, if you need centre prospects, Ben Maxwell imo, is very available with a pick to make it more fair.

Eller, Leblanc and Pleks and Gomez here long term along with Desharnais and I'd say Engqvist who's pretty damn good defensively are all ahead of him.

He has 29 points in 34 games. He's also 6'1 about 200lbs.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Forsead

Well as a Habs fan I would think that a trade for Clarkson could be very well made between the two team, also the guy would be a great fit in our team and likely fill an hole and IMO will make the team better.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:49 PM
njdevilsjds
Fire DeBoer

Quote:
I think he's referring to Clarkson, and he's correct.
Oh my bad and yes he definately is not a good skater.

Old
01-21-2011, 11:38 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I'd consider giving up Gunnarsson for Clarkson, Clarkson may be a bit overpaid but I do like what he brings in terms of physical play, a 3rd line of Versteeg/Clarkson/Armstrong would be pretty awesome.

As for Gunnarsson vs. the Weber offer, both were drafted in 2007, both are currently on a real cheap deals, and both become RFAs at the end of this season. Gunnar is 6'2", a good skater, fairly solid defensively, and pretty good with the puck. He's getting bottom pairing minutes in Toronto, but a big part of that is that we have a pretty locked in top 4 of Kaberle, Schenn, Phaneuf and Beauchemin, not to mention guys like Komisarek and Aulie (and Lebda, ugh) battling with Gunnar for bottom pairing minutes. Even still, he's put up a respectable 6 goals, 22 points in his 78 career NHL games so far (with 3rd pairing ES minutes, plenty of PK time and virtually no PP time). Compare this to the 0 goals, 5 points in 26 NHL games put up by the 5'10" Yannick Weber and I think Gunnarsson is the more valuable young dman, I definitely see him as a guy with 2nd pairing potential, someone who can be solid with and without the puck.
Gunnarsson isn't a Habs' prospect though. The topic is the value of Clarkson to Montreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianeh View Post
Habs would (hopefully) have no interest in Clarkson. He's a 4th liner making top 6 money.

With the guys they have to sign after this year, giving him 3 mill a year for the next 2 would be a huge mistake.
Really? We're not seeing the same guy here. As a matter of fact, some see Clarkson as a "core player" even.

In my humble opinion, Clarkson is a solid third line player who can fill in on the second line from time to time. He's very much in the mold of Chris Neil in Ottawa.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 12:17 AM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov 28 View Post
What? Points wise not even close, and goals still no

Plus the leafs traded Hagman, Stajan who would have had more

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:09 AM
Rutabaga

2.67M for a third liner, thats too much.

He is a solid player, and we need some toughness and grit. Right.
But he's not a good skater though, and we know thats almost a conditio sine qua non to play with that team.

We also already have, at least, 5 wingers better than him (and possibly 6 as they are likely to keep Eller in Montreal), and you have to give Ryan White a shot before considering a move like this.

Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 09:03 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
2.67M for a third liner, thats too much.

He is a solid player, and we need some toughness and grit. Right.
But he's not a good skater though, and we know thats almost a conditio sine qua non to play with that team.

We also already have, at least, 5 wingers better than him (and possibly 6 as they are likely to keep Eller in Montreal), and you have to give Ryan White a shot before considering a move like this.
Actually, I'm thinking of having him, White AND Moen on the team. Need to get tougher, not replace the toughness.

Old
01-22-2011, 11:01 AM
NJD1982

Weber+3rd would be great.

But if a trade for just picks were made would you accept a, Clarkson for MTL 2011 1st?

NJD1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD1982 View Post

But if a trade for just picks were made would you accept a, Clarkson for MTL 2011 1st?
Let's be honest here. Clarkson is not worth a first round pick and never will.

As for the other option, I'd give that for Clarkson and Arnott (pending UFA).

Old
01-22-2011, 11:52 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD1982 View Post

In order for Clarkson to be worth a 1st, he's needs to learn how to play hockey.

Old
01-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
In order for Clarkson to be worth a 1st, he's needs to learn how to play hockey.
hahaha!

good one.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote