HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Islanders claim Nabokov off waivers, will not report

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2011, 12:33 PM
CTU2fan

vCash: 500
What are the chances he actually plays out the season with NYI? I'd guess he's dealt, and they should be able to get something of value for him. He's immediately the #2 available goalie option after Vokoun, assuming Vokoun's really available.

Old
01-22-2011, 12:36 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
What are the chances he actually plays out the season with NYI? I'd guess he's dealt, and they should be able to get something of value for him. He's immediately the #2 available goalie option after Vokoun, assuming Vokoun's really available.
You can't trade him, only waive.

Old
01-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
You can't trade him, only waive.
You can trade him, but you have to waive him first... which obviously makes trading a contract that cheap pretty much impossible.

Old
01-22-2011, 12:40 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You can trade him, but you have to waive him first... which obviously makes trading a contract that cheap pretty much impossible.
Which was point my point.

Yes technically you can trade him, but if he has any value then someone will pick him up off waivers.

Old
01-22-2011, 12:40 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Wow, I need to read the CBA I guess. That's too bad, if the Isles were allowed to move him they could really help themselves. Good for parity...

Old
01-22-2011, 12:44 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 857
Quote:
Wow, I need to read the CBA I guess. That's too bad, if the Isles were allowed to move him they could really help themselves. Good for parity...
This is from Bob McKenzie last night (prior to the Islanders' claim today):

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=350469

Quote:
-- as a pro player who has played in Europe after the NHL season has begun, Nabokov is subject to some specific waiver regulations (which are different from "normal" waivers for players who start and finish the season in the NHL) after the initial claim has been made.

That includes the following:

-- If the team that claims and is awarded Nabokov decides to subsequently trade or assign the player, they must:

a) put Nabokov back on waivers again, where any team, including the Detroit Red Wings, could then claim him. Again, priority claim belongs to the team lowest in the standings.
Only if Nabokov clears waivers would the team holding his rights be able to trade him.

b) get Nabokov's permission to put him on waivers and/or trade him as Nabokov, once he is a member in good standing of the NHL, has a No Movement Clause in his contract.

Only if those conditions are satisfied could Nabokov end up up with a team other than the one who claimed him on waivers from DET.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-22-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old
01-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Joe Black

Too bad the Isles grabbed him first he could have been what the Flyers need for the Stanley ,cause you know the young Bobby in nets could use a mentor with all the Stanley Cup finals this year . Oh yes the Flyers will be in the finals this year

Old
01-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Jester

Quote:
Not so much parity as the fact that it stops teams from putting in waiver claims simply to turn around and make a deal... obviously that would screw up the entire system.

Old
01-22-2011, 12:52 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
This is from Bob McKenzie last night

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=350469
Thanks for that. So he is indeed an Isle for the duration most likely. Is it the same for Forsberg if the Avs try to add him? Or are the criteria different since I don't think he's played pro this season (unless I missed that, I'd thought he'd only practiced with MoDo.)

Old
01-22-2011, 12:55 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Thanks for that. So he is indeed an Isle for the duration most likely. Is it the same for Forsberg if the Avs try to add him? Or are the criteria different since I don't think he's played pro this season (unless I missed that, I'd thought he'd only practiced with MoDo.)
The waivers issue doesn't apply because Forsberg didn't play in Europe this season.

Old
01-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Which was point my point.

Yes technically you can trade him, but if he has any value then someone will pick him up off waivers.
To state an obvious rhetorical question: Why would a team trade for a goalie they could have just claimed for free off waivers?

... Unless they want to dump a salary that the waiving team wants... and are willing to take a chance of losing him to a team behind you in the waiver claiming pecking order.

I always loved recall-able waivers -- I believe in MLB -- where a team would waive a player only to recall the waiver once claimed... then the team would attempt to hammer out a trade with the team that wanted him and claimed him. This was a way of sniffing out suitors... but was IMO a phony rule that was in place to foster 'funny business'... so to speak.

Old
01-22-2011, 01:07 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
He doesn't want to be making $50K a year doing some blue collar job either... I would hope professional athletes--especially those on the fringe like Leighton is--have a bit more perspective than you appear to.

Assuming Leighton and family manage their money wisely, $3M over a couple of years can go a long way towards making the rest of your life quite comfortable.
He'll take the money, but he'd rather be getting paid $3M to be in the NHL with a different than the AHL for us. He was upset when he was waived, unclaimed, and sent down, that's not someone who is satisfied just cashing a check, there's a measure pride in there, too.

Old
01-22-2011, 01:30 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
To state an obvious rhetorical question: Why would a team trade for a goalie they could have just claimed for free off waivers?

... Unless they want to dump a salary that the waiving team wants... and are willing to take a chance of losing him to a team behind you in the waiver claiming pecking order.

I always loved recall-able waivers -- I believe in MLB -- where a team would waive a player only to recall the waiver once claimed... then the team would attempt to hammer out a trade with the team that wanted him and claimed him. This was a way of sniffing out suitors... but was IMO a phony rule that was in place to foster 'funny business'... so to speak.
Possibly due to cap constraints. In Nabbys case 570k, it doesn't have that factor, but say a 3-4mil contract in which the other team needs to get rid of one of their contracts to acquire him.

My first response omitted that possibility because it is extremly unlikely that he would clear, thus they can't trade him.

Old
01-22-2011, 01:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

RT @TSNBobMcKenzie: Sources tell TSN that Evgeni Nabokov has decided to NOT report to NYI after being claimed on waivers today.

Old
01-22-2011, 01:45 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
can they just waive him again until a playoff team gets him?

Old
01-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
RT @TSNBobMcKenzie: Sources tell TSN that Evgeni Nabokov has decided to NOT report to NYI after being claimed on waivers today.
He has a lot in common with their fans, then.

Old
01-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Possibly due to cap constraints. In Nabbys case 570k, it doesn't have that factor, but say a 3-4mil contract in which the other team needs to get rid of one of their contracts to acquire him.

My first response omitted that possibility because it is extremly unlikely that he would clear, thus they can't trade him.
The thing is though that a team can clear Cap space themselves via the same method... waiving the player they would be 'trading'... and not risk losing the player they want to claim. Or they could trade a player for prospects or picks to clear Cap space... There really is little reason to pass on a desired waiver player and then trade for the waived player once cleared.

And yes, I agree, the low Cap hit with Nabby really makes a Cap dump almost totally unnecessary for most teams.

Old
01-22-2011, 01:59 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
This is why I don't like this waiver system. DET signed him, they should get him. End of story. If they waive him later then that's their deal, but it is just silly to force a new signee to go through waivers.

Also this from ESPN_Burnside:

Quote:
Guess after all those Stanley Cups and Vezinas Nabokov can afford to snub the Isles. Oh wait.

Old
01-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Yes... all the teams he snubbed and insulted could turn around and do him a solid.

Old
01-22-2011, 02:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
This is why I don't like this waiver system. DET signed him, they should get him. End of story. If they waive him later then that's their deal, but it is just silly to force a new signee to go through waivers.

Also this from ESPN_Burnside:
It forces teams to not hide people in Europe for the whole season, and vice-versa for the players.

Old
01-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
That's game. good lord. Why does Hedberg go out of his mind against us?

Old
01-22-2011, 02:25 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Zing

Old
01-22-2011, 02:34 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Judging from how McKenzie wrote it: If the Islanders put him back on waivers, with his permission, and only Team X (say Detroit) puts in a waiver claim on that re-entry then he can play for that team.

Old
01-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
haha that is true! Will hurt him playing in the NHL however, as I think he has to sit out the whole season if he does.

Will he even be considered an "Islander" of he does not report?

Old
01-22-2011, 02:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

RT @KatieStrangNYI: #Isles GM Garth Snow: "We claimed him off waivers, he has a SPC. My position is that he's a New York Islander and we look fwd to having him"

RT @Real_ESPNLeBrun: To recap, even though the agent has informed Isles that Nabokov doesn't want to report, Snow is waiting to hear back from the player himself

Closed Thread