HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Fixing the Sens

Old
01-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

vCash: 500
Fixing the Sens

So it can be agreed, the Sens are atrocious top to bottom inside and out so lets see if we can suggest a few moves.

1. Put in a claim for Nabokov- He wants to be a starter and that can be easily done paying in Ottawa for the rest of this season.

2. Sign in the off-season either Vokoun or Nabokov to a three or four year deal.

3. Trades
a) Fisher to Nashville for Austin Watson and a 3rd round pick in 2011
b) Spezza to Edmonton for Hemsky and Cogliano
c) Phillips to SJ for Setoguchi
4) Kuba to LA for a 3rd round pick in 2011
5) Kovalev and Lee to the NYR for McDonaugh and a 4th round pick in 2011
6) Ruutu to Pittsburgh for a 4th round pick in 2011
7) Leclaire to Carolina for a 3rd round pick in 2011

4. Fire Murray at seasons end(immediately after final game)

5. Fire Clouston(same day as Murray) replace with a legit NHL coach who has legit NHL experience

6. Draft RNH or Coutierre with lottery pick

7. Sign Brad Richards(if at all posisble) as a UFA to replace Spezza

8. Sign 1-2 more UFA cheap forwards on 1-2 year deals only in the summer of 2011

9. Sign 1-2 cheap UFA dmen on 1-2 year deals in the summer of 2011

10. Admit to fanbase you have a plan, a 2-3 year partial rebuild with another lottery pick most likely in 2012

11. Take a Colorado/Dallas/Tampa approach to rebuilding

Last edited by Zetterberg4Captain: 01-22-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Zetterberg4Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Sideline

Trades 5 and 6 make no sense for the other teams involved. I'll leave it to fans of other teams to judge the rest...

Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:11 AM
wej20

Nashville, Pittsburgh, Rangers and Carolina don't do those trades.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:17 AM
JackBauer

you gave up on lettering half way through?

ottawa does not trade spezza, especially for that package.
if we are trading philips, i want a pick.
do not want richards.

props for not trading michalek though.

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:20 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

If the sens are going to go in rebuild mode, Richards isn't going to sign with them

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:24 AM
theneuf33
@TheDamager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
you gave up on lettering half way through?
hes a wings fan= dumb
also say all those things could happen its not a bad plan too bad it hinges on 7 other teams to take the sens garbage out for them

theneuf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Pyke*

Spezza is not being traded.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Highbrow
Alfie, Alfie, Alfie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
So it can be agreed, the Sens are atrocious top to bottom inside and out so lets see if we can suggest a few moves.

1. Put in a claim for Nabokov- He wants to be a starter and that can be easily done paying in Ottawa for the rest of this season.

2. Sign in the off-season either Vokoun or Nabokov to a three or four year deal.

3. Trades

5. Fire Clouston(same day as Murray) replace with a legit NHL coach who has legit NHL experience

8. Sign 1-2 more UFA cheap forwards on 1-2 year deals only in the summer of 2011

10. Admit to fanbase you have a plan, a 2-3 year partial rebuild with another lottery pick most likely in 2012

The Senators are NOT signing Nabokov to a 3-4 year contract! Your Red Wings can do that if they want a backup for Howard but enjoy having him until 38-39 with absolutely no way of him coming off your books.

I'd love Vokoun but two years would be ideal. That said, I don't think he's going to join this train wreck at season's end.

Spezza isn't going to be traded. We land McDonaugh in a Kovalev trade? Count me in. Unfortunately, Sather doesn't become foolish until July 1st. Leclaire can be had for much less but doesn't Carolina also have Peters who is quite capable? I'd prefer if the Senators were to land a 2nd + prospect for Phillips but if that weren't possible, I'd say yes to the Seto deal.

Murray will not be fired. He will either retire, resign, or be promoted to upper management in some advisory role. Clouston will be let go, yes.

Landeskog is the top focus for Ottawa I believe. Second choice would be RNH. Third would be Strome.

Overpay for Richards? No thank you. We will still have Spezza. Ottawa should work to develop a young center from within the organization (easier said than done, yes).

Ottawa would be wise to sign some veteran UFAs to one-year deals and then trade them as rentals to contenders at next year's deadline.

If things were to go roughly along those lines, it would be apparent what the game plan was in Ottawa.

Highbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Beerfish

Pretty bold and detailed assessment there and good on you for going to the trouble to do it. Sometimes you need that 'tear it down - build it up attiude'. Pretty tough obviously to make that many moves in a year but at least you seem to have a plan.

The one move that the Sens made last year that I thought was totally ridiculous when I heard it was the Gonchar deal.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:02 AM
YZ77

Quote:

3. Trades

1. Yes, claim Nabby...uhh NO. We don't want to get better THIS year, do we?
2. Why would Vokoun want to sign here. And no long-term deals for OLDer goalies.
3. a) Would like the return from Nashville for Fisher, but would the Preds do that???
b) Spezza isn't going anywhere
c) I'd take a chance on Seto...and then resign Phillips for a couple of years.
d) Kuba for a 3rd would be fine by me
e) I don't think Sather likes Murray much...I wouldn't mind getting McDo, and maybe the Rags could use Kovalev
f) Ruutu to anybody for a 4th...but the Pens don't need him
g) Who are we kidding...nobody in their right mind would want Leclaire...he'll be playing in Europe, if he's lucky, next year.

4. Fire Murray today. Hire new GM who can evaluate whether he wants Clouston around for the rebuild.

5. Clouston??? Wait 'til season's end. That said, both a GM and coach with a great track record, and proven NHL experience would be nice.

6. Draft the best player available, regardless of position.

7. Forget Richards...were looking for young and affordable players

8. Play the rookies, they are our future.

9. See 8.

10. Admit to fanbase you have a plan, a 2-3 year partial rebuild with another lottery pick most likely in 2012....AGREED.

11. Save cap space and re-build like Edmonton.

YZ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

hey i agree with alot of what you are all saying and appreciate the feedback.

as for fisher to nashville. if a player like fisher couldnt land a mid first round pick then no wonder no trades happen anymore. i personally feel fisher is exactly what the preds need now and that watson could easily be replaced with another mid first round pick in 2011(which they will have)

as far as kovalev to the rags. this was probably the one i would take back as mcdonaugh is likely to good of a prospect though i do think the rags could use some more forward depth for their playoff push and kovalev has a good production history in NY.

i dont think spezza is what the sens need. i think he has had his chances here and for whatever reason he hasent yet choosen to grow as a player. the fans are brutal on him and a change of scenery would maybe do him some good. if anyone thinks, beyond sens fans, that spezza is worth more then hemsky and cogliano your nuts.

the rest is blah

Old
01-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Minister of Offence

: badidea::du nce::baghe ad:

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:17 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 717
Spezza to Edmonton? Deja vu.

White Goodman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Pyke*

Quote:
hey i agree with alot of what you are all saying and appreciate the feedback.

as for fisher to nashville. if a player like fisher couldnt land a mid first round pick then no wonder no trades happen anymore. i personally feel fisher is exactly what the preds need now and that watson could easily be replaced with another mid first round pick in 2011(which they will have)

as far as kovalev to the rags. this was probably the one i would take back as mcdonaugh is likely to good of a prospect though i do think the rags could use some more forward depth for their playoff push and kovalev has a good production history in NY.

i dont think spezza is what the sens need. i think he has had his chances here and for whatever reason he hasent yet choosen to grow as a player. the fans are brutal on him and a change of scenery would maybe do him some good. if anyone thinks, beyond sens fans, that spezza is worth more then hemsky and cogliano your nuts.

the rest is blah
Yeah we know. Going from being a pure scoring player to one of our top defensive forwards, playing on the #1 PK and being responsible in all three zones, as well as being a leader on the club, totally represents "not growing as a player".

Do you even watch the Sens?

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
Yeah we know. Going from being a pure scoring player to one of our top defensive forwards, playing on the #1 PK and being responsible in all three zones, as well as being a leader on the club, totally represents "not growing as a player".

Do you even watch the Sens?
i actually question whether you do?

top defensive forwards? are you kiding? i know your a sens fan but jesus this si akn to me calling kris draper one of detroits offensive forwards.

spezza may ahve improved slightly but he is nowhere near a solid and/ore reliable defensive forward as he still makes his drop pass to nobody on a daily basis.

Old
01-23-2011, 07:58 PM
fear the grier

Quote:

3. Trades

1. Nabokov wants to help a team in the playoffs, thus his not going to NYI..he's not going to OTT

2. Nabokov isn't signing on to be part of a rebuild, and I don't think Vokoun will either

3a. If Fisher gets moved hes worth more than a 3rd round pick regardless of who the prospect is who comes with it

b. I don't see Spezza getting moved, especially for that package. Cogs is a 3rd line player for a bad team now, and Spezza is much better than Hemsky. Why would Ottawa want to move probably their best offense player for another bottom 6 forward and downgrade in terms of Spezza to Hemsky

c. SJ doesn't move Setoguchi.

d. LA wouldnt take Kuba, they need to puck the puck in the net more they dont need another D...but Kuba could be moved somewhere for a pick

e. I dont see NYR taking another forward who plays when he wants, and I dont think that works out in terms of cap space for NYR. Not to mention you'd want to get higher than a 4th coming back to OTT

f. Don't think Pittsburgh needs Ruutu, but he could go elsewhere

g. I don't know if LeClaire is worth a 3rd

4/5. I agree with getting rid of Murray and Clouston, but if you're going with a total rebuild why not bring in a young coach with some energy to bring up a young team. What veteran coach who's been successful with young clubs did you have in mind? I can't think of any that are available.

6. Keep losing and you'll get one of them

7. Richards isnt signing long term for a rebuild that would last 2-4 years.

8/9. Signing a few forwards and d for a rebuild is tricky. They have to be solid enough players on and off the ice to show young players how to go about daily life in the NHL. You'd probably have to overpay to sell the rebuild, like COL did with Darcy Tucker and TB did with Malone

10/11. Once the fans see moves being made theyll figure out the team is in a rebuild unless theyre dumb. And if you want to take a COL/DAL/TB approach you build down the middle

fear the grier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 08:09 PM
Clamshells

Quote:
spezza may ahve improved slightly but he is nowhere near a solid and/ore reliable defensive forward as he still makes his drop pass to nobody on a daily basis.
hmm well you're wrong about that.

Spezza has 19 giveaways in 32 games, which comes out to 29 over 49 games, which puts him in a tie for 85th in the league in giveaways (btw, Crosby's pace is 34 giveaways in 49 games)

also, he would be tied for 20th in the league for takeaways, had he played the equivalent number of games.

Last edited by Clamshells: 01-23-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Clamshells is online now   Reply With Quote