HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nabokov claimed by Islanders. Will not report & Can't be traded

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2011, 04:35 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gn2007 View Post
Like everyone saying if he don't report islanders can just screw him for next year bc he won't be able to be a free agent at all
whats the ruling for this? i was under the impression that he would not be able to play for any other team THIS season. meaning he'd be free to choose in the off season.. can someone quote something from the rulebook?

Old
01-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Isles Junkie

i'm bored with this movie. I'm gonna go see what else is on.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
i think most people are wondering why they didnt just keep roloson instead of burning detroit and forcing a goalie in his 30s to no mans land. Its the bi-polarness of it that bugs people.

Two weeks ago they trade their goalie to tank and two weeks later they need some wins
DiPietro injured, Lawson injured + not NHL caliber, and Poulin not ready.

Old
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

This thread and the previous one might be the biggest overreaction to a situation I've seen on here.

Old
alpine4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
Link?
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=350550

Old
deekortiz3

Quote:
Originally Posted by despec View Post
There is a possibility that Nabokov will not be allowed to sign a new contract in the off season unless he fulfills his current one.
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=350469

From McKenzie...
Quote:
If Nabokov is a claimed by a team but decides it is not a team for which he would like to play, he has the right not to report and not play in the NHL for the balance of the season.
That should be it. Unless someone has proof of anything else... He can resign as a UFA in the summer.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:37 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavartrick View Post
False, his agent stated that Nabakov would play for any team that decided to claim him.
Granted, that the team would give him a chance to be a #1 (which is what he would get with the Islanders anyway).

IMO, bad move by Nabokov. If he wants to piss a chance away to showcase himself for next season, so be it.

Old
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
i think most people are wondering why they didnt just keep roloson instead of burning detroit and forcing a goalie in his 30s to no mans land. Its the bi-polarness of it that bugs people.

Two weeks ago they trade their goalie to tank and two weeks later they need some wins
You are absolutely right. It does look bipolar. Couldnt agree more. Having said that, in this situation they were in they thought this was the right move. Even if they didnt put in a claim, other teams before Detroit would have gotten him. I hated the Roloson move, btw.

Old
J22

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Of Bates View Post
Christ

Half of the people in this thread are clueless about how GM's are supposed to run your team.

You pick up a top goaltender on waivers, for extremely cheap, who is better than your tandem of goaltenders. You're not making the playoffs, but you let this top goaltender play in hopes that he does, in fact, like the organization. In UFA period, you then try to swoon this goaltender for sticking around since you have given him a chance in a starting role and maybe give him more money than other teams etc.

So, yes, Garth Snow looks foolish for doing something that I'm sure at least 10 other teams have done.
Says an Islanders/Snow fan. Too funny

Old
gongshowmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekortiz3 View Post

From McKenzie...

That should be it. Unless someone has proof of anything else... He can resign as a UFA in the summer.
that's a long time not to be playing hockey if he doesn't report.

Old
SomeDude

Quote:

They gained an asset for a player they were going to lose, and then another player, who could replace the player they moved for said asset, fell into their laps for free. Why wouldn't they take him?

Old
01-22-2011, 04:38 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

I imagine he's going to report once the dust blows over. I understand this situation is far from ideal, but you guys do understand one thing:

He is now going to be suspended. He is not allowed to sign a new contract until he reports to the Islanders and they no longer have him suspended. Those of you posting "THIS SEASON" have no idea what you are saying(How ironic)

Notice how Radulov still has to report to Nashville when he comes back to the NHL, if ever, because he's not only suspended, but property of Nashville.

Dur Dur Durrrrrr. Nabby is only screwing himself. I don't blame him for not reporting, but he's the one that left the NHL. So deal with it.

Old
crashthenet

Quote:

Roloson was owed over a million dollars and was traded.

Nabokov wasn't clearing waivers.

Old
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
whats the ruling for this? i was under the impression that he would not be able to play for any other team THIS season. meaning he'd be free to choose in the off season.. can someone quote something from the rulebook?
Isn't this similar to the Radulov situation where by not fulfilling his current NHL contract terms he can't return to the NHL and sign a new contract until he completes his old one.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:39 PM
gongshowmonkey

I'm pretty sure there's a conspiracy theory around this whole thing.

Anyone wanna take a stab at it?

Old
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
Says an Islanders/Snow fan. Too funny
I'm not a Snow fan, but the premise behind the move is how a GM is supposed to run their team. To get better.

You cannot blame Snow for everything when your owner runs the ship and tells you what you can and cannot do.

But, pretend like you know about the organization more.

Old
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:

From McKenzie...

Read that more carefully. It does NOT say that Nabokov is a free agent this summer.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4life View Post
This is after he was claimed... before his agent said he would report to any team.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Claypool
Montreal is garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by despec View Post
DiPietro injured, Lawson injured + not NHL caliber, and Poulin not ready.
Lawson was injured late last night. For all we know the Islanders put in a claim for Nabokov before he was injured.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:41 PM
gongshowmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Read that more carefully. It does NOT say that Nabokov is a free agent this summer.
Yeah, this needs to be clarified. Someone go call Bob McKenzie

Old
GilliesGirlie

Everyone keeps bringing up the trading of Roloson and why they did that only to claim Nabby.

I think (and I may be totally off base) that trading Roloson was a favor to Dwayne, he was a class act on the Isles both on and off the ice. He wanted to play for a contender and a chance at a strong playoff run, so the Isles gave him that.

Old
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

If the Islanders put him back on waivers, do the Wings have the #1 priority because of their initial contract?

Old
01-22-2011, 04:42 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:

From McKenzie...

if thats the case than it should be perfectly fine.. snow did what he should've done to make his team better.. nabby is doing what he has the right to do which is not play for a team that clearly has no chance to compete for the cup..

Old
mizzoublues29
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongshowmonkey View Post
I'm pretty sure there's a conspiracy theory around this whole thing.

Anyone wanna take a stab at it?
Global Warming.

Old
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
Granted, that the team would give him a chance to be a #1 (which is what he would get with the Islanders anyway).
If he or his agent would have said "If I am claimed by a team who I feel does not give me a chance at winning a Cup or increasing my value for next year, I will not report." I don't think many people would have a problem.

From what was reported, all the memo said was that he hopes and/or expects to compete as a #1. It didn't say a #1 for a contender, or if he's claimed to be a back up he won't show up.

Even if it did, Snow would still have a right to claim him to block him from helping another team.

Closed Thread