HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nabokov claimed by Islanders. Will not report & Can't be traded

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2011, 03:48 PM
lsx

vCash: 500
There's a script for all of this somewhere, you know that Meehan has a flow chart mapped out for exactly what moves they will make based on what happened in the waiver process.

Old
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by despec View Post
Seems like Detroit is the desperate one trying to get Nabokov considering it is such a long shot to think 29 teams will not put in a claim.
Thats a noobish comment. Detroit is the most successful franchise in the past 2 decades. They're a rich organization. They have no problem selling out games. And they are a top team despite long term injuries to several key players, including our best player.

Detroit doesn't do desperate. If they were desperate, they could've given Nabokov a bigger contract to deter more people from taking him and worried about the cap issues once players started coming off LTIR.

Old
gongshowmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
Bob Mckenzie posted all the info on this whole thing last night heres the coles notes:
Any team can claim him, if he doesn't report to the team they have 2 options.
1.suspend without pay=done for season
2. put him back on waivers.

If put back on waivers the same process is gone through again meaning every team has a shot at him. Meaning if multiple claims are put in the worst team gets him. Detroit doe not get preference. Also if people were following closely Nabokov did say he wouldn't play for a non contender about 1-2weeks ago.

the questions is if he is a UFA or not next season if option 1 is the outcome.

Old
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4life View Post
was updated a 3:36PM ET and says directly in the title:
"SAYS HE WILL NOT REPORT"
The guy is a loser...go back to Russia! He was the one who took his pads and stick and went home...

Old
01-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetFoxes View Post
Here's my stance from Nabokov's point of view:

The rule in place is a perfectly valid one to the situations it means to apply to (ie. "stashing" a player) but it isn't really fair to the players who just couldn't find a contract and needed to prove their worth in a league overseas. I (Nabokov) apply to the second one.

I sign with the Wings but I know the rule is in place. My agent, for some reason, tells the rest of the league that I will show up to whoever claims me. A few days later, I am claimed by a bottom feeder. I am pissed. I thought I would be playing for the best team in the league but I knew the rule. I took the risk and it backfired on me. Now I can do one of two things.. grow up and play the game to try and increase my value for a return next year or don't do this.

Seems to me it's Nabokov being unable to suck it up and play.
because playing in front of the islanders is really gonna help his stats

Old
01-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
i think most people are wondering why they didnt just keep roloson instead of burning detroit and forcing a goalie in his 30s to no mans land. Its the bi-polarness of it that bugs people.

Two weeks ago they trade their goalie to tank and two weeks later they need some wins

I realize I said I'm bored with this thread, but I'm going to respond to this.

Things change in 2 weeks. It was foolish to bank on the health of Rick DiPietro, but that is another issue entirely.

What is so difficult for the non NYI fan to understand here.

DiPietro can't handle the work load. Their backup goalie Lawson got injured last night. Their #1 goalie prospect needs more time to develop in the AHL.

DiPietro played on Thursday. Isles had a game on Friday. DiPietro didn't even dress. The Isles need to carry 3 goalies because of 2021s fragility. and they'd simply rather have Poulin who is their #1 goalie prospect play more often in the AHL then he would in the NHL.

Not ONCE this season was DiPietro pulled from a game and the backup took his place. Not ONCE this season was Roloson or Lawson pulled from a game & DiPietro took his place. This leads me to believe that the Islanders have some sort of plan in place for DP. On his days to play, he plays no matter what. On his days to backup, unless there's an injury, the goalie can let up 10 goals and it won't matter, DP isn't coming in to relieve him.

like I said in a post 10 pages or so ago. All of the fans complaining are the same ones who complain every July 1 when the NYI are unable to sign players, question whether or not Tavares should sign another contract after his ELC, and complain that the Islanders are "tanking and don't even try." Well here it is. They tried to get a solid goalie which would afford them the opportunity to develop their #1 goalie prospect the right way, but somehow, someway that was a dumb move on their part.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:50 PM
JT 91 NYI*

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisournextbure View Post
I knew it and this just makes me dislike NYI and snow even more...
We're in better shape than the Florida Panthers though

Old
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Quote:
Hey

Still waiting on some proof? Or are you willing to admit you are just making stuff up
Jesus ya know how overloaded google is ya? I'm searching for the damn TSN story they had it as a headline!

Old
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Detroit doesn't do desperate. If they were desperate, they could've given Nabokov a bigger contract to deter more people from taking him and worried about the cap issues once players started coming off LTIR.

So they decided go through all the trouble to sign Nabokov for the hell of it?

Old
gongshowmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
because playing in front of the islanders is really gonna help his stats
I don't think he cares about stats considering his stats last years
44 16 10

didnt get him a contract in the NHL

Old
01-22-2011, 03:51 PM
gn2007

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....geni_nabo.html

this article talks about his agent saying he will play for any team

Meehan said Nabokov will play regardless of where he ends up, nixing speculation that he would sit out the season if he were claimed by a club for whom he did not want to play.

“He wants to get visibility for next year,” Meehan said.

Old
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycineta View Post
Now, the only thing I'd like clarification on is if he would for sure be a UFA on July 1st or if this "contract refusual to report" could make him property of the Isles in the 11-12 season. When the dust settles, he may well report.
I think it would be "contract refusal to report". That contract went through waivers and is now official. I could be wrong on this, but I think the Isles would have the right to suspend him and keep him in limbo until he decides to honor the contract and report.

Old
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by robat19 View Post
Pretty sure the original statement was that he only wanted to go somewhere that he had a shot at being the #1 goalie.
He would probably have that opportunity with DP and his injury history. Nowhere there does it say a "contender".

Old
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Isn't this similar to the Radulov situation where by not fulfilling his current NHL contract terms he can't return to the NHL and sign a new contract until he completes his old one.
I thought this at first but its posible that a different rule applies since radulov was in an ELC and hasnt met the NHL requirements for UFA status

Old
01-22-2011, 03:52 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

lol @ Nabby...what a baby!

Old
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
I think it would be "contract refusal to report". That contract went through waivers and is now official. I could be wrong on this, but I think the Isles would have the right to suspend him and keep him in limbo until he decides to honor the contract and report.
I would think this the case but I highly doubt Islanders will force Nabokov to sit until he honors the contract.

Old
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglepride View Post
For me the situation on both sides is clear the only thing to blame here is this stupid rule.
The rule makes perfect sense. No one is to blame here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anatsu View Post
If Nabokov reports to Islanders, why he can't be traded? Can you explain me or give me that part of CBA, where that is stated?
Section 13.23. He can be traded, he would just have to clear waivers first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
well that was why im asking if anyone knew.. the poster that i quoted, quoted bob mckenzie.. and it would make sense that bob mckenzie from tsn knew what he was talking about
No, the poster is not reading Bob's quote carefully enough. Bob said nothing about being able to play next season if he does not report. Bob only said he would sit out this season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deekortiz3 View Post
Radulov was in the middle of a three year contract. He is a different situation.

Aside from that no one has managed to provide any proof that Nabby can't sign anywhere he wants this summer.
How is it different? Radulov was in a middle of a 3 year deal. Nabokov is in the middle of a 1 year deal. The length of deals makes no difference.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:53 PM
MXD

I get the feeling that the Grand Rapids Griffins will offer a contract to Nabokov...

Old
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Well ok so the article on tsn.com http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=350469

quotes from bob mckenzie(assuming that he knows what hes talking about)
Quote:
If Nabokov is a claimed by a team but decides it is not a team for which he would like to play, he has the right not to report and not play in the NHL for the balance of the season.
now obviously it doesnt state whether he would be a UFA this off-season but im assuming that he would become a UFA again because otherwise mckenzie woulda stated it? i donno just a shot in the dark

Old
dbaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongshowmonkey View Post
the questions is if he is a UFA or not next season if option 1 is the outcome.
I think its obvious. He will be a UFA. This has happened in the past and people simply didnt care about it because it wasnt a well known player. They are not paying him if hes suspended therefore he has no obligation to the team and the team has nothing owed to them. They can say he does because they claimed him off waivers but Nabokov can claim he signed the deal with Detroit not NYI. Basically theres too much stupid **** that can be argued and they will just cancel each other out. 100% he will be a UFA.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:54 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
The rule makes perfect sense. No one is to blame here.

Section 13.23. He can be traded, he would just have to clear waivers first.

No, the poster is not reading Bob's quote carefully enough. Bob said nothing about being able to play next season if he does not report. Bob only said he would sit out this season.

How is it different? Radulov was in a middle of a 3 year deal. Nabokov is in the middle of a 1 year deal. The length of deals makes no difference.
ok, so since it sounds like you know what you are talking about, can you find me the info where it says hes stuck in the NYI organization until they decide to "un-suspend" him?

Old
01-22-2011, 03:54 PM
ocarina

Quote:
I would think this the case but I highly doubt Islanders will force Nabokov to sit until he honors the contract.
Maybe, but if you're Snow, what do you have to lose? If what I said is true, then Snow has all the leverage and Nabokov can't go anywhere else until he decides to honor the contract. Nabokov can cry all he want, but if he is serious about his NHL career, he will suck it up and report.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Claypool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
Well ok so the article on tsn.com http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=350469

quotes from bob mckenzie(assuming that he knows what hes talking about)

now obviously it doesnt state whether he would be a UFA this off-season but im assuming that he would become a UFA again because otherwise mckenzie woulda stated it? i donno just a shot in the dark

The contract Nabokov signed was only through the remainder of the season. If he doesn't report, he'll be a UFA on July 1.

Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I don't blame him for not reporting to a garbage team like the Islanders, but I also don't blame a garbage team for claiming him to try and improve their squad for a bit.

Old
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I get the feeling that the Grand Rapids Griffins will offer a contract to Nabokov...
He can't play in the AHL this season, due to having played in Europe for a certain length of time (might have been 1/2 the season, or after the new year, can't remember exactly)

Even if he could, he has a legally binding contract with the New York Islanders for the rest of the 10-11 season.

Closed Thread