HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nabokov claimed by Islanders. Will not report & Can't be traded

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2011, 03:56 PM
mygameworn

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
Bob Mckenzie posted all the info on this whole thing last night heres the coles notes:
Any team can claim him, if he doesn't report to the team they have 2 options.
1.suspend without pay=done for season
2. put him back on waivers.

If put back on waivers the same process is gone through again meaning every team has a shot at him. Meaning if multiple claims are put in the worst team gets him. Detroit doe not get preference. Also if people were following closely Nabokov did say he wouldn't play for a non contender about 1-2weeks ago.

It's too bad Nabby doesn't get to choose where he plays. Entitled players make the league look bad. He should go back to the KHL.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:56 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by despec View Post
So they decided go through all the trouble to sign Nabokov for the hell of it?
Quote:
We tried something, and hes been claimed by another team, general manager Ken Holland said. We move on. Its the nature of the rules and the league.

Holland said the Wings will continue to keep their eyes open, but Nabokov represented a special situation in that he didnt require moving any assets in a trade and was cheap enough to fit onto a healthy Wings squad and still stay below the salary cap.
Read more: Wings lose Nabokov to Islanders | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/2011012...#ixzz1BntU6j7Y

Old
01-22-2011, 03:57 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by anatsu View Post
If Nabokov reports to Islanders, why he can't be traded? Can you explain me or give me that part of CBA, where that is stated?
cant quote it but the logic behind it is to prevent the team that wants to acquire the player from making a deal with a team at the bottom of the standings to guarantee that they will get their player.

Old
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
What have the Isles done to compete, besides loading up on Flotsam & Jetsam to fill their roster the last 10+ years? The trade away their decent players for picks, sign minor leaguers, stock up on draft picks (which they blow btw), spend the league minimum (if that), and on on and on ad infinitum.

The (Dis)organization has done nothing to be competitive. Why get in the way of legitimate teams trying to field competitive teams to try and win something.

I never thought I'd say this, but damn I feel bad for Islander fans. I just know they will not be able to keep their players if this continues. Bye bye Tavares and the rest of your lottery picks. Unlike many I do not believe the Islanders have a bright future. They're too dysfunctional.

Apologies to Islander fans for the bluntness.
This is a perfect example of the ridiculousness of non NYI fans.

Here we have a guy who is bashing the team for not bringing in NHL caliber talent...and then in the very next breath he is bashing the team for bringing in NHL caliber talent.

Which is it? Should they continue to do things as they have done for the last 10 years (they've made the playoffs 4 times in the last 10 years BTW) OR should they try to improve themselves?

Isles simply can not win. They're either tanking or they "get in the way of legitimate teams trying to field competitive teams to try and win something."

Say the NYI throw a contract sheet to Parise this offseason. Is the story going to be "Good bold move NYI, it's nice to see them going after an impact player." Or is the story going to be "What are you doing Islanders? So now you'll finish 20th instead of 27th? You just screwed yourself out of a higher draft pick. what is the point to this?"

Old
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
Maybe, but if you're Snow, what do you have to lose? If what I said is true, then Snow has all the leverage and Nabokov can't go anywhere else until he decides to honor the contract. Nabokov can cry all he want, but if he is serious about his NHL career, he will suck it up and report.
Because it is pointless. Nabokov could simply retire. At least with claiming Nabokov off waivers his agent specifically said Nabokov would report to any team that gives him a shot at being #1

Old
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
He can't play in the AHL this season, due to having played in Europe for a certain length of time (might have been 1/2 the season, or after the new year, can't remember exactly)

Even if he could, he has a legally binding contract with the New York Islanders for the rest of the 10-11 season.
Thanks for the AHL rule, didn't knew that.

On the Nabokov/Radulov front...

If he doesn't show up, Nabby owes a HALF season to the Isles. How could that be managed?!?!?!

Old
01-22-2011, 03:58 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Ranger Fan View Post
It's too bad Nabby doesn't get to choose where he plays. Entitled players make the league look bad. He should go back to the KHL.
I'm sorry, what? Have you ever heard of the NFL or NBA? Talk about entitlement. And those are actually popular leagues.

The only bad thing about the Nabokov situation is that casual sports/hockey fans are sitting at home thinking: "Whats going on? These rules are so confusing..." and then getting on with the rest of their lives.

Old
VM1138

The major fact we've learned here is that the waiver rules applying to Euro player are ridiculous unfair and illogical.

The second, minor fact we've learned is that the Isles were dicks to steal a player who they have no connection to, have not negotiated with, and who clearly intended (whether stated or not) to go to a contender. The super-dick move was to not waive him when he said he would not report.

EDIT: I, too, feel bad for Nabby. To think he could be going to a Cup contender or at least a solid team. His plan was to resurrect his career with a strong showing this season to get a new contract next season. Now he's going to have to go to a team he has no connection with, to basically be sacrificed to the wolves every night. Thank to the Isles, when his stats inevitably suck, he'll have trouble finding work next year. That's who I feel bad for, and I totally understand Nabby not wanting to report to destroy his career.

Old
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

Quote:
Originally Posted by gn2007 View Post
And to everyone. DO you really think he won't report to a team when he said he wants to come back to the NHL..Geez people with their minds in fantasy land

This thread is a HF classic imo. Hilarious.

Old
SlappyMcGee
=w=

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Thats a noobish comment. Detroit is the most successful franchise in the past 2 decades. They're a rich organization. They have no problem selling out games. And they are a top team despite long term injuries to several key players, including our best player.

Detroit doesn't do desperate. If they were desperate, they could've given Nabokov a bigger contract to deter more people from taking him and worried about the cap issues once players started coming off LTIR.
This -might- be true now, as I can't find a lot of current information. But I'll say this:

1) Michigan is a state whose economy has taken a massive hit.
2) http://www.behindthejersey.com/2007/...-ticket-sales/

Old
Rover*

Quote:
Read more: Wings lose Nabokov to Islanders | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/2011012...#ixzz1BntU6j7Y
What else could Holland have said?

Old
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
Well ok so the article on tsn.com http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=350469

quotes from bob mckenzie(assuming that he knows what hes talking about)

now obviously it doesnt state whether he would be a UFA this off-season but im assuming that he would become a UFA again because otherwise mckenzie woulda stated it? i donno just a shot in the dark
Thanks for finding it again. Jesus I typed all the stuff " Nabakov going to a contender only, not reporting" and what not just found damn twitter news a tool I couldn't care less about. so thanks again

Old
01-22-2011, 03:59 PM
State of Hockey

If Snow was really desperate for a goaltender, he would not have made a waiver claim for a goalie that signed an NHL contract with the clear intention to play for a contender. Banking on any public statement from an agent was mistake #1. And anybody in their right mind knows that Dipietro is not a goalie you can rely on, so the sudden dilemma is still GM-made. Strike two. In the end it's still poor management from Snow.

Old
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

I can't believe the venom behind some of the reactions here. Like another poster said, playing in the NHL is an honor, not an entitlement. I would give a toe on each foot and a finger on each hand to be a 5 minute/game 4th line goon benchwarmer. For ANY NHL team.

Old
ocarina

Quote:
Because it is pointless. Nabokov could simply retire. At least with claiming Nabokov off waivers his agent specifically said Nabokov would report to any team that gives him a shot at being #1
Which is what he would get with the Islanders.

What would be pointless about it? Nabokov could help them out a lot, if you can do something to improve your team, why not try and do it?

Old
01-22-2011, 04:00 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
I dont think snow suspending him w/o pay is a good thing for the organization from the perspective of trying to attract players to play as a part of the NYI organization.. sure, claiming him off waivers is fine, but he if clearly does not want to play for you then do him a favour and let him do his thing.. im pretty sure that shows a sign of respect from the management to the players and there would really be no down side to this except that the NYI organization wasted 3.5k

Old
01-22-2011, 04:01 PM
deekortiz3
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
How is it different? Radulov was in a middle of a 3 year deal. Nabokov is in the middle of a 1 year deal. The length of deals makes no difference.
Radulov was not a returning from a stint in the KHL. Nabokov has not played a game for NYI.

McKenzie saying that he could miss the rest of the season is quite different then saying it is a possible career ending move due to the contract. Knowing fully that odds were extremely good he would be claimed I do not see how any agent with half a brain would not see this.

I'm refusing to believe that the agent is that stupid.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:01 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
The major fact we've learned here is that the waiver rules applying to Euro player are ridiculous unfair and illogical.

The second, minor fact we've learned is that the Isles were dicks to steal a player who they have no connection to, have not negotiated with, and who clearly intended (whether stated or not) to go to a contender. The super-dick move was to not waive him when he said he would not report.

EDIT: I, too, feel bad for Nabby. To think he could be going to a Cup contender or at least a solid team. His plan was to resurrect his career with a strong showing this season to get a new contract next season. Now he's going to have to go to a team he has no connection with, to basically be sacrificed to the wolves every night. Thank to the Isles, when his stats inevitably suck, he'll have trouble finding work next year. That's who I feel bad for, and I totally understand Nabby not wanting to report to destroy his career.
Why should the Isles do any favors for Nabby if he's going to not report for them? He's giving them the finger, and they should just be nice and let him go win a cup in Detroit?

Old
01-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
Which is what he would get with the Islanders.

What would be pointless about it? Nabokov could help them out a lot, if you can do something to improve your team, why not try and do it?
Do you think Snow really wants a disgruntled goalie in the dressing room for the entire season with a bunch of kids?

Old
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
I dont think snow suspending him w/o pay is a good thing for the organization from the perspective of trying to attract players to play as a part of the NYI organization.. sure, claiming him off waivers is fine, but he if clearly does not want to play for you then do him a favour and let him do his thing.. im pretty sure that shows a sign of respect from the management to the players and there would really be no down side to this except that the NYI organization wasted 3.5k
I don't see how it would be a bad thing for the organization... if anything, they could look better by actually looking like they care about improving their team and want to create a better environment for winning.

Nabokov knew the rules going in. If you don't get what you want, tough luck.

Old
Chyzowski

Quote:
Thats a noobish comment. Detroit is the most successful franchise in the past 2 decades. They're a rich organization. They have no problem selling out games. And they are a top team despite long term injuries to several key players, including our best player.

Detroit doesn't do desperate. If they were desperate, they could've given Nabokov a bigger contract to deter more people from taking him and worried about the cap issues once players started coming off LTIR.
That's a great point and doesn't it suggest that Detroit didn't value him very highly? They had to know that they were signing him to a contract that would have been attractive to many other teams and that the chances of him being claimed was increased.

Old
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
I can't believe the venom behind some of the reactions here. Like another poster said, playing in the NHL is an honor, not an entitlement. I would give a toe on each foot and a finger on each hand to be a 5 minute/game 4th line goon benchwarmer. For ANY NHL team.
The reason you can claim such a thing is because you know you don't have a hope in hell of playing at the NHL level.

The NHL is neither an entitlement or an honor, it's an occupation.

Old
Gulvorn

Quote:
Do you think Snow really wants a disgruntled goalie in the dressing room for the entire season with a bunch of kids?
Suspended players don't dress. They sit at home making no money.

I find it hilarious that people blast teams for picking up players on waivers. But then turn around and don't blame a player for refusing to play. I hope they realize that in the real world, Detroit would have never been able to sign Nabokov if he was really UFA with no waiver restrictions because they wouldn't have had the cap space to compete with other interested teams like Tampa Bay or Colorado etc.

Old
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
maybe so, but you either didnt put in the hardwork required to play in the NHL or didnt have enough talent..

in order for these players to have gotten to the nhl required a ton of hard work and talent.. and then to further establish themselves as an all-star calibre player in the NHL requires even more hard-work... sure its an honor.. no ones arguing that, but when hes at the twilight of his career working hard for probably 25-30 years now and he wants to play for a contender to try and win that stanley cup.. you cant really blame him..

Old
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglepride View Post
Jesus ya know how overloaded google is ya? I'm searching for the damn TSN story they had it as a headline!
That was posted AFTER he was claimed. multiple sources have reoprted that his agent said he would play for anyone who claimed him

Closed Thread