HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nabokov claimed by Islanders. Will not report & Can't be traded ‎ part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2011, 04:17 PM
  #26
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Promiseland Walhalla
Posts: 3,503
vCash: 500
Seriously he doesn't report send him back on waivers jesus christ.

Eaglepride* is offline  
Old
01-22-2011, 04:17 PM
  #27
bumperkisser
Registered User
 
bumperkisser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,771
vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenough View Post
So what is it?

Quote:
If he's suspended...is he or is he not, getting UFA status?

A lot of speculation, but I haven't seen a quote yet (either from the CBA or an expert).
The thing is...
The deal was signed in January 2011, and ends in June 2011.

Unless the CBA provides that all deal are deemed to be signed in July, Nabby ends up owing 6 months (or +- 40 games) to the Isles if he doesn't report.

First : How do they manage a "owing" period of 6 months? They allow Nabby to walk in December?

Second : If Nabby is suspended, doesn't play a game, and ends up owing a WHOLE YEAR to the Isles at 550K....

Expect a lawsuit, because it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
why would he "owe" the NYI organization anything.. if they are suspending that means its W/O pay.. meaning therefore nabby doesnt owe the NYI anything and vice versa.. he just doesnt get to play with any1 else for the rest of the season

bumperkisser is offline  
Old
01-22-2011, 04:17 PM
  #28
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey
 
mouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Mountain
Posts: 11,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Thanks for the AHL rule, didn't knew that.

On the Nabokov/Radulov front...

If he doesn't show up, Nabby owes a HALF season to the Isles. How could that be managed?!?!?!
My guess is Nabby wouldn't owe anything if he sits and home and stays suspended the rest of the season. If he were however to go back to Europe this season and sign on with another team that's a different situation. Doing so would put him under "defected player" status because he has an NHL contract for 2010-2011, making it possible the league could declare he owes the Isles a season still, similar to Radulov.

mouser is offline  
Old
01-22-2011, 04:19 PM
  #29
danishh
Dat Stache
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: mtl/ott/somewhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,654
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Predsv82: "just because you say this doesnt make it so.

the rule is logical and fair.

without it there would be chaos and evey february there would be 15 aged euros signing with the top 5 teams."

The rule is not logical and fair. Teams can sign North Americans, why not Euros? And what is fair about forcing a player to play for the lowest bidder? The player has no say in this, which is what is unfair. For instance, Nabokov wanted to resurrect his career, which he can't do for a terrible team like the Islanders. That and the fact that one team spends money and time negotiating and the crappiest team to bid reaps the benefits?

It's not a fair rule, it never has been, it's just never been so obvious on such a large scale before. Just as the Blues. It's a dumb rule and there should be more player discretion. In the cap world you can't just call up a bunch of Euros anyway. It doesn't make sense.
the rule is a bit of a relic from the old cba's when the waiver draft existed, and teams could simply tell euros to stay in europe and then sign them later, so they didnt risk losing them. It is still possible for teams to do so today, just way less likely.

__________________
RIP Kev.
danishh is offline  
Old
01-22-2011, 04:19 PM
  #30
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!
 
ProPAIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paris
Country: Belgium
Posts: 11,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr199435 View Post
Anyone know what the deal here is? I have to make a call between picking up Nabokov or Kiprusoff off waivers in my fantasy pool, trying to figure out who would be the better bet.
How is this a hard decision?

ProPAIN is offline  
Old
01-22-2011, 04:19 PM
  #31
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,265
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Predsv82: "just because you say this doesnt make it so.

the rule is logical and fair.

without it there would be chaos and evey february there would be 15 aged euros signing with the top 5 teams."

The rule is not logical and fair. Teams can sign North Americans, why not Euros? And what is fair about forcing a player to play for the lowest bidder? The player has no say in this, which is what is unfair. For instance, Nabokov wanted to resurrect his career, which he can't do for a terrible team like the Islanders. That and the fact that one team spends money and time negotiating and the crappiest team to bid reaps the benefits?

It's not a fair rule, it never has been, it's just never been so obvious on such a large scale before. Just as the Blues. It's a dumb rule and there should be more player discretion. In the cap world you can't just call up a bunch of Euros anyway. It doesn't make sense.
Teams cannot sign "north americans" but not "euros". its not about nationality its about where the player signs a contract. What other "north american" league is there? the AHL? Players would be subject to waivers from the AHL just like europe...

the whole point of the rule is to keep cap strapped teams from telling players "look we cant fit you under the cap this summer but go play in europe and then we can fit you in come february.. thats very fair and very logical and if you dont understand it its just because you dont want to or rather you dont want your team to have to play by the rules

PredsV82 is online now  
Old
01-22-2011, 04:19 PM
  #32
dfk711*
The real #11
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Country: Finland
Posts: 20,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
Wait.............so you're telling me a sports agent..............lied?

I don't believe it.
show me the money

dfk711* is offline  
Old
01-22-2011, 04:19 PM
  #33
Gulvorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio St/Cincy/Dayton
Country: United States
Posts: 4,578
vCash: 500
As a result of refusing assignment, Detroit loses out on $3,375.

Additionally, doesn't help Nabokovs image.

Gulvorn is offline  
Old
01-22-2011, 04:20 PM
  #34
detredWINgs
Registered User
 
detredWINgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
So why exacly isn't he reporting? *******...
I love these comments. I'm sorry, but is Nabby not a human being? Is he wrong to do what makes him happy? Hes 35 years old. If he wanted to play for any team in the NHL, he would've signed for peanuts months ago. He didn't. He wanted to play for a contender, and he wanted to get paid. Now that he realizes he can't get paid, he accepts a lowball contract, but he still wants to play for a contender.

Nabby isn't some young kid. Hes a man with a family. And he has every right to choose to spend time with his family than go play for a team that has no future.

Its not like he got traded. Its not like he pulled a Radulov. He signed with the team that has the most illustrious history in the past 2 decades. He took a gamble and he lost. Now he'll wait it out, and guaranteed, when next season rolls around, he'll take the most reasonable offer that comes from a contending team.

detredWINgs is offline  
Old
01-22-2011, 04:20 PM
  #35
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
So why exacly isn't he reporting? what an *******...
Snow is the A-hole, not Nabokov. He was a free agent who signed for a team A. He really wanted to play with and B. that has a chance to win the cup. Who the **** is Snow to just come in and pry him away for a team that is nowhere near being cup contenders? I would of done the exact same thing being in Nabby's place.

Maxpac is offline  
Old
01-22-2011, 04:21 PM
  #36
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenough View Post
So what is it?

If he's suspended...is he or is he not, getting UFA status?

A lot of speculation, but I haven't seen a quote yet (either from the CBA or an expert).
The CBA says a player can not reach UFA status until his SPC has expired.

So, my thinking is his contract cannot expire if it never started. His contract can't start until he reports.

Paranoid Android is offline  
Old
01-22-2011, 04:21 PM
  #37
SomeDude
Registered User
 
SomeDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburghish
Posts: 5,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenough View Post
So what is it?

If he's suspended...is he or is he not, getting UFA status?

A lot of speculation, but I haven't seen a quote yet (either from the CBA or an expert).
It's probably going to take some time to sift through all of this. First off he hasn't been suspended yet. Who knows if he changes his mind and just shows up?

Just to throw another scenario out there, If and that is a huuuuge if, he would have to fulfill his contract before becoming a UFA (personally I don't believe this is the case), could he not just retire? When Palffy retired as a Penguin and talk of a comeback started, it was found that if he came back while his contract with the Pens would have still been in affect, he would have been Penguins property, but if he came back after that contract would have expired, he could be a UFA.

So say tomorrow, Nabokov retires. If he comes back in July, his contract would have run it's course.

I still think that people are getting worked up about nothing, though. Just as there are different rules when it comes to keeping the rights of a drafted European player, I beleive there are different rules when someone is suspended for leaving for a European league.

SomeDude is offline  
Old
01-22-2011, 04:21 PM
  #38
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh
 
Mr Wentworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,907
vCash: 500
Eaglepride..


Still waiting for that link and some kind of proof that his agent sent a memo to all the GMs about just reporting to conteders.

Or is Google still overloaded?


Mr Wentworth is offline  
Old
01-22-2011, 04:21 PM
  #39
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
My guess is Nabby wouldn't owe anything if he sits and home and stays suspended the rest of the season
This is my guess as well.

Quote:
. If he were however to go back to Europe this season and sign on with another team that's a different situation. Doing so would put him under "defected player" status because he has an NHL contract for 2010-2011, making it possible the league could declare he owes the Isles a season still, similar to Radulov.
Again... That would be akin to extending a contract without Nabby's consent. Radulov left on July 11th, which meant he owed the Preds basically a full-year (and a full NHL season).

And if that happens, expect a lawsuit against the NHL attacking either the CBA provision that enables the league to take such a measure, or some kind of legal action to the legal arbitrator named in the CBA against a decision extending the contract against Nabby's consent, if the CBA doesn't provide anything regarding that matter.


Last edited by MXD: 01-22-2011 at 04:26 PM.
MXD is offline  
Old
01-22-2011, 04:21 PM
  #40
bumperkisser
Registered User
 
bumperkisser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,771
vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
I love these comments. I'm sorry, but is Nabby not a human being? Is he wrong to do what makes him happy? Hes 35 years old. If he wanted to play for any team in the NHL, he would've signed for peanuts months ago. He didn't. He wanted to play for a contender, and he wanted to get paid. Now that he realizes he can't get paid, he accepts a lowball contract, but he still wants to play for a contender.

Nabby isn't some young kid. Hes a man with a family. And he has every right to choose to spend time with his family than go play for a team that has no future.

Its not like he got traded. Its not like he pulled a Radulov. He signed with the team that has the most illustrious history in the past 2 decades. He took a gamble and he lost. Now he'll wait it out, and guaranteed, when next season rolls around, he'll take the most reasonable offer that comes from a contending team.
this lol... everyone whos saying nabby is a **** for sitting out really needs to look at the scenario from every angle

bumperkisser is offline  
Old
01-22-2011, 04:21 PM
  #41
Rover*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 13,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Snow is the A-hole, not Nabokov. He was a free agent who signed for a team A. He really wanted to play with and B. that has a chance to win the cup. Who the **** is Snow to just come in and pry him away for a team that is nowhere near being cup contenders? I would of done the exact same thing being in Nabby's place.
Nabokov's AGENT said his client was willing to play for ANY team that he could contend for a #1 spot.

Rover* is offline  
Old
01-22-2011, 04:22 PM
  #42
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS
 
Chairman Mallard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pacifica / Sec 202
Country: United States
Posts: 15,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by despec View Post
Well blame Meehan than not Islanders for claiming him.
Find where I blamed the Islanders please.

I said nothing of the sort.

Chairman Mallard is offline  
Old
01-22-2011, 04:22 PM
  #43
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,265
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglepride View Post
Seriously he doesn't report send him back on waivers jesus christ.
why? so the next team that claims him has to do the same thing? nobody owes Nabokov any favors. he signed his deal knowing this could happen and now he has to deal with it.

PredsV82 is online now  
Old
01-22-2011, 04:22 PM
  #44
iPunch
Leafs Fan
 
iPunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,058
vCash: 133
Anyone know if this effects the Islanders waiver priority should he decline to report?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Leaf fans LOLing at other teams is so odd to me.
It's because Wang n' Snow do hilarious things all the time. And people say hilarious things about them (Osgood). Great source of comedic relief.

iPunch is offline  
Old
01-22-2011, 04:23 PM
  #45
bullocks
Registered User
 
bullocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
When they traded Roloson they had Rick DiPietro & Nathan Lawson healthy. When they claimed Nabokov they have neither DiPietro or Lawson healthy.

You want to talk about the subject at hand, then at least know the details.

Now betting on Rick being healthy...that was the stupid move by Snow.

And again, if you people are so insistent on bringing up Roloson, then wouldn't you trade Roloson for a prospect & Nabokov also?

Leaf fans LOLing at other teams is so odd to me.
Yes, because i'm a Leafs fan. I guess the avatar and title name doesn't give it away enough.

Anyways, the Islanders must have been dreaming if they thought he'd actually report. Besides what his agent said, obviously it was a bluff and many people on here actually figured so.

bullocks is offline  
Old
01-22-2011, 04:23 PM
  #46
hgo
Registered User
 
hgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 7,890
vCash: 500
There's still an outside chance that Nabokov reports after all. Garth Snow certainly seems to think this is going to be the case.

hgo is offline  
Old
01-22-2011, 04:23 PM
  #47
bumperkisser
Registered User
 
bumperkisser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,771
vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
why? so the next team that claims him has to do the same thing? nobody owes Nabokov any favors. he signed his deal knowing this could happen and now he has to deal with it.
so that management doesnt look like an ass for disrespecting their players. playing in the NHL is a business.. the road between players and management is a 2-way street.. just like if one of their players asks for a trade, its in managements best interest to try and fulfill that need w/o hurting their club

bumperkisser is offline  
Old
01-22-2011, 04:23 PM
  #48
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol
 
WalterSobchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Gutter Alley
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
That makes sense.

Still, if he owes a whole season, while at first signing a 6-month deal...

Expect a lawsuit.
there is no such thing as a 6 month deal. he signed a 1 year deal. It is pro-rated due to when it was signed, but there is no such thing as a 6 month deal...doesn't exist.

WalterSobchak is offline  
Old
01-22-2011, 04:24 PM
  #49
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 35,488
vCash: 500
Don't really see why there is so much need for people to assign blame and appoint good guys and bad guys in this situation. It's just an NHL business deal, albeit a specific one that doesn't occur frequently.

Epsilon is offline  
Old
01-22-2011, 04:24 PM
  #50
ledzep1212
Watch Broad City
 
ledzep1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lindenhurst
Country: United States
Posts: 1,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Snow is the A-hole, not Nabokov. He was a free agent who signed for a team A. He really wanted to play with and B. that has a chance to win the cup. Who the **** is Snow to just come in and pry him away for a team that is nowhere near being cup contenders? I would of done the exact same thing being in Nabby's place.
lol at Snow "Prying" Nabokov away from the Wings, get the **** out of here with that ********. Snow did nothing wrong, Lawson got hurt last night, and DP has been dealing with some knee and flu problems, and he wants Poulin in Bridgeport to continue his development. This is on Meehan and Nabokov for saying he would report to any team that claimed him.

ledzep1212 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.