HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nabokov claimed by Islanders. Will not report & Can't be traded ‎ part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

vCash: 500
Seriously he doesn't report send him back on waivers jesus christ.

Old
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenough View Post
So what is it?

Quote:
If he's suspended...is he or is he not, getting UFA status?

A lot of speculation, but I haven't seen a quote yet (either from the CBA or an expert).
The thing is...
The deal was signed in January 2011, and ends in June 2011.

Unless the CBA provides that all deal are deemed to be signed in July, Nabby ends up owing 6 months (or +- 40 games) to the Isles if he doesn't report.

First : How do they manage a "owing" period of 6 months? They allow Nabby to walk in December?

Second : If Nabby is suspended, doesn't play a game, and ends up owing a WHOLE YEAR to the Isles at 550K....

Expect a lawsuit, because it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
why would he "owe" the NYI organization anything.. if they are suspending that means its W/O pay.. meaning therefore nabby doesnt owe the NYI anything and vice versa.. he just doesnt get to play with any1 else for the rest of the season

Old
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Thanks for the AHL rule, didn't knew that.

On the Nabokov/Radulov front...

If he doesn't show up, Nabby owes a HALF season to the Isles. How could that be managed?!?!?!
My guess is Nabby wouldn't owe anything if he sits and home and stays suspended the rest of the season. If he were however to go back to Europe this season and sign on with another team that's a different situation. Doing so would put him under "defected player" status because he has an NHL contract for 2010-2011, making it possible the league could declare he owes the Isles a season still, similar to Radulov.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:19 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Predsv82: "just because you say this doesnt make it so.

the rule is logical and fair.

without it there would be chaos and evey february there would be 15 aged euros signing with the top 5 teams."

The rule is not logical and fair. Teams can sign North Americans, why not Euros? And what is fair about forcing a player to play for the lowest bidder? The player has no say in this, which is what is unfair. For instance, Nabokov wanted to resurrect his career, which he can't do for a terrible team like the Islanders. That and the fact that one team spends money and time negotiating and the crappiest team to bid reaps the benefits?

It's not a fair rule, it never has been, it's just never been so obvious on such a large scale before. Just as the Blues. It's a dumb rule and there should be more player discretion. In the cap world you can't just call up a bunch of Euros anyway. It doesn't make sense.
the rule is a bit of a relic from the old cba's when the waiver draft existed, and teams could simply tell euros to stay in europe and then sign them later, so they didnt risk losing them. It is still possible for teams to do so today, just way less likely.

ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr199435 View Post
Anyone know what the deal here is? I have to make a call between picking up Nabokov or Kiprusoff off waivers in my fantasy pool, trying to figure out who would be the better bet.
How is this a hard decision?

Old
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Predsv82: "just because you say this doesnt make it so.

the rule is logical and fair.

without it there would be chaos and evey february there would be 15 aged euros signing with the top 5 teams."

The rule is not logical and fair. Teams can sign North Americans, why not Euros? And what is fair about forcing a player to play for the lowest bidder? The player has no say in this, which is what is unfair. For instance, Nabokov wanted to resurrect his career, which he can't do for a terrible team like the Islanders. That and the fact that one team spends money and time negotiating and the crappiest team to bid reaps the benefits?

It's not a fair rule, it never has been, it's just never been so obvious on such a large scale before. Just as the Blues. It's a dumb rule and there should be more player discretion. In the cap world you can't just call up a bunch of Euros anyway. It doesn't make sense.
Teams cannot sign "north americans" but not "euros". its not about nationality its about where the player signs a contract. What other "north american" league is there? the AHL? Players would be subject to waivers from the AHL just like europe...

the whole point of the rule is to keep cap strapped teams from telling players "look we cant fit you under the cap this summer but go play in europe and then we can fit you in come february.. thats very fair and very logical and if you dont understand it its just because you dont want to or rather you dont want your team to have to play by the rules

Old
dfk711*
The real #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
Wait.............so you're telling me a sports agent..............lied?

I don't believe it.
show me the money

Old
Gulvorn

As a result of refusing assignment, Detroit loses out on $3,375.

Additionally, doesn't help Nabokovs image.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:20 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
So why exacly isn't he reporting? *******...
I love these comments. I'm sorry, but is Nabby not a human being? Is he wrong to do what makes him happy? Hes 35 years old. If he wanted to play for any team in the NHL, he would've signed for peanuts months ago. He didn't. He wanted to play for a contender, and he wanted to get paid. Now that he realizes he can't get paid, he accepts a lowball contract, but he still wants to play for a contender.

Nabby isn't some young kid. Hes a man with a family. And he has every right to choose to spend time with his family than go play for a team that has no future.

Its not like he got traded. Its not like he pulled a Radulov. He signed with the team that has the most illustrious history in the past 2 decades. He took a gamble and he lost. Now he'll wait it out, and guaranteed, when next season rolls around, he'll take the most reasonable offer that comes from a contending team.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
So why exacly isn't he reporting? what an *******...
Snow is the A-hole, not Nabokov. He was a free agent who signed for a team A. He really wanted to play with and B. that has a chance to win the cup. Who the **** is Snow to just come in and pry him away for a team that is nowhere near being cup contenders? I would of done the exact same thing being in Nabby's place.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
So what is it?

A lot of speculation, but I haven't seen a quote yet (either from the CBA or an expert).
The CBA says a player can not reach UFA status until his SPC has expired.

So, my thinking is his contract cannot expire if it never started. His contract can't start until he reports.

Old
SomeDude

Quote:
So what is it?

It's probably going to take some time to sift through all of this. First off he hasn't been suspended yet. Who knows if he changes his mind and just shows up?

Just to throw another scenario out there, If and that is a huuuuge if, he would have to fulfill his contract before becoming a UFA (personally I don't believe this is the case), could he not just retire? When Palffy retired as a Penguin and talk of a comeback started, it was found that if he came back while his contract with the Pens would have still been in affect, he would have been Penguins property, but if he came back after that contract would have expired, he could be a UFA.

So say tomorrow, Nabokov retires. If he comes back in July, his contract would have run it's course.

I still think that people are getting worked up about nothing, though. Just as there are different rules when it comes to keeping the rights of a drafted European player, I beleive there are different rules when someone is suspended for leaving for a European league.

Old
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Eaglepride..

Still waiting for that link and some kind of proof that his agent sent a memo to all the GMs about just reporting to conteders.

Or is Google still overloaded?

Old
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
My guess is Nabby wouldn't owe anything if he sits and home and stays suspended the rest of the season
This is my guess as well.

Quote:
. If he were however to go back to Europe this season and sign on with another team that's a different situation. Doing so would put him under "defected player" status because he has an NHL contract for 2010-2011, making it possible the league could declare he owes the Isles a season still, similar to Radulov.
Again... That would be akin to extending a contract without Nabby's consent. Radulov left on July 11th, which meant he owed the Preds basically a full-year (and a full NHL season).

And if that happens, expect a lawsuit against the NHL attacking either the CBA provision that enables the league to take such a measure, or some kind of legal action to the legal arbitrator named in the CBA against a decision extending the contract against Nabby's consent, if the CBA doesn't provide anything regarding that matter.

Last edited by MXD: 01-22-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
I love these comments. I'm sorry, but is Nabby not a human being? Is he wrong to do what makes him happy? Hes 35 years old. If he wanted to play for any team in the NHL, he would've signed for peanuts months ago. He didn't. He wanted to play for a contender, and he wanted to get paid. Now that he realizes he can't get paid, he accepts a lowball contract, but he still wants to play for a contender.

Nabby isn't some young kid. Hes a man with a family. And he has every right to choose to spend time with his family than go play for a team that has no future.

Its not like he got traded. Its not like he pulled a Radulov. He signed with the team that has the most illustrious history in the past 2 decades. He took a gamble and he lost. Now he'll wait it out, and guaranteed, when next season rolls around, he'll take the most reasonable offer that comes from a contending team.
this lol... everyone whos saying nabby is a **** for sitting out really needs to look at the scenario from every angle

Old
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Snow is the A-hole, not Nabokov. He was a free agent who signed for a team A. He really wanted to play with and B. that has a chance to win the cup. Who the **** is Snow to just come in and pry him away for a team that is nowhere near being cup contenders? I would of done the exact same thing being in Nabby's place.
Nabokov's AGENT said his client was willing to play for ANY team that he could contend for a #1 spot.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by despec View Post
Well blame Meehan than not Islanders for claiming him.
Find where I blamed the Islanders please.

I said nothing of the sort.

Old
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglepride View Post
Seriously he doesn't report send him back on waivers jesus christ.
why? so the next team that claims him has to do the same thing? nobody owes Nabokov any favors. he signed his deal knowing this could happen and now he has to deal with it.

Old
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Anyone know if this effects the Islanders waiver priority should he decline to report?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Leaf fans LOLing at other teams is so odd to me.
It's because Wang n' Snow do hilarious things all the time. And people say hilarious things about them (Osgood). Great source of comedic relief.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:23 PM
bullocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
When they traded Roloson they had Rick DiPietro & Nathan Lawson healthy. When they claimed Nabokov they have neither DiPietro or Lawson healthy.

You want to talk about the subject at hand, then at least know the details.

Now betting on Rick being healthy...that was the stupid move by Snow.

And again, if you people are so insistent on bringing up Roloson, then wouldn't you trade Roloson for a prospect & Nabokov also?

Leaf fans LOLing at other teams is so odd to me.
Yes, because i'm a Leafs fan. I guess the avatar and title name doesn't give it away enough.

Anyways, the Islanders must have been dreaming if they thought he'd actually report. Besides what his agent said, obviously it was a bluff and many people on here actually figured so.

Old
hgo

There's still an outside chance that Nabokov reports after all. Garth Snow certainly seems to think this is going to be the case.

Old
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
why? so the next team that claims him has to do the same thing? nobody owes Nabokov any favors. he signed his deal knowing this could happen and now he has to deal with it.
so that management doesnt look like an ass for disrespecting their players. playing in the NHL is a business.. the road between players and management is a 2-way street.. just like if one of their players asks for a trade, its in managements best interest to try and fulfill that need w/o hurting their club

Old
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
That makes sense.

Still, if he owes a whole season, while at first signing a 6-month deal...

Expect a lawsuit.
there is no such thing as a 6 month deal. he signed a 1 year deal. It is pro-rated due to when it was signed, but there is no such thing as a 6 month deal...doesn't exist.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Don't really see why there is so much need for people to assign blame and appoint good guys and bad guys in this situation. It's just an NHL business deal, albeit a specific one that doesn't occur frequently.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:24 PM
ledzep1212
Watch Broad City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
lol at Snow "Prying" Nabokov away from the Wings, get the **** out of here with that ********. Snow did nothing wrong, Lawson got hurt last night, and DP has been dealing with some knee and flu problems, and he wants Poulin in Bridgeport to continue his development. This is on Meehan and Nabokov for saying he would report to any team that claimed him.

Closed Thread