HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nabokov claimed by Islanders. Will not report & Can't be traded ‎ part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Rover*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglepride View Post
Seriously he doesn't report send him back on waivers jesus christ.
So where is the quote saying Nabokov will only play for contending teams?

Old
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
That makes sense.

Still, if he owes a whole season, while at first signing a 6-month deal...

Expect a lawsuit.
He signed a one year contract.

Old
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Snow is the A-hole, not Nabokov. He was a free agent who signed for a team A. He really wanted to play with and B. that has a chance to win the cup. Who the **** is Snow to just come in and pry him away for a team that is nowhere near being cup contenders? I would of done the exact same thing being in Nabby's place.
How so?

I can't wait until I can call Pierre Gauthier a butt loving A-hole for doing something to make his team better.

Old
ISLESnPANTHERS

I say let Nabby chill in Russia till next season. Deuces.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:25 PM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Snow is the A-hole, not Nabokov. He was a free agent who signed for a team A. He really wanted to play with and B. that has a chance to win the cup. Who the **** is Snow to just come in and pry him away for a team that is nowhere near being cup contenders? I would of done the exact same thing being in Nabby's place.
You are completely oblivious to what a general manager is supposed to do.

If Snow didn't do it, SOMEONE ELSE WOULD HAVE. He wasn't making it to Detroit at that salary. No chance in hell.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:25 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by despec View Post
Nabokov signed a contract and before he signs another contract he must fulfill his first one. By refusing to report and play he is not fulfilling his first contract.
He signed a contract with the New York Islanders?

Old
01-22-2011, 04:26 PM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

What really pisses me off is UFA players coming back from europe having nothing to say about where they want to go and also draft players having no say.

I'm sure the NHLPA will work heavily towards a more players interests league and rightfully so.

Old
BloatedGuppy

The waiver rule is fair and sensible and in place to prevent cap circumvention.

If Nabokov wanted to play for a contender so badly he could've signed this deal in the off-season and it wouldn't have been an issue.

Lesser goalies than Nabokov have played well behind worse teams than the Islanders. There is no guarantee that backstopping them would "ruin his career". He could just as easily resurrect his standing as a top goaltender by playing well.

Refusing to report is a prima donna maneuver and is being justly criticized.

Old
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
From everything I've gathered, it's not the same as the Radulov situation. He will be a UFA come July.
and where have you gathered this information, oh wise one?

The Yashin situation, while from a previous CBA, sets a precident that a player can't just leave a team and take a year off and thus be let out of their contract.

The contract is binding for all of the NHL and until the Islanders sell that contract they own Nabokov.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
He signed a contract with the New York Islanders?
No but Islanders are now in contract with Nabokov after claiming him off waivers.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
What really pisses me off is UFA players coming back from europe having nothing to say about where they want to go and also draft players having no say.
I'm sure the NHLPA will work heavily towards a more players interests league and rightfully so.
You do know the intent of that rule, right?

Nabby isn't reporting. Looks like has a say to me.

I'd Google the meaning of the rule, but it is overloaded at the moment.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:28 PM
kolider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
When they traded Roloson they had Rick DiPietro & Nathan Lawson healthy. When they claimed Nabokov they have neither DiPietro or Lawson healthy.

You want to talk about the subject at hand, then at least know the details.

Now betting on Rick being healthy...that was the stupid move by Snow.

And again, if you people are so insistent on bringing up Roloson, then wouldn't you trade Roloson for a prospect & Nabokov also?

Leaf fans LOLing at other teams is so odd to me.
I think the issue people have is the fact that Nabokov came back to play for a contender, and the Isles simply are not one of them. Everyone basically knew there was a high chance he would get claimed by somebody. But at the very least, it should be by a team that either:

a. Legitimately need a goalie to make a post-season/Cup run - The Isles are not.

b. Really want to screw over the Wings since they may face them in the post-season - Again, the Isles are not one of those teams.

So why pick him up? To finish 22nd in the league instead of 28th? It's too late to even make a playoff push - if this happened in November or *maybe* early December - I could see why they give Nabokov a shot, but not now.

Old
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
The waiver rule is fair and sensible and in place to prevent cap circumvention.

If Nabokov wanted to play for a contender so badly he could've signed this deal in the off-season and it wouldn't have been an issue.

Lesser goalies than Nabokov have played well behind worse teams than the Islanders. There is no guarantee that backstopping them would "ruin his career". He could just as easily resurrect his standing as a top goaltender by playing well.

Refusing to report is a prima donna maneuver and is being justly criticized.
It has nothing at all to do with cap circumvention.

Old
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Osgood sure doesn't mince words.

Old
Sens4thecup

nabokov should be placed on waivers 30 times this season, each time being claimed by a new team!

Old
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
He could have just gotten traded to a playoff team like Roloson did, anyways.

It's the reason any UFA signs with the Pittsburgh Pirates, sure you gotta play on a crappy team for a couple of months, but you've got a good shot at getting traded to the Yankees.

Nabokov tried it his way and it didn't work.

Old
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:

he had 2 options when he decided not to sign an NHL contract last off season. Sign no where and wait. Go to the KHL and play.

Once he made that decision he could have waited until the next NHL off-season to choose where he plays or take his chances in the waivers process.

Old
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
why? so the next team that claims him has to do the same thing? nobody owes Nabokov any favors. he signed his deal knowing this could happen and now he has to deal with it.
Exactly. He could be put on waivers again and get claimed by another team that doesn't "suit his needs", get put on waivers again, then maybe get to another team that isn't a right fit for him...and so on. That's not how it's supposed to work. Sorry Nabby...you knew the risks, gambled, and lost. So do the right thing and honor your contract.

Old
HoosierDaddy

Dear Isles Junkie...

This is a perfect example of the ridiculousness of non NYI fans.

Here we have a guy who is bashing the team for not bringing in NHL caliber talent...and then in the very next breath he is bashing the team for bringing in NHL caliber talent.

Which is it? Should they continue to do things as they have done for the last 10 years (they've made the playoffs 4 times in the last 10 years BTW) OR should they try to improve themselves?

Isles simply can not win. They're either tanking or they "get in the way of legitimate teams trying to field competitive teams to try and win something."

I admire the fight in you, but that said, you are drinking some potent Orange and Blue koolaide Pal. Please continue believing you the Isles are doing all they can to win. The line of veterans leaving the Island is longer and more crowded than the LIE heading to the beach on a long Summer weekend. The Isles do not need to Tank, They are THAT bad. IMO they will continue to accrue draft picks and still run in place as they most likely will not be able to resign their players or attract FA (I hope, for your sake, that I'm wrong here).

The only way they compete is if they play the Rangers 82 times a year.

Old
VM1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Of Bates View Post
You are completely oblivious to what a general manager is supposed to do.

If Snow didn't do it, SOMEONE ELSE WOULD HAVE. He wasn't making it to Detroit at that salary. No chance in hell.

It's not that he didn't end up in Detroit, not completely. If he would have ended with a playoff bubble team that'd be one thing. Snow intentionally screwed Nabokov over. I understand they need a goalie but at this point the Isles season is over. They could sign Terry Sawchuck and it wouldn't make a difference. Clearly Nabokov is not their goalie of the future, so it's a pointless move. Why screw over a veteran player and make yourself look bad for a rental to not even make playoffs with?

Old
01-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Rover*

Quote:

Of course UFA players do as long as they didn't play overseas. Look at Forsberg and Sundin.

You do realize the negative impact there would be if draft players get to choose where they play right?

Old
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:

well good luck with that. eevery major sport has rules for drafting players, otherwise there would be total chaos

as for the euros signed players, they KNEW the rules, so why should they think they dont have to play by them?

you may not think the speed limit or income taxes are fair, but if you dont follow the rules, you will suffer consequences

Old
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
there is no such thing as a 6 month deal. he signed a 1 year deal. It is pro-rated due to when it was signed, but there is no such thing as a 6 month deal...doesn't exist.
It doesn't really matter. The deal was signed on January 20th (or 21st) and is to be effective for a 5-month period.

Now, if Nabby signed something to the effect that the deal was signed on July 1st, that's his problem.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:30 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafidelity View Post
Anyone know if this effects the Islanders waiver priority should he decline to report?
Doesn't affect the Islanders waiver priority whether he reports or not.

Waiver priority is always based on standings, it doesn't change because a team claimed a player on waivers. i.e. the team with the worst record will always have first priority even if they claim a dozen or more players.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Classless and it's not even close...

Closed Thread