HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nabokov claimed by Islanders. Will not report & Can't be traded ‎ part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Rover*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolider View Post
I think the issue people have is the fact that Nabokov came back to play for a contender, and the Isles simply are not one of them. Everyone basically knew there was a high chance he would get claimed by somebody. But at the very least, it should be by a team that either:

a. Legitimately need a goalie to make a post-season/Cup run - The Isles are not.

b. Really want to screw over the Wings since they may face them in the post-season - Again, the Isles are not one of those teams.

So why pick him up? To finish 22nd in the league instead of 28th? It's too late to even make a playoff push - if this happened in November or *maybe* early December - I could see why they give Nabokov a shot, but not now.
Again Nabokov's agent said Nabokov is willing to play for ANY team that gives him a shot at being #1 goalie.

Old
kolider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Of Bates View Post
You are completely oblivious to what a general manager is supposed to do.

If Snow didn't do it, SOMEONE ELSE WOULD HAVE. He wasn't making it to Detroit at that salary. No chance in hell.
Based on the length of Nabokov's contract and the entire purpose surrounding it, no, Snow is NOT supposed to do this.

There are quite a few other NHL teams that I think should have put the claim in for a variety of reasons, but Snow has none.

Old
GeeoffBrown

If Nabokov reports to the Isles, there's gonna be a lot of people in these threads that look stupid...

Old
01-22-2011, 04:31 PM
kolider

Quote:
Originally Posted by despec View Post
Again Nabokov's agent said Nabokov is willing to play for ANY team that gives him a shot at being #1 goalie.
Well clearly his agent is lying or misspoke because clearly Nabokov won't report.

Old
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullocks View Post
Islanders are a joke lol Do they even know what direction their team is headed? They trade Rolly just to get better and claim Nobakov? lol
Let me help ya.

1.The isles had a 3 goalie rotation in Bridgeport.2 of their top goalie prospects and Lawson were splitting time,but only Poulin was doing well.

2.The plan was to move Rolison and have Lawson come up from Bridgeport,letting the two kids get move games in at Bridgeport.

3.Lawson left last night's Isles/Sabre game with a knee injury.Press reports from the Sabres/Isles game said he'd be seeing the team doctors today.

4.Coming into this season,DiPietro hasdplayed something like a total of 12 games.The isles won't overwork him,as he tries to comeback from his surgeries.

Got it?

Old
Nolanitis

I believe the difference between Radulof and Nabokov is that Nabokov was UFA that was claimed through a waiver process and he owes no time in service beyond this year. The fact the Isles suspend him does not make the contract longer. As for Radulof, he never had ufa status and left in the middle of a contract. Therefore he cannot get ufa status until he completes his contract.

Old
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
So why exacly isn't he reporting? what an *******...
He came back to the NHL for two reasons.

1) To have a chance at a cup
2) To earn a starting job next season

If he wanted to come back to play for the Islanders he would have signed with the Islanders.

Old
Rover*

Quote:
Based on the length of Nabokov's contract and the entire purpose surrounding it, no, Snow is NOT supposed to do this.

There are quite a few other NHL teams that I think should have put the claim in for a variety of reasons, but Snow has none.
Maybe he wants to improve his team? Difficult concept I know.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Vitto79

so what is he going to do get a voided contract, sign again then go back on waivers. Then he'll get picked up by another team he does'nt lke and not report again?

Old
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
he had 2 options when he decided not to sign an NHL contract last off season. Sign no where and wait. Go to the KHL and play.

Once he made that decision he could have waited until the next NHL off-season to choose where he plays or take his chances in the waivers process.
Well option two is exactly what he will do now I think. Screw the season and maybe retire till july 1 and then sign with a team he believes will be a contender next year. At least thats my guess.

Old
VM1138

Quote:

That's the rub right there. What do the Isles need with Nabokov as a rental goalie? They're not making playoffs, they can't even make a run for it. Now, if Nabby had had a multi-year contract, that might help the team, but Snow could have signed any FA goalie to fulfill the rest of the season, picking Nabokov just makes him look foolish and sadistic, haha.

It doesn't improve the Isles in any way as some people claim. It won't help them make playoffs and it doesn't position them for multi-year success even.

Old
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
It has nothing at all to do with cap circumvention.
of course it does. if you are a 4 million dollar a year player but you want to play for a team that only has 1 million in cap space, you go hang out in europe until you can play for that team for 1 million dollars.

thats cap circumvention, pure and simple

Old
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
He came back to the NHL for two reasons.

1) To have a chance at a cup
2) To earn a starting job next season

If he wanted to come back to play for the Islanders he would have signed with the Islanders.
He could have easily accomplished both those goals by signing in the off-season with a team of his choice.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:33 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafidelity View Post
Anyone know if this effects the Islanders waiver priority should he decline to report?
no, it doesnt. Waiver priority has never changed based on if you make a claim or not. Waive priority is always the inverse order of the standings by pt%. It's been that way for every CBA during my lifetime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLESnPANTHERS View Post
I say let Nabby chill in Russia till next season. Deuces.
*san jose

01-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
If Nabby refuses to play any portion of his contract, does that not mean that he would still be Islander property next season? Wouldn't he still owe the season on the contract before it ends? Like when a player leavers for Russia with a year remaining, he still owes that year before he can get a new contract. If so, couldn't the Islanders always trade him after this season without putting him back through waivers?

Old
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolanitis View Post
I believe the difference between Radulof and Nabokov is that Nabokov was UFA that was claimed through a waiver process and he owes no time in service beyond this year. The fact the Isles suspend him does not make the contract longer. As for Radulof, he never had ufa status and left in the middle of a contract. Therefore he cannot get ufa status until he completes his contract.
Nabokov is not currently a UFA though. He was in the middle of a contract with the Detroit Red Wings. He is now in the middle of a contract with the Islanders.

Old
SomeDude

Quote:

haha how is he NOT supposed to do it?

He improved his team, which is what he was hired to do.

Would Nabokov be more helpful to a team like Detroit, probably, but it's not like the Isles would have nothing to gain from adding Nabby.

Old
Mustang2750

I hope the Islanders make him sit all year.

Old
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglepride View Post
What really pisses me off is UFA players coming back from europe having nothing to say about where they want to go and also draft players having no say.

I'm sure the NHLPA will work heavily towards a more players interests league and rightfully so.
He does. he can say no as per the CBA, which is what he did.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
I love these comments. I'm sorry, but is Nabby not a human being? Is he wrong to do what makes him happy? Hes 35 years old. If he wanted to play for any team in the NHL, he would've signed for peanuts months ago. He didn't. He wanted to play for a contender, and he wanted to get paid. Now that he realizes he can't get paid, he accepts a lowball contract, but he still wants to play for a contender.

Nabby isn't some young kid. Hes a man with a family. And he has every right to choose to spend time with his family than go play for a team that has no future.

Its not like he got traded. Its not like he pulled a Radulov. He signed with the team that has the most illustrious history in the past 2 decades. He took a gamble and he lost. Now he'll wait it out, and guaranteed, when next season rolls around, he'll take the most reasonable offer that comes from a contending team.
Isn't that the definition of an *******. Does whatever makes them happy and everybody else can **** off.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Old
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
It doesn't really matter. The deal was signed on January 20th (or 21st) and is to be effective for a 5-month period.

Now, if Nabby signed something to the effect that the deal was signed on July 1st, that's his problem.
It does matter. His contract ends July 1 in the year it's completed. If he plays this year, that will be this July. If he's bound to the contract even after this season, it would be next July if he decides to follow through with it.

Old
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
and where have you gathered this information, oh wise one?

The Yashin situation, while from a previous CBA, sets a precident that a player can't just leave a team and take a year off and thus be let out of their contract.

The contract is binding for all of the NHL and until the Islanders sell that contract they own Nabokov.
The main difference is that Yashin (and Radulov) didn't execute his part of the contract for a whole season.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong. But expect a lawsuit against the League if Nabokov owes a full-season to the Isles, because that would be extending a deal without Nabokov's consent.

Old
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
of course it does. if you are a 4 million dollar a year player but you want to play for a team that only has 1 million in cap space, you go hang out in europe until you can play for that team for 1 million dollars.

thats cap circumvention, pure and simple
No it's not, you clearly don't know what circumvention means within the context of the salary cap.

Old
kolider

Quote:
Originally Posted by despec View Post
Maybe he wants to improve his team? Difficult concept I know.
Once again, I ask why now? The Isles are not making the post-season and Nabby will become a UFA next season anyways so the Isles can't sign him long-term.

Snow is doing it ass-backwards if he is trying to improve. If he could trade Nabby this season, it would make sense - but he can't.

Tell me why it is crucial to go from 28th to 22nd in the NHL on the heels of a pending UFA goalie who won't resign with you and wouldn't report if you picked him up anyways?

Old
01-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Skk82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
lol at Snow "Prying" Nabokov away from the Wings, get the **** out of here with that ********. Snow did nothing wrong, Lawson got hurt last night, and DP has been dealing with some knee and flu problems, and he wants Poulin in Bridgeport to continue his development. This is on Meehan and Nabokov for saying he would report to any team that claimed him.
Agreed. The memo they sent to every team said Nabokov wanted the chance to compete as a starter and highlight himself for his contract next season.

NYI would give him that chance.

Granted, there's no reason why he'd choose to go there, but if you send that memo, back it up. Roloson didn't do terribly and if Nabokov wanted to do what they said, he would get the chance.

Closed Thread