HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Drew Stafford and Andrej Sekera

Old
01-22-2011, 04:11 PM
dkollidas

vCash: 500
Drew Stafford and Andrej Sekera

What kind of picks/prospects would you be willing to give up for them. Either seperately or together?

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
What kind of picks/prospects would you be willing to give up for them. Either seperately or together?
I think the Pens would probably give up a second for Stafford without much hesitation and probably even a first...

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Havok89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
I think the Pens would probably give up a second for Stafford without much hesitation and probably even a first...
I think it would definitely have to be a first if it's coming from pittsburgh. Even then i see no reason to trade one of our only consistent scorers for a late first.

Havok89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok89 View Post
I think it would definitely have to be a first if it's coming from pittsburgh. Even then i see no reason to trade one of our only consistent scorers for a late first.
I don't blame you. The OP asked what kind of picks or prospects those guys would get; those are the picks I think the Pens would give up. I don't know enough about the Sabres prospect depth to offer any specific guys there.

Old
01-22-2011, 05:06 PM
dkollidas

Quote:
Agreed. I'm thinking more along the lines of an upper-level prospect (i.e. Hodgson/Schenn) for both. They're both young, can add to a roster right now, and are IMO a top-6 forward and for Sekera eventually a top-4 defenseman.

Old
01-22-2011, 07:06 PM
IKEA

Raymond straight up for Stafford

IKEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Havok89

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsuk View Post
Again, that wouldnt really help the sabres. Only way i can really see stafford leaving after the year he's had is in a package for a top 6 center, maybe jordan stall. Hes a big scoring winger with skill that could play with crosby or malkin, with an affordible cap hit for this year, and still unreached potential.

Old
01-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by barsuk View Post
It makes some sense, but I don't think the Sabres would do it. I'm a huge Raymond fan, but I think--and, more importantly, the Sabres front office likely thinks-- Stafford has the higher ceiling, though he is becoming a tad injury prone. i'd definitely consider it, though, especially if Buffalo is going to put Vanek at RW on a full-time basis. Ennis and Raymond could be the top-6 LW's, while Vanek and Pominville man the right side.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Seguins Dragon*

Wheeler straight up for Sekera

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Tra La La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguins Dragon View Post
Wheeler straight up for Sekera
I like Wheeler, but we need a center.

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 08:38 PM
CowbellConray

What would be a possible fit for a Staal for Stafford ++ deal?

Gives Crosby that possible top 6 scoring talent and Sabres get to rund a 1A 1B Center tandom of Roy and Staal.

Would a deal of:

Stafford, 1st in 2011, mid tier prospect

Staal

Would that work? Am I overpaying for Staal? Underpaying?

CowbellConray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowbellConray View Post

Gives Crosby that possible top 6 scoring talent and Sabres get to rund a 1A 1B Center tandom of Roy and Staal.

Would a deal of:

Staal

Overpayment by the Sabres but at the same time the Pens wouldn't accept that deal seeing as if they truly were willing to unload Staal they could presumably acquire a heck of a lot better winger than Stafford. Buffalo should hold onto that pick, Pittsburgh should hold onto Staal.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 08:43 PM
Tra La La

Quote:

Would a deal of:

Staal

I don't think I'll ever be a Jordan Staal fan. ( Had that debate over and over, I don't see it)

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Havok89

Quote:

Would a deal of:

Staal

I'd do Stafford + Pysyk for Stall.
Pittsburgh's in a win-now mode so our first rounder doesnt do much for them

Old
01-22-2011, 08:53 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
I'd do Stafford + Pysyk for Stall.
Pittsburgh's in a win-now mode so our first rounder doesnt do much for them
Neither does shipping out Staal for Stafford.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Havok89

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Neither does shipping out Staal for Stafford.
Legit top-6 goal scoring winger on pace for nearly 30 goals despite an injury ridden season at half the cap hit of Stall doesnt help pittsburgh? Crosby needs a player like stafford on his wing , dupuis isnt gonna cut it if you guys meet philly in the playoffs.

Old
01-22-2011, 09:04 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Legit top-6 goal scoring winger on pace for nearly 30 goals despite an injury ridden season at half the cap hit of Stall doesnt help pittsburgh? Crosby needs a player like stafford on his wing , dupuis isnt gonna cut it if you guys meet philly in the playoffs.
On pace for 30 doesn't mean much when he's never score that before. Staal is younger and better at pretty much everything.

Old
01-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Pitt's Best #87 #66

Quote:
Staal has scored 29 goals, outscored Stafford in points in every season so far, and is 3 years younger than Stafford.

I'd love for Stafford to play with Crosby but if the price is Staal then I doubt it ever happens.

Pens could be interested in Sekera too if they trade Goligoski. He would look very good on our bottom pairing and is cheap.

Pitt's Best #87 #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Havok89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
On pace for 30 doesn't mean much when he's never score that before. Staal is younger and better at pretty much everything.
In 52 more regular season games Stall has 8 more points than Stafford, on a much better team i might add. Stafford comes with a much lower cap hit to give pittsburgh some flexibility. And The offer was Stafford ++ for Stall to make up for the difference. Pittsburgh is strong up the middle and needs a dangerous scoring winger, however everyone has their own opinion.

Old
01-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Pens won't get better trading Staal, imo. I suppose if they got offered a top line winger then maybe they'd have to think about it a little, but still. He's not the greatest scorer or the prettiest offensive player to watch, but he's so damn effective and valuable to his team that it'd be hard to trade him away. His defense and pk ability are already great. He can score 20+ goals and close to 50 points when healthy and there's probably still some untapped offensive potential in him since he's only 22.

Not sure the Pens could make the greatest offer for Stafford but he does fill a need and I could see them offering good picks and prospects for a guy like him.

Like Pitt's Best #87 #66 said, Sekera's a guy the Pens could look at if they move Gogo along at some point.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
yes, these two are finally coming into their own in their early 20s... and the Sabres are going to trade them for pick/prospects.

Unless you are coming with a top 6 center, a top tier center prospect, or an established goal scorer... don't bother making an offer.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 09:58 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
First off, I'm a Sabres fan. Secondly, there's no reason for them to destroy their center depth and a developing strong two-way center for Stafford, who is showing signs but we can't say for sure he is finally putting it together over a consistent basis. The successful teams nowadays are the one that have terrific center depth. Crosby is good enough that it hasn't really hurt them that their wingers are sub par. Plus Stafford is RFA and will be getting a pay raise, so it won't be half the cap hit come next year.

Old
01-22-2011, 10:08 PM
The Instigator

vCash: 900
I'd love to have Sekera on the Caps, and would definitely cough up a 2nd for him. But that's just moi.

The Instigator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:26 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkin007 View Post
I'd love to have Sekera on the Caps, and would definitely cough up a 2nd for him. But that's just moi.
A 2nd wouldn't be enough from a Sabres POV

Old
01-22-2011, 11:29 PM
dkollidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
yes, these two are finally coming into their own in their early 20s... and the Sabres are going to trade them for pick/prospects.

Unless you are coming with a top 6 center, a top tier center prospect, or an established goal scorer... don't bother making an offer.
I agree that Sekera and Stafford are improving and maturing, but in my personal opinion I really feel like Sekera will end up like Kalinin. All that talent I just doubt he'll put it all together. and with Myers, Weber, Brennan, Schiestel, Pysyk and McNabb in the pipeline, along with Leopold signed for another two years,I think the Sabres will have enough depth on defense to part with Sekera. Especially if it was as one of the above posters mentioned, for Wheeler. That could make Stafford expendable.

As for Stafford, I believe he is getting better... much better. The Buffalo News last year wrote an article about him and his "band" and I really think he didn't take hockey as seriously as those guys who are really good top line forwards do. I believe he came into this year with a more focused, professional attitude and it's showing in his performance.

But I believe that if the Sabres can get a return of a top-6 center like a Jordan Staal, David Backes, Ryan Kesler, Joe Pavelski, or even Derick Brassard or Paul Stasny. I understand most of these guys are not on the block. And that you might have to overpay for them... But I believe that a big move is needed to make this team into a real contender again. Similar to what was done when the team traded for Briere and Drury. They brought two guys to lead this team and built around them with a few other acquisitions (Dumont, Grier, Numminen, Lydman) along with homegrown talent (Vanek, Afinogenov, Roy, Tallinder, Miller, Pominville).

Personally, if a package of Stafford and draft picks/prospects could net us a guy like Pavelski, or even better, Staal, I'd do it. In my opinion Staal is THE guy the Sabres need. Plays strong along the boards, great defensively, can be 25-30goal 50-60point guy.

I say use Stafford and either deal him and a low level prospect for Backes, or package him with prospects/picks for Staal. While it may seem an overpayment if you end up giving Stafford+2011 1st+ Gerbe or Stafford+2011 2nd+ Luke Adam + T.J. Brennan now, I believe that Staal is a player who will be worth it. But again, just my opinion.